PDA

View Full Version : Cock and Dick

May 12th, 2006, 16:18
Cock and Dick are often seen as farang names. Thais won't dare call themselves Mr Cock, Mrs Dick, Mr Bendover, Mr Gay.

Also, though Ju (falling tone) is a polite Thai slang for cock, no Thai boys/men use it as their first name or nickname either. But, strange enough several Thai girls/women have nickname "Jim" ( falling tone ) which is a polite slang for fanny. :drunken:

May 12th, 2006, 18:13
Cock and Dick are often seen as farang names.

I knew a man named Harry Dick, a cute young German named Harry Schmuck and a Chinese\Filipino woman called Tee-tee. (Tagalog for, cock.)
There was a boy in school, Marty Bates, whom one teacher insisted upon calling, Master Bates--And I worked with a Chinese man named Chuck Wow.

May 12th, 2006, 19:20
I believe you will find that "juu", which is the word Thai kids use for penis (a la "wee wee") has RISING tone.

May 12th, 2006, 22:16
BG, please help me. I am genuinely a little confused how farangs interpret Thai tones. You mention in the global forum that the 5 Thai tones are :

low
middle
high
rising
falling

However, Thais literally call the 5 tones as :-

Base (ordinary, normal)
First
Second
Third
Fourth

in tonal order from lowest to highest. Therefore, Fourth is the highest tone for example.

My question : Is "Falling" the highest tone too ?

Thanks.

May 12th, 2006, 22:22
in East London there used to be a pub I went to once or twice called the Cock and Comfort

May 12th, 2006, 22:29
High, middle, and low are constant tones -- they don't go up or down, but stay on the same pitch. So "chaa" as a low tone means "numb"; as a middle tone is means "tea"; and as a high tone it means "slow".

Rising starts starts low and ends up somewhere in the middle. Like the Thai word "maa" (dog). Be careful, though, because as a high tone the same "maa" means horse.

Falling starts high and ends up somewhere in the middle. For example, the word "chawp" (to like).

Smiles
May 12th, 2006, 23:27
There is a website (probably more than one) which has as one of it's areas an interactive "Learning Thai" section. There is a page regarding tones, and you can click on the various words to hear the tone itself. It's very speedy ... not the usual long loading times.

Boygeenyus will probably be more expert as to whether it's of any use or not (I don't speak Thai besides the most basic stuff), but I found it interesting and you might as well: http://www.learningthai.com/tones/index.html

Cheers ...

Dboy
May 13th, 2006, 03:29
There's also a "Learning Thai" Podcast:

http://www.podcast.net/show/5669

Dboy

Aunty
May 13th, 2006, 06:41
Just as well there isn't a language called Dick then.

catawampuscat
May 13th, 2006, 08:00
I like the word "toot" which is slang for ass.. If you know a couple of Thai adjectives, toot is a fun word to use with the boys.. I have no idea of the tone
but if you say toot suay (beautiful butt) or toot yai( big butt), it usually gets a laugh.. Learning a little Thai goes a long way with the boys and is worth
the effort to learn..One friend had a book of gay Thai expressions and is was fun to look thru..

May 13th, 2006, 12:32
I like the word "toot" which is slang for ass.. If you know a couple of Thai adjectives, toot is a fun word to use with the boys.. I have no idea of the tone
but if you say toot suay (beautiful butt) or toot yai( big butt), it usually gets a laugh.. Learning a little Thai goes a long way with the boys and is worth
the effort to learn..One friend had a book of gay Thai expressions and is was fun to look thru..

I have been practicing a little Thai and found the word toot in a book a few days ago (phonetically correct but I think is spelt differently). The other day I was in Krazy dragon with a 'friend' and one of the 'men' boys (straight), came up to me and kept asking to go to my room. I told him, in probably very poor Thai (grammatically at least) that 'Pum yet ruu toot kun dai mai' - 'Can I fuck you in the asshole'. It had the desired affect, he grabbed his own ass, screamed and ran, leaving me and several boys laughing. :cheers:

May 13th, 2006, 15:05
I remember once visiting a pub in the East End in the late 70's called the Cock and Comfort and finding neither, never went back.

May 13th, 2006, 20:44
I remember once visiting a pub in the East End in the late 70's called the Cock and Comfort and finding neither, never went back.

But found both at The Kings Head...Holland Park Walk...Hampstead Heath...Brompton Cemetary....

May 13th, 2006, 21:51
I never went near Brompton Cemetery !

And as I lived in Notting Hill ( before it was famous) I only went to Holland Park Walk for a nightly constitutional just
as the great BBC interviewer Sir Robin Day did occasionally around mid-night where he was once mugged by a ruffian.