PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian-Irish wedding causes consternation

RonanTheBarbarian
December 21st, 2011, 04:55
There was consternation recently when the news reached Malaysia that a Malaysian guy living in Dublin had got hitched to an Irishman.

According to reports: "Ariff Alfian Rosli, a Malaysian national who has been studying in Ireland for eight years, is under fire from his home country after photos were published showing his wedding to his civil partner"..."The pictures were published on the front pages of some local newspapers and have been the source of criticism from numerous political groups in Malaysia, where same-sex sexual relationships are illegal and punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Muslim groups have also been quick to condemn Ariff Alfian, with the Kepong Islamic Youth Organisation (PBIK) lodging a police report yesterday over his alleged failure to adhere to MalaysiaтАЩs Islamic laws. Other critics have taken a different tack, preferring instead to тАЬrehabilitateтАЭ what they saw as a Muslim who had strayed far from the teachings of Islam.

An official from MalaysiaтАЩs ruling political party is reportedly due to arrive in Dublin later this week to convince Mr Rosli to return home."

That official should have quite the job!

What argument would you use to convince a guy to return home to face the possibilty of a 20 year prison sentence? :idea1:

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/12/gay-ma ... z1h7MYHeBl (http://www.towleroad.com/2011/12/gay-malaysian-mans-wedding-in-ireland-sparks-fury-at-home-government-action.html#ixzz1h7MYHeBl)

The reports are a bit confusing on the marriage issue. Same sex partners cannot get married in ireland, there is only civil partnerships. But most people and media organisations in Ireland seem to have ignored this since civil partnerships came in in ireland. and call them "a marriage" or "wedding". It has pretty much the same rights and responsibilities.

Brad the Impala
December 23rd, 2011, 18:16
"Oh to see ourselves as others see us" or something like that. Extraordinary that the Malaysians can't see how backward this makes them look to most civilized countries. Perhaps they just don't care and this is being played out for a domestic audience. I hadn't thought that the brand of Islam in Malaysia was this intolerant, or are they becoming more fundamentalist?

Beachlover
December 28th, 2011, 07:31
What a lovely looking couple...

Extraordinary that the Malaysians can't see how backward this makes them look to most civilized countries.
Totally agree with this comment... I think they just lack maturity. For example, talking about sex is very taboo in Malaysia. Where as in Australia, it's pretty normal. Some Malaysians tell me when they first came to Australia, they went red and cringed every time the topic came up, whether in an advertisement or in conversation.

Fortunately, as a gay guy visiting Malaysia, none of this affects you much, as long as you're not a local ethnic-Malay (i.e. Muslim). They don't impose all this religious stuff on the other races (i.e. Chinese, Indians, Caucasians) there.