PDA

View Full Version : Memento mori

PeterUK
December 14th, 2011, 11:05
A friend of mine is convinced that Thais have no sense of the incongruous and, by way of example, told me of a trip he recently made to Buriram Hospital to visit a sick Thai friend. He said that, whereas in England we might expect to see stalls selling flowers, fruit or get-well cards outside a hospital, the one in Buriram has a big store opposite selling hundreds of white coffins. 'What an encouraging sight for the patients!' he said, rolling his eyes. I told him not to be so sure that only Thais could do something like that (though I agree they do have a knack). Near where I used to live in London there is a small hospital with a war memorial directly outside the entrance, the inscription of which, in large letters, reads, 'To Our Glorious Dead'.

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2011, 20:40
Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware, you're supposed to goto the temple, and buy some yellow flowers there before going to the hospital.

Besides, we have McDonalds in some of our hospitals...

December 14th, 2011, 23:14
Maybe I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware, you're supposed to goto the temple, and buy some yellow flowers there before going to the hospital.

are you implying they use the dead to make their burgers with ??

cdnmatt
December 15th, 2011, 01:55

http://i.imgur.com/fsvG8.gif

jinks
December 15th, 2011, 02:24

Did you not see the movie Solent Green ?

francois
December 15th, 2011, 04:09
Did you not see the movie Solent Green ?

Det. Thorn: It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Thanks for the reminder, Jinks.

pong
December 16th, 2011, 08:48
outside a hospital, the one in Buriram has a big store opposite selling hundreds of white coffins. 'What an encouraging sight for the patients!' he said, rolling his eyes.
This is not just Thai-it struck me in Italia too when I went there last sept/oct. Many bisnisses doing that-organising the engravement. Just practical-that is a very Thai thing. Their bisnis always seem to spot the right offer/demand at the right place