PDA

View Full Version : DELETED

May 12th, 2006, 12:34
DELETED

May 12th, 2006, 17:02
Well I am back from the mostly warm and sunny UK!

As you may remember I was flying with Eva and this is the first time I have used the new 777 .

John, what is your opinion on the A/C on the new 777's?

I returned from a return trip to the UK on the new 777's a few weeks ago with the b/f. He suffered very badly on both legs of the trip with terrible a terrible runny nose which started about 5 hours into the flight. A number of other people also complained about the same problem and although the A/C was adjusted slighty there did seem to be a much colder air blast than on the old 747's.

For two days after both flight he was sufferring from a really bad head cold and is now not looking forward so much to the trip to the UK that I have booked for his 19th birthday in October.

He found the only way to reduce the nasal problem was to cover his mouth and nose with the duvet on the plane to warm the air before breathing it in. We travelled Premier Laurel so maybe the front section is more prone to this than the other sections. Personally I did not find it uncomfortable although the air was certainly more chilled than on the 747's.

Any suggestions as to how to reduce this discomfort during the flight would be gratefully received as at the moment I have an 18 year old b/f becoming increasingly concerned about doing the trip again in October for his 19th birthday present.

Doug
May 12th, 2006, 17:23
This was a very timely post for me. Yesterday I booked my flight from Toronto in September with EVE and their Evergreen Deluxe seats. I don't know which planes will be usectually the part of the flight between Toronto and Vancouver will be Air Canada economy but the rest will be economy plus. As I have always flown economy, I hope it is the treat my 6'2" frame expects.

I just love the little jolt of euphoria I get when I book the flight. This time I will be staying 3 months in preparation for a final move. My Thai friend...not bed friend...will be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for us. Happy days!!

May 12th, 2006, 17:41
This was a very timely post for me. Yesterday I booked my flight from Toronto in September with EVE and their Evergreen Deluxe seats. I don't know which planes will be usectually the part of the flight between Toronto and Vancouver will be Air Canada economy but the rest will be economy plus. As I have always flown economy, I hope it is the treat my 6'2" frame expects.
!

My company here in Bangkok use EVA as our company carrier whenever possible.

The seats in EVA Deluxe on the 747's are, from reports of colleagues, more comfortable than on the new 777's. This appears to be because of the actual shape of the seats rather than any difference in leg room or width. The new shape gives the feeling that the seats are in fact smaller although the stats show this is no so.

May 12th, 2006, 22:08
... the last trip on Eva I had - there were two queens next to me, one gam and another gwm, both getting on in their years, and they both wore surgical masks, for obvious reasons. It looked so funny, but to each their own.

May 12th, 2006, 22:19
You catch a cold from a virus.. not from being exposed to cold air. Cold air actually lessens the transmission of airborne viruses. Although uncomfortable, the only thing it will do is possibly irritate your sinus/allergy problems. I've always found overseas flights to be freezing and always wear a sweatshirt (which quickly gets stuffed away in my suitcase upon arriving in BKK and never used again until my return flight LOL)

GWMinUS
May 13th, 2006, 05:10
Yes, I find the best thing to do is "layer up".
You can add or subtract shirts and tops as you need to.
And use the blanket.

Asking for the AirCon to be turned down is a waste of time.
I think they use it to keep the ice cream bars frozen!!!
:clown:

I have flown EVA Deluxe on the 474 and found it very comfortable.
Sorry to read so many bad reports on the 777 that EVA is adopting!!

Next trip is not until January. Will see what they are flying from LAX at that time.
I like to go through Taipei, because I have a good Chinese friend there.
So flying direct on Thai is not as attractive.

Cheers!!!

Doug
May 13th, 2006, 21:35
On reading Eva's confirmation email more closely, I notice a statement that says Eva cannot insure the Evergree/Elite/Y** seat class on the southwest asian leg of the flights. The trans-ocean part is confirmed but not the flight from Taipae to Bangkok.

I suspect with Taipae as their hub many flights arrive at the same time and there may be more Y** customers than seats for the onward leg. I wonder if I would be reimbursed if I had to fly economy.

May 13th, 2006, 21:47
I wonder if I would be reimbursed if I had to fly economy.

Obviously not. They've covered their butt.

I notice a statement that says Eva cannot insure the Evergree/Elite/Y** seat class on the southwest asian leg of the flights. The trans-ocean part is confirmed but not the flight from Taipae to Bangkok.

May 14th, 2006, 06:38
I agree with John that the 777's are not as comfortable as the 747's and the in flight entertainment system is a nightmare to understand. Last time I went with EVA to Brisbane the first leg was on a 777 and frankly I was happy to get out of the thing.

May 14th, 2006, 13:36
I agree with John that the 777's are not as comfortable as the 747's and the in flight entertainment system is a nightmare to understand. Last time I went with EVA to Brisbane the first leg was on a 777 and frankly I was happy to get out of the thing.

What part of the entertainment system did you find confusing?

If you are not comfortable using the removable armrest control unit then all of the functions are available as 'touch screen' selections.

The system is far superior to the 747's with videos on demand and if the mood grabs you then you can even phone the b/f using the reverse of the handset control panel to tell him exactly where you are, albeit at around $8 a minute :bom:

Smiles
May 14th, 2006, 19:23
I flew EVA from Seattle to Bangkok in April. First leg was 12 hours in a B-747 (Seattle ~ Taipae) . . . 2nd leg was 3.5 hrs. in a B-777 (Taipae ~ Bangkok), and I just wished it had of been the other way 'round.

The 777 was far superior in terms of comfort (seats, head support and leg room ~ though I grant that in Economy the leg room is never enough, no matter which airline or plane). The little TV's located in the back of each seat on the 777 beat the 747's antiquated choiceless entertainment heads down. Apparently EVA is replacing their old 747's with 777's on many routes in the near future, and can't wait.
But if/when I fly EVA again it will be 'Evergreen' Class (or 'Elite', or whatever the step up from Economy is called) from now on whatever the plane type.

Cheers ...

Doug
May 14th, 2006, 19:40
The individual TVs in the seatbacks are a vast improvement over the large cabin screen. I wear glasses to read and I find the distance between the seatback screen and my eyes is a little to close without glasses and a little to far with glasses. I try adjusting the sea tbut then my neck gets sore.

I know....picky picky.

May 15th, 2006, 04:17
Economy seats on EVA may be better on the 777, but I do not think that is the case in the economy deluxe section. The seats on the 747 are bigger and leg room is more plentiful. The elite seating on the 777 is poorly designed with no room for outstretched legs as many of the seats in front of you have metal casings underneath blocking any room for your feet. The video system is far superior on the 777, but that is not enough compensation to make up for the poorly designed seating on a long haul flight. On my last 777 flight there was not even enough room under the seat in front of me to store a small carryon. If and when EVA starts using the 777 on its longer flights to the US, I will switch airlines.

2lz2p
May 15th, 2006, 11:58
I flew EVA last year to USA in Evergreen Deluxe - definitely worth the couple hundred extra dollars. At that time EVA was flying either a 747 or an Airbus between Taipei and Bangkok - The airbus did not include a deluxe class in its configuration == if you selected a date when it was the Airbus, then you fly that leg in economy (happened to me on my inbound leg back to BKK - fortunately, this leg is only a little over 3 hours. The airfare was the same - no discount for having one or two legs of the tirp in economy. However, I think they are flying only 747 and 777 on that route at this time - both equipped with deluxe/elite class.

I will be doing the trip again in a about 3 months - booking already made and seat selected for outbound legs - can select seats for return in early june (100 days in advance). When I booked, outbound legs were both on 747 and the two inbound legs on the 777 (LAX-TPE-BKK). I just checked flight schedules on EVA web site and it now shows my first leg on the return flight (LAX-TPE) to be on a 747 with the 2nd leg still on a 777 (TPE-BKK). So if elite seats on 777 are not as roomy, at least it now appears that will only be for the short flight - so should be better than the economy seat I had last year for the same leg.

May 15th, 2006, 12:07
DELETED

May 15th, 2006, 12:57
Whenever I fly domestic I always find the cabin air too warm and always look forward to international flights when I know the air will at least be cool if not downright cold.

"This is the first time I have flown economy with Eva .... I think I would still choose to go elite if able to as long as the prices remain competative".

I am without a return ticket to the UK at the moment and the deals that are on offer at travel agents and on previously mentiioned websites all seem to run out around June. I hope (if the money lasts now) to return home Aug/Sept. Does anyone have experience or views of the best time to book a ticket as I don't want to pay over the odds now and then find cheaper deals a month or so before I fly. Alternatively I don't want to be stranded without a plane ticket home.

Doug
May 15th, 2006, 22:55
I just received my ticket for next september. On checking it over, I noticed the the fare was listed as $2340...not the $1771 I expected. I looked at my email confirmation and it said $1771. In mild panic I phoned Eva and they informed me that the price on the ticket was their regular fare not the reduced fare I was receiving. As my heart rate slows, it's nice to know how much I am saving but they should have included an explanation with the ticket.

Now...where do I safely hide away my ticket 'til september.... place I won't forget. Oooh the perils of age-onset forgetfulness.

May 15th, 2006, 23:43
Doug
I keep all my travel documents in my suitcase when not travelling - this includes passport, holiday insurance , left over traverllers cheques and cash {not much of either worst luck} and other bits and bobs I use on holiday.

EVA - only 3 weeks to go before I try out the economy class on the 777, used the enhanced economy before so will report back later.

Brian

Doug
May 16th, 2006, 01:24
Brian

Excellent suggestion. Three weeks for you but 3 months+ for me. I'm envious now but when you're back, I'm still going. Have a great time!

TOQ
May 16th, 2006, 01:28
Brian

Excellent suggestion. Three weeks for you but 3 months+ for me. I'm envious now but when you're back, I'm still going. Have a great time!

Looks like Doug is being left behind. I leave in about 3 - 4 weeks myself.. June 7th. Cant wait.. Cya at Montys Pool.. Gin&Tonic in hand :)

john

May 16th, 2006, 01:28
The "Metal Case" under the seat ahead of you on the 777 houses the entertainment system for that row (The box is actually only under the window seat). The Airbus 340 that Thai uses also has the same "box" under the window seat. Best to avoid booking window seats if you have long legs.

I will be trying Thai's non-stop flight from LA to BKK in about 4 weeks. Booked in Econ Deluxe. I'll let everyone know how I like it compared to EVA. Anyone else going to be visiting Pattaya end of June?

TOQ
May 16th, 2006, 01:30
The "Metal Case" under the seat ahead of you on the 777 houses the entertainment system for that row (The box is actually only under the window seat). The Airbus 340 that Thai uses also has the same "box" under the window seat. Best to avoid booking window seats if you have long legs.

That is excellant info, thanks Jake,

john