PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your mobile phone number as a tourist in Thailand

christianpfc
December 10th, 2011, 01:10
Keeping your mobile phone number as a tourist in Thailand

How is it possible to keep oneтАЩs SIM card and phone number as a tourist (visiting Thailand twice per year)? This is not the first topic I open about SIM cards in Thailand.

My tale of woe / The nightmare continues

August 2009: First holiday in Thailand. By arbitrary SIM card in MBK (a one-two-call Freedom SIM).

January 2010: Second holiday in Thailand. SIM card is still valid.

April 2010: SIM card expires. Two weeks before expiry, I send it to Farang (ex-) friend, including 500 Baht in the letter so he can charge it. It gets lost on the way (or my Farang (ex-) friend loses it when he is drunk or a Thai he lured into his room steals it because he didnтАЩt pay him).

IтАЩm a clever boy, I have a copy of all my phone numbers (during each holiday, I write them down on paper and save them in my phone; after each holiday, I type them into my computer).

June 2010: Third holiday. I go to MBK ground floor (I think the shop was called Telewiz), and there I get a new SIM card, onto which my old number is transferred. The service is free, I just pay for topping up. I register this card under my name (the form is in Thai, at that time I couldnтАЩt read Thai, so I donтАЩt know what I signed).

The card expires a few weeks before my following holiday.

December 2011: Fourth holiday. I cannot make or receive calls on this SIM card. The balance that remained after my holiday is lost. After topping up, everything works fine. So there seems to be a period of some weeks after the card expires, where the balance is lost but the number is still in the system and becomes reactivated upon topping up. I thought I found the solution to all my problems, but didnтАЩt write about it on the forums because I wanted to confirm my findings by a second experiment.

The card expires sometime in spring 2011.

August 2011: Fifth holiday. I try to top up. It doesnтАЩt work. Damn! The following day, I go to MBK ground floor shop and inquire. They send me to Siam Paragon 4th floor. The card expired and my number has been issued on a new card, which is not in use but somewhere out in a shop. I canтАЩt get my old number back. I get a new SIM card with a new number. Again, I pay only for top up. Clever boy, I took my old expired SIM card and they copy all my saved phone number onto the new SIM card.

(Current card has validity until January 2012, I will be back in December 2011.)

One solution I see for this problem is transferral of balance or validity. For a small amount of money (I think 3 Baht per transaction), you can transfer balance or validity from one card to another. My cards are usually valid three months, but my holidays are six months apart. So I just need 3 months validity from a Thai friend. (I wanted to try this validity transfer several times, but always forgot or postponed until it was too late.) So basically I need a Thai friend whose validity grows faster than time passes by, whereas for me itтАЩs the other way round.

(There were a few reports about Thai boys playing with your phone and transferring balance to their phone, but I wouldnтАЩt let someone play with my phone; and when I let someone make a call on my phone I watch closely what he dials.)

There are various call schemes (strangely, they call them тАЬpromotionтАЭ), usually top up 100 Baht gives a validity of one week. But I do not want to study telecommunication science, I just want one phone number and cheap calls and SMS, one price 24/7.

So far, I spent many, many hours research on the internet, about 1000 Baht and about two half days of my hard earned and deserved holiday and I still donтАЩt fell much closer to this very simple issue.

Do you have suggestions? I want something simple and easy and cheap.

At least I cannot complain about the service. In Telewiz and the AIS shop I was served with not much waiting and the people seemed competent and the service was free, I only paid for topping up.

Comparison to Europe: In Germany, this practice has been outlawed. I still have the same SIM card as then years ago and make a few calls every time I visit friends and relatives, which is once or twice a year. I keep my number and balance.

United Kingdom: SIM card expires after 3 months of inactivity, remaining balance is lost (personal experience). France the same.

From England, I have good experience with Lebara (cheap international calls and a very simple pricing scheme), so I took Lebara again in France. From France to Thailand 9 c/min to a mobile, 1 c/min to a landline, 15 c/SMS, 15 c/connection. Very simple, even I can understand.

Final notice: I am not a phone person, in Europe I make on average two phone calls per months, and on one average day in Thailand I exchange about ten calls/SMS.

GWMinUS
December 10th, 2011, 01:37
Yes, I had the same problem when I travel to the Philippines.
The SIM expires after 3 months unless used.
So I just leave my SIM with a friend and let him put it in his mobile and make a few calls before it expires.
When I come back in 6 months, I can top off the SIM and make calls with my old number.
I should think you can do the same in Thailand???
George

Rush, Yet Again
December 10th, 2011, 03:36
I have service with DTAC for the phone I use in Thailand. I used to top it up on every trip which extended the existing credits for three months. Gave me a good reason to make sure I hit Thailand again within the quarter. Last trip I let my Thai friend handle the extension and he scoffed at the idea of buying more minutes. He punched in some numbers, followed the directions (in Thai) on the screen, and extended my credits for a full year at no cost.

YouтАЩd probably be able to do the same by dealing with one of DTACтАЩs offices directly; theyтАЩve always been helpful when IтАЩve used them. They can be found at most of the larger malls in Bangkok - there is one at Central World, and the office in the Robinson complex by the Saphin Taksin BTS station has a free water fountain next to it.

Beachlover
December 10th, 2011, 10:05
While we're on the subject of mobile providers... does anyone know which ones support tethering? I know DTAC doesn't on their tourist pre-paid sim.

Tethering would allow me to setup a mobile WiFi spot on my phone so my laptop can feed off its internet connection.

--

There's a DTAC shop at the airport too... Can't remember exactly where but it's on the same wall where the exit doors to the outside are. Think it's on the arrival level.

--

Christian LOL... I love how no detail is too small for you to post (not being sarcastic).

You have a lot of patience to research all this. I haven't bothered to keep track of what expires when for Thailand. Not sure if it's worth the head space unless I start spending a lot of time in one country.

I keep my home country SIM card in my main phone. Every time I land in a new country I put a local SIM card into a second phone I carry. If I don't already have a SIM card for that country I buy a new one straight away at the airport.

I have 7 SIM cards in my travel wallet. If I put in an old SIM card and it doesn't work, I find a shop in the airport. If they can't get it working, I just ditch it and buy a new one straight away. I prefer to get this administrative stuff sorted before I leave the airport so I don't have to find a 7-11 or remember to find a phone shop at the local shopping centre when I hit the city.

--

I keep all my contacts synched with my Google account so I never lose them and can transfer them seamlessly. You should also be able to save them onto your phone so you'll always have them no matter what SIM card you put in.

Not sure if this is actually necessary but I also save everyone's number twice under their contact. I save it as you would dial it locally and I save it as you would dial it internationally (i.e. take off the "0" and add "+66" to the front). That way I can dial them normally when local and if sending them an SMS from abroad I can select "mobile international" to ensure it gets through.

UncleTom
December 10th, 2011, 11:53
While we're on the subject of mobile providers... does anyone know which ones support tethering? I know DTAC doesn't on their tourist pre-paid sim.

Tethering would allow me to setup a mobile WiFi spot on my phone so my laptop can feed off its internet connection.

I just use my One2Call (AIS) 3G regular sim card purchased from a Family Mart for 50B and the Mobile AP facility with tethering.

24 hours unlimited 3G is 49 Baht (key *138*49#), but there are lots of other options on the AIS website

gaymandenmark
December 10th, 2011, 13:31
My answer on GB:
I have a True Move SIM card. It is valid for 12 month after the last top-up. I have had it, and the same number, for at least 4 or 5 years, and have being travelling to Thailand on the interval of 4, 6. 8, 10 and 11 month. Next time it will expire is in May 2012. And for obvious reasons I hope to be back before.
There is no subscription. unfortunately I think they have changed the rules for new SIM cards, but mine is still working without. The one I use is called Inter SIM.

Christianpfc, I can also make very cheap overseas calls with that SIM, using the prefix 00600+, from 1 baht pr. minut, I think it is a good solution for you, dear

Go to the True Shop in Suvannabumi, there is also an AIS shop, if you prefer that company. The True Shop has always given me good service, and made sure that my number is still working, but I am sure both shops are used to travellers like us, and can give you directions to the SIM that suits you.
The first thing I do when I arrive in BKK is to go to that shop in the airport, to make it clear that my number is still working and then top-up. Because I also have had problems with SIM-cards and had to run from Silom Complex to MBK to Paragon and back to some kind of a headquarter in Silom Road.
There are also so many different kinds of SIM-cards with different rules, that we need professional guidance to identify what is our needs.

ceejay
December 10th, 2011, 14:05
Go to the True Shop in Suvannabumi
Where is that please GMD? I usually just get a cheap SIM from 7-11, but next year I am going to need a card that will make international calls.
Thanks

gra46
December 10th, 2011, 14:32
Where is that please GMD? I usually just get a cheap SIM from 7-11, but next year I am going to need a card that will make international calls.
Thanks
True move is valid for 12 months ,i been going to thailand now 5 years and never once had a problem ,same number every time ,top up any 7/11
i even lost my phone ,all i had to do is go to a true move store with passport and i was issued a new sim with same number and all the credit on it.
True move is international and is active in my country .true move is on level 2 (arrivals) in Suvarnabhumi airport
I hope this helps you ceejay

gaymandenmark
December 10th, 2011, 19:41
Thanks

Landside after arrival.

True move is valid for 12 months .....

Not all of them, at least today you have to ask for it, to be sure.

Beachlover
December 11th, 2011, 11:52
While we're at it... can anyone tell me if it's possible to get all the administrative messages from DTAC or AIS in English? Once I activate, I get all these texts in Thai. I assume just they're giving instructions or telling my how much credit I have left or that another day's internet has just been activated... but it's annoying being blind to what they're saying.

I just use my One2Call (AIS) 3G regular sim card purchased from a Family Mart for 50B and the Mobile AP facility with tethering.
24 hours unlimited 3G is 49 Baht (key *138*49#), but there are lots of other options on the AIS website
Sweet... thanks for that. I'll stop heading for the DTAC counter (seems to be the most visible) and look for an AIS one next time. Thais tell me AIS and DTAC both have the best reception.

I have a True Move SIM card... I can also make very cheap overseas calls with that SIM, using the prefix 00600+, from 1 baht pr. minut
Thanks... that's actually really helpful.

Does anyone else know any other SIM cards there that offer cheap international calls? If I need to I can buy a second SIM and stick it in a third phone...

christianpfc
December 11th, 2011, 22:39
Every time I land in a new country I put a local SIM card into a second phone I carry. If I don't already have a SIM card for that country I buy a new one straight away at the airport.
That's very clever. I learned it the hard way: When I went to Lao I thought I could get by with my Thai SIM card. Two short calls, and the remaining balance (between 100 and 200 Baht) was gone, and I could neither call nor receive calls from a friend, but I could see that he was calling me. I had to ask someone at the market to make a call with his phone, how embarrassing! The following day, I bought a SIM card for Lao.

If I put in an old SIM card and it doesn't work, I find a shop in the airport. If they can't get it working, I just ditch it and buy a new one straight away.

This means you get a new number every time you buy a new SIM card. That's what I want to avoid. I have a lot of regulars, so I want to keep my number so I don't have to tell everyone my new number.

jinks
December 11th, 2011, 22:48
I use DTAC = Happy....

I lost my SIM in Las Vegas, and sent them an e-mail, after 2 return messages confirming ID etc

My number is suspended until I arrive at BKK, Level 2 near door 7, their Shop open 24/7.

I will get a new card with my old number. My existing credits saved.
I will also be getting a 3G microSim for my iPad2.

Beachlover
December 13th, 2011, 22:41
Christian... I gather you spend most of your time abroad in Thailand so it does make sense for you to keep the one number there. I only have a few people I keep in regular contact with in Thailand and they know my Australian number first. Most of the time I only drop in for 2-3 nights or 1-2 weeks at most. I spend most of my time in other Asian countries.

The other thing to consider is how people contact you once you've left Thailand. Whenever I meet someone I might care about, I always give them my home country mobile number first and tell them that's the main number to call/SMS. Then I give them my Thai number and tell them that's only for the next few days.

The reason for this is they might send me messages or try to call me after I've left and I won't get it as I will have removed my Thai SIM from my phone (not to mention I don't know if it has global roaming enabled). I would rather they message my home country phone as that is always active no matter what country I'm in. I seem to get a lot of "how are you" messages from one night stands a few days later! The same goes with the phone number I give to hotels and other businesses... although for restaurants, I give my Thai number.

danny99
December 14th, 2011, 10:44
I visit Thailand 2-3 times a year and have kept the same DTAC [Happy] number and sim card for many years. I just call the help centre as I am leaving each time and extend the expiry date. The cost is now incredibly low, about Baht 120 to extend for 12 months. If you have not extended your expiry date then you will lose your balance and number[ after a period of grace] automatically with any service provider.

Tghailand is one of the few countries where yoy can do this. In Australia, the most expensive service in the world, you lose balance as soon as expiry date and no way can you extend it.