PDA

View Full Version : BACC: The Bangkok Art & Cultural Center (revisited)

bao-bao
December 7th, 2011, 23:57
As long as people are breathing life into old posts, here's another: I was doing a couple of posts about this place and couldn't remember how many floors there were to it, so I did a search here this morning and was pleased to re-read the post Smiles did about the Bangkok Art and Cultural Centre (to use their spelling) back in late 2008. His post is here:
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16244&start=0&hilit=cultural+art

The center/centre is well worth a visit and makes a fine break on a hot day. Other than for a couple of rare exceptions it's free, too.

ceejay
December 8th, 2011, 02:08
The BACC is also an easy walk away from the Jim Thompson House, should you happen not to have seen that yet. I combined a visit to the two last year, and it made for a pleasant afternoon.

goteed1
December 8th, 2011, 08:50
I was in there on my recent trip to Bangkok. When I recover from jetlag, I'll do a full report, but I wandered in here to find something in Bangkok other than shopping and bars. The top floors had an installation celebrating something about the king, but the artwork was truly amazing and well worth the time spent.

Smiles
December 8th, 2011, 13:28
The B.A.C.C. can also be rather schizophrenic in it's exhibit choices.
The post linked by Bao Bao (i.e. mine) was a first visit and I was very very impressed by the quality of the art and the overall 'look' and architecture of the place.
The second visit (last year) was not nearly as impressive. Lots of empty areas ... small corners getting dusty and dirty ... the art on display was pretty mundane. I could easily have just hit a rough patch (between big exhibits?) and the next group of artwork could have been spectacular ~ I'll not know as I haven't been back since.

I'd go again in a heart beat just to see whether my second impression was just an anomaly, so please don't let this post deter anyone from checking it out.

The Bangkok Art & Cultural Centre: National Stadium Skytrain station . . . there's a walkway to the front door directly from the overhead platform. It's directly across the road from MBK.