PDA

View Full Version : Australia getting closer to legalising gay marriage

Beachlover
December 4th, 2011, 09:33
The Australian political party currently in power has voted to support gay marriage!

The politics are complex and this doesn't mean there's a clear path to legalised gay marriage in Australia yet, but it's a major step, which is fantastic. Wooo!

----------------------------------
Labor backs gay marriage

The Labor Party has voted resoundingly to change its policy to one of supporting gay marriage.

But federal MPs will not be forced to support gay marriage when the issue comes before Parliament next year because the party also voted to endorse a conscience vote for its politicians.

The votes were held this morning after passionate debate for and against the changes at the ALP national conference in Sydney.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/labor-ba ... 1oc4d.html (http://www.smh.com.au/national/labor-backs-gay-marriage-20111203-1oc4d.html)
----------------------------------

Sooty
December 4th, 2011, 16:28
When are you telling the family you're getting married Beachy?

Neal
December 4th, 2011, 17:50
as soon as Smiles says YES!

jinks
December 4th, 2011, 21:15
L O L ...... hehehe ...... 555555 ...... L O L

Beachlover
December 5th, 2011, 18:40
When are you telling the family you're getting married Beachy?
When I find the right guy. Hopefully not before I'm 30. :happy7:

as soon as Smiles says YES!
Actually, I was hoping for Newalaan's hand in marriage. :rolling:

Brisboy82
December 6th, 2011, 08:00
Has Julia changed her stance yet?

I was at the rally last week in Brisbane to support the civil unions bill and it got passed but they say if the liberals get back into power in qld it will be reversed which is a bit disheartening.

Mind you anything less than actual marriage is a bit of an insult anyway.

Beachy is not out to his family? Are your family that close minded?? Sad to see people still living in the closet this day and age.

My family were the first to know I was gay and they were actually very thrilled.

My mother doesn't like straight men so she's very relieved that I am gay :p

Beachlover
December 6th, 2011, 10:53
I think there was some big rally march to Darling Harbour in Sydney last weekend but I wasn't around to participate or I would've. I think some of my friends were in it.

I don't think Julia's changed her own stance but she's letting it go to a conscience vote or whatever.

Abbott (opposition party - Liberal party leader) is still 100% against it. Someone needs to replace that dickhead. They had much better leaders in the past. I would've loved it if Malcolm Turnbull had remained in power.

I can't believe such a large portion of these dickhead dinosaur politicians are still against it when the larger portion of the population has been supporting gay marriage for so long. The rational argument against it doesn't even hold up anymore.

--

I'm out to many friends and but not family yet. Everyone's family, background and culture are different. For me, it'll be a fairly major thing to put in front of my family and they're important to me. I want to do it the right way and at the right time, for their sake and mine.

I already thought it through carefully this year and with everything else that's going on, it's fairly low down on the priority list now. I know how it'll be done, so when the timing's right I'm prepared to do it without any stress. So in my mind the box is ticked...

Brisboy82
December 6th, 2011, 11:02
I think there was some big rally march to Darling Harbour in Sydney last weekend but I wasn't around to participate or I would've. I think some of my friends were in it.

I don't think Julia's changed her own stance but she's letting it go to a conscience vote or whatever.

Abbott (opposition party - Liberal party leader) is still 100% against it. Someone needs to replace that dickhead. They had much better leaders in the past. I would've loved it if Malcolm Turnbull had remained in power.

I can't believe such a large portion of these dickhead dinosaur politicians are still against it when the larger portion of the population has been supporting gay marriage for so long. The rational argument against it doesn't even hold up anymore.

--

I'm out to many friends and but not family yet. Everyone's family, background and culture are different. For me, it'll be a fairly major thing to put in front of my family and they're important to me. I want to do it the right way and at the right time, for their sake and mine.

I already thought it through carefully this year and with everything else that's going on, it's fairly low down on the priority list now. I know how it'll be done, so when the timing's right I'm prepared to do it without any stress. So in my mind the box is ticked...

It really seems that those in power have a very deluded sense about what the public wants. It's a very frustrating situation that no matter which party you vote for the leadership is so bad you have to choose the best out of two bad choices. You can vote for a third party as I do but ultimately it comes down to two options neither of which is a good choice.

As for the coming out think its true that coming out to
Family would be the hardest thing as those are the people you care most about. I was lucky to have a very open minded family but I know everybody has their own set of circumstances.

Beachlover
December 6th, 2011, 20:56
Out of all my gay friends (95% are Asian), I would estimate over 70% of them are NOT out to their families.

Many of them don't believe it's possible for themselves. So I'm quite lucky in that respect. I think, more likely than not, it'll be fine with my family, especially if I introduce it to them in the right way.

It really seems that those in power have a very deluded sense about what the public wants. It's a very frustrating situation that no matter which party you vote for the leadership is so bad you have to choose the best out of two bad choices.
Yep, I agree with both points. Either, we don't pay our politicians enough or the people are just making dumb voting decisions. Not sure which it is.

Brisboy82
December 7th, 2011, 11:26
Out of all my gay friends (95% are Asian), I would estimate over 70% of them are NOT out to their families.

Many of them don't believe it's possible for themselves. So I'm quite lucky in that respect. I think, more likely than not, it'll be fine with my family, especially if I introduce it to them in the right way.

It really seems that those in power have a very deluded sense about what the public wants. It's a very frustrating situation that no matter which party you vote for the leadership is so bad you have to choose the best out of two bad choices.
Yep, I agree with both points. Either, we don't pay our politicians enough or the people are just making dumb voting decisions. Not sure which it is.

I was just talking to my Chinese friend in Malaysia the other day and he said he isnt out to his family yet. He said they will be ok with it but he wants to wait until he is in a proper relationship so they can see that he is responsible. Because they will worry about him more if he is gay and single.

latintopxxx
December 7th, 2011, 21:45
Good luck with coming out....I did and my olds are still not quite sure what it means....bit like saying you'r a vegetarian and they offer you chicken because it's not beef...