PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai

Surfcrest
May 11th, 2006, 11:05
This year I went on a few excursions including a swing through Central Thailand. My aim was to finally make it to Ayutthaya / Lopburi / Sukhothai (It's funny watching the Amazing Race Contestants dash through Lopburi tonight) . IтАЩve done the overland trip between Chiang Mai and Bangkok enough that IтАЩll only go by air anymore. ItтАЩs just a little too long to be on both train and especially bus for that length of time. Besides Chiang Mai airport is so convenient a transfer to pretty much anywhere in town in 30 minutes, or less.

My plan from Bangkok was to fly to Chiang Mai and then wind my way leisurely by land back to Pattaya. By leisurely I mean, to puddle jump from town to town, staying as long could keep busy. I could have probably flown directly to Sukhothai (With Bangkok Airways) and started my tour there. I love Chiang Mai though. With all itтАЩs quirks, it has a charm that makes it feel more Thai than any of the major destinations. ItтАЩs essentially a city littered with Wats and Temples. With the burning / land clearing constantly happening in the north, there is quite often the smell of smoke in the air with spectacular (smoke enhanced) sunrises / sunsets. I made it a point of trying to be there on Sunday afternoon when the main core of the old city is closed down for a street market.

There are several flights to Chiang Mai from Bangkok to choose from. I prefer to go on the Internet and review each schedule to find the most convenient flight. If you get to your arriving destination too early you may have to wait for your room. Check out is around noon and when you get up as early as I do usually you can have quite a bit of the day to do other things before you need to depart. Early afternoon is convenient, provided I get to where I need to get outside of rush hour. This is especially applicable in Bangkok.In Chiang Mai, like Pattaya, Sawngthaew or bath buses will take you in the direction you want to go, as will motorcycle taxis, regular taxis.

This year, as I indicated on a previous thread stayed at The Lotus Hotel. I thought the place was great. Some members complained about the size of the room. The bed was a good size, comfortable and the bathroom was laid out nicely, fully equipped. The staff was exceptionally nice, both male and female. I loved the proximity to the Internet places across the street. I met a very nice young man there late one evening. Having AdamтАЩs Apple directly across the street was very convenient. I wish they had more local boys in the line up. Their show is still one of the best in the land.

IтАЩve been going to Chiang Mai for as many years as I have been coming to Thailand. It has always been the boys that have drawn me back time and time again. In my opinion the best looking boys in all Asia. I love the tall white skinned boys, with the delicate features and that slopping (almost Roman) noseтАж.the freckles or small moles that accent their good looks. The only problem lends itself to the belief that Chiang Mai boys have higher standards of living and more demands in their lives.

I visited a few clubs, including AdamтАЩs Apple and the Circle Pub. I included a night at Simon Cabaret, where I was able to spend time with one of the BOYS from the show afterwards. The only regret I had with Chiang Mai was not knowing enough current information about restaurants. Chiang Mai is famous for their restaurants, but you have to stay on top of what is good. The food at the weekend market is still the best in my opinion. Like Chinese dim sum, where you go to the food, small potions of this and that are available for 20 baht or less. Seating is available at some of the small courtyards.

Every Sunday afternoon they close Th Ratchadamnoen and many of the subsidiary streets in the old city of Chiang Mai for the Sunday Walking Street Market. This is the day when people from all around are drawn to the old city to buy pretty much anything, including some of the finest art / crafts direct from the artists. Make sure if you are buying something electrical like a lamp, that the voltage is compatible with your home country. This year I bought a painting that is so beautiful that I carted it carefully through all of my journeys southward. The best part about the market is seeing all the eye candy, flirting with the boys. They had some great Thai musicians in the park on the Sunday that I was there. The Cranberries are still very much in with so many female club bands covering at least some of their tunes.
Hip hop has become popular among the young.

I decided to book a flight from Chiang Mai to Sukothai, rather than doing the trip by land. I have traveled through most of the area already from Chiang Mai in years past. I booked my flight to Sukhothai, and my night at Simon Cabaret at the travel desk at the Novohotel in Chiang Mai.

I could probably spend months In Chiang Mia if I had the time. The city has a progressive feel to it that makes it so enticing for visitors.
The markets, the food and most importantly the boys make it one of ThailandтАЩs best destinations for the gay traveler.

Surfcrest

May 11th, 2006, 11:17
It's funny watching the Amazing Race Contestants dash through Lopburi tonightDid you see Young Master Cedric?

Surfcrest
May 11th, 2006, 11:41
Was he one of the hippies eating the grasshppers?

May 12th, 2006, 05:07
Great reports Surfcrest :bom:
I hope you will find the time to post more pictures of your time in Chiang Mai.