PDA

View Full Version : the venue is it still the way forward?

November 24th, 2011, 03:47
As I have seen the venue show on a regular basis since it opened , is it still working progress? or has it peaked? as i am looking forward to see what i consider the best show in Pattaya on my return in Mid January.

November 24th, 2011, 03:56
In my honest opinion it gets a tad boring after the first 2 hours.

Well it seemed like 2 hours anyway.

They need to introduce some comedy to break up the interminable prancing around the stage miming to 1950-70s broadway musical numbers.

When I say comedy, I mean something other than a boy in drag with blackened teeth and a balloon up his dress.

:occasion9:

donald1
November 24th, 2011, 12:03
Was in Pattaya in October and went to venue to see the show. Just my opinion but the show was great 2 years ago, lesser last year and this year walked out after 2 acts. Maybe it was because it was slow season but everything was old and done before. Terrible drag and only a couple cute guys. Torn and tattered costumes. Show is 3'rd rate at best. Drink prices are still very reasonable for a show bar and waiters quite attentive and friendly.

corky
November 24th, 2011, 12:30
... Drink prices are still very reasonable for a show bar and waiters quite attentive and friendly.

Sorry I have to disagree on the attentiveness of the waiters.
My experience is that they are busy watching the show and not looking out for the customers.

jinks
November 24th, 2011, 13:05
When I say comedy, I mean something other than a boy in drag with blackened teeth and a balloon up his dress.

So you will be going to the panto tomorrow 25 Nov ?

PattayaBob
November 24th, 2011, 15:02
I personally think it's the best show in Town....the costumes are great and the tunes are not 50-70's more current. The laddyboys do some great numbers...the Cheer songs are super. The guys are cute and the staff very friendly. Darryl and Ray do a great job with the show....best deal Bravo....

November 24th, 2011, 15:31
I personally think it's the best show in Town....the costumes are great and the tunes are not 50-70's more current. The laddyboys do some great numbers...the Cheer songs are super. The guys are cute and the staff very friendly. Darryl and Ray do a great job with the show....best deal Bravo....

That's fine Bob, you like that kind of dated entertainment and I don't - I saw the same and far better at Throb 10-15 years ago and if you're honest you'll agree

You say it's not 1950-70s but the last time I endured the show there were several numbers from "Cabaret" for example and I think there was even something from "West Side Story"

The "comedy" number involved 1 boy, 1 "attractive" boy in drag, and 1 boy in drag with the aforementioned balloon up her skirt and blacked out teeth trying to steal the boy from the "attractive girl" - all of which comprised miming to some scratchy tune to begin with and culminating in screaming, hair-pulling, and general fighting between the two dragsters. Talk about laugh! I almost started.

You say you like the Cher numbers - well remind me how "current" Cher is darling. All her best hits were 30 years ago (and more, some might say)

Now I'm not saying the performers don't work hard, they do.
I'm not saying they are not talented - some are (one waiter even sings - yes, for real!)
What I am saying is that show is dated and reflects the dated tastes of the people putting it together rather than anything current.
Ditch the broadway musical numbers - far too dated.
Bring in some up-to-date music (the boys know the songs you know - they don't sit in their rooms listening to Liza Minelli and Ethel Merman, darling).
And either hire somebody with a sense of humour to inject some life into the show - or rip off something funny from elsewhere!

Now as for the attentive waiters - don't make me laugh - during the show you almost have to drop your trousers and fire a pistol to get noticed.
Without a word of a lie, the last time we were there (6 of us) the guy who sits at the side of the stage working the Audio had to leave his mixing desk- after watching us trying to attract the waiters attention for over 10 minutes - and go fetch a waiter to serve us.

Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted and they will get more fun watching the performers doing something current that they clearly enjoy than in watching them flog a dead horse for 2 hours. Example - the street dancers in Happy Place - I'd far rather watch their set for 20 minutes - exciting, current, and fresh - than sit through 20 minutes of prolonged agony watching people mime to tunes from "Phantom of the Opera".

Just my opinion.

jinks
November 24th, 2011, 16:38
Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted

Maybe, just maybe, this is why the shows are targeted at us, the over 60's.

DaHrling

I don't have trouble getting a waiter, I tip and they know it.

See you front row, Sunday 18th, for a few drinks before my demise on Thursday?

November 24th, 2011, 17:18
Let's be honest - if it were not for the over 60's in the "audience" the bar would be deserted

DaHrling

Darling,

Just because one might be over 60 does not mean one wants to live in a time-warp!

I am hardly a spring chicken myself, but my Abba, Leo Sayer, and Bay City Rollers records are now firmly at the back of the cupboard - and, needless to say, the Gary Glitter ones can only ever be brought out in private these days.

Are you honestly saying you would not enjoy seeing some shirtless street dancers cavorting about the stage, obviously having fun - rather than somebody miming to " I Am What I Am" for the millionth time?

Are you honestly saying that it would be purgatory to watch some current boy bands being impersonated - such as The Wanted or One Direction - rather than sit through someone in drag with a Liza Minnelli wig on lipsynching to "Money Makes the World Go Around"? yet again!

Is it not possible to have a mixture of entertainment current and retro, rather than 2hrs of tired, dated, material?

I refuse to enter this "my tip is bigger than yours" contest (did that at school, darling - never won :crybaby: ) - just let me assure you that I am not slow in dipping into my sporran for a few bawbees when it's merited (and usually even when it's not!).
The problem is, as another poster suggested, that during the show the waiters are paying as much attention to that, as to the customers.
When you think about it, the suggestion that one's face needs to be well known (not to mention well-worn, darling) to get some kind of service, really isn't a recommendation.

Finally, whilst I would love to join you for drinkettes on Sunday, I am not in Thailand at the moment.
However, if a man of your means would care to send a flight ticket (economy would do at a push), I shall fly over for the occasion and I'll even wear whichever of my disguises you choose.

martin911
November 24th, 2011, 17:35

DaHrling

Well its not just the elderly like jinks that likes the Venue shows !!

I met couple of cute young (30s) guys from Holland on the beach 2 days ago --they are here in Pattaya 2.5 weeks now and have spent most nites at the venue (1 nite @Nab, 2 @ Dave )
And were Raving about it !!!!!!--

I like the show at the venue ,but i dont go much -mabye once/twice in 6 months so i guess it does not get stale for me

I do hope they bring back the couple from Bkk --that sang so beautifuly - with numbers from Andrea Bocelli / Cats / Phantom etc --i dont recall their names ,but they put the hairs standing on the back of my neck when they started singing the night i was there -- mabye 10 months or so ago -

Can anybody enlighten me as to their names and if they are due to play at the venue (or elsewhere ) again
Failing that i will ask Ray next time il drop in --

November 24th, 2011, 17:59
Well its not just the elderly like jinks that likes the Venue shows !!.....I like the show at the venue ,but i dont go much -mabye once/twice in 6 months so i guess it does not get stale for me

I do hope they bring back the couple from Bkk --that sang so beautifuly - with numbers from Andrea Bocelli / Cats / Phantom etc ....

Ok, first off I didn't say you had to be as elderly as jinks to enjoy the show.
There are few people that old still breathing :gy: and what I actually said was that the audience is mainly elderly but that does not mean the entertainment has to be dated, it could be more mixed. I am actually being positive!!

Secondly, I presume you mean that as you only go every six months you DO feel it gets stale. If the show was fresh and current you might go more often?
That is certainly the situation with me - I don't dislike the show but, as it is currently, once or twice a year is enough.

Cats... Phantom... you make my point!
At least they had real singers the time you are referring to - I'm sorry I missed it - all I have ever witnessed is miming.

It just seems to me that the Venue show is deteriorating into the BBB offering - completely stuck in a rut.

martin911
November 24th, 2011, 19:26
Firstly --i know you didnt say you had to be elderly as jinks to enjoy the show -- i did -- and i said "elderly Like jinks " :tongue1:

Secondly --what i said was excactly as reads as -- it DOES NOT get stale for me (presumably by the fact i go so less )
As for the BBB offering ---wild horses would not get me in those doors lol

hope that clarifies things for you :occasion9:

November 24th, 2011, 19:40
im glad im not a show person .. this sort of thing gives me the creeps ... watching men dressed as women is wierd .. even scotty looks daft in his skirt.... i mean kilt ... miming to old songs is as bad as miming to new songs as far as im concerned .. trouble is shite like x-factor seems to have dumbed down everyones standards...
i must adimt i was quite impressed with your *one direction / the wanted* mention scotty ... how very modern of you :laughing3:
if you are desperate to see a show why not go to a decent one in london or where ever you come from .. rather than watching some twats* dressed in skirts trying to be funny ??
god im a miserable old c**t *( twats in the nicest possible way .. couldnt think of a better word to use)

November 24th, 2011, 21:19
How the hell would you know what I look like in my kilt - the only time you've seen me is when your fantasising and having a wank :sign5:

LONDON?
What, Dear?
Me Dear?
No, Dear
How very dare you!

November 24th, 2011, 21:26
How the hell would you know what I look like in my kilt - the only time you've seen me is when your fantasising and having a wank :sign5:

LONDON?
What, Dear?
Me Dear?
No, Dear
How very dare you!
oh hell now i feel ill ... no man looks clever in a dress .. i picked you because you wear a kilt
i sure as never had a wank over a hairy scotman in a kilt before .... i need to see a shrink now ( get that image out of my head ewwwwwww)
are you a ladieeeee all week or just at weekends matilda ?? :violent1:
p.s. the london bit wasnt refering to you scotty it was for anyone .. hence the or where ever you come from bit ..
i would have thought you'd have worked my grammer out by now .. or lack of it .. i cant be bothered with commers ... full stops ... (see) capitals etc etc ... lifes to short and im way to dumb ...

martin911
November 24th, 2011, 22:08
im glad im not a show person .. this sort of thing gives me the creeps ... watching men dressed as women is wierd .. even scotty looks daft in his skirt.... i mean kilt ... miming to old songs is as bad as miming to new songs as far as im concerned .. trouble is shite like x-factor seems to have dumbed down everyones standards...
i must adimt i was quite impressed with your *one direction / the wanted* mention scotty ... how very modern of you :laughing3:
if you are desperate to see a show why not go to a decent one in london or where ever you come from .. rather than watching some twats* dressed in skirts trying to be funny ??
god im a miserable old c**t *( twats in the nicest possible way .. couldnt think of a better word to use)

Me Tooooooooooooooooo i have never understood the very strange attraction of the drag queens (apart from dame Edna ! he is funny at least )
Esp the ones that land over here from the UK -- -- Corny jokes,wigs,far far too revealing dresses !!
I guess its a sort of British slapstick type humour ??

I dont get the man dressed as lady gig at all -- one of the guys here entered into the Mr and Mrs ladyboy competition in Nab a few weeks ago
The guys here in the house were all excited about it all bloody day -- mind you when the lad came down the stairs of the house as a lass !! wow it was such a transformation (he won 3rd prize BTW ) --
In Nab watching him get photographed i was wondering was this how proud parents might feel watching their
sprogs at the school play :laughing3: :laughing3:
After the competition in nab finished we all stayed on til closing (the lad stayed dressed as a lass all nite ,didnt change into his normal gear )
Later in the club i saw him on the small ledge and comparing shoes with an obvious Katheoy !!
Next nite we went out again he arrived in to Nab to our table dressed this time as a young lady (as against a ladyboy the first evening )

Now this from a guy i know almost a year ,lves in the house ,and i have spent a lot of time with and he never has expressed any desire to go down that road ---- i was very suprised -- but thankfully that little phase is over !!
Another guy here is Totally toot -and almost cert will go down that road (just got himself a job in Tiffaneys )

But what is it about the dressing as a lady thing ???

frequentflier
November 24th, 2011, 22:44
On my last visit in october I went to see the show at the Venue..I had seen it before and walked out after the firs break.Its just boring and much the same as before...I also noticed that the waiting stafff were not interested in the customers and difficult to find.Its a shame as it has the best laid out stage etc.
The video of gafffs at the start is just not funny anymore..Hopefully they will update their acts as it has huge potential..

PattayaBob
November 25th, 2011, 08:52
I think on Sundays the first show is Opera...last week played Andre Bocelli songs, very nice. I was not here 15 years ago for Throb Show. What I'm saying this is the Best We have now, enjoy it...TIT...they practice 2-3 hours daily, they are not bad, do some Lady Gaga ....rather have Cher. I understand it's older tunes, but most of us like it, and the city is full of us Oldeis but Goldies....It's personal taste...

November 25th, 2011, 15:21
I think on Sundays the first show is Opera...last week played Andre Bocelli songs, very nice. I was not here 15 years ago for Throb Show. What I'm saying this is the Best We have now, enjoy it...TIT...they practice 2-3 hours daily, they are not bad, do some Lady Gaga ....rather have Cher. I understand it's older tunes, but most of us like it, and the city is full of us Oldeis but Goldies....It's personal taste...

Ok, Bob you have illustrated a couple of things:

1. The show content is so predictable you can actually tell us what we will see on a paticular day of the week, every week.
2. To some of the audience at least, they key to enjoying the show is the acceptance that there's nothing better readily available.
3. The 20 or so who turn up (last time I was there) enjoy it.

Now, if was my business I'd be tearing my hair out at this point.
I'd be upset that the content could be predicted to such an extent.
I'd be striving to make sure it remained the best (not difficult - it's the ONLY proper show in Jomtien isn't it?) by keeping the material fresh
I'd,be looking at the numbers of queens living in and around Jomtien and asking what we could do to change from being a show that only the small band of regulars enjoy - into something that will actually attract NEW people into the bar.

I'm aware it's beginning to sound as if I loathe the show - I don't, I'd just like to see it being better and attracting more people - so I'm gonna shut up now on this topic.

:hello2:

jinks
November 25th, 2011, 15:34
- so I'm gonna shut up now on this topic.

That's a start, when can we expect you to shut up more :nud:

Manforallseasons
November 25th, 2011, 18:02

Is this remark really needed, you wouldn't like it if it came from a member!

November 25th, 2011, 18:56

Doesn't bother me - I usually tip extra for verbal abuse, so to get it in writing for free is a bonus!

The good news is that I have reached a decision on the matter - I'm going to shut up more when jinks gets a haircut.

*NB getting a "haircut", is not the same as getting " a hair cut"

martin911
November 25th, 2011, 19:56

I think its i bit of a power control type thing with him --LOL sad

November 25th, 2011, 23:06
I don't think it was a power control statement but rather jinksie's dry sense of humour. Unfortunately sometimes I am accused of having the same type of dry humour. Yes, it could also be that jinksie and Scottish don't usually see eye to eye.

November 26th, 2011, 00:28
i think jinks humour is more arid than dry ... dry humour is funny .. as for the haircut does it have to be off the head ..
or do ears and nose count ?? :dontknow:

November 26th, 2011, 03:21
... it could also be that jinksie and Scottish don't usually see eye to eye.

Well I don't know about jinks eye, but mine is absolutely fine - even despite the fact he was moderating himself into a frenzy about a month ago, I have no problem with jinks whatsoever.
Nor with anybody actually.
I may even take Oldalanna off ignore in the New Year - she must be lonely - all by herself on that list.

:sign5: