PDA

View Full Version : Trip report Chiang Mai August 2011

christianpfc
November 24th, 2011, 00:16
Trip report Chiang Mai August 2011

(continuation form Trip report Pattaya)

09.08.2011 Tuesday
Bus from North Pattaya Bus station to Ekkamai. As I had no train ticket to Chiang Mai (my first attempt to go there was thwarted by interruption of train service due to flooding, so I wasnтАЩt sure if and when to try again), I had to go to the Hua Lampong railway station immediately to buy a ticket for the night. From Ekkamai bus station, I could see that traffic on Sukhumvit was slow. There were three options:

Taxi: the most convenient, the most expensive, slower than MRT/BTS and faster than bus
BTS/MRT: fastest, but I would have to take my luggage upstairs and downstairs, cheaper than taxi and more expensive than bus
bus: almost as convenient as taxi (door to door withouth change) the cheapest, the slowest

After some thinking, I decided to take the bus. It took about two hours, but cost only 8 Baht! In Hua Lampong Railway Station, there were only 2nd class seat fan left (431 Baht). There is a luggage storage (70 Baht) were I left my suitcase. With some hours left before departure, I went to the Silom area. There were three things to do: shower, toilet, charge my mobile phone (I really forgot to charge my phone in Pattaya in my hotel room!). I didnтАЩt have a massage for a while, so I decidet to combine everything and get a massage. So I strolled along Silom road looking for cute massage boys and finally ended in Fan Club. There was none who really was my type, but having entered and rised expectations I didnтАЩt want to leave and decided on a boy and a massage (1.5 h 700 Baht if I remember correctly). But then the manager told me that expected tip for 1.5 h massage would be 1500 Baht, for 2 h 2000 Baht, whereupon I changed my mind and left.

There was a special offer at Semra Massage (Silom Soi 1, man and woman masseur), where I paid 550 Baht for 2 h massage (Thai & Cream, promotion) and 1100 Baht tip (special service). Surprisingly, there were several boys who were my type (as far as I could judge from the pictures shown by the manager, unfortunately they were all in a back room and not outside due to rain). Some more strolling along Silom and return to Hua Lampong for the night train at 22 oтАЩclock. Along the railway line, there are some remains from a started and unfinished (economical crisis 1997) elevated highway and rail way projects, that are jokingly referred to as тАЬStonehenge of ThailandтАЭ along the railwail line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_El ... ain_System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Elevated_Road_and_Train_System)
Forgive the poor quality of the picture (out of a driving train with flash). Add 6h to the time stamp to get Thai time.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3204.jpg

As expected, I didnтАЩt sleep well in the 2nd class chair.

10.08.2011 Wednesday
Arrive in Chiang Mai at 14:10 (scheduled 12:45). Buy ticket back to Bangkonk, again all beds were sold out and only 2nd class seat aircon was left for 611 Baht. My first time in Chiang Mai. Several Tuk-Tuk vye for my business, one knows the way to SoHo guesthouse, so I agree to a fare of 150 Baht (probably too much?). Check in, later walk around town. I call jaafar, what a coincidence, I am in the very soi he lives in! We have a chat and he introduces me to some of his friends. I continue my stroll. There is heavy traffic in some places, with no traffic lights or pedestrian bridges like in Bangkok. It takes me about 15 minutes to get from outside the city wall into the city at the western gate, a distance of a mere 100 meter! At night, we meet again and go to New My Way. More a host bar with show than a gogo bar. Nothing I havenтАЩt seen in Bangkok and Pattaya.

It rains all night. One of his friends (T, Shan refugy) speaks good English, has a motorbike, is cute and is free the following day, so we exchange phone numbers and make an appointment for 12 am the following day. I am tired after night in the train and go to bed early (around midnight). I was just about to fall asleep, it knocks on the door. Too lazy and tired to get up, I think they will knock again if itтАЩs important. And it knocks again.So I have to get up, one of the staff is there with a plate of fruit left from a party during the evening. (We will come back to this.)

11.08.2011 Thursday
IтАЩm up, itтАЩs 12 am. My mobile rings, itтАЩs T. His motorbike broke down, he will take a friendтАЩs motorbike and will be half an hour late. Indeed, he arrives around 12:30. I am impressed. Whenever a Thai friend was late, it was me who called and I never got an explanation. We go to Doi Suthep on his motorbike. It gets quite hazy in the mountain, fortunately there is no rain on the way up. The view is impaired by the fog. According to the internt, it is 300 steps up to the wat (I didnтАЩt count):

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3209.jpg

Too foggy, but fortunately not cold:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3210.jpg

A lot of gold:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3215.jpg

Later I saw the elevator hidden on the side for those who donтАЩt want to climb the steps. On the way back, we have to stop a few times and seek shelter from the rain. I go to House of Male sauna. Thanks to тАЬOut in ThailandтАЭ magazine, I know that Tuesday and Thursday are тАЬBuddy NightsтАЭ (two person for the price of one) and indeed, there are a lot of customers, but unfortunately no hook up for me. Back at SoHo, B (one of the receptionists) chats me up. He was not there when I checked in, but he saw the copy of my passport and it seems they play to guess the age of the guests and he thinks I am cute and he was the one brought me the fruits the previous night (I didnтАЩt recognize him because I was so tired). Gay hotel receptionists are spying and stalking on me!

He takes me to a laundry service on his motorbike (there are no laundry services in walking distance!). His shift ends at midnight, so we exchange phone numbers with possibility to meet again after work (depending on how my night develops). I go to AdamтАЩs apple bar. Similar to New My Way. I go back to SoHo, B is free and wants to show me around. Unfortunately he is not my type, and I tell him so, but this is a good chance to get a guided tour and to get around for free on his motorbike, as I have no idea where to go. First we have a drink at Secrets Bar. There are a few cute boys and there is the one and only ladyboy I saw during my entire stay (3 days) in Chiang Mai. So if you want man boys, go to Chiang Mai! But the situation with the cute boys in unclear to me, I donтАЩt know if they have a customer, none of them shows a particular interest in me, furthermore I am with B. (Contrary to popular belief, christianpfc has some sense of decency. When B offers to show me around for free, I do not flirt with other boys. As I left SoHo with B, I will be back with B.)

Later we go to Mandalay Disco. This is a mixed place, considerably larger than all major gay discos in Thailand I know (DJ, GOD, ICK, NAB) which was quite full, entry (including one drink if I remember correctly) was 300 Baht for foreigners. Thai style disco, which is not cruising friendly as people stand around their tables and even worse as it is mixed I donтАЩt know who is gay. Return to SoHo with B and sleep alone.

12.08.2011 Friday
In House of Male, I got a tip from another patron that there will be a flower exhibition at Suan Buak Haad (public park in the southwest corner in the old city). So I take a stroll through the old town, passing a wat (Wat Mor Khum Thuang р╕зр╕▒р╕Фр╕лр╕бр╣Йр╕н р╕Др╕│р╕Хр╕зр╕З near Chang Puak Gate) that is notable for its walls towards the street being covered completely with small mirrows.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3229.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3227.jpg

Then I pass Wat Chedi Luang. I donтАЩt care about dick size of my fuck buddies, but when it comes to monuments the biggest/largest/widest/highest is just good enough. So here it is, the largest chedi I saw in Chiang Mai:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3234.jpg

The flower exhibition outside Suan Buak Haad to commemorate the QueenтАЩs birthday is impressive. Here some pictures:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3240.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3243.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3244.jpg

The largest bonsais had price tags of about 450,000 Baht:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3245.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/christianpfc/trip%20to%20chiang%20mai%20aug%202011/DSCN3249.jpg

Later, I get a Tuk-Tuk to take me to Club One Seven sauna and guesthouse. I have the printout from here http://www.radchada.com/Radchada_Chiang ... ist_V1.pdf (http://www.radchada.com/Radchada_ChiangMai_Venue_List_V1.pdf) which provides addresses for all gay venues in Chiang Mai. Nonetheless, the driver takes a wrong turn and ends up on Charoen Prathet Road, one-way leading northwards whereas the sauna is further in the south. He stops and informs me of his mistake and offers to take me to the sauna for an increased fare (60 Baht instead of 40 as negotiated when I hired him). According to my map, it seems to be just one or two kilometers to walk, but it starts to rain, so I agree. After a long detour, he finally stops at Arun Tara hotel (which is given as a refence point close to the sauna), so I have to find out the direction to the sauna and walk there myself. This guy gets the first price for the worst service! But I take it lightly. Great story to tell.

Not many customers in the sauna, no hook up. I didnтАЩt consider that this is the QueenтАЩs birthday and bars will be closed and didnтАЩt make any arrangements via gayromeo or get phone number from the cute boys in Secrets. So I walk from Club One Seven northwards to the Night Market (about 30 minutes for a fast walker). I remember that I read about тАЬSleaze AlleyтАЭ near the night market and hope I will find the тАЬSleaze AlleyтАЭ by chance and that there are boys. (Now I know where it is: the Soi with Secrets and other gay bars). There is a lot to see at the night market, plenty of people despite occasional weak rain. Later I enter тАЬSleaze AlleyтАЭ, all bars closed, nobody out there.

I just decided to walk home (which would take about 1 hour) when a motorcycle stops on my side and asks me what I am looking for. So I describe my dilemma: I am looking for available gay boys. Even if itтАЩs the QueenтАЩs birthday, they must be somewhere. The motorcycle driver offers himself (instead of the boys IтАЩm looking for) and suggests to come with me. I decline politely and ask if he can lead me to available gay boys. I donтАЩt remember what exactly he said, but he offered to take me to a place where I can find available gay boys and then to SoHo for 30 Baht. I agree and off we drive. Big mistake: the entire trip he will be telling me how much he likes Farang, how he would love to come with me and suck my cock for free and what else he can do for me and what I like and so on.

This guy is like a tape in endless mode, repeting the same stuff again and again and not realizing that my short and elusive answers mean that IтАЩm not interested. Oberserving well where we go (so I know where I am and where to go to SoHo in case something goes wrong). I ask him to stop at a Wat Lok Molee while we drive past. I saw it only from far during day (well not at night itтАЩs dark, so I canтАЩt see much more). We continue our ride along Chang Puak road towards the area where AdamтАЩs apple and New My Way are. It turns out he there are no available gay boys and he obviously doesnтАЩt know where to find some.

We continue our ride northwards. I lose my orientation. We drive a loop in the northwest, streets are dark and there are no people. The perfect place to robb and kill me. But then it goes back to town, I regain my orientation and finally we arrive at SoHo. I pay him, we exchange phone numbers and email (and later even exchange an email) and he makes me promise to help him find a Farang boyfriend. This promise is now fulfilled: Send me a private message for his contact details if you are interested.

Back in SoHo, I fall to bed totally exhaustet from listening to him. Sleep alone.

13.08.2011 Saturday
Check out and leave my suitcase at the reception as my train goes at night. B gets my clothes from the laundry. Finally a case where a member of staff provides a service above what he his paid for by his employer and deserves a tip. I have another chat with jaafar. I visit the тАЬMuseum of World InsectsтАЭ (near House of Male sauna; not to be confused with Siam Insect Zoo north of Chiang Mai). Back to SoHo and, pick up my suitcase and drive to railway station (80 Baht). Overnight train to Bangkok.

To be continued.

Conclusion: my first visits to new places are usually a sampling to get a feeling, especially for distances and times need to walk from A to B (I can walk for hours, even in tropical climate). Based on these experiences, I can plan further trips and do research on the internet. And I will probably be back to Chiang Mai in one of my future holidays in Thailand. There is a lot more to see and to do.

A few problems during this stay in Chiang Mai: there was rain every day. ThatтАЩs why itтАЩs called rainy season, but in 2009 and 2011 (both only BKK and PTY) I was lucky during rainy season, but this year I got wet several times and had to change plans due to rain. There are not many bars (host or gogo), if they werenтАЩt spread over a large are, I could comfortably visit all of them on one night. So the next holiday will need some preparation on gayromeo and camfrog to be independent from bars.

I was curious to see what Hill Tribe and Burmese boys look like (internet says that most of the boys in bars are Burmese and Shan). With some experince one might be able to distinguish, but I canтАЩt tell Thai, Shan and Burmese apart. The only thing I noticed that all boys in the bars were all manly (again the internet says most of them are top only or gay for pay).

In my opinion, the most handsome boys of the world come from a banana-shaped area which stretches from Japan over China to Thailand and to which I refer to as the Boy Belt (inspired by the Bible Belt in the USA). If one considers that the cuteness/handsomeness drops considerably (with a factor of 10 to 100) to adjacent countries like Mongolia, Philippines, Malaysia (exept for the Chinese part of the population) and Bangladesh and dramatically if you move further away (to a factor of 1000 to 10000 in the rest of the world, making the search for sexual partners there a work of futility), one should assume that the cutest boys of the world (according to my taste) come from somewhere in southern China. Chinese boys I met in England appeared slighly cuter to me than Thai boys. This trip however (moving from central Thaialnd further to the geographical center of the Boy Belt) didnтАЩt give any results regarding where the cutest boys are. Anyway, if there is a maximum at all I assume it to be flat. If this research is ever completed, I can draw a map with lines of equal cuteness, comparable to lines of equal air pressure in the weather report.

Disclaimer: Everything reported as I remember. All pictures are mine. This report is not funded by any of the gay businesses mentioned herein. Wherever I quoted something, this was of real help to me.

jolyjacktar
November 24th, 2011, 01:36
Great post Christianpfc thanks. I love Chiang mai and stay mainly in the northern part of the city at Lotus Hotel. Sleaze alley as you called it is fun as ive taken several Burmese boys from there and as you said nearly all top which actualy i prefer.
Sorry to here you got wet ive been lucky all the times ive been there as ive not had any rain to talk about.
Best time for me is Jan or Feb.

anonone
November 24th, 2011, 06:09
Adding my thanks for posting this as well. I know it takes a bit of time to write these up and it is appreciated.

I have not made it up to Chiang Mai, and honestly does not sound like my "cup of tea", but I may be proven wrong.

Thanks again.

pong
November 24th, 2011, 07:06
Beiginning paragraphs of the post deleted. English only please so that we may moderate your posts Daboss

-no need at all for ''gay''-this thus jacks up the price. Good rooms-own bath, jhot water, etc can be found for 200/250 bt/nite (no AC-in nov no pwobwem-might be in hot times).
In HoM they have a nice booklet with all adresses and tips and even some general info-not found/given to?

November 24th, 2011, 12:42
I cannot tell what kind of boy the OP likes but from my limited travel experience in Asia and meeting Asian expats, I can say that Taiwan boys are the most beautiful Asians world (for the most part)... lets give them a 10 of 10, and Malaysian boys fall at the other end of the spectrum (I will give them a polite 5 of 10). Thais I give 9. Chinese I give 9. Japanese I give 8 only because there is such variation. Filipinos I give 8.

Rush, Yet Again
November 24th, 2011, 15:15
Thanks for taking the time to post your report Christian. ItтАЩs always interesting to see what someone else makes of a trip. Um, we will be getting a follow-up detailed expense report, right? IтАЩm interested in seeing your cost comparison analysis for mango purchases in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai.

Brad the Impala
November 24th, 2011, 15:40
Very enjoyable report Christian and I appreciate your wry sense of humour. Good travel writing and intrigued by the boy belt concept!

christianpfc
November 25th, 2011, 00:07
-no need at all for ''gay''-this thus jacks up the price. Good rooms-own bath, jhot water, etc can be found for 200/250 bt/nite (no AC-in nov no pwobwem-might be in hot times).
In HoM they have a nice booklet with all adresses and tips and even some general info-not found/given to?
I usually stay in gay guesthouses, because I get addresses from publications aimed at gays (Out in Thailand, Thai Phuan, Bangkok Desire (ex Bangkok Variety) and so on), that's the only reason. There was an area in House of Male with a TV and several booklets, I browsed through some of them.

Um, we will be getting a follow-up detailed expense report, right? IтАЩm interested in seeing your cost comparison analysis for mango purchases in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai.
I already published them here: Expenses holiday 28.07.2011-15.08.2011 Bangkok Pattaya Chiang Mai http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/expenses-holiday-2011-2011-bangkok-pattaya-chian-t21540.html

Rush, Yet Again
November 25th, 2011, 07:10
Um, we will be getting a follow-up detailed expense report, right? IтАЩm interested in seeing your cost comparison analysis for mango purchases in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai.
I already published them here: Expenses holiday 28.07.2011-15.08.2011 Bangkok Pattaya Chiang Mai http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/expenses-holiday-2011-2011-bangkok-pattaya-chian-t21540.html

Ah, got it. You switched to watermelon. That blows my entire mango/boy cost & benefit spreadsheet idea away.

And I was really looking forward to the feeding frenzy your expense reports result in . . .

November 25th, 2011, 08:05
.. Taiwan boys are ... 10 of 10, and Malaysian boys fall at the other end of the spectrum (I will give them a polite 5 of 10). Thais I give 9. Chinese I give 9. Japanese I give 8 only because there is such variation. Filipinos I give 8.

What do you give yourself dear?

:evil4:

mikeisley
November 25th, 2011, 08:29
I have been to Chiang Mai 4 or 5 times. My advise is bring your own boy. The bars never have any cute fresh looking gay boys. There are plenty of good looking boys on the street however just not any available.

November 25th, 2011, 11:13
[quote="lonely_farang":2rhfuq5l].. Taiwan boys are ... 10 of 10, and Malaysian boys fall at the other end of the spectrum (I will give them a polite 5 of 10). Thais I give 9. Chinese I give 9. Japanese I give 8 only because there is such variation. Filipinos I give 8.

:evil4:[/quote:2rhfuq5l]
As a Farang, I am unfortunately disqualified from the ranking

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2011, 12:34
You took an overnight train. Did you just get a seat or did you get a sleeper seat? Because they have seats, which convert into nice beds and they're super-comfortable! Especially if you get the bottom bunk, which has more room and is better shielded from the glare of the lights (lights stay on).

In my opinion, the most handsome boys of the world come from a banana-shaped area which stretches from Japan over China to Thailand and to which I refer to as the Boy Belt (inspired by the Bible Belt in the USA). If one considers that the cuteness/handsomeness drops considerably (with a factor of 10 to 100) to adjacent countries like Mongolia, Philippines, Malaysia (exept for the Chinese part of the population) and Bangladesh and dramatically if you move further away (to a factor of 1000 to 10000 in the rest of the world, making the search for sexual partners there a work of futility), one should assume that the cutest boys of the world (according to my taste) come from somewhere in southern China. Chinese boys I met in England appeared slighly cuter to me than Thai boys.
I don't know why but I've always found Chi-Thai boys from Chiang Mai especially cute whenever meeting them.

In my opinion, the most handsome boys of the world come from a banana-shaped area which stretches from Japan over China to Thailand and to which I refer to as the Boy Belt (inspired by the Bible Belt in the USA). If one considers that the cuteness/handsomeness drops considerably (with a factor of 10 to 100) to adjacent countries like Mongolia, Philippines, Malaysia (exept for the Chinese part of the population) and Bangladesh and dramatically if you move further away (to a factor of 1000 to 10000 in the rest of the world, making the search for sexual partners there a work of futility), one should assume that the cutest boys of the world (according to my taste) come from somewhere in southern China. Chinese boys I met in England appeared slighly cuter to me than Thai boys.
Well here's an interesting related phenomenon...

Lately, in a few instances, I've found Thai boys tending to initially assume I'm from whatever country takes their fantasy. For example, they'll ask, "you are from Korea right?" and then later on in the conversation I find out they have a major thing for Korean guys. It's like I've let them down by not being Korean LOL.

Heh... I think they dream about guys from a certain country, then when they see someone cute, they hope they're from that country!

[quote="lonely_farang":3hvk7sbc].. Taiwan boys are ... 10 of 10, and Malaysian boys fall at the other end of the spectrum (I will give them a polite 5 of 10). Thais I give 9. Chinese I give 9. Japanese I give 8 only because there is such variation. Filipinos I give 8.
What do you give yourself dear?[/quote:3hvk7sbc]
I'd give him a 0.5 out of 10.

kjun12
December 3rd, 2011, 13:07
The bars never have any cute fresh looking gay boys. There are plenty of good looking boys on the street however just not any available.
I understand that this is your Chiang Mai experience but mine has been different. I have found some very cute boys there who were so available they even went to bed with me!

christianpfc
December 3rd, 2011, 21:22
You took an overnight train. Did you just get a seat or did you get a sleeper seat? Because they have seats, which convert into nice beds and they're super-comfortable! Especially if you get the bottom bunk, which has more room and is better shielded from the glare of the lights (lights stay on).
I got one of these reclinable seats, where you can put the backrest at an angle of about 45┬░, similar to those in airplanes. I don't sleep well in these.

I travelled with sleeper seats before, they are very comfortable, completely flat.

December 4th, 2011, 12:35

I don't know why but I've always found Chi-Thai boys from Chiang Mai especially cute whenever meeting them.

Well here's an interesting related phenomenon...

Lately, in a few instances, I've found Thai boys tending to initially assume I'm from whatever country takes their fantasy. For example, they'll ask, "you are from Korea right?" and then later on in the conversation I find out they have a major thing for Korean guys. It's like I've let them down by not being Korean LOL.

Heh... I think they dream about guys from a certain country, then when they see someone cute, they hope they're from that country!

[quote="lonely_farang":2p4dxp4w].. Taiwan boys are ... 10 of 10, and Malaysian boys fall at the other end of the spectrum (I will give them a polite 5 of 10). Thais I give 9. Chinese I give 9. Japanese I give 8 only because there is such variation. Filipinos I give 8.
I'd give him a 0.5 out of 10.[/quote:2p4dxp4w]

At least I'm not an over-the-hill, overly-fermented sticky rice, who posts an image of what he would have wished to have looked like in his prime many decades ago.

newalaan
December 4th, 2011, 18:21
who posts an image of what he would have wished to have looked like While there is usually very little to find in lonely_farang's self centred posts to agree with, this one is right on the button regarding beachflooder!

Beachlover
December 5th, 2011, 18:58
At least I'm not an over-the-hill, overly-fermented sticky rice, who posts an image of what he would have wished to have looked like in his prime many decades ago.
Does it please you to believe that? :happy7:

pong
December 6th, 2011, 09:44
He had to take a seat-as the beds were already sold out-as happens fairly often toward Cmai.
Fore more info: seat61.com. The beds vary though and are not all THAT comfy. Plus the eternal delays and messing around with trains, I tend to give the VIP-buses the -very slight- benefit. What you quote without telling the quote is in most of the well-known guidebooks. In German-der crhis j\homelingo-it is even much better described. And full of listing for guesthss, cheap HTls etc. With german punktlichkeit-updated 2-yearly.

christianpfc
December 7th, 2011, 00:52
In German-der crhis j\homelingo-it is even much better described.What is this?