PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Food in Bangkok

kjun12
November 23rd, 2011, 20:48
Having tried several spots allegedly serving Mexican food here in Bangkok it is my opinion that true Mexican or Tex-Mex food is hard to find here. There are several places such as Coyote on Soi Convent which serves food that they say is Mexican but it doesn't taste like any Mexican food I've eaten in Mexico, Texas or Louisiana. It is good food, but Mexican it is not. Bourbon Street Cafe on Sukumvit Soi 22 serves a "Mexican Buffet" on Tuesday nights but it is not very good and not worth the money.

Recently I heard about Sunrise Tacos on Sukhumvit Road, between Soi 12 & Soi 14. and finally tried it. The Grandi Nachos Supreme was barely OK but the rest of our order, we all agreed, was very good. The Margueritas were fine and I enjoyed two of them. One friend had the Taco Rice and Cheese and declared it very good. Another had the Chicken Quesadillas and I had the Pork Tacos which we really liked. Of the Mexican places I have been to, it is the best by far. So, for those of you who like Mexican food I suggest that you give it a try. :3some:

2lz2p
November 25th, 2011, 12:31
Early last year, I spent a couple of months in Bangkok for medical treatment -- returning to my apartment, i usually stopped at Siam Paragon for lunch -- Sunrise Taco is also located there -- I usually ate there at least once or twice a week. I agree, it is good. On one of my visits, there were two other tables occupied (it is a small place with about 8 or so tables) - since we were all westerners, a conversation was struck up including the "where are you from?" -- turns out that the couple at one of the tables was from Dallas, the gentleman at the other was from Austin -- and I chimed in that I was from Fort Worth - all Texans enjoying some Tex-Mex in Bangkok.

Here in Pattaya, I generally go to Mike's for Mexican food -- one dish in particular that I favor is the Carnitas (pork, slow cooked) served with flour tortillas and side dishes. Very similar to what I enjoyed when I used to live in San Antonio and discovered that Mexican food is not all burritos, beef tacos, and enchiladas.

A Sunrise Tacos is nearing completion here in Pattaya - on Thappraya Road at the first entrance in to Jomtien Complex coming from Jomtien Beach Road - the turn is just past Shenanigans. It is on the corner and the target for opening is, I understand, supposed to be the end of this month -- but, knowing how construction projects go here, it may be a bit after that. I hear it is supposed to have seating for about 100 - I think it is a franchise operation from the Bangkok Sunrise Tacos. I am eagerly awaiting its opening to give it a try.