PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya to siem reap

November 23rd, 2011, 14:42
I come to pattaya every year and this year i would like to take a trip to siem Reap, whats the best way to do this? cost effective , how long and how much by mini bus. All help and info appreciated.

paperboy
November 23rd, 2011, 19:24
yes
i would like to know too
im comming for a month next year so would be good to have a alittle side trip

goji
November 25th, 2011, 02:14
I have travelled by bus from the AranyaPrathet/Poipet border crossing to Pattaya northern bus station by bus, so it follow the reverse trip should be possible.
You can then travel from the border to Siem Reap by bus or a $40 taxi. I have only tried the taxi option.

November 25th, 2011, 04:01
Siem Reap..

The big enigma in my travels - I must go back there..

I made a whistle stop visit there about three years ago, to the Kool hotel..

..really nice male masseurs on the staff, but who didn't tout for extras or a tip, despite a gentle hint..

..the receptionist was a really nice girl who brought out the testosterone in me - so I didn't want to walk a rent boy past her..

Female sex workers were hard as nails compared to Thais, and bar prices strangely variable.

..but yeah, I need to visit again..

November 25th, 2011, 05:13
Hi,

Scroll through this list.

It is invaluable and assists you with most things including transport and travelling from Thailand where you will find two articles on the subject.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Siem_Reap#Pub_Street

pong
November 25th, 2011, 06:38
again: there is no need at all to know it all now. When in PTY-just step into any of the 10000s of tr-agents and enquire.
If wanted to do on own=much cheaper, but without assistance, so maybe very scary for many of you.
the full story-aimed at bekpekkers, so maybe also scary, on talesofasia.com. taxi's cost now a lot less as that quoted 40US-and there are many buses now too. and no-yopu do not to prebook anything before or online-it is not even possible.

November 25th, 2011, 11:58
Pong,

The information Dandy required is all there in the link. Many on here like as much information as possible before they travel. He is big enough to disregard anything he feels is not relevant.

It also gives him an idea BEFORE he walks into a travel shop and explains options. Jeez!... :dontknow:

lonelywombat
November 27th, 2011, 07:03
On my recent visit to Siem Reap I met a number of tourists and expats from Pattaya and a frequent comment was the airfare on Bangkok Air was extremely high and not good value. Several flew to BKK Phnom Penh and in one case hired a minibus and the other a taxi from PP to SR. So the first question I ask is how many will be travelling.

I met a group of 4 that hired a minibus in Pattaya to SR, I think the cost was 4000 baht , time quoted for the trip 6.5 hours was lengthened by flood damaged roads. Certainly poor roads if not caused by flooding. They intended to mini bus onto Vietnam and return via PP. Interesting trip. I think they got their advice from Lonely Planet.

Bangkok Air has exclusive rights BKK- SR as they contributed a large amount towards the restituition of the Angor complex. That is how they justify the higher fares.

The options are therefore

Fly direct with Bangkok Air if cost does not worry you.

Fly to Phnom Penh and then fly to SR with Cambodia Air

Share a Minibus or Taxi which might be cheaper but boring, or as suggested maybe dangerous.

November 27th, 2011, 08:38
On my recent visit to Siem Reap I met a number of tourists and expats from Pattaya and a frequent comment was the airfare on Bangkok Air was extremely high and not good value. Several flew to BKK Phnom Penh and in one case hired a minibus and the other a taxi from PP to SR. So the first question I ask is how many will be travelling.

I met a group of 4 that hired a minibus in Pattaya to SR, I think the cost was 4000 baht , time quoted for the trip 6.5 hours was lengthened by flood damaged roads. Certainly poor roads if not caused by flooding. They intended to mini bus onto Vietnam and return via PP. Interesting trip. I think they got their advice from Lonely Planet.

Bangkok Air has exclusive rights BKK- SR as they contributed a large amount towards the restituition of the Angor complex. That is how they justify the higher fares.

The options are therefore

Fly direct with Bangkok Air if cost does not worry you.

Fly to Phnom Penh and then fly to SR with Cambodia Air

Share a Minibus or Taxi which might be cheaper but boring, or as suggested maybe dangerous.

Hi,

From my understanding Bangkok Air paid monies for the airport runway and terminal repairs, renewals and refurbishment to get the exclusivity NOT for Angkor complex.

The cheapest way there I would imagine is with Air Asia to Phnom Penn and then the bus to Siem Reap or the bus from Thailand and change at Poipet down to Siem Reap but then you must run the gauntlet of beggars and taxis controlled by local mafias along with local officials.

http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm

November 27th, 2011, 08:52
How safe is the road trip from Phnom Pen to Seem Reep I read Kevins original post some months back and it sounded like there could be bandits on that road cant you fly with Cambodia Angkor Air?

November 27th, 2011, 08:57
How safe is the road trip from Phnom Pen to Seem Reep I read Kevins original post some months back and it sounded like there could be bandits on that road.

Hi,

Not as much bandits on the road as much as scam artists trying to get you in their car straight from the off of dubious repute!

I can give you good taxi service provider if required. Even Phnom Penn hotels use guys that are well known to them. Yes, you can fly.

Also another possible way to travel from Thailand is:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

November 27th, 2011, 09:20
The bus looked a pretty good option thanks Kevin.

November 27th, 2011, 09:43
The bus looked a pretty good option thanks Kevin.

Good advantage of the bus is there's plenty of people on there too! More secure and safety in numbers although it's a fairly safe journey. For the more adventurous there's the speedboat of course!

These are the things that make it a ' different ' holiday!

stevehadders
November 27th, 2011, 18:18
If you fly to PP I would certainly recommend the bus to Siem Reap. Last year I went from PP to SR by taxi - both myself and my Thai companion were petrified, it was like "playing chicken" with missing a head on collision by seconds several times - maybe just my drivers way of driving, but I was relieved to reach my Hotel in Siem Reap. On the return journey took the bus (the Hotel can do for you, and they send you a feeder mini bus to take you to the bus station, so very easy process), and found it a pleasant and very cheap experience