PDA

View Full Version : What language do they speak in Krabi?

cdnmatt
November 20th, 2011, 22:29
Small and stupid question, but searching on Google only said they speak Thai in Krabi (well, no shit). Kim says they speak their own dialect, but my neighbor says they speak Thai.

So I'm curious, anyone know what language they speak in Krabi? Is it Thai? And by that I mean proper Thai that they learn in school, and we learn in books, school, etc. In other words, Bangkok Thai. Or does Krabi have its own dialect as well? For example, up here they speak Lao / Issan, not Thai. Anyone know about Krabi?

Smiles
November 21st, 2011, 11:48
" ... So I'm curious, anyone know what language they speak in Krabi? Is it Thai? ... "
Thai. There is possibly a southern 'accent' which might identify the Krabi area, but I've never heard of a separate dialect or even language in the same sense that most Isaan folks speak Lao, and many in the southern Isaan Provinces speak Khymer.
But even if they do have a full bore dialect, they'll still speak Thai anyway. Just like in Isaan where they will easily switch over to Thai when necessary.

cdnmatt
November 21st, 2011, 13:37
But even if they do have a full bore dialect, they'll still speak Thai anyway. Just like in Isaan where they will easily switch over to Thai when necessary.

True, everyone will switch over to Thai for you once they realize you don't speak Lao. It's just when say, there's 8 people sitting around having a few drinks. You can't really participate, except for when someone converses directly with you in Thai. For example, watching a movie I can pick up a decent amount because it's in Bangkok Thai, but sitting around listening to Laos I pickup almost nothing.

Thinking of moving, hence the question. Was just thinking if we're going to move, would be nice to go where Thai is the spoken word. Thanks for the help!

mahjongguy
November 21st, 2011, 17:00
In Krabi itself you should expect to hear fairly standard Thai spoken with a moderate southern Thai accent.

However, from nearby and all the way to Malaysia the majority of residents speak Dambro (р╕ар╕▓р╕йр╕▓р╕Хр╕▓р╠•Ð±Ñ€â•£Ð’р╕Юр╕г).

Brad the Impala
November 21st, 2011, 17:40
I would say that the Southern Dialect, or Phasaa Dtai, can be spoken by the inhabitants from south of Ranong(ie from half way between Bangkok and Malaysia down to Malaysia). So from further north than mahjonguy thought. Certainly by the time you get to Takua Pa or Surat Thani, the locals will be naturally conversing in Phasaa Tai, which while it shares some words with the Central Dialect, although they may be pronounced differently, also has it's own vocabulary. The pronounciation of Dtai, as opposed to Thai, is that the former is abbreviated compared to the latter(and let's not get into the tones!).

The locals will of course generally also speak the Central Dialect, although perhaps not in the most southern provinces.

pong
November 23rd, 2011, 07:24
" ... So I'm curious, anyone know what language they speak in Krabi? Is it Thai? ... "
Thai. There is possibly a southern 'accent' which might identify the Krabi area, but I've never heard of a separate dialect or even language in the same sense that most Isaan folks speak Lao, and many in the southern Isaan Provinces speak Khymer.
My expereince-and I have been there quite a few times, is a bit more pessimistic. it is not just a slight dialect/variant, but for me (pretty well in talking and reading standard Thai, can I claim) about Incomprehensible, that rapid omitting many essential diftongs Southern Thai=Pakthai. And far, far harder to learn. But of course-those with education speak also proper Thai, in varying degrees.
Krabii is quite spread out and you have to choose carefully if you intend to move the area. It has a burgeoning tourist sector-and as you can expect there are thus also big crowds of lao and isany workers etc. it seems also to lack (well-nothing is 100% in Thai) the utter greed and cheats that Phuket is now so famous for. Much higher muslim presence. No real gay scene that I have ever heard of. And-but maybe I am a bit biased, pakThai are not that easy to some along with. There are much fewer farang just living with friend or wife-like in Isan, but most have a bisnis and work for it.
If you are looking to move on, my personal suggestion would rather be look east-beyond Pattaya and between Khmer border, Rayong, ban Phe, Chantaburi, Trat and the like. or the more northern parts of South-Thai, like HuaHin/Prachuap etc.

Smiles
November 23rd, 2011, 10:32
" ... my personal suggestion would rather be look east-beyond Pattaya and between Khmer border, Rayong, ban Phe, Chantaburi, Trat and the like. or the more northern parts of South-Thai, like HuaHin/Prachuap etc. ... "
Hua Hin is ~ to my mind anyway ~ the best of the best.
Why? . . . it's NOT Pattaya (that's most important); is (now) a terrific base for Pt's taxi-tour business; is reasonably close to Bangkok but NOT Bangkok's dirty air (we like going there once every 2 months or so); is reasonably close to the south east coast (i.e. lovely remote-ish and glistening clean beaches abound ... the more as you travel south); is reasonably close to Pot's home (well ... is 6 hours 'reasonable'?); it has a nice Mall; has the best Masaman Curry place in Thailand ... the best Pad Thai place ... as well as the close-to-best Khao mun gai places ... the best Panang place (in Thailand); the sun rises over the ocean are enduringly beautiful in the early morn; a secret place for running 4k's out and 4k's back with no dogs; a few good friends ... one of whom brings me breakfast in the morning when she knows I have a hangover; a decently vibrant nightlife, plus the ever-revolving 3 or 4 gay bars hanging around the edges.
You get the picture ...

Unfortunately I hesitate to suggest it to Cndmatt as I'm sure he would depress the hell out of me . . . if not in person, then simply the 'aura', which would be inevitably be floating toxically in the air.

One province we originally thought of (back in 2004 or 5) as being a good place for a home was Phang Nga. But in the end we felt it was just too far away from everywhere else in Thailand (besides Phuket that is).