PDA

View Full Version : a mixed bag of eating out reviews.

Patexpat
November 18th, 2011, 16:25
Over the past week or so we have eaten out at many of our favourite restaurants, but many of them seem to be struggling to keep up the quality at the moment, perhaps due top the influx of Bangkokians, but for the record:

Lan Bai in Jomtien ... a cheap and cheerful restaurant that is usually good value. I had fish, my bf had pork steak ... both arrived undercooked and inedible.

Sizzler in Central - tend to go there before the movies. Very busy. And they could not have got my order more wrong! I ordered beef steak, med to well done, baked potato and burgundy/mushroom sauce. What arrived was Beef steak, VERY rare, french fries and pepper sauce. In fairness they corrected the mistake as soon as it was pointed out and I received a complimentary fresh portion of french fries in addition to my baked potato! But of course my bf had finished his main course long before mine arrived!

Rice and sticky rice on Sukhumvit was up to its usual standard - very enjoyable not to mention the cute waiters!

Bistro Oscar (Poseidon) in Jomtien Complex. We really enjoy this restaurant, but last night we were the only ones dining at around 9pm, although another couple came in later. The starters were OK, although I thought the smoked salmon on my bf plate looked a bit meagre, but adequate. We both ordered pork steak for the main, and both our steaks were raw in the middle - not good for pork! We sent them back, and after 15 minutes fresh steaks appeared that were correctly cooked BUT the kitchen hadn't bothered to keep the veg warm whilst they redid the steaks .. so the veg and sauce was cold. At over B2,000 for 2 inc some wine it was a very disappointing experience.

Aquarius - Jomtien Complex. The popularity of this restaurant seems to wax and wane, not sure why as it serves consistently 'nice' food and the service and waiters are very friendly and pleasant. The only time I have been disappointed here was on a visit about a month ago when they had no potatoes, only french fries! A restaurant with no potatoes? Hopefully a one off.

Ok, feel better now after letting it out! The negative experiences were burning away in side of me .... which is more than can be said for the undercooked food I've been experiencing recently!

November 18th, 2011, 16:34
I can certainly agree with you that there are problems right now.
last nite, new Orleans Restaurant, ordered pork parmagean and spagetti. After 45 minutes I said I was leaving with no food.
15 minutes later it was delivered with a lame excuse that they were so busy. 9 customers I counted in all!! What the heck would have happened if the restaurant was 25% full as this would mean about 20 customers! Half full would be about 40 customers. Not a good sign.
I am trying to eat at the few places i can positively count on.

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 17:53
Shocking ,absolutley shocking news this is

I wonder what the Thais that are displaced from their homes would think right now about slightly undercooked pork steaks and cold - Yes the horror of it COLD VEG ---

Hmmmmmmmm'

Yes i know that at 2000b for two (or even at 200b ) you expect to get what you order ,and for it to be satisfactory ,but given the current climate mabye a little perspective might be in order ?

My favorite eating spot is Bordeaux and the only thing that they seem to have ran out of is waiters !!!,food standards remain as always --they are activley looking at the moment for staff tho !

November 18th, 2011, 18:11
I do understand what you are suggesting Martin and I do sypathize with the displaced victims of the floods just as I am sure Pat does, but does that mean that at regular everyday prices that the people that are in the areas that are not affected should be subjected to second or even third rate service and or quality? When there is a hurricane in the USA or an earthquake in a region of the world does the world come to a stand still and say, well now we have an excuse to give bad service or cold and not up to par quality of food? Does that give an excuse to get orders wrong and serve cold uncooked food or make patrons wait an hour for a simple dish when you only have 9 customers? I would certainly understand it if the excuse was that they ran out of something due to the deliveries not coming in. We all understand that. I don't know, you tell me. :dontknow:

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 18:48
Justme you are entirely correct -its no excuse for standards to suffer --

My main point was that given the hardships occuring in this country right now that mabye " NOW "might NOT be the most appropriate" TIME "for us Farang to be moaning about the hardships of getting served undercooked pork steaks and cold veg --get my drift ??

lexusgs
November 18th, 2011, 19:28

My main point was that given the hardships occuring in this country right now that mabye " NOW "might NOT be the most appropriate" TIME "for us Farang to be moaning about the hardships of getting served undercooked pork steaks and cold veg --get my drift ??

Kinda like complaining about flabby guys and small drinks don't ya reckon mate :evil4:

lexusgs
November 18th, 2011, 19:30
Rice and sticky rice on Sukhumvit was up to its usual standard - very enjoyable not to mention the cute waiters!

Pat,

Where is Rice and sticky rice located on Suk Rd? Any landmarks to make it easy to find?

Cheers

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 20:24

Kinda like complaining about flabby guys and small drinks don't ya reckon mate :evil4:

Ok Ok Ok you got me on that one 555555

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

lexusgs
November 18th, 2011, 20:30
So HAVE got a sense of humour mate nice one....could n't resist..lol

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 20:37
So HAVE got a sense of humour mate nice one....could n't resist..lol

And u were quite right not to resist lol

Did i ever give the impression i hadnt lol ---- humour doesnt cost any money and i find it goes a hell of a long way in getting somebody into bed !!

hmm looks like the last 6 posts by me and combat on the stage/political/thai topic have been deleted !!!!!!!!!!!!!! not encouraging at all mr new owner !!

{not deleted, split and moved - jinks}

Patexpat
November 18th, 2011, 21:14

I have every sympathy for flood victims, including friends of mine who live just north of Suwanaboom airport and are flooded to a depth of 1.5 metres, but what has this got to do with poor service in a restaurant? It's a good excuse for poor service, but that's all it is. An excuse. The flooding has no direct bearing on a restaurant being unable to perform but happily take my money.

I'll tell you what, for the next week I won't fulfill my business obligations here, give poor service, blame it on the floods and see how much sympathy my customers give me, shall I?

I run a business here, dependent upon certain supplies from just north of Bangkok, and right now I can still fulfill my obligations to my clients not just in Pattaya, but throughout Thailand thanks to the dedication, resourcefulness and hard work of my staff. Why can't a restaurant cook a simple piece of meat correctly? Especially if they want to survive in difficult times?

Your argument can be falsely applied to just about any thread on this board.

Patexpat
November 18th, 2011, 21:17

Pat,

Where is Rice and sticky rice located on Suk Rd? Any landmarks to make it easy to find?

Cheers

As you drive towards Sattahip it's on the left hand side of Sukhumvit just past Tesco Lotus south Pattaya.

martin911
November 19th, 2011, 00:39

I have every sympathy for flood victims, including friends of mine who live just north of Suwanaboom airport and are flooded to a depth of 1.5 metres, but what has this got to do with poor service in a restaurant? It's a good excuse for poor service, but that's all it is. An excuse. The flooding has no direct bearing on a restaurant being unable to perform but happily take my money.

I'll tell you what, for the next week I won't fulfill my business obligations here, give poor service, blame it on the floods and see how much sympathy my customers give me, shall I?

I run a business here, dependent upon certain supplies from just north of Bangkok, and right now I can still fulfill my obligations to my clients not just in Pattaya, but throughout Thailand thanks to the dedication, resourcefulness and hard work of my staff. Why can't a restaurant cook a simple piece of meat correctly? Especially if they want to survive in difficult times?

Your argument can be falsely applied to just about any thread on this board.

Prob u will feel a little stupid at the end of the week if you did that :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

Dont get the "argument can be falsey applied" bit tho !!

Beachlover
November 23rd, 2011, 23:27
Even plenty of Thais themselves are complaining about little things like this, despite knowing their fellow countrymen are suffering badly.

I agree with Patepat on this one... There's always shit happening somewhere in Thailand, if not a disaster, then at least general poverty. Even if there's nothing happening in Thailand there will always be some epic human tragedy happening somewhere around the world... But life and commerce must still go on elsewhere.