PDA

View Full Version : Little Moscow

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 00:03
Whilst out this evening walking the dog i took a different route from normal and ended up at the bottom of Soi 12 thayappra --- so i walked up the soi to get back to where i was going
wow what an eye opener -- it was thronged with Russian families ,the shop signs are 90% in russian --i had to search for english ones !!!!
Now we all know that the amount of russian visitors to Pattaya has increased in recent years but this soi has to be seen to believed !!!!!

And the vendors are taking a advantage of them also -- i enquired to the price of fresh coconuts at one stall and was quoted 40 baht -- u can get then at Wat chai markets for 20-25 b

At another stall i asked for the price of fresh pineapple (30b also ) and was awnsered by the thai vendor in Russian --and i watched as he then spoke in Russian to another couple in their own language ---

And there was a lot of young sexy hunks strolling up and down the soi --mostly with young sexy russian girls hanging off them --

lexusgs
November 18th, 2011, 00:14
Totally agree with you on that one. The area around Cozy beach is exactly the same. I was chatting to a couple of Thai friends earlier tonight who were complaining about Sansuk Sauna. So many Russian guys there early evenings. The problem for them seems to be that the Russian guys only want to have fun with other Russians. The Thai guys are acting like their noses have been put out of joint. Quite funny really. If you check out Grindr right now in the Patts area there are a large number some very hot looking Russian guys on offer. That's if they 'float your boat' of course.

francois
November 18th, 2011, 03:44
There is another enclave of Russians in vicinity of the Sanctuary of Truth in Naklua.

martin911
November 18th, 2011, 07:04
There is another enclave of Russians in vicinity of the Sanctuary of Truth in Naklua.

I keep meaning to go there ---- anybody suggest the best way for say 4/5 to get there -- is it too long a trip for 2 motorbike taxis ???

colmx
November 18th, 2011, 07:31

I keep meaning to go there ---- anybody suggest the best way for say 4/5 to get there -- is it too long a trip for 2 motorbike taxis ???

BF and I often go fishing at the pier beyond The sanctuary of Truth...
Its not too far to go on a mocy...have even done it carrying 2 fishing rods (and many stares!)

Best bet though would be to take songtaew along 2nd road to dolphin roundabout
If you are luckly he will turn down Naklua
If you are unlucky he will turn down beach road and you can jump out at the dusit and take a North bound Songtaew or Mocy to Naklua Soi 12 and on to the Sanctuary

Bring your cheque book its 500B per head for entry! (even Thai price)
Knowing your gang I think they would rather spend the 2500 in a disco :occasion5:

francois
November 18th, 2011, 08:27

Hire a Baht Bus for you and your friends or
You can PM me for number of a driver with car if you want.

ikarus
November 18th, 2011, 08:47
I

Best bet though would be to take songtaew along 2nd road to dolphin roundabout
If you are unlucky he will turn down beach road and you can jump out at the dusit and take a North bound Songtaew or Mocy to Naklua Soi 12 and on to the Sanctuary

That is generally a very good hint if one wants to travel from South Pattaya to Naklua area. I like an Armenian restaurant located in Naklua and if I hire Songtaew, it costs me 200 baht...( I do not use mocy).

christianpfc
November 18th, 2011, 22:39
-mostly with young sexy russian girls hanging off them --
Young sexy russian girls? Are you sure you are in the right forum?

Does anyone have an idea how to find out before boarding the baht bus and without asking the driver (which would interprete it as hiring him and increase the price)?

Narakmak
November 19th, 2011, 03:15
The other day at the to Jomtien baht bus queue some Russkie broads were taking three seats for two and wouldn't budge. So I sat on them. True story. I don't recommend it but if they act like animals how are we supposed to respond?

BTW, I think Russian tourists are ruining Pattaya and I am not afraid to admit it.

From Russia with riches - and rudeness
Move over loud Americans and towel-brandishing Germans - now thereтАЩs a new tourist annoying British holidaymakers, says Max Davidson.

Every generation of British holidaymakers has its b├кte noire, its least favourite fellow tourist, and this summer it's the Russians Photo: Getty
By Max Davidson5:49PM BST 20 Aug 2008
First it was Brad from Illinois, with his 20-stone wife, trying to do Europe in a week. Then it was Fritz from Munich, hogging the sunlounger. Then it was Shane from Brisbane, with the accent you could cut with a knife. Every generation of British holidaymakers has its b├кte noire, its least favourite fellow tourist. And there is no doubt who is filling the bill this summer тАФ Ivan from Moscow, the hotel guest from hell.
See that guy with a gold bracelet propping up the bar, with a blonde on each arm? ThatтАЩs Ivan. See the guy at the corner table, puffing clouds of smoke while snapping instructions into his mobile phone? ThatтАЩs IvanтАЩs mate, Nikolai. See the guy with bulging biceps squiring the blowsy redhead in the see-through shirt? ThatтАЩs IvanтАЩs mate NikolaiтАЩs minder, Boris. And, yes, that is a gun in his armpit, just above the tiger tattoo.
Ivan and his entourage seem to be everywhere, from the Aegean to the Canary Islands, and if you go by the anecdotal evidence, they are making more enemies than friends.
When it came to behaving badly abroad, the gold medals used to go to British lager louts, trashing places like Benidorm and Faliraki. We are still a force to be reckoned with тАФ the number of British holidaymakers arrested is up 15 per cent on last year тАФ but we have been knocked off the podium by the Russians.
RELATED ARTICLES
'Russians donтАЩt get the idea of discretion, do they?тАЩ 20 Aug 2008
Russians are 'ugliest tourists' 08 Aug 2008
тАЬThe place was crawling with them,тАЭ says a friend who has just returned from a week in a five-star hotel in Antalya in Turkey. тАЬMen in hideously tight Speedo trunks, women who looked about 16 and dressed like prostitutes... They were loud, aggressive, smoked incessantly, filled the place with their fumes. As for booze, they outdid the Brits at their own game: got drunk faster, and were more aggressive afterwards.тАЭ
I had a similar experience at a Greek beach resort. There was an isolated cove with the words тАЬQUIET BEACHтАЭ posted in five different languages. Which accent reverberated across the sand as the rest of us tried to read? You guessed. And who ostentatiously ordered the most expensive bottles of champagne on the wine-list to wash down their lunch? Got it in one.
Partly, of course, we are envious, the way we used to be envious of American tourists when the dollar ruled. For heavenтАЩs sake, we think to ourselves, as the rouble billionaires flash their wads, it is only 20 years ago that these guys were queuing barefoot for bread in the snow.
But there is more to it than envy. There is a clash of cultures: different social attitudes to everything from smoking to mobile phone use and appropriate skirt lengths. It is a toxic combination - and the way modern package tourism works, with 50 Russians suddenly pitching up at the same hotel as 50 Brits or Germans, only makes it more so. National differences get magnified; mutual resentment festers.
Among many тАЬOld EuropeтАЭ hoteliers, there is a perception, fair or not, that Russians in large numbers are bad news. In 2007, in the upmarket Austrian ski resort of Kitzb├╝hel, it was decided to impose a 10 per cent тАЬquotaтАЭ on Russians: they were felt to lower the tone and put off other guests.
Even the mighty Roman Abramovich is not immune to the backlash against his countrymen. Earlier this month, the multi-billionaire Chelsea owner was refused a table at a restaurant on the Tuscany coast. He was told тАФ and how one envies the man who did the telling тАФ to come back tomorrow as the restaurant was fully booked. тАЬFrom north to south,тАЭ said La Stampa, the Turin daily, тАЬa rebellion is growing against those who show off their wealth and power.тАЭ
All over the Mediterranean, there are frictions. Some of them are comically trivial. Non-Russians, for example, are baffled by the way Russians like to reserve seats for evening entertainment by placing pebbles or apples on the chairs тАФ shades of the infamous German towels. But some of them go deeper.
тАЬIt is as much a question of decibels as anything else,тАЭ says a friend with bad memories of disturbed nights on a holiday on the Croatian coast last summer. тАЬThere were only about a dozen Russians in the hotel, but they made enough noise for 50. They didnтАЩt seem to have any conception that other people might want a more low-key kind of holiday. When I tried to complain, that only made things worse.тАЭ
In the interests of international harmony, it is fair to say that not all Britons have had bad experiences of Russians on holiday: indeed, it has been said that it is our snobbery, not their rudeness, that is the problem.
тАЬSome of them do make an easy target,тАЭ says travel writer Claire Wrathall, who spent time in Russia as a student. тАЬI am thinking of the ones who turn up in the bar wearing silver trainers or an absurd amount of bling. But if you take the trouble to get to know them, particularly the ones travelling on their own rather than in a tour group, they are remarkably sophisticated, the reverse of narrow-minded. Russians tend to be much better at languages than the British and they have a healthy respect for British traditions and culture.тАЭ
Hope springs eternal, of course, and when one sees names like Andrei Petrovich or Natalia Godunova in a hotel register in Greece or Italy, one entertains fantasies about meeting characters straight out of Tolstoy or Chekhov: gentle, intelligent, humane; the proud representatives of a great culture.
But why are so many of those fantasies dashed by the sound of a drunken shriek and someone falling off their barstool?

loke
November 19th, 2011, 04:54
I think that maybe we can gay russians as an alternative to Thais soon , in Jomtien area.

So I think we can both enjoy it , I can but maybe for free in a sauna or bar. Russian money boys would not be my cup of tea.

ikarus
November 19th, 2011, 07:59
BTW, I think Russian tourists are ruining Pattaya and I am not afraid to admit it.

'

I already mentioned on this board that half of all tourists in Pattaya are from Russia and post-Soviet countries (including local Thai tourists). If for whatever reason all of them disappear, Pattaya simply will be a ghost town. On other threads
I saw some irritation regarding Arabs (and their numbers are clearly growing too). You, guys, need to learn how to live in the new world where bankrupt West plays diminishing role and your financial advantages quickly disappear. Vast majority of Russians and Arabs in Pattaya pose absolutely no problems and there are (still) plenty of swines from Australia, UK and other Western places. Thus, just shut up with your bigoted views and enjoy new infrastructure build by Russians (like excellent Armenian restaurant I mentioned).

Narakmak
November 19th, 2011, 12:15
Excuse me, but don't put me in the racist bag of people complaining about Arabs, Indians, Iranians, etc. I think they are great tourists. It is the Russians, when they reach the critical mass they have now reached here, that become packs of uncouth brutes. There are so many that I get taken for Russian quite often and when I reply that I don't speak Russian, in Russian, they always instantly turn into rude dolts, practically spitting in my face as they turn their heads away as if I am not a human being. I also love diversity in culture and diversity in food. I also like Russian food. We had Russian restaurants before they took over. If you don't see the problem of their shockingly uncivilized pack behavior, believe me, before long, you will.

November 19th, 2011, 14:48
....don't put me in the racist bag of people complaining about Arabs, Indians, Iranians, etc. I think they are great tourists. It is the Russians...

:sign5:

Narakmak
November 19th, 2011, 15:03
....don't put me in the racist bag of people complaining about Arabs, Indians, Iranians, etc. I think they are great tourists. It is the Russians...

:sign5:
I agree that is funny, but the way the rude Russian mobs are poisoning the atmosphere of Pattaya is no laughing matter.

BTW, I don't hate Russian people as individuals. I have had good Russian emigre friends and many of them are indeed super intelligent and cultured. I have relatives who live in Russia and many who came from Russia. However, in mass tourism form, they are a horror show, and that is a fact, and most Russians being honest would tell you the same.

People who don't see that are being too politically correct for their own good. This is a real problem and it is getting much worse every year.

If it was Germans, Americans, Brits, Iranians, etc. causing the widely visible rude bomb that is the Russian tourist invasion, I would peg it on any of those groups. But it isn't. The problem is specifically -- Russians.

This is from PRAVDA. Yes, the PRAVDA, from Russia.

Russian tourists" is a phrase that makes many shudder. Rightfully or not, but Russians earned a reputation of rude alcoholics who like to splurge but have no knowledge of basic etiquette. A German citizen who requested his money back after his vacation was тАЬruinedтАЭ by Russians in Turkey added more fuel to the fire.

A funny but sad incident was made public the other day. A German tourist came back from his vacation in Turkey and filed a claim in a court demanding a part of his money back.

The tourist paid 589 Euros for all-inclusive vacation widely popular among Russians and was placed in a hotel filled with Russians by 80%. These Russians caused the tourist much frustration. He said that they ruined his vacation by being тАЬrudeтАЭ and тАЬunbearable.тАЭ The Dusseldorf judge was not convinced and declined the claim.

It is not so much about this particular unlucky German, but about the fact that for many the phrase тАЬRussian touristsтАЭ sounds like something horrible and extremely indecent. Everyone knows that certain travel agencies sell special packages for resorts with no Russians present. Not that many know that the buyers of these packages are mainly Russians. It turns out Russians are ashamed of themselves.

Of course, we can say that the bad fame of тАЬalways drunk RussiansтАЭ is a gross exaggeration. Yet, from time to time Russians show themselves in not so favorable light. A good example is a recent video published on-line showing a Russian female in Turkey or Egypt causing an ugly scandal over slow service. While this nice looking lady was cursing a bartender, the crowd was happy to encourage her.

Last year an opinion poll was conducted among Europeans where the participants said the Russian tourists did a lot of harm to others. Russians frustrate other tourists when they bring beach chairs to their rooms to guarantee they have them next day or pack food into their bags at buffets.

They behave extremely rude, speak loudly, and are generally unpleasant. Additionally, they flash their money trying to demonstrate to everyone how wealthy they are.

Interestingly enough, the last characteristic is appreciated in the Crimea. Local hotel owners say that while Russians drink and damage everything, they pay for this damage in full. тАЬWhen Russians are having fun they want everyone around to have fun. Waiters get ridiculously large tips. Usually after too much food and alcohol Russians fight. Normally it is not only people who suffer but hotel assets as well. Furniture, TVs and glass get crashed. Next morning guests move to another room, pay for the damages and continue their vacation,тАЭ local hotel owners said.

Ksenia Obraztsova
Pravda.Ru

November 19th, 2011, 19:31
I don't deny there may be obnoxious Russians but, during the time I have spent in Thailand, I have come across equally obnoxious Americans, Germans, Arabs, and English. No doubt some would add "half-pissed Scots mincing round BT and Sunee in full highland dress" as I have been known to do.

The point is - people are (generally speaking) obnoxious not because of their nationality but because of their personality.

Ask 100 people in Pattaya which nationality your (Pravda) quote:

"They behave extremely rude, speak loudly, and are generally unpleasant. Additionally, they flash their money trying to demonstrate to everyone how wealthy they are"

applies to and you'll get several different answers!

:rolling:

Narakmak
November 19th, 2011, 19:57
Wake up and smell the vodka! :occasion9: