PDA

View Full Version : Self preservation for Old Gits

January 9th, 2006, 22:58
Considering the number of recent deaths of those that frequent this board, I'm pondering pursuing some Life Extension strategies. There is an article in the January issue of GQ about neuretics, HGH, and testosterone therapy for those men of a certain age.

As a self-confessed 'Old Git' Im also interested in this subject!
(Aren't we all?)
The current issue on sale here is February :(
Tried to find the article via their website but failed.
Any links to this or similar articles welcome! :)

At the moment I'm just practising 'self-pickling' using alcohol. It isnt working :?

January 10th, 2006, 09:30
I've checked online and that particular article is evidently not available in electronic form. If I get a hard copy, I'll scan and email. The primary health facility mentioned in the article is in Las Vegas and has offices in Korea, etc.. They have more info on their website. http://www.cenegenics.com Since low dosage testosterone and HGH and other things are often not covered by insurance, seems like Thailand might be a perfect place as a low cost source. Obviously some of this stuff is used by bodybuilders in abundance...but low dosages reportedly help you lose fat, reduce cholesterol, gain muscle, reduce risks of osteoporosis and, uhm..let me think....help with your sex life.

PS Fixed the link above.

January 10th, 2006, 10:16
I live in Las Vegas so if you have a physical address for the location, I can check it out for you...just pm me.

cottmann
January 10th, 2006, 10:35
Before trying out any of these schemes, try a Google search on testosterone scams, etc, first, and then decide whether or not the "treatment" is worth the cost. And before you get on these firms' email lists, remember that getting off them is hard work!

lonelywombat
January 10th, 2006, 17:56
Some 30 years ago, there was a anti aging treatment guru in Harley St London
that used sheep embryos.

Patrick Macnee, star of the famous The Avengers , was one of the reported believers.

Press reports at the time stated that the treatment used all the parts of the unborn lamb
to treat human illnesses. Liver to treat liver complaints. There was apparently no end to what illnesses could be cured by use of the lamb cells.

Several big name personalities were known to have made the trip from Australia to Harley Street for the treatment, although denying it profusely.

Several years later one of the big names admitted that he had been to London for the treatment, but gave it up as he started to feel sheepish.

It was often said in later years, that Patrick Macnee was considered somewhat of a ram!

January 10th, 2006, 19:00
Personally, I have no idea how a doctor can reasonably recommend people to aim to increase their metabolism (hormonally, or via exercise). The faster your metabolism, the faster your biological aging process is operating surely? When I asked my doctor about that he looked at me like I was nuts.

Simple principle, the faster you drive your car, the sooner it will fail, right? That must be why the people who live past 100 are always so skinny and small. Sedentary life, and few calories. The problem is that western people eat food as a form of fun and entertainment, and allow it to become habit forming, and lifestyle defining.

Smiles
January 10th, 2006, 19:45
"... The problem is that western people eat food as a form of fun and entertainment, and allow it to become habit forming, and lifestyle defining ... "
I just knew that I'd end agreeing with one of your theories sooner or later, Objective. (Or at least part of it ... the thoughts on "metabolism" are nonsense): " ... When I asked my doctor about that he looked at me like I was nuts... ". And rightly so! :D

That's 1 out of 10 (or so ... the record's not great), but it's one of my pet favourites. The USofA is going to implode with the cost of taking care of the (terrible) health of this majority (!!) over the next 20 years. (Getting out of Iraq might help the national pocket book. For a peek at how much the war is costing, click here: Oh My God! (http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182) ).

Carry on . . .

Cheers

January 10th, 2006, 21:54
The USofA is going to implode with the cost of taking care of the (terrible) health of this majority

Not to worry Smiles, those of us here in the States without money will die in the waiting room at county hospitals...those with money will have the doctors quickly purge their wallets...those with insurance will be over charged and dropped and also die in the county hospital waiting rooms.

Easy solution...

richard

January 10th, 2006, 22:01
There is an anti-ageing facility attached to Bumrungrad Hospital, with doctors who specialize in this relatively new field. The facility is called the Vitalife Center, and they also have weight loss programs:

www.e-vitallife.com (http://www.e-vitallife.com)

January 10th, 2006, 22:03
"...western people eat food as a form of fun and entertainment"

Eastern people do the same thing, and have done so for centuries.

January 10th, 2006, 22:14
Done what same thing? Eaten themselves into an early grave en masse in attempt to avoid boredom?

January 10th, 2006, 22:21
No, dear. Eaten as a form of fun and entertainment. Eating is just as much -- or more -- of a social occasion in the East as in the West. The only difference is that much Eastern food is a little more healthful than Western food does.

January 10th, 2006, 23:54
The thread is about health, and that was what my post was in reference to. Nevertheless, I still maintain that westerners are the worlds gluttenous gastronomic hedonists, and asians are not.

Healthier asian food doesn't necessarily equate to less calorific food. What matters above all is how much the person decides they want to stuff down their cakehole. Indeed, westerners only ever get told they're ordering an unusually large amount of food if they're in a foreign restaurant. Consider the reasons for that.

In my experience, asians are more interested in the way the food is served than cramming as much of it down their throats as possible as a means to attain life fulfillment. Maybe you hang around a different asian crowd (a fatty one). Up to you as they say.

I know that fat can be an un-pc word. So let me say it again. FAT.

dab69
January 11th, 2006, 01:20
an asian friend eats and drinks twice my amount, and he's ~125 pounds always

jimnbkk
January 11th, 2006, 01:45
In my many trips to LOS, I have noted that all the fat people I see are caucasian. I see no (nearly anyway) fat Asian people. But, I read in the paper in Pattaya on my last trip that the Health Department has begun to worry because the kids are beginning to eat the Western junk food that is becoming more and more available, and they're starting to get fat, just like our kids here in the USA.

January 11th, 2006, 02:10

Is this a throw away statement, or did you actually perform some sort of test?

January 11th, 2006, 02:15
Actually, with regard to caloric intake, there is some fascinating research with smaller mammals (mice / rats). If you feed them 1/3 fewer calories, their lifespan is doubled. There are also some recent studies which suggests even moderate exercise (i.e., walking) reduces the risk of heart attack. More vigorous regular exercise probably has benefit with regard to both cholesterol and reduction in risk of heart disease.

Of course, probably the most important factor for a long, healthy life is to pick the right parents (genetics plays a big role).

Cardiovasicular disease is a big killer of men. Major risk factors for cardiovascular disease include age > 40 (advancing age), high "bad" LDL cholesterol (which should be aggressively treated with statin drugs if diet fails), smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure. Each one of these factors is additive, increasing your risk. And some carry more risk than others (i.e., a diabetic is more likely to have a heart attack than someone who has already had a heart attack!). If we have any of the above, we should make sure to control/treat very well.

There are also minor risk factors, like family history of heart disease, obesity, large abdominal girth, no exercise, etc.

Also, other things like routine colorectal screening at age 50 (40 if you have a first degree relative with colorectal cancer). This may mean getting a full colonoscopy.

We all would like to think a magic pill or shot will make us live longer or healther. But the simple (but certainly not EASY) things have proven benefit: don't smoke, eat moderately to keep weight down, exercise regularly (take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk, work out at gym), and control things like cholesterol, blood sugar and high blood pressure. Often, diabetes & high blood pressure is not well controlled -- you probably should monitor on your own at home in addition to regular doctor visits. And be proactive in your own health, and read and be aware.

colmx
January 11th, 2006, 02:47
Sorry to disagreee with those above who say they have seen hardly any fat or over weight Thais... But Have you ever been to a Thai village?

I would say the percentage of Middle-aged over weight Thai people in an issan village is about as high as the percentage of Over weight people in any european country or Australia (I'll leave the US out of this!)

However when it comes to the younger generations the Thais seem to be Skinnier/Slimmer... but give them a few years after they turn 30 and a lot but not all would be as overweight as their Western counterparts...

From my experiences anyway!
All that Beer chang eventually catches up on people! :cry:

January 11th, 2006, 03:28
Simple principle, the faster you drive your car, the sooner it will fail, right?

A bit over simplistic, "obective". Cars are mechanincal, humans are organic.

In my experience, Asians get much more of the pleasure in their lives from food than non-Asians. There are plenty fat Thais around. You're just not looking at them. They were overfed by doting parents and probably have no prospect of a job as a pole dancer.

The Asian diet probably has a higher carbo and lower protein content than the western diet, but they sure make up with frying vis-a-vis grilling.

Dodger
January 11th, 2006, 05:44
The last place in the world I would go for health advice would be a doctor (in the West). The prescriptions they shove into the faces of their ignorant patients are as toxic (poisonous) as the food that most westerners eat, and it's making them rich.

I'm convinced that eating as much organic food as possible (easier said than done I confess), avoiding prescription and non-prescription medicines (poisons), getting a little regular exercise... including a lot of sex, and not getting stressed out about trivial shit, is the best approach to living a healthy life.

The food in Thailand is 10 times healthier than western food (IMO) due to the fact that a much higher percentage is grown and/or processed organically.

Don't drink the water and remember to brush your teeth after every blow job and you should do just fine.

mai pen rai

January 11th, 2006, 14:13

'And he never seems to stop eating,' right?
I tried eating the same way: six small meals (A healthy snack(s) = 1 meal.) instead of three belly-busters. I lost...a lot of... weight & was not hungry.

January 11th, 2006, 14:50
A bit over simplistic, "obective". Cars are mechanincal, humans are organic.

Indeed we are organic. Relatively complex organic mechanical machines. The very reason that scientific research into the human body is possible, is because the body operates just as a machine, and can be studied as such.

Statin drugs are to my knowledge the most popular and successful commercial drug in the USA. However, despite this, heart disease accounts for almost 50% of deaths. One would not be unreasonable to observe that the statin drug group is clearly not having any results on the high USA heart disease rates.

Surely a country that has such high popularity for heart disease treatment, should have one of the lowest levels of heart disease in the world?

Yet it appears to me that high statin use co-incides with high heart disease. Causes aside, statistically I am much more likely to die of a heart attack if I am on statins than otherwise! Statins have not been proven to extend life, they have only been proven to suppress certain liver functions. I suspect that liver function is not the cause of heart disease, but merely a measure of general health which may co-incide with heart disease risk levels.

Geezer
January 11th, 2006, 21:59
You wrote, тАЬIndeed we are organic. Relatively complex organic mechanical machines. The very reason that scientific research into the human body is possible, is because the body operates just as a machine, and can be studied as such.тАЭ

I do hate to cast aspersions objectiveтАЩ (why on earth did you chose that handle?) but you have tempted me beyond my capacity.

Look up the definition of тАЬorganicтАЭ. Look up the definition of тАЬmachineтАЬ. If your thinking as muddled as your writing it is no wonder your postings concerning HIV/AIDS were bizarre.

If you wish to be taken seriously you will do better..

January 11th, 2006, 22:20
Dictionary.com definition of machine #4.) An intricate natural system or organism, such as the human body.

Mirriam Webster Definition of machine 2a: A living organism or one of its functional systems

I don't tend to post about things unless I'm reasonably confident about what I'm saying. I take myself seriously, even if you don't. Please close the door on your way out.

Geezer
January 11th, 2006, 22:43
:oops: Objective, the definition of machine you have cited is correct. :oops:

I, of all people, should know that words have myriad definitions. I once told a student I would kiss his butt if I were wrong. It developed that I was wrong, and I told him to come to the front of the class where I would perform the act.

While the class waited with baited breath I told him to bend over. I lightly brushed the seat of his pants with my hand. Then pointed to the umpteenth definition of kiss as "to lightly brush", as тАЬthe wind kissed the treesтАЭ.

Smiles
January 11th, 2006, 23:02
(As my Thai guy says): Dear My Geezer,

In your opinion ~ such is the length of time you've been haunting these message boards (and I wouldn't have it any other way) ~ is there a quantitative (or qualitative for that matter!!!) difference between an OLD GIT and an OLD GEEZER?
Or are they interchangeable?

I ask this as once I almost referred to Hedda as an old Git (can't remember why). But I stopped in my tracks when I realized "Git" sounded very much like "geezer". I thought of you and promptly changed my course.

Cheers ...

January 11th, 2006, 23:03
No worries, so long as I can 'kiss' the 6 pack of the boy in your avatar! Either definition will do!

Geezer
January 11th, 2006, 23:33
I canтАЩt elucidate on тАЬold gitтАЭ vs. тАЬgeezerтАЭ. So far as I know the term тАЬold gitтАЭ isnтАЩt known south of the border --eh.

I appreciate beyond my ability to express, your taking care not to confuse others regarding the distinction between Geezer and Hedda.

January 12th, 2006, 06:08
I love some of the "arguements" above which are totally vacuous: statins don't work because doctors are greedy! Huh? Numerous studies have shown the benefit of statins in many patient populations, usually a reduction in cardiovascular-related deaths as well as other problems (a stroke that you survive may not be so pretty!). Starting a statin immediately when you have a heart attack reduces the in-hospital mortality rate, as does taking an aspirin.

There are few guarantees in life. In medicine, there are many "odds". Sure, many people smoke without every getting lung cancer -- just the risk is markedly increased with smoking. And high LDL ("bad") cholesterol doesn't guarantee a heart attack -- but the risk is increased with increasing LDL. 1/3 of first heart attacks are fatal. And there are all the other nasty complications of cardiovascular disease: stroke, erectile dysfunction (uggg), circulatory problems.

With regard to risks, I don't worry about dying or getting injured while driving. But you can be damned sure I always fasten my seat belt, and have a car with front & side airbags.

cottmann
January 12th, 2006, 06:24
I believe that the origin of "git" is from "get," as in all those "begats" in the bible, and in fact refers to (probably illegitiimate) offspring. When I was younger, in fact, it was thought to mean a prostitute's bastard. "Geezer," on the other hand, is used to mean an old man, but when it first appeared in the late 1800's it simply meant a "chap" or "fellow" of any age. Posters will have to decide for themselves whether they are in facts old gits or old geezers.

January 12th, 2006, 11:34
Guess I will just stick to "old fart"! :lol:

Richard

January 12th, 2006, 18:20
Balina757 Numerous studies have shown the benefit of statins in many patient populations, usually a reduction in cardiovascular-related deaths as well as other problems

I agree with you. Plenty of studies show a slight decrease in certain causes of death can be associated with statin use. Statistics can be misleading though. There is no research that shows that statins extend lifespan for people in high risk heart disease groups.

The bona fide purpose of a treatment is to extend life, not for changing the cause of death, and dying as soon as I would have done without a treatment.

January 12th, 2006, 19:27
interesting topic!

at this moment science tells us little about prolonging life by diet or dietary supplements. Furthermore, it is naive to believe that you can erase 40 or 50 years of bodily abuse by simply now changing to something different be it diet or dietary supplements.

The only thing that really works and we all can do at home is EXERCISE in any form (daily at least 25-30 minutes of aerobic exercise with a constant heart rate more than 60% of your resting heart rate) and once an for all change your diet to include olive oil, low fat milk/light cheeses, slow carbohydrates, a lot of fibers and vegetables (including certain nuts) along with white meats (fish, pork, chicken). If you can get the ingredients needed for a Mediterranean diet (and that is very easy in Thailand) that is even better! If you eat in moderation then supplements of vitamins and minerals are TOTALLY unnecessary. Pure Asian diet as we see it in Thailand, China and India is a failure, Japanese diet yes if you mean raw fish and vegetables-soya. To understand the effects of diet from an epidemiological point look at the life expectation of certain populations--Japanese, European Mediterranean, Scandinavians (although in the latter we have the positive effect of excellent health care). Alcohol in moderation--red wine only also contributes with positive effects. Look for no miracles in diet, effects need LONG time to see as long as it took us to destroy ourselves with MacDonald's and Burger Kings. Eliminate smoking and you also add a lot of years in your life expectancy as well as in your looks and potency.

Hormonal supplements have a place in the armamentarium under specific circumstances. Testosterone for men ONLY with established deficiency (prostate cancer risk otherwise), similarly to estrogen/progesterone in women (breast cancer risk). DHEAs no definite answer as yet. Melatonin-crap. The only hormone that actually WORKS is hGH in its correct form, meaning no substances that increase its secretion (such do exist but in the laboratory, not in the internet!). Moreover, hGH increases with exercise and with a specific form of exercise the so called NEMES vibration system (increase in hGH by 490%). Treatment with hGH is feasible in Thailand (MEDISCI +662 941 2975-6, http://www.almedex.com at Vibhavadi hospital, http://www.vibhavadi.com, info@vibhavadi.com, 0-2941-2800) but has to be supervised by an endocrinologist as diabetes, gall bladder stones and in very long use excess tumors are seen. Drug holidays are advised as well, cost is around 30,000 baht a month.

The absolute best thing to do is PREPARE for what is to come, that is heart diseases, cancers, diabetes, spinal cord accidents! That can be done by keeping your own stem cells, so called ADULT stem cells that we all have in our body. Keep them (simple procedure--a machine filters your stem cells in your blood, no hospital stay or, anesthesia) freeze them and when and if time comes to treat your heart attack or diabetes or stroke, take them out and use them at many hospitals in Bangkok. THAI StemLife (02-613 1515-8, info@thaistemlife.com or visit www.stemlife.com (http://www.stemlife.com) for english, www.thaistemlife.co.th (http://www.thaistemlife.co.th) for thai) in Bangkok specializes in keeping, freezing and directing you to treat certain diseases with adult stem cells. As previously noted in the same thread prices are not prohibitive in the 5,000 US $ for most treatments, or to keep you stem cells. Certainly more is to come in stem cells! Observe we are not talking about embryonic stem cells but about ADULT stem cells, similarly to the umbilical cord stem cells of a newborn baby but most of us even if we are reborn in Thailand we have foregone that possibility!

I should add that the latest in statins is that they increase the number of circulating stem cells in our bodies so one reason for their excellent effect is via stem cells!

January 12th, 2006, 22:26
Is that post an advert or what?

I think it's a disgrace that modern medicine endlessly promotes increasing our dependance on it. The emphasis should be on addressing the causes of early aging in sufferers, rather than seeking esoteric and expensive proceedures for doctors to base their careers on.

As for statins, the latest is that they are a cure all. It's called marketing. I heard they even wanted to add them to the water supply! My liver says no to statins. My heart say no to junk food. Your wallet says yes to expensive treatments that do squat. You do more for the economy, than you do for your health.

January 13th, 2006, 04:14
I did not see anybody mentioning it but the stuff is for years the number one or two of recommended supplements on longevity boards.
When feeding it to rats the average life of them increases by 30%. Spectacular increases with old dogs and weasels as well.
In Life Sciences of October 2005 there was a very favorable article about it (you can get the article from Elsevier www.elsevier.com/locate/lifescie (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/lifescie) but have to pay тВм 35,00 for a copy).
Does anybody use it or try it for a while? If you use it how long do you do so and how is your health? If you did use it and stopped doing so why did you stop?

January 13th, 2006, 13:45
Guess I will just stick to "old fart"!

If the fart sticks...you're wearing it. :pottytrain5:

January 13th, 2006, 23:39
When feeding it to rats the average life of them increases by 30%. Spectacular increases with old dogs and weasels as well.

Works on rats, old dogs and weasels? Should work wonders for many of us on this board then!!! :D