PDA

View Full Version : Siem Reap October 2011

Janus
November 15th, 2011, 13:48
Pictures say more than 1000 words.

PaulCambo
November 15th, 2011, 16:13
would be good to add that it was in early October, and it seems now like old history !

all is totaly dry now, since there were almost no rain during the last 3 weeks.

Janus
November 15th, 2011, 18:17
To be precise the pictures were taken on October the 21st. and was not intended to show the flooding. I believe others have done that better. As the pictures that will follow it was ment to show Siem Reap as the wonderfull place it is. To inspire more to visit.

Janus
November 15th, 2011, 21:04
More fun in the water.

Janus
November 15th, 2011, 23:39
On the top down town.

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 12:30
On the wall west of Angkor Thom 1

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 13:32
Angkor Thom West Gate.

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 13:46
On the wall west of Angkor Thom 2

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 14:08
Angkor Thom

Neal
November 16th, 2011, 14:37
I must say Janus these are some beautiful pictures and I really enjoy seeing them.
I think maybe you should repost them in the gallery and write a paragrph or two here and put a link to your gallery page so that people can enjoy them there as well as any future pictures you wish to take of Siam Reap and other places, especially some of the guys you can meet.

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 15:04
Thank you.
I understand.
As I was going to Siem Reap for the first time I tried to get as much information from this board as possible. I read every posting under "Siem Reap" but I never thought of looking in the "Gallery". That is why I try to give viewers easy and immidiately acces to the pictures.
I will keep your words in mind for my next serie.

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 15:13
At the country side.

Janus
November 16th, 2011, 15:32
More.

goji
November 17th, 2011, 02:33
Nice photos.

That looks like the roof of Ei8ht Rooms in there. Is this still a good budget option?

November 17th, 2011, 05:18
Hi,

No flooding or water problems at all in Siem Reap (especially in the vicinity of Pub Street) and busy with large numbers of tourists from all over the World, a more detailed report later with photos for you guys!

PDR Lao tourist numbers are down due to their reliance on Thailand's transportation links but I don't mind that. They seem to be finding alternative means to get to Cambodia somehow though!
La Linga bar doing steady trade as was Miss Wong's last night..... :occasion5:

goji
November 18th, 2011, 01:14
La Linga bar doing steady trade as was Miss Wong's last night.....
Is the trade all friendly & generally free from troublemakers?

Janus
November 18th, 2011, 13:58
This time I stayed for 3 weeks and never met any "troublemakers", only smiles and friendly people. Some trying to make a living from your contribution but can you expect anything else. I always replied with some talking and a smile.
Treat others as you want to be treatet yourself and you will have a very nice time. The khemer people are very openminded and like to talk with you if you alow them to. Most of them speak english very well and are eager to practise their skills.
Having made many trips to Thailand I have a feeling of being more welcome among the khemer people.

November 18th, 2011, 18:47
Hi,

I will post a number of updates when I get chance along with photographs.

This place gets better and better every time I come here. I don't understand the comment on troublemakers as I have witnessed nothing and it's a hell of a lot safer than Pattaya!

goji
November 18th, 2011, 20:55
I don't understand the comment on troublemakers as I have witnessed nothing and it's a hell of a lot safer than Pattaya!

On previous visits, I found the guys mostly behaved well.
I did meet one guy in Siem Reap in Linga bar. He had a couple of beers there, then at least one at the disco & came back to my room afterwards.
After that, he was quite aggressive & demanded $100 for services. I was expecting to make some payment, but the aggressive request for such an abnormal sum was not expected.

Someone will argue it was my fault, but I never have the problem anywhere else in Asia & actually he was the only one in Cambodia.

I've been with about 6 nice guys & 1 troublemaker. How does this compare with other peoples experiences?

Beachlover
November 18th, 2011, 22:04
Awesome photos, Janus. I had a great time in Siem Reap and remember so many of those spots well.

I agree embedding them in your posts is the way to go.

November 19th, 2011, 03:12
Hi,

Heart Rock Disco, which Beachy constantly remembers, is now closed and ceased to exist in the same Soi as Miss Wongs, It has been split into shop houses by the new female spanish owner and my understanding is they will be retail outlets for souvenirs etc. The new spot at the moment is a Disco called SANE which the Cambodians are all raving about.

Station bar is doing OK business and there is another bar further in the same soi on the corner that has a gay owner and cute staff that is open late night and quite good fun.

La Linga has seen some improvement in the quality of street trade it attracts.

I actually stayed at Angkor Riviera near the river and just around the corner from Pub Street. A reasonable hotel that is in a great location for travellers. I couldn't tell you about joiners as I am here with my partner but don't feel, judging by the relaxed attitude, that it would be a problem.

Angkor Wat is simply mind blowing but having now taken a tour there, I can confirm that you must get at least a three day pass to get any kind of comprehension of the place.

Pleased to inform that Cockatoo Resort is more or less back together after the terrible flood damage and are taking bookings and could do with your support, especially those of you looking for a relaxed private secluded resort with gay owners and no problems with joiners.

loke
November 19th, 2011, 04:43
Can anyone tell me if there is gay life in Phnom Penh ?

I am planning a weekend trip there soon . Never been in Cambodia before. Is it dangerous there?

Any bars for gays , and is it cheaper for food and drinks than Thailand.

lonelywombat
November 19th, 2011, 07:38
I found the cost of food and drink much cheaper than in Thailand and wine is even cheaper than at home . See previous posts re currency

I had several groups of friends travelling at the same time I was there. A younger man tried to get me to go with him here. Some nice photos in gallery. He had a great time.Said he would go back to PP just because of this sauna.

http://www.galaxykhmer.com/index.htm

The only gay bar in PP Blue Chilli is a single shop front with a large area on the footpath where there are wicker chairs. The drag show is on the bar and it was the only place I met money boys in PP

All I hear about Manor House indicates it is the only gay place to stay in PP. I was travelling with straights so stayed elsewhere

http://www.manorhousecambodia.com/

Staying in Siam Reap the Golden Banana is somewhat confusing. There are 4 hotels in the same soi all named Golden Banana. One is called the Resort and is the up market, another is B&B and this caters for back packers, the others in between. I found out when I tried to meet friends for drinks. They found out when they tried to use the other hotels swimming pool.
GB is not gay mainly back packers , breeders with kids, straight tourists in the main. No one troubled by male friends coming and going.

Mens resort is the only gay hotel is also a sauna and there are usually local boys there sharing the sauna, gym, the maze and dark rooms. Great value. $2 tuk tuk each way and they will come and pick you in the Market area if you wish.

Both places have plenty of 5 star hotels available

Location is good walking distance to the main area

goji
November 19th, 2011, 17:03
There are some excellent Cambodia gay guides:
http://www.cambodiaout.com/cambodia/phnom-penh-venue-guide/
http://www.cambodia-gay.com/phnom_penh_bars_restaurants.html

According to these, Phnom Penh has several gay venues. In PP, I have only been to the Manor House, Blue Chilli and the Salt Lounge (apparently closed now).
Looks like venues come & go, but the city sustains several gay venues.

Of course, none of these guides discuss the trade, so perhaps that's a topic for this forum?

Beachlover
November 19th, 2011, 19:22
Can anyone tell me if there is gay life in Phnom Penh ?

I am planning a weekend trip there soon . Never been in Cambodia before. Is it dangerous there?

Any bars for gays , and is it cheaper for food and drinks than Thailand.
1. Cambodia's not what I would call dangerous but you should be cautious as you are in any developing country. Be a little more cautious than you are in Thailand. Just be aware of your own personal security... the usual stuff.

2. Gay life in Phnom Penh? Heaps. Got to run so will answer later but you can see what I wrote here: phnom-penh-cambodia-trip-report-t20485.html?hilit=%20phnom%20penh (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/phnom-penh-cambodia-trip-report-t20485.html?hilit=%20phnom%20penh)

lonelywombat
November 20th, 2011, 06:16
It is interesting to note there are 580 members of Gayromeo in Cambodia, 456 which are in PP . 28 in Sihanoukville with just 96 listed as elsewhere. Currently there are 44 travellers listed as planning to visit ,which allows locals to contact them in advance.

For visitors travelling to the country first time, it might be a good idea to make contact by gayromeo first. Hell I am cursing I did not think about it myself until I arrived home.

Beachlover
November 20th, 2011, 07:19
Some people might prefer that, Lonely, but it's soooo easy to meet and hook up with gay guys once you get to Phnom Penh.

There's lots of gay guys at the Heart of Darkness disco after 11pm each night. All the gays hang out in the corner of the dance floor that is opposite the DJ and next to the stairs. Really easy to chat them up. Lots of gays hanging around Blue Chilli on Saturday nights after 8-9pm too (possibly other nights too).

As with most Asian cities, once you meet one friendly gay guy, you get introduced to lots more, everyone wants to know you and your network of friends grows pretty quickly!

I'm sure there are other bars where you can meet gay locals in Phnom Penh, which others here can tell you about...

loke
November 21st, 2011, 05:09
Thanks this is great advice !

I will just check out the bars and the late night disco . Only 2-3 days so we'll see . :party

Janus
June 13th, 2012, 22:16
One more week and I'll be back in Siem Reap. Hopefully I can supply more photos later.
:hello2: :hello2: