PDA

View Full Version : Do you take over gifts for the boy's from your home country

jaydonny
November 15th, 2011, 03:49
Do you take over small gifts or knick-knacks to give to a boy from your home country that they like, but can not get in thailand?

francois
November 15th, 2011, 04:52
I bring Levi 501, button-fly, jeans for the bf; sometimes T-shirts that are unique.

gaymandenmark
November 15th, 2011, 06:07
Danish design t-shirts or sometimes Eau de Toilette. depending on the situation and if we are just friends or "bfriends"
Then I bring back some unique thai modern dress design, that I like back from Thailand.
I have also brought a very cheap but nice necklace with only one jade stone from Burma, it was really appreciated, not because of the price of the jewelry, but for the thought behind it. I bought one for him and one for me :-)
Sometimes I am such a foolish romantic. :happy7:

But I would never bring giftS for the boy'S, only to someone who is really special to me.

anonone
November 15th, 2011, 17:10
I also have brought over some small items for the BF. Unique T-shirts are the most common...but getting the right size is always troublesome.
I am not a shopper by nature.

November 15th, 2011, 17:25
When I used to travel back and forth from USA I found that I could find Levis rather cheap in the factory outlets.
The boys here all seem to wear 27 and 28 waist and the stores in the USA cant seem to sell them so they go to the factory outlet stores. The boys love the genuine ones.

thanatorn-old
November 15th, 2011, 20:14
I gave up on that as a waste of time and money. I found it easier to just take them on a shopping spree as he had probably worked out what he wanted when the ATM arrived. If I did bring anything it ended up at the back of the cupboard.

Dick
November 15th, 2011, 23:24
Anything 'original' and or "expensive" especially with a designer label is coveted. Leave all the labels on especially price stickers, so your boy can provide evidence that its original to any of his friends that might query. Fragrances also appreciated. You can't go wrong with the latest mobile phone either. Personal items such as watches or jewelry are best left until he can shop for them himself when you arrive.

christianpfc
November 15th, 2011, 23:50
Not from my homecountry (Germany), but from France (where I live know). They sell keyring pendants with a miniature Eiffel tower made of coloured aluminium, 5 pieces for 1 Euro (about 45 Baht), an expense even I can bear. I gave them to boys I knew from previous holidays. I've got two left, so I have to remember whom I gave one already on my next holiday, to avoid the blunder of giving the same gift twice (however in a different colour).

Instead of bringing clothes from Farangland for friends in Thailand, I now do all my clothes shopping in Thailand.

paperboy
November 16th, 2011, 00:00
on my next trip, next may
i will take about 6 bottles of after shave
boss,C K1 etc
they love it
its about a quarter of the price here in spain

gaymandenmark
November 16th, 2011, 04:39
Not from my homecountry (Germany), but from France (where I live know). They sell keyring pendants with a miniature Eiffel tower made of coloured aluminium, 5 pieces for 1 Euro (about 45 Baht), an expense even I can bear. I gave them to boys I knew from previous holidays. I've got two left, so I have to remember whom I gave one already on my next holiday, to avoid the blunder of giving the same gift twice (however in a different colour).

Instead of bringing clothes from Farangland for friends in Thailand, I now do all my clothes shopping in Thailand.

You are indeed a cheap charlie.
The boys must be very proud using your aluminium Eiffel Tower keyrings, comparing the colours.
It sounds like some of the souvenirs you can bring back home, to be laughed at, some would use it as "hate gifts"

You must be joking, if you don't, I have to puke.

It must be something like this? great style :laughing3:

http://www.parismile.com/index.php?main ... dc9c5cbc03 (http://www.parismile.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1&zenid=38de4cd286e05832d5509cdc9c5cbc03)

SlaveDriver
November 16th, 2011, 06:27
Yes I brought lots of things each time I come. Laptops, Cameras, netbooks, beautiful cloths, etc depending who it is for. They deserve every good things if they earned it by being nice, caring and loving :party

Smiles
November 16th, 2011, 11:41
I wouldn't buy 'clothes' for anyone on this planet. Personal taste is just too problematic: size for instance ('L' and 'M' and 'XXXL' ~ forget 'S' ~ are totally different in Thailand from the same size designation in the West ... as all you 'XXXL's' out there probably already know :blackeye: ); and t-shirt captions ('Fuck You!!' in huge red letters on the front ~ or a giant in-yer-face Swastika ~ can be all the rage in Thailand ... but would you buy it? Or, would you walk hand in hand with anyone wearing one?).
Forget knick-knacks and items not useful. Forget anything to do with Eiffel Towers. Forget so-called romantic stuff.

Give him money when you get here. Simple, useful (he might buy 'clothes' :blackeye: ), always appreciated. Then ~ if you insist ~ take him shopping and let him pick out a few things he would like. But don't expect him to use the money you've already given him. That's 'for-the-pocket' and thus does not count.

allieb
November 16th, 2011, 20:12
Forget the gifts just take plenty of these

christianpfc
November 16th, 2011, 23:34
The boys must be very proud using your aluminium Eiffel Tower keyrings, comparing the colours.
The facts are as I stated, however the way I wrote was tongue-in-cheek.
They look like in the link you provided, but more different colours.
I am not good at choosing gifts and I don't expect gifts for whichever occasion.
It's the thought that counts, and apart from giving money, I have absolutely no idea what my Thai friends would like.

francois
November 18th, 2011, 04:15
Forget a keychain of the Eiffel Tower; here is what they really want in a keychain with a key, of course:

November 18th, 2011, 04:20
.. I now do all my clothes shopping in Thailand.

How many pairs of socks can you haggle out of the street vendors for 100B?

I think we should be told.

:occasion9:

Beachlover
November 23rd, 2011, 23:34
Tip... Johnnie Walker Double Black (not the normal Black) is a popular and inexpensive gift now. Most Thais haven't tried it before so there's that "exclusivity" factor. Great for gifts for parents too!

There is also Johnnie Walker Platinum (think it's $100+ per bottle from rough memory), which I've never seen before but I haven't tried this yet so don't know how special it is.

For Thailand, I rarely take gifts from my home country as I'm usually passing through at least 1-2 other countries before reaching Thailand. I'll usually pick up stuff on my travels. Saves me adding to the list of chores I have to do when I'm preparing to head abroad and I do a lot of shopping while travelling anyway so lots of easy opportunities to get stuff then.

I usually pick up some sweet or luxury food items or other consumables like alcohol. If you're passing through countries like Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, there are some great delicacies you can buy gift-packed in the local bakeries (Singapore - Bengawan Solo is the best). In Cambodia, pick up wine (so cheap). Japan has all manner of cool things. You get the drift... Every country has great stuff you can pick up as gifts.

If all else fails, Alcohol is good. Cologne is also good but I've found some guys are picky about what they wear so am hesitant with this.

It sounds like some of the souvenirs you can bring back home, to be laughed at, some would use it as "hate gifts"

You must be joking, if you don't, I have to puke.
ROFL... This kind of thing has become ChristianPFC's signature now. Hilarious. We love him.

apart from giving money, I have absolutely no idea what my Thai friends would like.
Come on dude... Coming from France, there must be a million things you can get, which would make lovely gifts. Food and delicacies for a start.

Give him money when you get here.
Bad advice given generally... money isn't a gift unless the guy's a prostitute (which on this site many are but not ALL) or you are doing the Chinese tradition of giving a "Hong Bao" on a special occasion.

gearguy
November 28th, 2011, 04:05
I bring t-shirts, usually from a company here in the US called ajaxx63