PDA

View Full Version : How to get to Nong Nooch and Stone Park cheaply?

christianpfc
November 14th, 2011, 23:56
How to get to Nong Nooch and Stone Park cheaply?

Last summer, I went from Pattaya to Nong Nooch Tropical Garden and to Million Years Stone Park with Thai friends. The return trip by taxi (like those in BKK) cost 800 Baht each. One trip was via a travel agency (one of the booths near a street where you can get brochures as well) and the other was arranged by my Thai friend.

If one considers that you can almost get from BKK to Pattaya in a taxi for that money, it seems quite expensive to me (although I donтАЩt know exactly how far away these two attractions are from Pattaya).

Related to this, this February a trip to Wat Yan (short for Wat Yannasangwararam near Pattaya, close to the large golden Buddha carved in the mountain) with a Thai friend in a Baht-bus cost me 300 Baht, and back to Pattaya another 400 Baht, which makes it more expensive than a similar distance would be by taxi in Bangkok, if my estimation of time and distance doesnтАЩt deceive me.

My question: Are there any forms of public transport to these places or at tours you can book to get there cheaper? A lot of people seem to visit these places, how do they get there from Pattaya and back?

ceejay
November 15th, 2011, 01:37
Most of these places run a mini van service picking up from a dropping off at your hotel. There is a tour desk on the ground floor of Tuk Com that I have used to book these. I don't know the prices off hand, but it's much less than 800 baht. For Nong Nooch, it's 600 baht including entry to the garden and the show:
http://nongnoochgarden.com/visitor.html

francois
November 15th, 2011, 04:57
I have a friend with car in Pattaya who can drive where you want. PM me for # if you want.

pong
November 15th, 2011, 09:14
Warum muss mann eigentlich dahin? why you want to go? Your BoySpecial has seen it millions of times.
No-these places are placed such that normal buses do not serve them-too far from main road=Sukhumvit. On this road buses run as in BKK 20-25 per hour-with various classes and destinations. Stops at North/Central/South roads for PTY. Bahtbus to those stops-and rented motosay from busstop to entry of place.
as above- ANY PTY tr-agent sells tours-minibus included. Some may even give discount for 2-Thai price for ''freund''
Next best: rent motosay-150-200bt/day-and make sure boyspecial knows how to handle it. Normal thing-not a superspeedy the Arabs like to fall from. And then you find that normal entry is most likely even higer as price from agent with bus included.

PattayaBob
November 15th, 2011, 16:24
I think there is a free van provided by Nong Nooch....try their website. It is near Ali Baba Indian Restraunt on Pattaya North Road I think

PattayaBob
November 15th, 2011, 16:29
Here is website they provide pick up and drop off including entrance fee which is 500 baht for 600 baht, not bad http://nongnoochgarden.com/visitor.html#1

Smiles
November 15th, 2011, 19:01
Warum muss mann eigentlich dahin? why you want to go?
True. Nong Nooch is hugely underwhelming ... think shades of wannabe Versailles Palace formal (in Thailand!) and lots of quaintish garden gnomes and assorted lawn thingies. The restaurant is on a pleasant little lake, but the food is no screaming hell.

You might think instead about visiting The Ancient City in Samut Prakhan. Some may disagree, but I thought it was quite an excellent place for few hours before the sun gets hot. Many of the exhibits there are quite extraordinary in their close-to-authenticity. http://www.ancientcity.com/?q=/en/how-to-visit
Oops, I forgot: Samut Prakhan is smack dab in the way of the Great Flood right now. Perhaps the Ancient City will need a clean up.

Marsilius
November 15th, 2011, 22:35
Nong Nooch is hugely underwhelming

After fifteen or so years visiting Pattaya without ever going to Nong Nooch,I took the plunge three years ago and was very pleasantly surprised. The show, in particular, is very entertaining and has a really surprising coup de theatre that will knock your socks off if you're not expecting it.

The one that has always puzzled me is the Million Years Stone Park. Given that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and that stone age implements from 2 million years ago have been identified, I assume that the stones in my garden must be at least a million years old too. So why would I go to see the ones in Thailand? Perhaps someone who's been there can enlighten me...

christianpfc
November 15th, 2011, 23:37
I liked both of them (Nong Nooch Tropical Garden and the Million Years Stone Park) very much. They are worth a second visit. I need something to fill my days (or rather afternoons as I rarely get up before 10am on holidays).

Smiles, the Ancient City is on my list of things to visit, when I stay in Bangkok as it is closer. Thanks for the link, just checked: you can get there by public transport (cheap, cheap, cheap)!

Marsilius, I think the Million Years Stone Park is as impressive as Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, but a bit less know and advertised, it seems to me. I bet you don't have stones like they have in your garden. For example see here http://www.thaistonepark.org/garden_stone.html

There seem to be similar offers for the stone park (a quick check on the internet gave 650 Baht transport from Pattaya including entry by a travel agency).

I checked the Nong Nooch website (before I posted) and wondered why they provide pick up only twice per day?

Nong Nooch offers a twice daily pick-up service, including entry and shows from your hotel. Leaving 8:30am and 2:30pm. Make arrangements by phoning us, or with a local tourist information.
Time: 45 mins
Cost : 600THB

So best seems to book with a local travel agency. Definitely not by motorbike: I don't like motorbikes, I don't drive in Thailand, and this distance seems a bit to much to go on motorbike, especially on Sukhumvit road with a lot of other traffic.

ceejay
November 16th, 2011, 01:10
I checked the Nong Nooch website (before I posted) and wondered why they provide pick up only twice per day?
I believe that's to coincide with the shows they put on. The 600 baht includes entry to these.

The one that has always puzzled me is the Million Years Stone Park. Given that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and that stone age implements from 2 million years ago have been identified, I assume that the stones in my garden must be at least a million years old too. So why would I go to see the ones in Thailand? Perhaps someone who's been there can enlighten me...
The park itself is a collection of stones that have been naturally shaped, set in a garden:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/2883602526_895571c066_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wgcman/2883602526/)
2190 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wgcman/2883602526/) by ceejay19N (http://www.flickr.com/people/wgcman/), on Flickr
But, there is also a crocodile farm with the usual show attached (keeper sticking his head in the crocodile's mouth etc.) which I guess is what most people go there for.

November 16th, 2011, 01:38
why bother with all the expence of going to the million years stone park??
just take a walk along jomptien gay beach anyday of the week .. and you will see plenty of old relics that have taken many years to take shape.. im sure if you add up the weight and age of them they will easily surpass a million years and a million stone ... 2 for the price of one .. enjoy and you can owe me a beer for the savings made :party

Smiles
November 16th, 2011, 10:18
So best seems to book with a local travel agency. Definitely not by motorbike: I don't like motorbikes, I don't drive in Thailand, and this distance seems a bit to much to go on motorbike, especially on Sukhumvit road with a lot of other traffic.
My old man would be quite honoured to drive all the way from Hua Hin to Pattaya; pick you up; set you down at Nong Nooch; drive out to nearby Silverlake Winery for a la-dee-da scrumptious lunch; then drive you back to Shitsville. But I'm guessing you'd flinch somewhat at the 5500 baht fee (I checked :blackeye: ).

But just in case, let us know: << suphot.tours@gmail.com >>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/car_driver.jpg

pong
November 16th, 2011, 15:20
[ a la-dee-da scrumptious lunch]
Der Chris, genau wie ich-he as well as me- like ''thook lae dee''= a very common and always much appreciated Thai expression telling: cheap and good!
Which is not the case for both there in HaadYai now, I sadly have to conclude. Flew here this morning from ChMai for less as half that quoted price.

NickysGayPattaya
November 16th, 2011, 16:31
You could always pedal cycle there ... I regularly bike the 25 km from Pattaya down Sukhumvit to that area and have never had a problem. The fear most farangs have of Sukhumvit is that when they go on motorbikes they travel too fast and become unstable. Slow down a bit and it's not a bad road. Especially when you get more than 10 km out of Pattaya.

As for the pedal bike, it's great exercise, passes time nicely and (if you pick the route right) you can get there seeing some of the countryside. By combining the routes I've coloured in, you can get to Nong Nooch with only a minimal amount of travel on the "dreaded" Sukhumvit. Million Year Park at a mere 10 km takes about 30 minutes cycling. All the ones to the South, 20 - 25 km I do in between 60 and 75 minutes.

You might like to look at my Google bike map ... (ignore the timings on it please)

N

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206471242509881192103.0004b02934527d381f3f 8&msa=0

Oh and BTW before you go off on one about young lads, my farang comes with me and he's 55 and not all that fit.

christianpfc
November 16th, 2011, 23:46
Well, I didn't consider biking there, but actually I like travelling by bike so this is a great suggestion! The distance is reasonable, and if there are ways to get there avoiding strongly frequented roads, all I need is a bike (or better two, so I can go with a friend) and a map or directions (I don't own a GPS).

Where can I rent bikes in Pattaya?
Can the average Thai boy ride a bike?

[ a la-dee-da scrumptious lunch]
Der Chris, genau wie ich-he as well as me- like ''thook lae dee''= a very common and always much appreciated Thai expression telling: cheap and good!
Which is not the case for both there in HaadYai now, I sadly have to conclude. Flew here this morning from ChMai for less as half that quoted price.
Never heard or read (or at least I don't remember) this expression. How do you write it in Thai? Is it р╕Цр╕╣р╕Бр╣Бр╕ер╣Йр╕з р╕Фр╕╡ ?

My old man would be quite honoured to drive all the way from Hua Hin to Pattaya; pick you up; set you down at Nong Nooch; drive out to nearby Silverlake Winery for a la-dee-da scrumptious lunch; then drive you back to Shitsville. But I'm guessing you'd flinch somewhat at the 5500 baht fee (I checked :blackeye: ).

The most important word in the headline is "cheaply". (Which is no judgement about Suphot's service, I want to say that it's too much to have him come from Hua Hin.)

francois
November 18th, 2011, 03:54
Can the average Thai boy ride a bike?
The most important word in the headline is "cheaply". )

Christian, do you value your life so cheaply that you would ride a bicycle? If you are afraid of a motorbike, why then a bicycle on roads in Pattaya?

A Thai boy ride a bike? The will not even walk any distance.

cameroncat
November 18th, 2011, 04:39
I remember some years back asking the front desk clerk at The Poseidon what the best way was to get to Nong Nooch. He handed me the keys to his motorbike and said "go ahead, it's not far". Riding on the back of that motorbike (being driven by the young Thai guy I was dating at the time) seemed like the longest, most uncomfortable ride of my life! LOL

christianpfc
November 18th, 2011, 22:47
Christian, do you value your life so cheaply that you would ride a bicycle? If you are afraid of a motorbike, why then a bicycle on roads in Pattaya?
Of course I want to ride by bike on a street with little or no traffic (under these conditions, I would travel by motorbike as well). The difference is that I like biking, but not riding a motorcylce. In this case, it's not the money, I just like to be out in nature with no noise from combustion engines. However it's too far for walking (well, in nice scenery I would walk one way and drive back).