PDA

View Full Version : When you speak... it like a baaaby!

Beachlover
November 11th, 2011, 03:37
This made me laugh. I keep smiling when I think of this... Has anyone heard this line before?

One of my Thai friends was trying to teach me a few words of Thai the other day and he kept giggling every time I tried to pronounce words...

"Hi hi hi... you speak like a BABY! When you speak Thai... it sound like a BAAABY! Same when I speak English it like a BAAAAABY! When Thai people speak English it sound like a Baaaaaby!" :hah:

I don't know... it was just a hilarious conversation. One of those funny, charming things you get out of Thai guys.

I guess when we try to speak Thai, it's like when they first try to speak English and the "Tinglish" accent is still strong so we sound... like a baaaaby! LOL

:party

Rush, Yet Again
November 11th, 2011, 07:19
No worries Beach. IтАЩm sure it wasnтАЩt just your Thai pronunciation he was speaking of.

christianpfc
November 11th, 2011, 22:55
No, so far no complaints about my Thai. Apart from two friends (one said "Why do you want to learn Thai? Not good!" and the other doesn't like when I speak Thai - for whichever reason) only positive reactions.

November 12th, 2011, 00:09
No, so far no complaints about my Thai. Apart from two friends (one said "Why do you want to learn Thai? Not good!" and the other doesn't like when I speak Thai - for whichever reason) only positive reactions.

i guess 'i give you only half' sounds just as bad in thai as it does in english.
keep em begging :occasion9:

jinks
November 12th, 2011, 00:46
I know enough Thai to be accepted in every bar, hotel, sauna etc etc...

Dollars, Pounds , Euros , and even Baht.

November 12th, 2011, 00:57
I know enough Thai to be accepted in every bar, hotel, sauna etc etc...

Dollars, Pounds , Euros , and even Baht.
is that why you go to thailand jinks .. as no one outside of birmingham in the u.k. can understand a word you say :dontknow: :occasion9:

Beachlover
November 18th, 2011, 22:34
He was more teasing than complaining. He loves hearing me try to speak a few words of Thai... it gives him the giggles. :rolling:

I thought it was hilarious. He was making fun of my Thai pronunciation while acknowledging that his own pronunciation of English must sound the same to me as my Thai sounds to him! What wonderful self awareness...