PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Flooding on Tourism

SlaveDriver
November 10th, 2011, 06:54
Hello Everyone ! Are you there

I am sure the flooding and the consequent fallouts have stunned everyone and all have gone silent on this forum.

How is the tourist industry doing folks?

How much the floods have affected the industry?

How much the Eurozone financial crisis is affecting the industry?. When the American and British tourist stooped coming, the European Tourist came in numbers to off-set the dowturn. Now with Euro in trouble how is that affecting the gay market?

How much both these factors are affecting the high seasin expectations and how the Bars/Guys are doing.

Any strategic moves to counter the ill effects?

Are you keeping the guys warm and fed. Take care of the cuties, we need them hen the times are good. :party

cameroncat
November 10th, 2011, 08:54
I'm sure it's going to affect the high season. I know I am one that is ticketed to arrive in BKK on Dec 10th. I will have to make a go or no go decision very soon. With reports that the flooding of central Bangkok is inevitable and that the flood waters are only 7km from the airport, plus lack of things like bottled water, I am watching the situation closely.

adman5000
November 10th, 2011, 09:57
I am also following the situation closely. I am scheduled to arrive at end of November and may delay my trip by a month. Although I will spend most of my time outside Bangkok, difficulties there will create difficulties to get to where I want to go. Also, I am concerned about being enclosed within the tourist areas and possibly not being able to get to adjacent areas.

It is sad to see such a lack of definitive coordinated information from the media and government. Zero information on the Royal Thai Embassy website, TAT "update" now one month old, and it seems like anyone with something to say can be considered an expert on Thaivisa. The Thai Travel News website seems to have the most useful information. It had a TAT update today which I couldn't find on the TATnews website. It contained some useful info but then said "Given the rapidly changing nature of the flooding situation in Bangkok, visitors should also check multiple sources of information to make an informed decision about whether they should visit central Bangkok at the present time." I find conflicting information such as claims Chinatown is OK, but then pictures of flooding there, comments that Saphan Kwai is fine, but comments that water is beginning to reach there, and comments that heading south to Hua Hin, etc is fine, but comments that the main link to there is in danger of being flooded and could be for one month. :dontknow:

I am sure if I was already there in Pattaya, I wouldn't care. Perhaps if I can mentally discount the media hype of bottled water shortages, snakes, alligators, dengue fever, cholera, typhoid, leptospirosis, tons of rotting garbage, bubbling sewers, empty shelves, and the possible resulting political unrest from people and businesses being flooded out, I might still decide to make that 20 hour flight. :occasion5:

pong
November 10th, 2011, 10:20
here ChMai-pretty busy, esp. a lot of mainland Chinese-quite funny people.
There just was a TAT-review that the Brits are still coming in droves-and said to be the best spending customers-with till late sept nearly as mcuh as in whole of 2010. As always: there MAY/will be a significant difference between normal and gay tourists-reflecting their fears and anxieties. (about 3 times more Brits as US-which effectively means nearly 15 times more in %)

goteed1
November 10th, 2011, 10:33
I'm in the same boat. My first trip to BKk in a couple of weeks and now I'm thinking of going to Chiang Mai or Pattaya, but I really wanted to spend that time in Bangkok. I have a week in Seam Riep planned as well. I can't move the trip, so I have to go somewhere at that time.

martin911
November 10th, 2011, 15:00
I'm sure it's going to affect the high season. I know I am one that is ticketed to arrive in BKK on Dec 10th. I will have to make a go or no go decision very soon. With reports that the flooding of central Bangkok is inevitable and that the flood waters are only 7km from the airport, plus lack of things like bottled water, I am watching the situation closely.

Lol you really seem to be concerned over the bottled water thinghy are you not (other posts also ) ---let me tell you a little secret ------------ none of us here living in pattaya /bangkok are actually getting dehydrated !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a man or a mouse ------ treat your upcoming visit as an adventure , so what if it takes mabye a little longer to get to pattaya by taxi (it actually doesnt ,im just making a point )---- i for one when i was in Bkk last week actually went LOOKING for the flood waters

Im not trying to be too flippant about the floods --my heart goes out to the Thai people here ,some are really suffering ,i sat last nite with 2 thai boys going through all the many photos of the floods on internet sites and watched as one big soft lad had the tears running his cheeks as he saw pictures of his hometown indunated with the waters -- Sukhothai --( i will do my very best today to ensure he enjoys the LOY Krathtrong celebrations )

We have a mutual friend called Nook who lives there -she has a hair salon ,but its down beside the river ,so she has been severely affected ---but her spirit is amazing --her and whoever is available got stuck in ,and im getting daily photos of how the repairs are doing ,and in most of them she and whoever is there are smiling/laughing as they get on with the business of rebuilding her workplace !!!!!!!! The Thai spirit is amazing in face of the terribile adversity that they are facing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can understand your concerns of most who want to visit ------------but its so damm normal here right now !!!!!!!!!!!! i would implore anybody not to book elsewhere --Thailand and the boys/your friends that you know here need people to come ,and not to be bloody scared of a precieved lack of BOTTLED WATER etc etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anonone
November 10th, 2011, 16:26
Hi Martin.
Thanks for the post. I am due to arrive in a couple weeks. The only thing that would keep me away is if the airline actually cancelled the flight. :glasses7:

Just out of curiosity, how are things in Pattaya regarding tourists, both gay and otherwise? I read many news stories last week that Thais were heading to Pattaya in droves to escape Bangkok for awhile. Is there a noticeable difference in traffic, restaurants, beach, etc?

Do the clubs and bars seem quiet? More busy?

Anyone actually in Pattaya now want to chime in with an update beyond if there is bottled water on the shelf? You would be doing a good deed for those of us stuck away from the party (for now).

RichLB
November 10th, 2011, 17:25
anonone asked about how things are going in Pattaya. Other than an mass influx of Bangkok folk, things are pretty normal here. No problem getting bottled water or any other items in the stores - there was at first, but supplies have resumed. Restaurants are crowded and making reservations is a good idea as it has always been during high season. I haven't noticed any more Brits than usual, but the Russians are sure here in force. The only negative I can mention is the horrendous traffic. With all the Bangkokians here with cars, roads are extra heavily travelled and there are traffic jams. But, if you are visiting, just climb in a baht bus and enjoy the passing scene.

Khor tose
November 10th, 2011, 17:31
I'm in the same boat. My first trip to BKk in a couple of weeks and now I'm thinking of going to Chiang Mai or Pattaya, but I really wanted to spend that time in Bangkok. I have a week in Seam Riep planned as well. I can't move the trip, so I have to go somewhere at that time.

As Pong said things are very busy in Chiang mai. Many guest houses are already booked with people who have fled Bangkok, et al. However, Chiang mai is a fun place with plenty of boys, just make sure you have a room before you get here. The boys are here and available, just harder to find then going to a go-go, and if you get tired of boys, then there are a 100 things to do in and around this city.

fedssocr
November 10th, 2011, 23:01
I just arrived. I have NEVER seen BKK so dead. Zero lines at immigration at about 9:15 when I arrived from PEK. Very few people in the airport at all. Found my driver for the trip down to Pattaya very easily. The trip down here took the usual 1:15-1:30. There does seem to be a good bit of traffic here though. Now I need some sleep and I guess I will see what's happening around town

Manforallseasons
November 11th, 2011, 01:23

Chiang Mai and Pattaya are business as usual. A week in Siam Reap, you are brave, there is fuck all to do there except counting rocks. The one gay bar named Linga is finished.......if you can, go to Phenom Phen, bar name Blue Chilli and cruse the park down the street!

martin911
November 12th, 2011, 14:17
Hi Martin.
Thanks for the post. I am due to arrive in a couple weeks. The only thing that would keep me away is if the airline actually cancelled the flight. :glasses7:

Just out of curiosity, how are things in Pattaya regarding tourists, both gay and otherwise? I read many news stories last week that Thais were heading to Pattaya in droves to escape Bangkok for awhile. Is there a noticeable difference in traffic, restaurants, beach, etc?

Anyone actually in Pattaya now want to chime in with an update beyond if there is bottled water on the shelf? You would be doing a good deed for those of us stuck away from the party (for now).

I dont drive here a lot so cannot comment on the traffic so much --but Bkk to pattaya is normal time ,
I dont go to bars (go go ) a lot so cannot comment on the gogo bars so much and report - but il make an effort to spend 2 hours tonite to check out for u !!
Resturants --cannot see any great change one way or the other --

I DO go to the clubs a lot so can comment --Yes they seem busier than normal esp during the weekdays ,lot of farang in Nab/Dave

Shops are back to normal more or less except for the fact that there are no Rice Krispies available -- i will monitor the situation closely and report back to the guys out there that mabye are thinking about postponing their Thailand visit due to the Rice K shortages across the counrty !!

Pattaya seems normal --- the beaches at Jomtiem on thur nite (for Loy Krathrong) were a hive of activity -- families/friends/couplies releasing the lanterns into the sky,and the Kathrongs into the water -- its a really beautiful sight to see ,the stream of lanterns rising upwards into the nite ,and if your with somebody thats special to you its then it makes it 10 times better --two people holding on to the lantern, the shy look from him -waiting until it fills up before releasing into the nite sky --- not a bad place to be for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bangkok seems normal (in the places that most posters would frequent) ,dont know about the bars ,but u will als find somebody if you look hard enough !!

anonone
November 12th, 2011, 15:55
Hi Martin.

I dont drive here a lot so cannot comment on the traffic so much --but Bkk to pattaya is normal time ,
I dont go to bars (go go ) a lot so cannot comment on the gogo bars so much and report - but il make an effort to spend 2 hours tonite to check out for u !!
Resturants --cannot see any great change one way or the other --

I DO go to the clubs a lot so can comment --Yes they seem busier than normal esp during the weekdays ,lot of farang in Nab/Dave

Shops are back to normal more or less except for the fact that there are no Rice Krispies available -- i will monitor the situation closely and report back to the guys out there that mabye are thinking about postponing their Thailand visit due to the Rice K shortages across the counrty !!

Pattaya seems normal --- the beaches at Jomtiem on thur nite (for Loy Krathrong) were a hive of activity -- families/friends/couplies releasing the lanterns into the sky,and the Kathrongs into the water -- its a really beautiful sight to see ,the stream of lanterns rising upwards into the nite ,and if your with somebody thats special to you its then it makes it 10 times better --two people holding on to the lantern, the shy look from him -waiting until it fills up before releasing into the nite sky --- not a bad place to be for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bangkok seems normal (in the places that most posters would frequent) ,dont know about the bars ,but u will als find somebody if you look hard enough !!

Thanks again Martin. I just wanted to get a feel for any differences with the reports of everyone fleeing Bangkok for my little home by the sea.

Please don't feel pressured to spend hours in a gogo bar for my benefit. I would hate to be the reason you have to suffer that :sign5:

Less than 2 weeks now and I can see for myself. :thumbup:

fedssocr
November 12th, 2011, 22:29
The word I got today from Bangkok is that the usual haunts around Silom are fine but that the tap water smells bad. And according to the paper it looks like those part of town are likely safe. So, if you are not coming for a couple of weeks you should be fine.

It is funny that Pattaya has turned into such a Russian family destination. What happened to Sin City? Maybe the Russians just have a higher tolerance for sin than moralistic Americans.

anonone
November 13th, 2011, 00:18
The word I got today from Bangkok is that the usual haunts around Silom are fine but that the tap water smells bad. And according to the paper it looks like those part of town are likely safe. So, if you are not coming for a couple of weeks you should be fine.

It is funny that Pattaya has turned into such a Russian family destination. What happened to Sin City? Maybe the Russians just have a higher tolerance for sin than moralistic Americans.

Thanks for the update. I for one am not worried about visiting...there is not much that will keep me away, and that includes some flooding. I do feel for the millions of Thai having to live through this. Hopefully my Baht can do some good.

Thankfully, I have very few friends that are impacted. They all either live in the South, or in a spared area of Isan.

November 13th, 2011, 06:15

It is funny that Pattaya has turned into such a Russian family destination. What happened to Sin City? Maybe the Russians just have a higher tolerance for sin than moralistic Americans.Pattaya is run by the russian mafia now isnt it?

adman5000
November 13th, 2011, 08:39
Has anyone been to either the Saphan Kwai area or Sukumvit area where Hero is located? Any flooding problems or access problems in either of those areas?

fedssocr
November 13th, 2011, 12:40
Pattaya is run by the russian mafia now isnt it?

I don't know about that. But there are plenty of families with kids wandering around. And I just saw a smoking hot Russian guy (early 20's, tall, blond crew cut, nice chest and abs) wandering along Beach Rd with a Thai girl that was hanging onto him as hard as she could.

Beachlover
November 18th, 2011, 22:24
You should ask around some local sources before cancelling on Bangkok. I think you'll be fine for Bangkok in 1-2 weeks' time as long as you don't plan to go visiting the suburbs or surrounding towns.

November 18th, 2011, 22:46
go somewhere other than bangkok for sure ... my first trip to thailand was 2 weeks in bangkok . i hated most of it .. im from london and it was just like being in london except other than hearing only polish and african it was thai that was spoken !!! so me it was 2 weeks to long.
now when i go i spend 3 days in bangkok then go elsewhere ... which so far has mainly been pattaya ..
then back to bangkok for the last 2 days of my holiday ..
i really dont get the point of bangkok to tell the truth .. but if you like having to walk in the road.. spending all day trying to get past people who tend to stop for no good reason other than so you can smash em in the back ... love trying to cross roads when the traffic just never stops ( and dont for a minute think that pavements are just for pedestrians ) as people walk in the road so do motorbikes ride the pavements..
and last but not least (that i can think of anyway tho im sure many others know far more reasons) you will spend more for a beer in bangkok that in most western capitals..
as im sure you can tell i dont like crowds ... even going to the local supermarket gives me the hump :evil4:

yorkboy691
November 20th, 2011, 15:26
how are the supply shortages now? is there bottled beer again in the bars of pattaya? tonic water?

lukylok
November 22nd, 2011, 09:32
how are the supply shortages now? is there bottled beer again in the bars of pattaya? tonic water?

Everything seems ok. You sometimes have to make a choice in your brand of beer, as Singha is not available everywhere, or in can. Prices are on the increase, though !

goteed1
November 23rd, 2011, 07:54

Looks like all is well and I will finally be in BKK tomorrow doing my part to support the locals. Then just 4 days in Siem Riep.

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2011, 12:36
go somewhere other than bangkok for sure ... my first trip to thailand was 2 weeks in bangkok . i hated most of it .. im from london and it was just like being in london except other than hearing only polish and african it was thai that was spoken !!! so me it was 2 weeks to long.
now when i go i spend 3 days in bangkok then go elsewhere ... which so far has mainly been pattaya ..
i really dont get the point of bangkok to tell the truth .. but if you like having to walk in the road.. spending all day trying to get past people who tend to stop for no good reason other than so you can smash em in the back ... love trying to cross roads when the traffic just never stops ( and dont for a minute think that pavements are just for pedestrians ) as people walk in the road so do motorbikes ride the pavements..
and last but not least (that i can think of anyway tho im sure many others know far more reasons) you will spend more for a beer in bangkok that in most western capitals..
as im sure you can tell i dont like crowds ... even going to the local supermarket gives me the hump :evil4:
I think you're just not the big city type... My experience of Bangkok is nothing like that. I love it! Bangkok is one of the world's greatest cities.

jimnbkk
December 3rd, 2011, 23:50
I just left Thailand this last week. As reported above, the flooding doesn't affect the areas of central Bangkok. The gay areas where bars like Telephone are located is dry, although looking at the monstrous piles of sandbags in front of most building would make you think the place going to flood any minute. Apparently not. It's business as usual. Flying out on Monday morning I could see the vast areas north of the city that were flooded. It looks like a big lake with some small islands on it. It's going to be a while before this is all back to normal.

Pattaya only floods when it rains really hard, which now that the rainy season has past is unlikely. The roads between Bangkok and Pattaya are normal.

The only strange thing I've seen is that, given the drop in tourism because of the floods, you'd think the Thai government would ease off a bit on the visa fees. Not so. They actually raised them! Now it's $40 for a 90 day tourist visa, and another $40 for an additional entry. TIT

December 4th, 2011, 19:32
I think you're just not the big city type... My experience of Bangkok is nothing like that. I love it! Bangkok is one of the world's greatest cities.
but not according to your other posts on a different thread !!! where it doesnt even compair to some of the cities in oz .. doh
indeed im not a big city person .. i spend most days driving around london .. as with most major cities its just the same .. to big to many people ... to many beggers .. to many ........... the list is endless .. but at the end of the day its a shite hole imho of course