PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok bottled water availability?

cameroncat
November 8th, 2011, 23:37
My Thai friend who lives in the North Sukhumvit area says he's about out of drinking water and there is no bottled water to be found except for small bottles of Mineral water at 39 baht each. He's mostly drinking juice or tea which is still available. For those of you in Bangkok, are you finding a similar situation? I'm due to arrive in BKK in 4 weeks. Availability of Drinking water and other supplies maybe a bigger concern than the floods itself.

martin911
November 9th, 2011, 00:04
I can only comment on what i saw last week in Silom area in bkk

Its kinda Strange -- one
7-11 would seem to be fully stocked with most stuff (although early in the mornings water was availale,later in the day most places were ran out !! ) and if you went into another 7-11 a few yards down the road it might be full of empty shelves --mabye a different franchise owner or something !!

here in Pattaya it seems to be normal -- i was in foodmarket jomtien today and it was more or less normal ---

Hmm i just realised im talking about bottled water shortages at 1 am in pattaya --- think its time for me to be taken away to my natural home from home GBthai where they seem to have ran up 10 pages on such a subject !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loke
November 9th, 2011, 05:06
A friend of mine in Bangkok tell me that the water machines are working , its filtrated water and should be perfectly safe to drink, at least in the dry areas. I think 6 baht for 5 litre .

So even if the shops are empty , try bring your own bottle and use the machine.

corky
November 9th, 2011, 06:02
My observations are that you should not bother with the 7/11's. Their supply system has completely broken down for almost every item. My local 7/11 has no water, bread, eggs, potato crisps, peanuts etc.etc. But it still has 6 different brands of skin whitening cream :8(

If you look in the supermarkets Foodland is far and away the best at resupplying its shelves. The branches in Sukhumvit Soi 5 and in Patpong have near full shelves for most items. I bought some Aura water (bottled by Tipco in Chiang Mai) there last weekend (17 Baht for 1.5 litres) but they were rationing it to 1 bottle per customer per visit. Today they had no local water but there was Evian water at 28 Baht, Perrier at 49 Baht and Volvic at 55 Baht, if you want the expensive imports.

Most bars and DJ station still have small bottles of water but it's at the bar price and I have seen many Silom and Suriwong street food vendors with packs of bottled water selling at their stalls for around 10 Baht per bottle.

The water machines that filter the tap water are still operating and my apartment still has drinkable tap water according to my neighbours. I am still using the big 18 litre bottles that used to get delivered weekly and have a stock of 4 of those in the kitchen from the last delivery that was 2 weeks ago. As they get emptied I am filling them with boiled tap water for as long as it smells and looks OK.

Brisboy82
November 10th, 2011, 09:07
On a more serious note I heard that beer shortages are on the way!

November 10th, 2011, 10:39
On the way??? On the way???!!!
Where have you been? They have been here for a little over two weeks!!
You cant find tonic water for gin and tonic, bottled water is not easy, Heineken is basically in a can if you can find it, Singha is gone, and mom and pop distributors have been charging the bars that are still willing to buy it 100% PROFIT over and above!!

Brisboy82
November 10th, 2011, 11:32
You cant find tonic water for gin and tonic, bottled water is not easy, Heineken is basically in a can if you can find it, Singha is gone, and mom and pop distributors have been charging the bars that are still willing to buy it 100% PROFIT over and above!!

Wow it's worse than I thought! I will be there in a few weeks. How long is this shortage going to persist??

November 10th, 2011, 14:00
When the water goes away and they can clean it all up and start bottling and shipping again.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

martin911
November 10th, 2011, 15:07

NOW NOW --none of us is dying of thirst Justme ----------- ive gotten well drunk both nights ive been out this week !!!!-----

November 10th, 2011, 15:29
Yes Martin you can still get drunk but I was telling the man the problems the bars have which I am quite sure you are aware of. Common now is Heineken in a can rather than bottle and those supplies are low.
I have gone to at least 6 different liquor distributors for soda water, tonic water, Sinha, Heineken, gin, and half a dozen other things. Have you gone to the supermarkets? Well I have. Thats how bad it was that many of us had to purchase RETAIL in order to get supplies for our customers! You cant get 85% of the beers in Foodland, Villa Market or elsewhere cause it isnt there!
I still have hopes that the supply chain will open up before it affects Happy Place as we have gone to extreme measures to stock up and get as many supplies as possible.
Yes, you can still get drunk. Get drunk on your favorite items may not be easy as of this week as the bars just cant get it.

November 12th, 2011, 00:33
how the hell can anyone get drunk on heineken .. id rather drink cats piss .. it tastes far better ..
heineken probably the worst lager in the world