PDA

View Full Version : cambodia spending money

aot871
November 3rd, 2011, 15:58
I will shortly be heading off for my first trip to cambodia, , i know its hard to say , but how much spending money do you think i should take , 1 week siem reap and 4 nights in pp, As im taking US dollars what is the highest denomanation , i should take

cottmann
November 3rd, 2011, 18:53
I am heading for Cambodia for 2 weeks in January/February. I am prepaying as much as I can (hotel, trips, guides, etc) and taking about $US 2000 in cash as spending/mad money as I never know what temptations I might face. Highest denominations are not my concern - having been to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap twice, I'm more concerned with taking a significant amount of my cash (about half) in small denominations - $1, $5, $10 and $20 - as I do not want to receive a large quantity of Cambodian riels in small change. The remainder I'm taking in $100s for large expenditures and emergencies that I don't want to/can't put on my credit card. Of course, I'm also taking precautions while traveling to split my cash between a belt pouch and neck pouch under my outer clothing, and just keep in my wallet what I need for that day. I've not had any problem with pickpockets anywhere before but, like many places, as the number of tourists increases, so does the temptations that the locals face.

November 3rd, 2011, 19:55
I am heading for Cambodia for 2 weeks in January/February. I am prepaying as much as I can (hotel, trips, guides, etc) and taking about $US 2000 in cash as spending/mad money as I never know what temptations I might face. Highest denominations are not my concern - having been to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap twice, I'm more concerned with taking a significant amount of my cash (about half) in small denominations - $1, $5, $10 and $20 - as I do not want to receive a large quantity of Cambodian riels in small change. The remainder I'm taking in $100s for large expenditures and emergencies that I don't want to/can't put on my credit card. Of course, I'm also taking precautions while traveling to split my cash between a belt pouch and neck pouch under my outer clothing, and just keep in my wallet what I need for that day. I've not had any problem with pickpockets anywhere before but, like many places, as the number of tourists increases, so does the temptations that the locals face.

Hi,

Both just watch yourselves with any loose hanging valuables such as camcorders and mobile phones etc. as these are prime targets for drive by thefts in Phnom Penn.

Siem Reap is considerably better in the theft department. At roadside cafes don't sit in the seats nearest the pavement as this again, is a magnet for thefts from the speedy kids and a great opportunity for the beggars.

Try not to give to beggars as they move in for the soft touch. A number of younger Cambodians and disabled guys caused mostly from landmines sell bits and bats instead of begging such as books and postcards, I had no objection to giving to them.

Both Siem Reap and P.P. are considerably cheaper than Thailand for just about everything and that includes food and drink.

cottmann
November 4th, 2011, 05:42
[quote="kquill Hi, Both just watch yourselves with any loose hanging valuables such as camcorders and mobile phones etc. as these are prime targets for drive by thefts in Phnom Penn. ....Both Siem Reap and P.P. are considerably cheaper than Thailand for just about everything and that includes food and drink.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I don't have either a camcorder or a mobile phone but will guard my other 'hanging valuables' carefully!

Your last sentence sums up my reason for choosing Cambodia over Thailand for my upcoming vacation, by the way. Thailand was fun 20-30 years ago but now it's definitely not.

November 4th, 2011, 07:05
Hi cottman,

Yeah, I don't want guys getting paranoid about visiting a truly great place, they just need to take their wits with them. Also guys, feel free to dress down in Cambodia but not sloppy. I found I was mostly overdressed on an evening wherever I went. I won't do that again and I took too much clothing with me.

Nice shirt and shorts seems to be acceptable in most places ( not beachwear of course)

USD dollars welcome everywhere. Siem Reap guys, please read my previous posts and visit the National museum and get earphones with a running commentary BEFORE you visit Angkor Wat and your understanding will be much improved and the quality of the experience gained.

S21 in P.P. not for the faint hearted or easily upset!!

Don't let the air conditioned taxis con you into a day trip to S21 or the killing fields, it's not necessary or that far out at all, you can use local transport (taxis) at a third or quarter of the cost. as they are only trying to get commissions by taking you to markets after!!

Siem Reap, you will be eating great food, whatever your taste, in cafe bars that leave many places in Thailand standing still at a fraction of the cost. English is widely spoken even by children!

I am looking at things in Lao right now but will be there mid November again.

These are adequate transportation for S21 etc.

lonelywombat
November 4th, 2011, 08:34
The ATM's in Cambodia payout in US$, and if you do your withdrawal from a bank ATM, it is quite simple to change large {$100] notes to small notes. I never had trouble changing large notes. Just remember that Cambodia do not have coins and for change less than a dollar, you will get local currency, which does come in handy.

There is an unwillingness to handle US$100 and unless they are in bank condition you might have a problem.

The use of credit cards in bars and small restaurants is easier than in Thailand.

If you have not booked your flights, check the routes offered by Thai Airways and Cambodia Air.

cottmann
November 4th, 2011, 14:42
Thanks for the information on clothing, kquill - I will reconsider what I had thought to bring.
Thanks, lonelywombat, for the information on US $100 bills - I'll need to make sure to get smaller denominations, I think.

With regard to S21 and the killing fields, I visited both on an earlier visit, partly in homage to a very nice Cambodian whom I knew as a student and who, as a foreign-educated academic, perished under the Pol Pot regime, and partly out of curiosity. S21 is on a par of horror with Dachau and Auschwitz, I think. The photos of the small children are particularly poignant The killing fields, I read somewhere, have been turned over to a Japanese concession to run, and the displayed bones and skulls violate Buddhist need to respectfully cremate the dead. Visit once for the experience and as a reminder of the potential for humanity to be totally vicious if and when it can!

November 5th, 2011, 07:25
Hi cottman,

I actually heard the japanese had got involved too but heard it was on a financial help basis and due to their involvement the killing fields had been ' sanitized ' because of their concerns and queasiness about a number of things. I don't know if they have a concession or anything.

The Country has been Buddhist a long time but under Pol Pot the monks were defrocked anbd put to work or murdered. He classed them as vermin and called them leeches for living on charity. If that were the case, why did they keep the skulls of their victims at all?? I mean they used to just throw them in a pit and pour acid etc over them to speed up the decomposition. One would of thought they would have burnt them all in the Buddhist tradition, but there was no logic to that regime at all.

In the books I have read that reasoning seems to have been left out.

pong
November 5th, 2011, 09:32
Hi cottman,
, but there was no logic to that regime at all.
on the side-but as i (had to) lived in BKk last year during the red demo's near Sapan Fah-the later in the eve, the more those endless speeches from old communist-educated rebellion leaders sounded like those Khmer red frases. And I know those quite well as I once worked in Aran near site 8 for Khmer refugees at the time.

November 5th, 2011, 12:39
You mean Taksin is a communist pong?

goji
November 5th, 2011, 18:17
how much spending money do you think i should take

The big question is what's an appropriate sum to allow for evening entertainment these days? I remember less than $10 for a few drinks and $20~30 for his tip? Plus a couple of $ for transport each way. Is this still good?

Beachlover
November 11th, 2011, 03:31
Woohoo! So cool to see MENS Resort in Siem Reap has become an advertiser and put banner ads on this site. Good on them! Go PaulCombo (or whoever the owner is)!

Are they the first INTERNATIONAL advertiser on SGF, DaBoss? Well done! Get more! Other countries in Asia!

Aot871...

1. Try to bring smaller denominations of USD, $1, $10 and $20s because larger $50 and $100 notes can only be changed at larger businesses like hotels and larger bars.

2. If a $100 note isn't in pristine condition, don't bother taking it. They won't accept it.

3. I budgeted $30-$40/day for just food, drinks and getting around, which was more than enough. You can make do with as little as $5-$10/day if need be.