PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Mai - q u i e t longtime accomodation

kuku-old
October 30th, 2011, 22:47
Hello, searching for a longtime accomodation in Chiang Mai, as from Nov. 25th until Mid-January. Here 60 year old, honest, athletic, calm looking for a v e r y q u i e t accomodation, neither pushy nor noisy. Thanks in advance for any tips, descriptions and recommendations. Have a great day. Kuku

October 31st, 2011, 00:45
I stayed in Chiang Mia for about a month and a half. The Viangbuamansion was right on the money, you can see the reviews on this property at tripadvisor.com. It has a small kitchen, with or without stove, good TV, free wifi, I found the bed pretty hard but they will bring you a foam cover for the mattress, it was then just to my liking, lots of long term straight and some gay people living there. I would highly suggest the following for you to look at. It is located within a 5 minute walk of a huge market area, there are a few gay bars in the vicinity, it is not in the middle of the gay scene, and right across the street is a restaurant called "The Spirit House" it is owned by a gay American, serves great Western and Thai foods, many expats go there. Here is a direct link to their web site. I rented a mall motor scooter to get around on, and had a great time.

http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/

Manforallseasons
October 31st, 2011, 14:08
I stayed in Chiang Mia for about a month and a half. The Viangbuamansion was right on the money, you can see the reviews on this property at tripadvisor.com. It has a small kitchen, with or without stove, good TV, free wifi, I found the bed pretty hard but they will bring you a foam cover for the mattress, it was then just to my liking, lots of long term straight and some gay people living there. I would highly suggest the following for you to look at. It is located within a 5 minute walk of a huge market area, there are a few gay bars in the vicinity, it is not in the middle of the gay scene, and right across the street is a restaurant called "The Spirit House" it is owned by a gay American, serves great Western and Thai foods, many expats go there. Here is a direct link to their web site. I rented a mall motor scooter to get around on, and had a great time.

http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/

I too stayed here about 2 years ago for a month, I had a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen, reasonably proceed. It is very quiet, though you are in walking distance of the gay Lotus hotel and bar as well as Adam apple go go, and 3 other boy go go bars.

BonTong
November 5th, 2011, 11:40
I too lived in Viangbua several years ago. I'ts O.K. though the beds are hard and it's expensive compared with similar places in that area, but if you're only staying a couple of months that shouldn't be a major concern. Staff are very friendly and it's well maintained. Not as quiet as it used to be; at busy times traffic in the street is now quite horrendous. Apart from the nearby bars, for eating coffee etc Garden bar at Lotus Hotel, Metro bar and Spirit House (not to mention Adam's Apple if you want other entertainment :8( ) the area is very Thai. Not many options for western food etc, if you want that.

It's hard to make recommendations as it depends what part of town you want to stay. Around the Night Bazaar and Thapae Gate has the highest concentration of tourist type bars and restaurants, but less condo type long stay places, though many guest houses have a monthly rate. The other area popular with foreigners is around Huay Kaew and Nimaanheminda Road areas; the later is full of trendy bars, coffee shops and restaurant and where the more hi-so Thais and students hang out. One place you might consider is the Dome Residence, off Huay Kaew Road (same soi as PJ's Place). That gets good reports and is a similar deal to Viangbua mansion.

Your best bet might be to stay in a hotel or guest house for a couple of days and check out the options for yourself. A quick google should throw up many possibilities to check out, there is a lot of serviced condo type accommodation in Chiang Mai so you'll have plenty of choice.