PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Food & Water shortages

Neal
October 26th, 2011, 11:36
Just returned from Villa Market.
Milk finished, large bottles of water gone and many rice absent from the shelves. There are tell tale signs of the problem everywhere you look inside the market. large empty shelves where goods once were.
Went to a large distributor of beer and whiskey who sells to me and he said that all beers are on a ration basis as there is nothing arriving except San Mig Light which is made here. Stopped 2 different trucks that deliver those big bottles of water to people and they said that they had no water to sell.

Please add to everything you see on this thread regarding food or gasoline shortages.

cdnmatt
October 26th, 2011, 17:34
Not sure if this has anything to do with the floods, but the shelves are quite empty of loads of different things in various grocery stores up here. Nothing drastic, but they seem to be out of a decent amount of items. Lots of empty shelf space at least. Supply lines have been cut due to the flooding, maybe?

Neal
October 26th, 2011, 18:08
Yes cdnmatt. Managers of various stores and supply houses have told me that due to the flooding the trucks cannot get through from either the distribution houses and or the factories. Most stores are empty of essentials like rice, fresh water, butter, sugar, eggs and milk. With the 5 day holiday that has been bestowed on Bangok, many people are headed to Pattaya not only to escape the flooding but to get away from the situation.
It might be assumed that many travellers will return home with supplies. Make sure you are well stocked.

bucknaway
October 26th, 2011, 19:03
I was at the Big C this morning and one of the Hibachi Restaurants had a sign up saying they were closed due to supply shortages caused by the flooding in Bangkok.

Here in Bangkok the 7/11 is out of Big Bottles of Coke but has a good supply of the can sodas. I imagine this is just the start of the shortages.

lexusgs
October 26th, 2011, 23:08
Went to Tops Daily on Thappraya Rd just now (11pm) . No water to be had along with notices stating that they are unsure when supply will return to normal. The Family Mart just along the road DID have water (6 pack large bottles). As DaBoss wisely advised it's time to start stocking up if you can.

christianpfc
October 27th, 2011, 01:35
Why don't you fill up empty bottles with water from machines for drinking water (I don't remember seeing them in Pattaya, but I used one in Bangkok, for 1 Baht per litre if I remember correctly)?

thrillbill
October 27th, 2011, 22:01
Yes, there are SOME shortages...the worse is water. People have stocked up on water (especially the ones going back to Pattaya) plus bought bottled water for flood victims so that has created a shortage in Pattaya. My Family Mart finally had bottled water in the fridge but it was imported from France!!! Yes, get your water from one of those filter water machines. The warehouses for Big C and Tesco are in some of the flooded areas so it will effect us. I am glad there is milk still available for my protein shakes !!

ultimo
October 28th, 2011, 00:49
Yes, there are SOME shortages...the worse is water. People have stocked up on water (especially the ones going back to Pattaya) plus bought bottled water for flood victims so that has created a shortage in Pattaya. My Family Mart finally had bottled water in the fridge but it was imported from France!!! Yes, get your water from one of those filter water machines. The warehouses for Big C and Tesco are in some of the flooded areas so it will effect us. I am glad there is milk still available for my protein shakes !!

Was at Big C in Sth Pattaya this afternoon and the outages seemed quite high. Typical .....no eggs ,bottled water, 'mamas' noodles( or other brands), no potato chips,Schweppes Soda Minou and Tonic Water,limited milk,orange juice and the list goes on. Very disappointing but more so for my other half that eats noodles and wants rice. Vegetables seemed to be in abundance but many imported.
Solution....Possibly eat out. The restaurateurs will find the ingredients for most things on there menus!! :glasses7:

October 28th, 2011, 01:41
this food shortage good be good news for the working guys .. if it goes on for long time ... some of the fat horried old farang could end up as skinny horried old farang .. as monty python said .. always look on the bright side of life !!! :party

colmx
October 28th, 2011, 07:01
this food shortage good be good news for the working guys .. if it goes on for long time ... some of the fat horried old farang could end up as skinny horried old farang ..
Might also help sort out some of the fat gogo boys... When i first came there in 2000 - it was rare to come across a tubby or fat gogo boy
Now its rare not to see them!

jvt22222
October 28th, 2011, 07:41
If folks run out of water sources, just be advised that there is a water vending machine in the lobby of View Talay #1 Building A and Building B ....... 1 baht per liter ...... sure it would not be a problem for outsiders to access it ........ of course, gotta bring your own containers.

October 28th, 2011, 10:43
Where is the Villa Market in Pattaya?

Nabaat
October 28th, 2011, 10:59
20 kms to sattahip...as much beer, rice , noodles, water etc as you want. Just come back loaded :happy7:

Neal
October 28th, 2011, 15:19
On Second Rd just a smidge past the McDonalds is a driveway into a large parking lot. They have a booth to give out tickets and have it stamped inside.
anyway at the rear of that parking lot are double glass doors and the entrance to Villa Market

cdnmatt
October 28th, 2011, 18:11
Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but today in town I noticed the Singha factory had a flatbed truck going in with about 6 palettes of bottled water on it. Then I looked, and the entire parking lot of the factory almost was covered with palette, after palette, after palette of bottled water. Not sure if they're stocking KK up, or just getting ready, and waiting for the word to rush all that supply down south.

October 28th, 2011, 19:00
My distributo told me that Heineken, Chang, San Mig are all being rationed out as you just cant get them in due to the floods.
Singha is made here in or near Pattaya and they alsoo produce Sigha water so I would think that maybe they are trying to make and distribute as much as possible to make up for the stock that wont be able to get here. Smart move on their part, make as much profit as you can in these next few weeks.

November 4th, 2011, 15:05
Villa Market has eggs, milk and several other things that have started to appear but still many more things are unavailable.

Neal
November 4th, 2011, 15:08
I believe everyone is now aware of the problems with food and water distribution and will unsticky this topic. If anyone has anything current to say it will appear back at the top. Thank you