PDA

View Full Version : Gay Burma

October 19th, 2011, 09:33
I hope this new forum will include details of the emerging gay community in Myanmar. This video supposedly is about gay pride but anything about gay tourism would be apptreciated
as we hope to visit in 20012

[youtube:1i1mkk5a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43Xh4RmllY[/youtube:1i1mkk5a]

Neal
October 19th, 2011, 09:48
What a wonderul U Tube clip and I am sure that the SGF membership will enjoy checking it out!

fedssocr
October 20th, 2011, 03:10
it looks like this happened in Thailand not Myanmar, right?

Apparently there really isn't much of a gay infrastructure like there is in Thailand for example. I am headed to Myanmar for a couple of weeks next month. Booked via Purple Dragon. www.purpledrag.com (http://www.purpledrag.com) So, go to Myanmar for the culture and the amazing historic sites. Don't go expecting a lot of gay things to do.

lonelywombat
October 20th, 2011, 05:39
There appears to be two tourist companies offering gay Tours to Burma[ Myanmar] The link in the post above did not work for me but this one does. They mentioned info contained in 4 blogs from 2008 and 2009.I am not sure how current the info is. Would certainly be interested in your details of where you are going and your trip report on return.

http://www.purpledrag.com/myanmar/index.htm

I received a PM overnight with details of a second travel group.
http://mandalaytravel.com/index.htm

If you scroll down near the bottom to tour ideas and designer holidays, it provides some great info.

As a young officer I was introduced to Burma having had to study Field Marshall Slim's book Defeat into Victory. Many of the places mentioned including the river cruises bring back hosts on memories. Fascinating and informative website.

October 21st, 2011, 03:10
We spent a month in Burma about a year ago.

If there was any gay life there, it eluded us completely. Nearest we got was one gay-friendly bar in Yangon.

Great place to visit but you should not expect to find any gay activity in terms of bars etc!

pong
October 21st, 2011, 17:46
Great place to visit but you should not expect to find any gay activity in terms of bars etc!
LOts and loads of gay activity-as one might expect in about any SOuth-est Asian rice-eating nation. But indeed as you say: not in the Thai commercial way. But moneyboys along the main hotels in RGN, a well known cruising spot in downtown RGN, encounters anywhere are all quite possible-but i think that a ''gay tourist group'' (heavens-who would even have that idea?) would be quite frigtening them away. Plus I assume Burma=Myanmar may have nearly the same monsoon-induced oversupply of rains and hence flooding in many areas-as is also the case for most of SEA-plus they have hardly any infra to protect them from the masses of water.

fedssocr
October 22nd, 2011, 05:46
Apparently they have not had the flooding problems as widespread as Thailand. There was a big flood that washed out a bridge in Pakkokku and killed a lot of people with many missing at the moment. I guess Mandalay has had a lot of water this year too.

I will be going to Yangon (in and out several times), Sittwe, Mrauk Oo, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake. I'll be there for two weeks.

fedssocr
December 13th, 2011, 21:40
just home now from my time in SE Asia. I enjoyed Myanmar very much. The infrastructure is shit, but given what has been happening there for the last 40+ years that is not a surprise. The people are quite friendly though. I was in some places that don't see a lot of Westerners so I had a lot of stares...plus I guess maybe I look a little weird. :-)

My guide in Yangon was a nice gay guy. He pointed out to me where the gay cruising area is in Yangon but I am not sure I could find it again. I believe he said it was something like 25th street on a square.

Not a whole lot of evidence of gay scene or anything. The guys are very affectionate with each other though which will throw off your gaydar. And the young men are stunningly handsome. They don't age real well though...I suppose all of that strong sun and difficult life will do that to you. I met some cute university students who were keen the talk to me and practice their English. The leader was flirting with me which was fun. It was too bad I had to leave to catch a flight as I would have enjoyed spending more time with them.

There are some really great sights to see. Bagan is incredible. I took the balloon ride there which was not cheap at $300, but money well spent to me. Inle Lake is quite interesting. It was quite chilly there overnight and in the morning.

I think there are big changes coming. Everyone mentioned that they are having a hard time handling the current tourist numbers though as there are not enough guides, cars and hotels. That was my experience for sure. I had one van I was riding in break down and a few other vehicles were on their last legs too. But the government is trying to get more newer vehicles into the country. But the season is apparently only about 4 months. If you are willing to go in the offseason I guess it will not be so bad. One of my guides mentioned that he is learning Spanish because tourists from Spain tend to visit in the summer months.

I saw lots of Germans, Italians and French people. Very few Americans. Some Brits. Some Russians.

If you do go, pack your patience. It was funny watching the Europeans expect everything to happen on time at the airports.

Brisboy82
January 7th, 2012, 10:25
I've met some really nice Burmese boys in Bangkok but I suspect they'd be harder to locate in Myanmar itself.

I am thinking about going to Myanmar
On my next trip but I'll
Be going to check out the culture there. I don't expect to find sex there. If I do find sex though I won't be complaining!

billyhouston
January 8th, 2012, 04:29
My guide in Yangon was a nice gay guy. He pointed out to me where the gay cruising area is in Yangon but I am not sure I could find it again. I believe he said it was something like 25th street on a square.

I think you may be referring to the 4-way overpass at the junction of Shwedagon Pagoda Road and Maha Bandoola Road... and the nearby bars.

fedssocr
January 8th, 2012, 04:48

I think you may be referring to the 4-way overpass at the junction of Shwedagon Pagoda Road and Maha Bandoola Road... and the nearby bars.

I don't think so. We were downtown/Chinatown and he said it was not far away from where we were. Nearby bars? Are there gay bars there?

billyhouston
January 9th, 2012, 03:39
I don't think so. We were downtown/Chinatown and he said it was not far away from where we were. Nearby bars? Are there gay bars there?

The overpass is between 24th and 25th Street on the eastern end of Chinatown.

pong
January 10th, 2012, 17:52
Yup=yes, thats it.
gay bars? in fact there are hardly any bars as such in the whole of B=M. Only the rich burocratic intelligentsia, rich by corruption, has access to a few-would you like to mingle with them?
I had success in beer halls, that also serve fairly decent food-not the Burmese chicken=bones or fish=grates type. They also do draught beer at 20/25 bt or so the pint- a few also have massageboys outside-you sit on the street on a stool-and make a date for laetr on. I was sitting across a couple who turned on the gaydar-and who were discussing among them if I ???? they later showed me the way of how to handle that.
I am not critising fedssocr- but do you after all those times not yet have an idea of how (gay) Asia works? take Indonesia-my favorite country- even more gay as Thaild, but hardly any gay bar-only 2-3 or so in KUta/Bali-to point the way to those dumbfounded Ozzie tourists.

fedssocr
January 11th, 2012, 08:35
I guess I don't know how "gay Asia works". That's why I like Thailand. :-) But typically I am focused on other things when I am traveling around the region.

bjbjboy
May 26th, 2012, 22:15
I'm going to Burma for about 2 weeks, in late July. Checking to see if there's any updated info, since things seem to be changing so quickly there! I see now there are budget flights from BKK, KUL, and SIN--quite a few choices!
I plan to do Yangon, Bagan, and Mandalay, pretty standard stops I guess, and it is rainy season, so I'm prepared for horrible infrastructure, etc. I'll report back when I return, but if anyone's been there in 2012, I'd love to know more!
Thanks

chacal60
May 27th, 2012, 17:31
Shoot me a PM. I go in and out of Burma/Myanmar regularly from Singapore, and I'll likely be here late June into early and perhaps mid July. Haven't found a "scene" but I've learned lots of survival tips as well as what's what in Yangon and Mandalay. Have yet to make a trip to Bagan. Yes, there WILL be rain when you come - spring for a well-made, wide cover umbrella before you travel, but don't expect to get by with a simple collapsible travel umbrella. Monsoon rains can come at you sideways...quick dry pants and waterproof shoes (or river shoes/sandals, if you go pure tourist) are a must.

July 14th, 2012, 15:23
Giving this thread a bump in the hopes of finding some updated information. I'm hoping to make a trip there in about a week. If anyone can recommend good budget hotels in Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake I would greatly appreciate it. They don't have to be gay or gay-friendly, just good value hotels or guesthouses.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

chacal60
October 6th, 2012, 01:46
How was your trip, and did you find any gay-friendly places? I spent a month off and on in between Yangon and Bagan in the last six months, and found _zero_ gay night (or day) life. However, during one trip I found a couple of really sweet guys through planet romeo and ended up getting quite friendly with one of them. English is a challenge unless you are looking really young i.e. early 20s.

What I definitely found is that the gay men are *desperate* for international contact, as well as simple affection. One friend just wanted to hold my hand and feel the hair on my Western (not so hairy) arms. They like to hug a lot too, which is very cute.

pong
October 7th, 2012, 18:59
Giving this thread a bump in the hopes of finding some updated information. I'm hoping to make a trip there in about a week. If anyone can recommend good budget hotels in Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake I would greatly appreciate it. They don't have to be gay or gay-friendly, just good value hotels or guesthouses. .
Do not use this ste for that-go to any of the mainstream (bekpek/lowbudget) sites, like lonelyplanet/thorntree or better travelfish.org.

fedssocr
October 8th, 2012, 07:23
I noticed that men and boys were in general very affectionate with each other there. It was very sweet and made me wonder how I could get in on it. :-) The boys I met in Sittwe were very fun and if I had had the time.... But that was a total chance encounter.

chacal60
October 11th, 2012, 17:48
I noticed that men and boys were in general very affectionate with each other there. It was very sweet and made me wonder how I could get in on it. :-) The boys I met in Sittwe were very fun and if I had had the time.... But that was a total chance encounter.

The guys /are/ sweet and affectionate. One friend literally cried when I was leaving, and we didn't do anything more than just walk and talk together, and some innocent hugging. I think gays are still very closeted, and if you are a westerner (as I am) they are desperate for kindness and affection.

It's really quite sweet. When I go back I'm going to devote more attention to hooking up. I recommend planetromeo, it doesn't seem to be blocked by censors.

anakot
December 20th, 2012, 06:53
I'm off to B/M tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Going around the main cities, also Bagan, the lake etc. Any further updates would be welcome. Also will post with pics when back in town

lonelywombat
January 9th, 2013, 08:31
[attachment=0:26pilzsm]014140-fisherman-david-lazar.jpg[/attachment:26pilzsm]

Travel to Burma and discover a country of mythical landscapes, ancient treasures and some of the friendliest folk youтАЩll ever meet. From golden-gilded BuddhaтАЩs in Yangon and the magical temples of Bagan to the tranquillity of Inle Lake, Burma will excite, impress and intrigue you. A visit to Burma is to experience the South-East Asia of twenty years ago, full of rarely seen sights and generations of stories just waiting to be told. Come and discover a little bit of Burma magic with us."

тАЬThereтАЩs been an incredible response to Aung San Suu KyiтАЩs call for tourists to return to Burma,тАЭ Mr Thornton said.

тАЬItтАЩs a beautiful and fascinating country, reminiscent of what much of South East Asia was like more than thirty years ago. The sense of excitement is palpable and the Burmese are overwhelmingly friendly and gracious. Sacred sites rarely visited by Westerners and incredible architecture makes this a magical destination.тАЭ

The two biggest highlights of Burma according to Mr Thornton are Bagan - BurmaтАЩs crowning glory, comprised of more than 2000 brick and gold-gilded stupas тАУ timeworn remnants of BurmaтАЩs тАШgolden periodтАЩ and Shwedagon Paya, a dazzling pagoda in Yangon.

The full article is published here

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/worl ... 6549982283 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/world/burma-is-the-place-to-visit-in-2013/story-e6frfhdo-1226549982283)

January 17th, 2013, 16:19
Yup, count me in on looking for an update. I'm travelling in Feb to Rangoon and Mawlamyine - any updates advice and tips very much appreciated.
:party

pong
January 18th, 2013, 14:47
DO, Do reserve and do expect to pay sky-hi prices for a broomcloset. At the mo, since last yr BBurma=Myanm is overrun with toruists and has a definitive lack of accomodation at all-and even more in the luxury segment.

wunnie
February 1st, 2013, 17:27
I have just come back from Myanmar. I visited Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Lake Inle. What a wonderful country and friendly people. There is so much to do and see. I am so pleased I went there now as it is definitely changing, what with all the tourists and their hard-won freedom of speech. It probably wont be long before it turns into a new Pattaya!
I did not visit any gay places though I am told there are several gay friendly bars and restaurants. I did not feel it was necessary as, being my first visit, I wanted to see as much as possible and did not feel the urge, although there were many very handsome, smiling boys.
I heartily recommend a visit now as already one can see hotel prices and air fares on the rise.

fedssocr
April 17th, 2013, 06:37
Not gay, but a good look at the current situation in the country

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony- ... hp_livenow (http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown/episode1?hpt=hp_livenow)