PDA

View Full Version : 60 Day Tourist VISA requirements

cameroncat
October 18th, 2011, 01:58
I know there has been some talk on various forums saying that you will be required to show airline and Hotel reservations, bank statements etc. when applying for a Tourist VISA. I just dropped off my VISA application at the Los Angeles Embassy and they didn't want to see any of that stuff. Just the application, Passport (and copy), and the money. Took all of 3 minutes. Turn around time is 24 hours.

netrix
October 18th, 2011, 13:39
is that double entry? do you know if it can be extended?

October 18th, 2011, 15:34
The posting on Thaivisa.com that started the whole bit about having to have a hotel reservation was linked to a Ministry of Foreign Affairs website -- But, if you clicked the "home page" button, it took you to the home page for the Thai Embassy in Cambodia. The MofFA hosts many of the websites for Thai Embassies around the world. So, that particular requirement was for those applying in Phenom-Penh. The regular MofFA page showing requirements for a tourist visa did not mention that as a requirement.

pong
October 18th, 2011, 16:49
this is of course single rentry-double would mean 2x60 days and double price too- 60 days is the standd for a tourist-visa.
This confirms what I wrote after the short hype of that time when people unaccustomed to the wilderness of Thaivisa believe anything they wrtie here. This clearly was yet another attempt at getting those nasty visa-runners (=people living in Thaildn forever on back to back types of visa from nearby embassies) away. No prob at all for normal, decent genuine tourists from far abroad.

October 19th, 2011, 01:13
is that double entry? do you know if it can be extended?

is this in the right thread ?? or should it be in the *what boys do for money* thread? :party

francois
October 19th, 2011, 03:46
this is of course single rentry-double would mean 2x60 days and double price too- 60 days is the standd for a tourist-visa.

I think you may be wrong Pong. Double entry means you can enter the Kingdom twice during the 60 day period; and your second entry must be within the validity period of the tourist visa which is 90 days from date of issue of the visa.
Can others confirm?

cameroncat
October 19th, 2011, 13:46
Francois is correct. single entry means your VISA is cancelled when you leave the country. 2 or 3 entry allows you to leave and return within the 60 days. You pay more for each entry. You can apply for a 30 day extension while in Thailand. If you only have a single entry VISA, You can also leave the country (take a side trip to KL or Cambodia for instance) near the end of your 60 day VISA (your VISA will be cancelled) and get another 30 days when you return on your passport alone.

October 20th, 2011, 00:10
Hi

Single entry tourist visa

This visa is valid for sixty days and can be extended by immigration for a further week, two weeks or month depending on what policies are in force at the time at immigration. In theory therefore, it can be good for three months.

Double entry tourist visa

This visa has a validity date of three months and must be utilised for two entries before the 90 day period of its validity. Therefore, you can have your sixty days plus a couple of extra weeks begged at immigration classed as your first entry. Then, provided your second entry takes place before the 90 days validity date, you get a further sixty days plus a couple of extra weeks, again begged at the immigration point.

Therefore, if you are utilising your visa to its full potential, you can use that double entry for nearly six months.

Unless the rules have dramatically changed and I don't think they have, that was my interpretation of it and I did it enough whilst I was ' on bail ' for ten years!!

cameroncat
October 20th, 2011, 08:07
So you're saying that a 3 entry 60 day visa, is in essence, a 180 day visa if you leave and return at the end of each 60 day period. I've never heard anyone else claim that, but if its true, it's great!

October 20th, 2011, 11:58
So you're saying that a 3 entry 60 day visa, is in essence, a 180 day visa if you leave and return at the end of each 60 day period. I've never heard anyone else claim that, but if its true, it's great!

cameroncat,

Yes. but:

The main thing to check is the validity expiration date of your Tourist visa in which it states ' enter before.....dd/mm/yyyy

After this date if you have not already entered Thailand, it has expired.

If you are already in, it will have your visa valid until dates stamped in your passport.

That is my understanding of it and it always worked for me previously with my visas. Unless as I said before that the visa rules and regulations have vastly changed,which I don't think they have, I believe I am giving you correct and factual information.

October 20th, 2011, 12:12
From April e-mail with Houston Honorary Thai Consulate:

"1. I have not yet booked my flight. Is it required to submit a copy of a paid ticket/itinerary at this point?

Yes, it is a requirement for a tourist visa to have a copy of the paid itinerary.

2. Can I put an estimated arrival date on the application?

Yes, you can put an estimated arrival date on the application.

3. Do you really need a bank statement for a tourist visa?

Yes, it is a requirement to submit a copy of the bank statement when applying for a tourist visa, it needs to show your name and a minimum available balance of $500."

The flight & bank statement requirements were never required in my past experience.

cameroncat
October 21st, 2011, 02:17
Well, Like I said, I had all that additional documentation ready in case they wanted to see it, but when I showed it to the nice thai lady at the embassy if she needed it, she shook her head.

October 21st, 2011, 13:10
The documents required will depend on where you apply. The items listed by the Honorary Consul in Houston is comparable to those listed on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website - seehttp://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489. These are also the documents listed by the Thai Embassy in Washington DC - see http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx.

A visa is permission to enter Thailand, which must be done by the expiration (enter before) date shown on the Visa. For single entry, this is normally 3 months from date of issue. It is my understanding that if it is a double entry, the Embassy/Consulate will give 6 months validity to the Tourist Visa - the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website notes the validity date for a tourist visa can be 3 months or 6 months -
4. VALIDITY OF A VISA - The validity of a visa is 3 months or 6 months. - see http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489. When entering Thailand, you will receive a permission to stay of 60 days with a tourist visa -- you can apply at Thai Immigration in Thailand for an extension up to 30 days. If you have a double entry Tourist Visa, you can leave Thailand anytime during the permission to stay period (plus extension if obtained). You can then reenter Thailand before the expiration date shown on the Tourist Visa and receive another 60 day permitted stay, which can also be extended for up to another 30 days.

So, if you have a double entry that expires in 3 months - you would need to leave Thailand and return before the expiration date. If it expires in 6 months, then you can leave at end of 60 (+30) day permitted stay - spend some time outside of Thailand if you wish and then return for another 60 (+30) day stay. The key is to re enter Thailand before the expiration date shown on the visa.

Although many people confuse a "visa" and a "permission to stay" - they are not the same thing. See http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2649 for question/answer -- one answer notes:
That is not a correct understanding. The validity of visa and the duration of stay are not the same. The 3-month validity of the visa means that you must use the visa within 3 months from the date of issue. The duration of stay is the period in which you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom granted by the Immigration Officer once you arrive in Thailand, that is, 60 days from the date of entry.

NickysGayPattaya
October 21st, 2011, 16:06
This is all a very complicated subject and there are a few points, which I know to be 100% correct and are worth putting down here.

1) The requirements differ from embassy to embassy. What's good in one place won't be good in another - this applies even within one country. So Houston is very likely to be different from New York. Manchester different from London etc.
2) The Visa (60 days) can be extended in an immigration office in Thailand for up to 30 days at the cost of 1900B. This means a 60 day tourist visa can last 90 days.
3) Each entry (and leaving) of Thailand takes one Visa. So a double entry will give you two visits a total of 180 days. Triple entry 3 visits, 270 days or nearly 9 months.
4) If after this you leave the country, you can come back on a misleadingly called "Visa on arrival". Of course it's no such thing. It's merely a permission to stay in the country stamp in your passport. It's not a Visa at all. You get 30 days when flying in but only 14 days when coming by land. if your visit is less than 30 days and you are Maerican or Western European or Australian, that's all you need. You don't need a tourist visa at all and you can get the "Permission to stay" stamp in your passport when you land.
5) The requirements for Americans are very slightly different for Europeans, but in this case no.

I can't comment on any particular Embassy/Consulate's requirements, as has been said above and in my reply point 1, they vary. Best thing to do is to check with your local embassy before going there.

Sorry I can't be more specific - the places themselves aren't specific.

I wrote a reasonable guide back last May which is published here http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pattaya/thai-visas/ as far as I know it's still correct

MusicMan
October 24th, 2011, 13:51
In Stockholm, we DID need special information. We needed a copy of our passport, two photos and copies of airline tickets. For multiple entry Visa we needed a copy of the tickets for each Visa. So I got a double entry and ahd to show tickets in and out of Thailand for each.

Next time I'll get an O Visa which is much easier now than the Tourist Visa.

James