PDA

View Full Version : How to spot the difference between normal guys and moneyboys

Beachlover
October 17th, 2011, 20:11
Some have been complaining they can't tell the difference between genuine, normal guys and moneyboys.

Depending on what you're after, this mistake can mean offending a normal guy, making him feel dirty and ruining the chances of a good relationship or friendship. Or you might piss off a moneyboy by not giving him cash when you're supposed to.

Some have said they can spot a moneyboy a mile off! I'm somewhere in between. I thought it'd be good for everyone to offer their tips on this...

Well if you can spot a non MB in Pattaya/Silom/ Gay Romeo from a working boy then i applaud you -- im coming here 9 years,practicaly living here last 2.5 years --and i cannot als tell
Ive a good friend here -living and working for 10 years and most of the time he Cannot tell if a guy is MB or not -- ive had this disscussion with many farang --but they dont seem to be experts in this field either !!
Ok... I don't know about the online dating stuff but I have a pretty good track record when chatting up Thai guys face to face in nightclubs likes DJ Station.

Basically, what I look out for is Thai guys who are in a group and look like they're just having a night out with their mates normally. When you chat to them and they tell you they work in some corporate job, have a small business, study medicine or something. Their friends will usually do similar middle class stuff. That's when you know you've got a group of Thai guys just having a night out with their friends and not moneyboys.

If they say they're waiters, students doing some vague course, have some plan for the future or just "work around here" etc. then it's more likely (though not guaranteed) that they are moneyboys.

There's more stuff but it's not as easy to articulate here. You just have to be a bit intuitive and perceptive.

The only time I've hooked up with a guy who I suspect (he never confirmed) was a moneyboy was on one of my earlier trips when I was really inexperienced with the gay scene in Asia. He was older, 26 (I was around 22) and came up to me in DJ Station. Really handsome guy but a bit of a lunatic.

I only suspected he was a moneyboy then because I saw photos of him with older farang on his phone. Now I also realise the vague descriptions of what he does (studying some random uni course like politics and working as a waiter) were also significant signs. Eventually I asked him if he was a moneyboy, nicely and he said no. I was a bit naive so I believed him... but all the same we had a great time together. I didn't pay him anything. When it was time for me to leave, he made a big scene, crying etc., which kind of put me into shock.

When I got home I found he had put all these little thumbnail portrait shots of himself in my toiletries bag and suitcase! After that big scene it was a bit of shock seeing his face again LOL.

--

So yeah... what are YOUR tips for telling the difference between normal guys and moneyboys?

This is relevant regardless of whether you prefer a normal guy or a moneyboy.

bucknaway
October 17th, 2011, 20:40
I can tell when he is not a money-boy from him offering to buy me a drink, pay the taxi pay for the meal or asks me out on a date. One guy just offered to pick me up and bring me to his house for a home cooked meal, I am sure he was not a money-boy. The only thing that stopped me from accepting his offer was his desire to smoke ice with me. Yeah... Drugs... ah... No...

Hey beach. Their is a certain theme to your posts. I can't put my finger on it but you are on about something. :scratch:

netrix
October 18th, 2011, 13:37
thais who are students or uni grads are proud of where they went
to school, and proud of their degree. if they have a real job, they're
proud of it and will tell you about it and even brag about their salary.

i've met guys who didn't want to tell me they were moneyboys but
they always seem to have a job at 7-11 or an internet cafe. nothing
wrong with that, but i wonder how often it's true.

i've never met a non mb who liked to spike his hair up in those crazy
thai moneyboy hairstyles.

if the first pic you see on his gayromeo profile is of his dick, chances
are good he's a mb. thais are shy unless they think showing off will
get you to pay them. most of the guys i've met online don't even have
shirtless pics.

good point buck about a guy buying you a drink. i've had numerous
guys take me out to a nice restaurant for dinner and insist on paying.
i doubt a mb would do that.

here's one...
if you ask if he wants to go on a trip with you for a few days and he
says yes right away and doesn't even mention his job or school, he's
probably a mb.

October 18th, 2011, 14:23
Hey re your post re the lunatic guy in DJ - that wasn't a guy called Ardhan ( or Art for short) by any chance ??? :-)

October 18th, 2011, 14:25
Sorry Beechy my above was meant to be a PM to you ! Opps ! :-)

pong
October 18th, 2011, 16:55
there was a nice overview with hints on this on that age-old favorite: the book The men Of Thailand=TMOT, too. I do not have it at hand here, but from what I recall:
1.they know the location of any ATM in the neighborhood and if they work at night (this book is from 1990-with ATMs quite rare and most closed at night)
2.they sprinkle themselves liberally with eau de Baht!
But granted dear BL; just as with the ladies the separation is needle thin and sometimes non-existent. Even those so proudly telling they have jobs and are not in it for the baht, may fall for the seducement or fall into hard times too. I tend to be quite suspect for those claiming to want nothing; the bill will always arrive, sooner or later, in whatever form.

Beachlover
October 18th, 2011, 21:50
Netrix... I agree with all the points you make.

On the point about them wanting to pay for meals and such, I think I've worked out one reason they want to do this, at least at first. They feel you're a guest in their country so they should treat you. I usually try to take it in turns to pay. If you're both genuine, that's what you do.

Hey re your post re the lunatic guy in DJ - that wasn't a guy called Ardhan ( or Art for short) by any chance ??? :-)
No... that wasn't his name. Why? You got a similar story to tell? Tell!

Sorry Beechy my above was meant to be a PM to you ! Opps ! :-)
LOL... no effort to go back and edit it huh?

loke
October 19th, 2011, 00:25
This is very easy!

If you spend some time with him first.

I promise you a moneyboy will never buy you a drink! To meet someone in a club or online and you are not sure what to expect then meet for food or drink first.
I have shared the bill many times , when we went out in a group of Thais or just me and my new friend, then you know , its just a normal gay boy and he would like to experience the same like the rest of us.

But I have a story ,I went to a gay disco long time ago in Bkk I believe my first time, this cute young boy there , only 19 y.o , well he took me home to his simple room and we had sex like crazy.
And he told me I was his first farang. Of course I didnt tip for anything, he was happy for this short experience. Then one week later , I met the same boy in a gaybar and he was offed by an elder farang. 2 hours later he come back. Showing me 1000 baht, very proud and he told me he was started working in bar day after we had sex so I think he was using me as a test :sign5:

christianpfc
October 19th, 2011, 02:16
i've never met a non mb who liked to spike his hair up in those crazy
thai moneyboy hairstyles.
I second that.

Moneyboys say or write things like "Hello handsome man" or "I love you" or end chats with "Kiss" that non-moneyboys would not say (unless their level of english is so low that they don't really understand what they are saying and they got these phrases somewhere).

"Who pays the bill?" doesn't work for me, as I always pay, I don't even consider this a question.

Having no work or being on holiday is always questionable. I met a few guys who were "on holiday" and then turned out to be moneyboys. But this explains why they are free all time and can stay with you without admitting being a moneyboy.

loke
October 20th, 2011, 01:43
"Who pays the bill?" doesn't work for me, as I always pay, I don't even consider this a question.

Why ?

You never spend time with the hi-so class ?
Some people would find it a bit rude if only you pay the bill.

cameroncat
October 20th, 2011, 08:17
If you meet a boy and he's got plenty of time to spend with you (day and night), he probably doesn't go to school or work, which means he is probably a MB.
My working Thai friends tell me they only stay on the first floor of DJ's because the 2nd and 3rd floor are for moneyboys. LOL
And of course, if your 65, fat and bald, and a 20 year old boy comes up to you on the street and flirts with you, he's probably a moneyboy (or just fresh of the bus and hungry) hehe

We all learn the hardway about moneyboys. I remember on my first trip to Thailand, having met a guy in Pattaya online before arriving. My first warning sign should have been the fact he was waiting for me in the lobby of the hotel when I arrived. Later, at dinner, when I asked him what he did for a living he replied "This is what I do". LOL

allieb
October 20th, 2011, 15:00
This is very easy!

If you spend some time with him first.

I promise you a moneyboy will never buy you a drink! To meet someone in a club or online and you are not sure what to expect then meet for food or drink first.
I have shared the bill many times , when we went out in a group of Thais or just me and my new friend, then you know , its just a normal gay boy and he would like to experience the same like the rest of us.

But I have a story ,I went to a gay disco long time ago in Bkk I believe my first time, this cute young boy there , only 19 y.o , well he took me home to his simple room and we had sex like crazy.
And he told me I was his first farang. Of course I didnt tip for anything, he was happy for this short experience. Then one week later , I met the same boy in a gaybar and he was offed by an elder farang. 2 hours later he come back. Showing me 1000 baht, very proud and he told me he was started working in bar day after we had sex so I think he was using me as a test :sign5:

I think he was politely telling you that you owed him 1,000 Baht.

You're getting quite good at not paying money boys for their time, and now even sexual encounters. Its a pity the one in Sunnee didn't cary out his threat and get you off the streets.

christianpfc
October 21st, 2011, 00:04

Why ?

You never spend time with the hi-so class ?
Some people would find it a bit rude if only you pay the bill.
Half of my encounters are moneyboys (there is really no questions who pays the bill), the other half mostly working class or students. I remember only one encounter with a Thai who obviously is high class (by chance, we met again at the Paris Gay Pride, he was in Paris for holiday) who paid for dinner. My main criterion for spending time with someone is not his class, but how cute he is. Furthermore, I'm about 5-10 years older than all my friends and have a higher education, so I assume I have higher status, so usually there is no question who pays.

I think he was politely telling you that you owed him 1,000 Baht. You're getting quite good at not paying money boys for their time, and now even sexual encounters. Its a pity the one in Sunnee didn't cary out his threat and get you off the streets.
I once slightly offended a non-money boy by offering money, so in case of doubt I now will wait for boys to say something about money instead of offering money. I had several encounters with money boys (as I found out during chat before or after sex) out of their working place, none of them asked for money. There was even one host boy, I was sitting in the bar he worked at and he offered to go with me for free after closing. So I waited for him, we went to my hotel, and when he left I asked if he needs money to get home: no.

loke
October 21st, 2011, 04:26
I think he was politely telling you that you owed him 1,000 Baht.

You're getting quite good at not paying money boys for their time, and now even sexual encounters. Its a pity the one in Sunnee didn't cary out his threat and get you off the streets.

I tell you about one story I had with to me was a student having fun out in a disco, not a MB , but you turn it into something else. Shame on you.

I am not cheap if that was you think.
Its not my fault that you never experienced free sex in your old miserable life before.

Beachlover
October 24th, 2011, 21:44
I have a story ,I went to a gay disco long time ago in Bkk I believe my first time, this cute young boy there , only 19 y.o , well he took me home to his simple room and we had sex like crazy.
Haha... I have a similar story, which I told on an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20418 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20418)

loke
October 25th, 2011, 00:20
Yes interesting story.

So this was an Isaan boy and he came to Bangkok as a lot of the boys , trying to make a living.

I guess theres not a lot of options for him , if he is cute and enjoy having sex with farangs of all ages and shapes then why would he choose to work long and hard days doing normal work ?

So he choose the easy way , no future to think about as long as he's still young and attractive. But there is a time for everything , his life may change to the worse before he knows it.

Also living a life like that will wear him out, if I want to marry someone , I would never choose a MB.

Manforallseasons
October 25th, 2011, 01:40
Why can't a moneyboy be a normal guy and visa versa.

Beachlover
October 25th, 2011, 23:33
So this was an Isaan boy and he came to Bangkok as a lot of the boys , trying to make a living.
Well in this case I don't think he came to Bangkok with the intention of making a living... first time I met him he had come to Bangkok on holidays with friends (all of which went home). I think he wanted to stay in Bangkok, needed a way to earn and decided this was the way to go. He had his weaknesses but was still a really sweet guy. Had that really sweet Isaan/Lao way of treating me.

I lost touch with him and wonder what he's up to now... Maybe he's found a generous farang to "marry" long-term.

loke
October 26th, 2011, 03:42
Why can't a moneyboy be a normal guy and visa versa.

What is normal ?

In my world a moneyboy is excactly that . He is a normal moneyboy , he will give you pleasure for money.

A normal gay like myself wanna marry a normal gay guy . Of course if you do not know the past and never ask questions you could still marry him....

thrillbill
October 27th, 2011, 22:12
If you're at DJ's chances are the Thais upstairs (skinny and fem acting) are moneyboys... Most of the Thai 'regular" gays stay downstairs. Many times when I am just socializing with a Thai young man and eventually he offers to buy me a drink...I start thinking he is NOT a money boy. Then there is other clues. I have met many NON-commercial guys in Bangkok and they're like me, just want to have some fun for the evening... In Pattaya, it seems 99% of the Thais are moneyboys... the regular gays that live here tend to stay away from Boyztown.

October 27th, 2011, 22:46
In Pattaya, it seems 99% of the Thais are moneyboys... the regular gays that live here tend to stay away from Boyztown.
My Gawd Thrillbill are you suggesting that all the boys and lads in Boyztown are all prostitutes? I should hope not!
Are you also suggesting by that comment that there are no prostituties on the beach, in Sunee Plaza or even Jomtien Complex?
And are you saying that 99% of all boys who work in photo shops, gas stations, restaurants and everywhere in Pattaya are moneyboys? Well that's what your comment says! 99% of all THAIS in Pattaya are money boys. And I would love to see what census you are quoting this stupid f**ked up information source of yours from. OK, it may be fair to say many boys seem to be prostituties from where YOU hang out but there are a lot of "boys" in Pattaya and I reckon to say that most are not money boys. But that still leaves this wharped thought of yours that they only are in Boyztown! Have you ever strolled through Jomtien Complex or Sunee Plaza? Cruised Jomtien Beach? I think not unless you are blind and forgot your gaydar.
Anxiously awaiting a response to this predjudical comment of yours!

October 27th, 2011, 23:00
Perhaps this 'fucked up' opinion such as thrillbill just posted gives light as to why quite a number of Thai gays that I have known don't like to visit areas alone where gay farangs hangout solely because they think they will be thought of as Money Boys....I really love the way some visitors to LOS form an opinion that slurs the whole population.

October 27th, 2011, 23:14
Well combat I am not saying that many or a majority of boys that hang out in these areas (Jomtien Complex, Sunee Plaza and Boyztown) are not moneyboys, but to say 99% of the Thais in Pattaya seem to be moneyboys is just ridiculous. To add that the moneyboys only hang out in Boyztown is another predjudicial comment. Pattaya's other name is the "extreme city". It hosts, yes, a lot of boy bars and a lot of girly bars. It also hosts many nice restaurants, gardens, zoos and a bunch of other fun stuff to see and places to go.
Ladyboys are less likely to be harrassed and taunted in Pattaya then in most cities in Thailand and that is why many more flock here.
Sorry but his comment just bothers the hell out of me.

October 27th, 2011, 23:36
Sorry but his comment just bothers the hell out of me.

I agree justme. And also in Bangkok the number of educated Thai guys that I have known over the years who have told me for example that they wouldn't walk down Silom Soi 4, which has quite a diverse number of bars and restaurants etc.. because of being thought of as 'money' by those that know no different...

loke
October 28th, 2011, 04:45
I think Thrillbill meant to say that 99% of the boys that hang around "bars and clubs" are moneyboys in Pattaya, not every working boys in shops or whatever,

But I agree that many Thai gays just avoid the farang places like Soi 4 in Bangkok.

They go to the clubs instead and why not , its much more fun.

October 28th, 2011, 05:43
I think Thrillbill meant to say that 99% of the boys that hang around "bars and clubs" are moneyboys in Pattaya, not every working boys in shops or whatever, But I agree that many Thai gays just avoid the farang places like Soi 4 in Bangkok. They go to the clubs instead and why not , its much more fun.

Well I appreciate your responding to what "Thrillbill meant to say" but really I would like to hear what he meant from him. Certainly not trying to be rude, but only as he made the comment. And while that certainly may now be his answer, it still does not answer his comment that the moneyboys all hang around Boyztown area. Yes, Boyztown is one area that many do hang around but equally so with the other three large areas. Why does Thrillbill single out only one area.
Loke please, I would like to hear his responses to my questions.

October 28th, 2011, 22:01
... In Pattaya, it seems 99% of the Thais are moneyboys... the regular gays... tend to stay away from Boyztown.

Long may it continue.

danny99
November 2nd, 2011, 16:35
I can tell when he is not a money-boy from him offering to buy me a drink, :

Yes, I know this is not Thailand but my first experience with a 'class' money boy was at the DOK in Amsterdam. I saw him come in and watched in amazement as he looked around then came and sat at the next bar stool to me. He said hello, I offered to buy him a drink, he accepted, idle chat then he bought me a drink...still in total shock at being with this young spunky blue-eyed smartly dressed blonde German boy...then he explained that whilst he would like to chat all night that he was a 'business boy' and the rates,, I took him home in shock, my first ever money boy. He later became the boyfriend of the owner of that famous DOK and later inherited it on his death.

So much for them buying you a drink, but he was a class act, often meeting women and men flying to Paris or wherever, from a phone call, lived on a house boat on The Prizengracht at that time minding it for a rich Berlin woman.

But generally you are very right, if they buy you a drink they are either genuine or VERY clever.

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2011, 10:57
to say 99% of the Thais in Pattaya seem to be moneyboys is just ridiculous.
I agree that's inaccurate. But I think Thrillbill is just trying to express his frustration, as he has in the past, that it's difficult to meet normal guys the Pattaya social scene because most guys he comes across are moneyboys with moneyboy expectations.

For guys like him who aren't into the paid scene, this can be a really annoying thing because moneyboys don't exactly declare upfront that they're moneyboys. So after running into a few of these you start to get paranoid and suspect everyone you meet of being a moneyboy, even if they're completely genuine. It's actually really irritating and sometimes you wish that paid scene didn't exist or that it could be more black/white.

I know most of you guys look at it from the perspective of someone who participates in the paid scene so I guess this is to give you an idea of what these places are like from someone who isn't.

To add that the moneyboys only hang out in Boyztown is another predjudicial comment.
To be fair, I don't see him making that claim anywhere.

December 3rd, 2011, 11:32
In Pattaya, it seems 99% of the Thais are moneyboys... the regular gays that live here tend to stay away from Boyztown.

Were you asleep when you read this? :tongue3:

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2011, 12:18
No but that sentence doesn't mean "moneyboys only hang out in Boyztown [i.e. no where else]" does it?

Neal
December 3rd, 2011, 17:16
Exactly B/L that is why I brought it up! ll he mentions is that people don't hang out in BT because of the money boys there. First while yes it is the majority, there are several other places that they are prdominent in. Why mention only BT?

Beachlover
December 4th, 2011, 08:41
I don't think it was meant to be a comprehensive statement, not meant to imply that moneyboys only hang out in Boyztown... In Bangkok, there's plenty of places with moneyboys outside Silom, yet when people mention gogo boys and such, they mainly talk about Silom. I guess Boyztown symbolises the paid scene in Pattaya, though he could just as easily have said Sunee Plaza.

I just think you misread what he was trying to say... no biggie.

loke
December 9th, 2011, 13:35
In Bangkok the Thai gay locals try to avoid Silom Area because they will not be seen there .
I have once agreed to meet someone from Gayromeo and I suggested Silom , the reply was I never go to Silom , its not where gay locals hang out.

So it was then I discovered other areas of Bangkok that was where mostly locals meet and of course if youre looking for sex its free. Problem is to find someone interested in farangs.

I think maybe its the same in Pattaya , but it would be easier to find someone in the clubs , outside BT or Sunee.

martin911
December 10th, 2011, 00:34
In Bangkok the Thai gay locals try to avoid Silom Area because they will not be seen there .
I have once agreed to meet someone from Gayromeo and I suggested Silom , the reply was I never go to Silom , its not where gay locals hang out.

So it was then I discovered other areas of Bangkok that was where mostly locals meet and of course if youre looking for sex its free. Problem is to find someone interested in farangs.

I think maybe its the same in Pattaya , but it would be easier to find someone in the clubs , outside BT or Sunee.

I often go out in some of the "other areas of Bkk " that u refer to ---- and i have never seen it to be a case that it is difficult to find someone interested in Farangs -- mabye a change of aftershave might help your problem in this area ??

What areas have you been too ??- Rachada/Ladprao/Ot to kor etc ??