PDA

View Full Version : Republican dogs

May 9th, 2006, 08:06
Dick Cheney had a gun dog with him when he went quail shooting recently (and bagged one of the other guests); now the President of Pakistan claims that he is not Geoge Bush's poodle. Pervez Musharraf is a General in the Pakistani army and he seized power in a coup in 1999. For two years he was an international pariah, but along came 9/11 and he saw the opportunity to cozy up to the US. In a recent interview the General, in fully military regalia, said this about himself and his country: "At this moment my country needs me. I've put a strong constitutional democratic system in place. That willthrow up a successor. I'm a strong believer in democracy." I guess Rummy will be giving him lessons soon on how, in a democracy, it's the civilians who run the army and not the other way round

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/sto ... 15,00.html (http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1763515,00.html)

Bob
May 9th, 2006, 10:34
While easy to say, a rather shallow analysis of what Afghanistan is today and where it might be going.
By historical standards in Afgahnistan, he's rather on the liberal side (women not required to wear veils, etc.). And Afgahnistan now has a constitutional democracy in place which, although hardly perfect (and we have to see how it plays out in the 2007 elections), is certainly a bright possibility for that country.
Bottom-line, though, is Afghans can hopefully decide what their future will be and and will ignore the westernerns (both zealots and critics) in that process. Its difficult for me to believe that either Americans who visit Thailand (e.g., me) or Americans who live in Thailand have any right to interfere (or to suggest that they know better).

May 9th, 2006, 11:17
rather shallow analysis

La Heddra's specialite'.

Why she's posting again here, while she has her own bog-in-exile (and has claimed "SF" dead dozens and dozens of times), is a mystery.

May 9th, 2006, 13:42
By historical standards in Afgahnistan, he's rather on the liberal side (women not required to wear veils, etc.). And Afgahnistan now has a constitutional democracy in place which, although hardly perfect (and we have to see how it plays out in the 2007 elections), is certainly a bright possibility for that country.

I was rather under the impression that Musharraf was running things in Pakistan, not Afghanistan -- but do correct us if Mr. Kharzai has given up the post!

May 9th, 2006, 14:30
Pakistan, Afghanistan...what's the difference. They're all raghead khaeks anyway, aren't they?

Bob
May 10th, 2006, 03:30
As Emily Latela so often said, "never mind!"

Meant Pakistan and should have said that as it's far easier to spell than Afgahnistan (or is that Khaekistan. BG?).

May 10th, 2006, 07:18
Meant Pakistan and should have said that as it's far easier to spell than Afgahnistan (or is that Khaekistan. BG?).It's a Stan. Whatever. Full of Wogs. As Uncle Matthew used to say "Abroad is bloody and foreigners are fiends"

cottmann
May 23rd, 2006, 11:22
Meant Pakistan and should have said that as it's far easier to spell than Afgahnistan (or is that Khaekistan. BG?).It's a Stan. Whatever. Full of Wogs. As Uncle Matthew used to say "Abroad is bloody and foreigners are fiends"

And wogs begin at Calais?