PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu & Travel

May 9th, 2006, 05:23
As more and more countries gear up for the "potential" Bird Flu Pandemic there is talk of implementing travel restrictions (if and) when the virus crosses into the human population.

Anybody have any idea what would be done regarding ex-pats and visa runs if this were to occur?

May 9th, 2006, 06:57
As more and more countries gear up for the "potential" Bird Flu Pandemic there is talk of implementing travel restrictions (if and) when the virus crosses into the human population.

Anybody have any idea what would be done regarding ex-pats and visa runs if this were to occur?
Good question, and I seriously doubt there is a plan.
If I had to predict, I would assume overstayers would be seen as illegal as ever, but enforcement would be a very low priority until it passed.

Many expats would probably wish to return to their home countries for the duration, but if a pandemic has already begun, it is conceivable that there would be no air transport out and possible quarantine on arrival (if you could get a flight). And of course it would be crazy to get on an airplane in the middle of a pandemic anyway.

May 9th, 2006, 07:12
Anybody have any idea what would be done regarding ex-pats and visa runs if this were to occur?I'd just stay at home in the US and lock your doors if I were you

May 9th, 2006, 07:38
Anybody have any idea what would be done regarding ex-pats and visa runs if this were to occur?I'd just stay at home in the US and lock your doors if I were you
I assume the question is about expats living in Thailand who need to take visa runs, and what happens to them.
Of course, if it kills you, no worries on the visa front.

Surfcrest
May 9th, 2006, 08:41

Having some guns around wouldn't hurt

May 9th, 2006, 08:44

Having some guns around wouldn't hurt
Yeah, but farangs can't legally own guns.
People will be more interested in food, water, and medicine than cash.

May 9th, 2006, 08:45
People will be more interested in food, water, and medicine than cash.Even Johnny?

May 9th, 2006, 08:47
Oh, and ATMS won't work either.
So we won't even be walking ATMS anymore.
Sounding grimmer and grimmer.

May 9th, 2006, 08:51
Oh, and ATMS won't work either. So we won't even be walking ATMS anymore. Sounding grimmer and grimmer.Yes, I think it's obvious that all Americans should stay home in America with their doors locked until we can be absolutely, 100% sure that this threat, like SARS and Ebola and all those other bogey men, has passed

May 9th, 2006, 08:54
Oh, and ATMS won't work either. So we won't even be walking ATMS anymore. Sounding grimmer and grimmer.Yes, I think it's obvious that all Americans should stay home in America with their doors locked until we can be absolutely, 100% sure that this threat, like SARS and Ebola and all those other bogey men, has passed
Don't you wish?
Tell us all about your deep seated anti-American feelings, please.

May 9th, 2006, 08:58
Tell us all about your deep seated anti-American feelings, please.As my Latin master said, when the notion of him teaching French to the Lower Fourth was proposed, "The pearls will be genuine, but I'm afraid the swine are artificial"

May 9th, 2006, 08:59
Legitimate expats don't need to make visa runs. Everyone else is a tourist.

May 9th, 2006, 09:00
Legitimate expats don't need to make visa runs. Everyone else is a tourist.
That is simply not true. There are lots of people doing 90 day runs with O visas.

May 9th, 2006, 09:06
Legitimate expats don't need to make visa runs. Everyone else is a tourist.You should make your point more clearly, boygeenyus, but if you won't, I'll do it for you

boygeenyus came to Thailand as a callow youth, having been raised in that acme of culture and civilisation, Houston Texas. Here he stayed. For some extraordinary reason that has completely eluded the rest of the ex-pat community he worked assiduously to gain permanent residence and regards everyone else (if I recall the quote correctly "English teachers, via runners and other low-lifes") as an under-class. Some of his best friends are allegedly (NOT corrupt) policemen who know him to be a shirt-lifter. He is barely 40. Other details can be gained on application

May 9th, 2006, 09:09
Why not extend their "O" visas at immigration, instead of making visa runs?

May 9th, 2006, 09:11
I don't recall ever saying "English teachers, visa runners, and other low-lifes"...but I like it! Also don't recall saying anything about friends who are cops, but I do have a few...some of them "shirt-lifters" themselves.

May 9th, 2006, 09:11
Why not extend their "O" visas at immigration, instead of making visa runs?
Not all people are eligible for one year extensions, even all people who own businesses. Its technical. Not the farangs fault, they are just playing with the rules as they are.

Surfcrest
May 9th, 2006, 09:16
Yes, I think it's obvious that all Americans should stay home in America with their doors locked until we can be absolutely, 100% sure that this threat, like SARS and Ebola and all those other bogey men, has passed

Still think some guns wouldn't hurt.
Locked doors only keep honest ones out.

Thankfully not every Walking ATM needs to go to another ATM for cash.
Cash is like guns, always good to have plenty handy just in case

May 9th, 2006, 10:30
I don't recall ever saying "English teachers, visa runners, and other low-lifes"...but I like it!The quote, from your thonglor55 days was (in respect to raising fees on visas) "I don't see how raising the fee will affect tourism. But maybe it will have an effect on the community of outcasts, hangers-on, and visa-runners"

May 9th, 2006, 11:08
Ah, yes. My supposed alter-ego. You're slipping into your fantasy world again, dear Homi.

PS: as you claim to know me in real life, you should know that my most formative educational years were spent nowhere near Houston, TX.

May 9th, 2006, 11:44
So where dose our dear Homeintern hail from? His anti-americanism seems very french... certainly not the kind of bigotry one would expect from one of the Queen's subjects.. LOL

May 10th, 2006, 16:44
So where dose our dear Homeintern hail from? His anti-americanism seems very french...

(Webster's) Dose: (3) Anything nauseous that one is obliged to take.

The many French people I know are very gracious.

homi's from...umm...Pissy Falls, Victoria by way of DALLAS, Texas...or Monte de Basura*, California--Or, maybe...Crackedass, Kansas!... :idea:

*Horse manure

Anyone else care to guess?

Bob
May 11th, 2006, 04:06
So where dose our dear Homeintern hail from?

Not sure but understood our dear Colonel hailed from Arnoldland (near Disneyland). I'm not sure about his doses but suspect it would be metamucil versus something brought over the border on the back of a burro.