PDA

View Full Version : where do all our viewers connect from?

lonelywombat
October 14th, 2011, 05:51
I read the preamble of the new restaurant forum and dismissed itas an attempt to emulate the recipes and restaurants on gaybutton. The few expats that read the forums rarely post as can be seen on GB board. Advertisers are being sought for this board, I assume from restaurants, which is the reason why this was created.

I doubt the new forum will attract people to Sawatdee, or advertisers.

From time to time, I come across forums where the countries of posters currently reading, or in the last 24 hours are located. How to attract the tourist first time ot repeat, should be part of the business plan for Sawatdee, if the survival of Pattaya and Thailand as a gay destination is to be achieved.

Attracting people from google and other search engines to Sawatdee should be the first step towards encouraging them to visit or revisit LOS.

Id be very inclined if I was the new owner to let the restaurant forum disappear, and look towards how to capture some of the gay tourists that are using Bangkok as a transit area, on airlines that are increasing using BKK as a hub. Recently I flew Turkish Air from London via Instabul . They fly a daily service to Vietnam via BKK. Thats just one example.
Knowing the countries from where the hits on Sawatdee are coming form, is a valuable tool to use in selling advertising to. The growth area for advertisers is not to expats or tourist already here, but for those who are considering coming here soon.

The first thing I would do after cancelling the restaurant forum would be to widen the appeal of the forum by say renaming-

Sawatdee-Gay Thailand ,Gay Cambodia and Gay South East Asia.

There were some fantastic trip reports about Cambodia. I would seek to preserve those posts and to encourage additional trip reports from members.

Maybe a seperate moderator for the South East Asia forum to get it started.

If there was a business plan before purchase, then it is not obvious as yet.

RonanTheBarbarian
October 14th, 2011, 08:24
I agree with you Wombat. You are perhaps a bit hard on the restaurant forum idea , some people may like it, but I do not think the posters on this board will have much interest in posting restaurant reviews, it is a different demographic than gaybuttons board and I don't see it doing that well tbh. However an extra section is not that much of a burden. But if there is going to be more sections then the section on "other countries" should be re-introduced and highlighted.
Trip reports of travel within Thailand and neighbouring countries are one of the more effective ways of attracting non-expat readers. This forum definitely used to be better for trip reports.
I would suggest that as DaBoss has some vouchers to give away, offering them for the best trip report over a year would be a good use of them. You could have categories - such as for most informative, funniest etc.

Beachlover
October 14th, 2011, 10:10
Attracting people from google and other search engines to Sawatdee should be the first step towards encouraging them to visit or revisit LOS.
1. SGT already has good search engine optimisation. The way to attract more visitors from search engines like Google is to post good, relevant content and ensure good keywords are used.

E.g. If you're posting a thread about "DJ Station in Bangkok", put the full name and location in the thread title and consider including other words like "gay disco", "gay bar", "gay nightclub". People searching for "gay club Bangkok" will find it.

Posters like A447 and Martin911 could consider using more specific thread titles like "Gay gogo bars in Pattaya report" or "Update on gay nightclubs in Bangkok" if they're keen to attract more readers.

Same goes with everything else from attractions and restaurants to hotels (DaBoss should correct the spelling of the hotel name in the "Sivatel/Sivalel hotel" thread title so search engines find it easier).

widen the appeal of the forum by say renaming-

Sawatdee-Gay Thailand ,Gay Cambodia and Gay South East Asia.
2. Why Cambodia specifically? South-east Asia has lots of other countries with far better gay-oriented nightlife and lifestyle than Cambodia.

I agree the forum should aim to cover travel to other countries as well. That's why I think there should be a "Gay in other countries" forum which is separate from the "Global/anything" forum. That way you separate quality gay-related stuff about other countries from the general banter.

I read the preamble of the new restaurant forum and dismissed itas an attempt to emulate the recipes and restaurants on gaybutton.
3. I agree the approach to the restaurant forum missed the mark. On GBT you have a large population of static locals to support this type of forum and they barely get it over the line.

If I wanted to write a review about a restaurant I would actually be put off by this separate forum because I know if I write something in the Thailand forum, it'll get moved over to the restaurant forum and not many people will read it.

Better approach would be: Run the competition/incentive for restaurant reviews in the main Thailand forum... Once you've built up enough momentum of interest in this topic (there needs to be a lot!), open up the restaurant forum and shift all the threads over there to give it its own space.

if the survival of Pattaya and Thailand as a gay destination is to be achieved.
I assume you're referring solely to the commercial sex scene in Pattaya... this segment may be declining but it only makes up a one part of the gay scene in Thailand.

As far as I see, Thailand still remains a really popular destination for gay guys around Asia to party and get away to.

lonelywombat
October 14th, 2011, 10:14
I mentioned Cambodia in my original post. Just had a PM from a member who found Poseiden booked out so is going to this gay only hotel in Siem Reap.
He is going to spend 5 days in Bangkok then to Cambodia. He feels he will appreciate pattay more after varying his destinations.

http://www.mens-resort.com/gay-hotel-ac ... /index.php (http://www.mens-resort.com/gay-hotel-accommodation/index.php)

looks fantastic

lonelywombat
October 14th, 2011, 10:21
Beachlover my remarks was based on those travellers that go to google and punch in gay travel asai or similar.
Your remarks about the search engine is fine. Mine was to attract new people and former visitors to sawatdee.

I restricted it to Cambodia as I did not want to frightened the horses. If handled right it could spawn a gay intourist agency with guides etc.