PDA

View Full Version : Posting Tips

Surfcrest
May 9th, 2006, 04:10
Posting Messages and Photos.

If you are in Thailand, you are probably using a Proxy server to access the Sawatdee Board because Sawatdee is banned in Thailand. We are not alone in the list of sites that are banned in Thailand. If you select to go to a banned site, you will receive a full page message written only in Thai (with a red or green background) telling you the government authorities have banned the site. Of course, unless you can read Thai you wonтАЩt know what it meansтАжbut that is essentially it.

Now there are several Proxy servers that E.S. has made available above on the first post listed here. This post has been updated several times to provide new or alternative options. Whatever proxy server you use, there will be times when it does not function perfectly. I find that even accessing Sawatdee without using the proxy server isnтАЩt perfect.

There will be times when you make a post and instead of the post going through, followed by the short message that you can see your postтАжyou get the тАЬThe page cannot be displayedтАЭ message. This is a standard page that appears through Internet Explorer, but is also found with Firefox and Modzilla (Two other internet navigation options other than Internet Explorer). Just because you see this тАЬThe page cannot be displayedтАЭ page does not mean your post has not been successfully posted. If you re-enter Sawatdee, you may find your post has made it trough. All too often, posters will back-up or re-try, creating double posts.

A similar thing happens if you are posting photos. If you get the тАЬThe page cannot be displayedтАЭ message after posting a photo, the post made it but the photo did not. If you scroll to your photo album you will see the post, but the photo will appear as a red X. This means no one will be able to view it. You need to delete it and post it again. If you are posting photos from a proxy server you are going to have challenges. Although you may be connected using ADSL, the speed of the connection is no better than that of the proxy server. There is no guarantee that the proxyтАЩs power will allow you the constant connection required to post o photo.

Remember, photo sizes are governed by the boardтАЩs size limits. They suggest 1200 by 900 with a maximum size of 200 000 bytes or .2 Meg. For digital cameras you will need to re-size most shots, as they are usually considerably bigger than the maximum. I use Irfan to re-size my photos. If you are in Pattaya, Bytes at the corner of Second Road and Central Road has Irfan loaded, provided you have a CD to re-size tem from. Most Internet places donтАЩt provide Memory card readers, but most photo shops will convert your memory device to CD for between 50 and 300 baht, depending on the location.

I hope this helps

Surfcrest

May 9th, 2006, 04:13
get into Sawatdee Gay Thailand in Thailand from an internet cafe. If not, how can this be bypassed?

Surfcrest
May 9th, 2006, 04:23
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Surfcrest
May 9th, 2006, 04:24
This is a message from the Gay Thailand ~ Sawatdee Forum community
administrator:

http://server1.stupidcensorship.com/cgi ... pbz/sbehz/ (http://server1.stupidcensorship.com/cgi-bin/nph-surf.cgi/000110A/uggc/jjj.fnjngqrr-tnl-gunvynaq.pbz/sbehz/)

To be updated twice weekly in posts on both boards.

elephantspike
May 9th, 2006, 12:10
Thanks, Surfcrest. I'm going to let this thread run here until it falls off of page one, and then I'm going to put it in Posting Help and Guidelines and make it a sticky topic, so it won't get lost. Please remind me if I forget.

GWMinUS
May 10th, 2006, 00:39
I am reposting this here and hope it is useful.
I have also added an Image of Phnom Rung as an example.
The image is 850 pixels wide by 567 pixels high. The file size comes out to 195K.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding image size, the Posting Guidelines state
Maximim File Size of 200,000 or 200 KB
Maximum Image 1200 ( I assume this is in pixels?)
Maximum Image Height 900 pixels

In reality, I find any image larger than 900-955 pixels wide by 450-500 pixels high is a problem.
It is bothersome to have to scan and pan to enjoy the image.
So to be safe, I suggest the image be a maximum of 850 pixels wide by 445 pixels high.

Works for me...
George

http://upload4.postimage.org/216158/Phnom_Rung.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/216158/photo_hosting.html)

May 10th, 2006, 07:14
My bookmaker's site is banned from inside Thailand as the Thai authorities also disapprove of gambling (ho ho ho). I've had to use proxy servers for year to get at all sorts of information I need