PDA

View Full Version : Sprint/Verizon iPhone 4s to have unlocked Sim Trays

cameroncat
October 12th, 2011, 09:27
For any US readers considering buying a new iPhone 4s, beware that the AT&T iPhone remains locked to AT&T which prevents you from using a Thai SIM card when visiting Thailand (Unless you Jailbreak/Unlock it, which voids the Apple warranty and has to be re-done each time Apple updates the firmware). The Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4s are CDMA phones in the US, but they also have unlocked SIM trays (Apple will manufacture only one model 4s that works on all carriers). This will allow you to use your Verizon or Sprint account while in the US and pop a Thai SIM card in when visiting. A big advantage to world travelers. I'm going to switch once my AT&T contract expires next summer (unless AT&T bows to pressure and agrees to unlock iPhone for long term customers like they do for any Non-iPhone device they sell).

bucknaway
October 12th, 2011, 12:15
Thanks for the info. I am going to wait for the Iphone 5 or for the new Windows phone once windows 8 is on everything.

cameroncat
October 13th, 2011, 07:08
UPDATE: Sprint is denying that the GSM SIM Card slot is unlocked. Verizon has not commented yet.

bucknaway
October 15th, 2011, 10:15
UPDATE: Sprint is denying that the GSM SIM Card slot is unlocked. Verizon has not commented yet.

I just heard on a tech blog that Sprint is shipping the sim tray unlocked but will be locked with a software update but customers in good standing can ask to have it unlocked after each update.

Verizon will unlock the sim after 6 months of service to customers in good standing. (I could be wrong on the Verizon statement.)