PDA

View Full Version : First Night in BKK, Where to Go???

goteed1
October 12th, 2011, 08:27
Next month I'll be in Bangkok for the first time. My flight gets in to BKK around 10pm on a Thursday night, so I'll probably be checking into my hotel around Midnight. Staying here:

http://silom.glowbyzinc.com/

I'm not the type to get in late and get a good night's sleep in a new place, I'm going to want to check stuff out. Can anyone suggest bars within walking distance that will be a good place to go that late? I'm not looking to "off" anyone, just looking to get my drink on and enjoy and see what gay nightlife is like in BKK. However, I will definitely want to see a bar where you can off guys as well as any other types.

Thanks

max

lonelywombat
October 12th, 2011, 08:59
I have had this problem for over 20 years with Qantas flights arriving even later.
For others that might want to comment this link gives a map in english

http://silom.glowbyzinc.com/uploads/wys ... %20map.pdf (http://silom.glowbyzinc.com/uploads/wysiwyg/110527_Glow%20Trinity%20silom%20main%20map.pdf)

I packed the clothes I would wear in plastic on top of everything in my suitcase, ready to change into. Shaved on plane.
Had hotel address downloaded to give to taxi at airport.
More recently I have travelled with carryon luggage only, as laundry is easy and cheap. Dont save laundry for once a week load.
You need Thai currency for your first night. I usually use the ATM at the airport if Im not carrying cash from last trip

Nicky website has a lot of great maps use this one-- there are more than one map on this page

http://www.nickysgaybangkok.com/gay-ban ... map-n-sil/ (http://www.nickysgaybangkok.com/gay-bangkok/n-silom/map-n-sil/)

look at his second map and you will find the late night area of soi 2 Silom. DJ station has been mentioned a few times already this month. Use the search function at the top of the page. Look also for soi2/1 where GOD is located That goes to almost dawn.

As my favourite show bar is Jupiter 2000, see second map just under suriwong Last show after midnight, to me this is the classiest go go bar in Thailand Then if you have not offed a boy proceed to DJ station. That goes to 3AM now someone recently posted. I think you have all the info needed for your first night.

Rush, Yet Again
October 12th, 2011, 09:03
Max, Glow Trinity is within walking distance of Patpong - or a very cheap taxi ride away - since the skytrain will probably be closed by the time youтАЩre ready to go out. If you decide to walk, turn right when you leave the hotel, follow the bend in the driveway, hang a right at the first soi you hit and it will take you out to Silom. Cross the street, and Patpong is to your right; itтАЩs a 5 - 10 minute stroll away.

The gay pubs (not gogo bars) are off Silom on Soi 4.

To get to Soi Twilight, where the largest grouping of gogo bars are, walk through the Patpong night market, cross the street, turn right and itтАЩs about two blocks down opening on your left; hard to miss with all the signs touting boys.

BTW, if you take a taxi from the airport, Glow Trinity is not well known. Your best bet is to tell the driver it is by the Chong Nonsi skytrain station, then watch for the second 7/11 on your left and turn (left) at that corner. The hotel is set off the street on your left about 1/4 mile down and has a vivid pink neon тАЬGlowтАЩ sign. Or print out a map for the hotel - that will totally confuse your driver!

lonelywombat
October 12th, 2011, 09:20
My personal experience is the gay bars in Soi Twilight and in Soi 4 Silom, are thinning out about the time the OP was looking to hit town.

I usually go to those sois on my second night, but you arrive at your hotel before midnight and with planning you hope to be out about just after midnight.
I stand by my suggestions for your first night, which is what you asked.

Agreed your taxi will have problems locating your hotel. Download the Thai and English details to make it easier.

Once there is is in a good location.

goteed1
October 12th, 2011, 09:26
Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

max

cameroncat
October 12th, 2011, 09:46
Actually, you really should force yourself to go to bed so you get on track with Thai Time quickly. You stay up all night and you're going to be F***ed up for days...
My Thai Flight from L.A. Arrives about 6am. I force myself to stay up all day (no naps) and then go to bed at a reasonable time the first night. After that, I'm back on track. No jet lag.

goteed1
October 12th, 2011, 11:11
Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I'll play it by ear. If I'm totally burnt out when I get to the hotel I'll just sack out, but if I'm still wired, I'll just step out for a while. I don't have any intention of staying out all night on the first night. Just want to get a taste of the nightlife and not waste any of my precious Bangkok time if I'm awake.

Again, thanks

max

Beachlover
October 12th, 2011, 21:47
I don't deal with jetlag much but what's the point of going to sleep at midnight when staying up late is what you'll normally be doing in Bangkok anyway?
Usually only get to sleep from 5/6am till 9/10am in Bangkok. :occasion9:

10/11pm arrivals are perfect for me as I'm usually checked into my hotel within an hour of landing and midnight is when the nightclubs like DJ Station get going.

dab69
October 13th, 2011, 05:28
you might be way too excited to sleep much for days. :)