PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone?

bucknaway
October 7th, 2011, 15:56
Bangkok seems so empty of tourist. I have been visiting in October for many years and this has to be the first time I took notice on how empty the place is of tourist.

Maybe Friday will be different?

Here at Babylon I think only one other guy has a room on the floor I am on....

October 7th, 2011, 17:00
You ain't seen anything yet! Wait till you get to Pattaya.

donald1
October 7th, 2011, 17:34
yes Bucky, you will be surprised in Pattaya. At the beach I have a habit of changing locations just to spread the baht and hell..... a beach chair is a beach chair..... some have 3-4 customers. Sad.
After 10 days in Bangkok & Pattaya I changed gears and came to Cambodia (Siem Reap) for the first time and I AM LOVING IT. Small gay scene but the friendliest people "as a whole" I have ever encountered in my many travels. The food is so inexpensive I actually felt bad eating so much at a small Cambodian restaurant and the bill being $3.US I thought I read it wrong.

Enjoy your time while you are there I know you look forward to your trips to Thailand like I used to. Now a side trip here to Cambodia will always be on the itinerary.

CoffeeBreak
October 7th, 2011, 19:53
Low season, poor exchange rates, financial crises etc are likely causes for the shortage of visitors.

frequentflier
October 7th, 2011, 21:01
just got back from spending 2 weeks in Pattaya..The place was very quiet..Jomtien beach was empty,in saying that the sun did not shine a lot..Sunnee plaza was just about ticking over but sad to see the place going downhill.Too many dark and empty places.Lots of bars for sale.
I visited montys a few times but saw no one there in spite of all his efforts to get people in.
Boyztown still has a few busy bars,Panorama and Oscars were usually busy and Funny Boys was excellent..Boyz Boyz Boyz is changing,at last, with some new younger guys but needs to get rid of the older ones,just my opinion.
The Copa gets the crowds for the shows but after that its very quiet.I was not impressed with Happy Place as I offed a guy and when we went for a drink in Oscars he went missing and came back hours later with the excuse that he met some friends..He was a total rip off artist..
In saying all that I liked my visit to Pattaya and will return in march 2012 and probably make the same mistakes again....

Rene
October 7th, 2011, 21:43
Sunnee plaza was just about ticking over but sad to see the place going downhill.Too many dark and empty places.Lots of bars for sale.
I visited montys a few times but saw no one there in spite of all his efforts to get people in.

What you see now is what all the fools were clamoring for, a cleaned up Sunee. Next time be careful what you wish for.

October 7th, 2011, 22:24
Sunnee plaza was just about ticking over but sad to see the place going downhill.Too many dark and empty places.Lots of bars for sale.

What you see now is what all the fools were clamoring for, a cleaned up Sunee. Next time be careful what you wish for.

How true!

October 8th, 2011, 00:31
j...I visited montys a few times but saw no one there in spite of all his efforts to get people in.....

Lucky you - I'm determined to visit but I have completely failed to find it.

Somebody on here posted a pic of a sign pointing to it - I couldn't even find the bloody sign never mind the bar - and I walked up and down the main drag umpteen times looking for it!

:dontknow: :dontknow:

October 8th, 2011, 00:54
j...I visited montys a few times but saw no one there in spite of all his efforts to get people in.....

Somebody on here posted a pic of a sign pointing to it - I couldn't even find the bloody sign never mind the bar - and I walked up and down the main drag umpteen times looking for it!

take a look at the map on nickys gay pattaya site.. its under the sunee plaza tab .. 1st clicky on the drop down menu ...looks a bit out of the way but as you know its not a big area so dont look to hard to find.

Dani69
October 8th, 2011, 01:26

How did you miss it - its down the road opposite the old Mike┬┤s Bar La Cage at entrance to Sunee

October 8th, 2011, 01:39
I passed La Cage several times (closed obviously) - saw no sign of a bar and not even a sign of a sign opposite!!

The wanking must have finally taken it's toll.

:glasses7: :glasses7: :glasses7:

cameroncat
October 8th, 2011, 06:06
Buck, You've been to Thailand enough not too expect big crowds in Sept/Oct when the weather is crappy. That's why most of us visit in Dec/Jan when the weather is nice and everything is busy.

Beachlover
October 8th, 2011, 10:37
Bucky, I've been in Bangkok on or in the months around October for the last three years and it's never overly busy around now. Not dead quiet, but not overly busy either. I did find DJ was sometimes a bit quiet (but never dead quiet) during the week but it'll always be busy on Fri/Sat nights when more Thais come out.

So you'd rather Sunee Plaza, which is already bad enough, go back to the unimaginable level of filth it was a few years ago?

Better to have a dead and closed Sunee Plaza or a cleaned up Sunee Plaza than what it apparently was back then...

christianpfc
October 8th, 2011, 23:41
Maybe this is a consolation for you: I too failed to find it (Monty's) on my first attempt. I thought the vague ideas I had from reading these boards were enough ("close to Sunee" and "larger banner across the soi"), but at least I found a gay-friendly Iranien restaurant (see my trip report) while I was looking for Monty's. Finally I had to ask someone for directions.

ceejay
October 9th, 2011, 02:42
Monty's is easy to miss, because it's just around a corner on the soi where it stands, even though it is within 10 yards or so of soi VC. The soi is on the same side as, and close to, Samorn bar.

October 9th, 2011, 13:18
Why would anyone want to come on a long haul holiday in the sunshine when all those who know and travel agents advise visitors its Monsoon season.

If you wait till mid November you will see so many visitors here, after saying that I was in Bangkok last week and lots of Asian visitors in the Bars and walking about I ate at eh Balcony Gay Fun Pub and that was 3/4 full with lots of people walking up and down.

Last Friday I went to the Wine Dinner at Alois Restaurant Now becoming the favorite gay eating house from fabulous fine dining from 550 baht it was full with 77 people and no one was disappointed with the 7 course and various amazing wines all that I found wonderful for 2000 baht each all in apart from my 580 baht Hennessey XO great value far superior to the old favorite at the Royal Cliff.

I then went to NICEBOYS Go Go full of customers I was dragged also to the GOODBOYS Go Go half full I walked past Salmon Coffee bar full of customers, past Corner bar 1/3 full over the road a COME IN BAR all seats full. so if you come here your find something your love I can tell u.

bucknaway
October 9th, 2011, 14:04
I went to see the show at screwboys... Drinks 250 baht and a single sex show that could not hold my attention until they came over to me and DEMANDED a tip.... Sigh

Beachlover
October 11th, 2011, 00:51
I don't travel primarily to Thailand... it's usually just a side trip on the way back from somewhere else so time of year conditions in Bangkok doesn't get factored into when I go. I also don't care about other tourists as I rarely interact with them.

The only impact other tourists on me is if there's fewer tourists, the hotels will be cheaper, which is good for me. Yipee. :happy7: