PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out of Thailand.

October 7th, 2011, 10:15
Hi,

This has just come up on the BBC website and may interest a few posters who were commenting on this issue recently regarding healthcare for Foreigners and migrant workers in Thailand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15196573

blazer
October 8th, 2011, 08:15
Yes, not surprising the way Thailand treats foreign aliens that have been forced out of their own country. That's true even if some free help and medical care is offered from outside the county at no cost to Thailand. They just don't want them to stay in the country at all.

Of course, foreigners are welcome if they have cash in their pockets and want to pay their own way.

October 8th, 2011, 08:28
Yes, not surprising the way Thailand treats foreign aliens that have been forced out of their own country. That's true even if some free help and medical care is offered from outside the county at no cost to Thailand. They just don't want them to stay in the country at all.

Of course, foreigners are welcome if they have cash in their pockets and want to pay their own way.

blazer,

You are spot on and it is one of the big failings Thailand has and forever shows their ' lack of humanity and compassion ' towards anything that is non Thai at times.

October 8th, 2011, 08:40
Maybe it would be better if it is a buddhist medical organizton do you think

arsenal
October 8th, 2011, 09:58
Thailand is the country to which many Burmese, Vietnamese, Laotians and Cambodians aspire to live in due to the higher wages and living conditions. Therefore the Thais take an almost 100 per cent send them back attitude. I don't defend it but I do understand why they do it.

Beachlover
October 8th, 2011, 10:28
I agree, Arsenal. There needs to be a balance between being compassionate and being practical.

Thailand is wealthier than three out of four of its neighbours and has to deal with a large number of illegal immigrant workers and refugees... probably more than it can afford. It has porous land borders with THREE significantly weaker economies where stability and employment opportunities are poor.

It's like if the US had two other Mexico-like countries surrounding it with land borders.

pong
October 10th, 2011, 17:24
dear Kquill-it would have been nice and instructive had you told a little of that message AND its ''senders''. I had no time and am not in or from the Uk to check BBc. I do realise there is-also in dailies like the Observer and Guardian, an enormous amount of political correctedness in some british press-releases. I gather this message probably comes from the last outpost of the Medecins sans froniteres=doctors without borders, a very passionate and thus French-leftist organisation, but in this case the Belgian branch, being now even thrown out of LOS, but curtailed in what it can do. But again; this is now just my impression-somehow founded by other news in other sources.
As with about any human society-there is no black./white or good/bad 100% to it. The thai fishing would collapse if there were not any ''il''legal Burmese doing the hard dirty work. For the sake of BL: there are also 1000s if not 10.000 of illegal Mainland Chinese in BKK-working or trading. Most Thai garment sweatshops would also collapse without the Khmer and Laotians. And yes-though there is some form of medical help for these people, it is less opulent and cost more for these migrants as for proper Thai. Which of course is a giant discrimination that warrants doctors from the west, where they are also badly needed in about any oldage pensionershome-to go to land of smiles to ''help out'' and report any major or minor infringement of human rights and all that.

Beachlover
October 11th, 2011, 00:20
Your integrity is to be admired, Kquill... All the best.