PDA

View Full Version : bank accounts

gregvc
October 1st, 2011, 18:24
can a one month or 3 month tourist open a Thai banking account?

allieb
October 1st, 2011, 19:05
Yes

Bangkok Bank Silom branch. ATM card pass book but not internet banking. That was several years ago when I opened an account.

martin911
October 2nd, 2011, 02:06
Yes

Bangkok Bank Silom branch. ATM card pass book but not internet banking. That was several years ago when I opened an account.

Yes i believe many banks will now --- Kasikorn beside Tukom will do it for you in 10 min ,just need passport and rental bill (i used a bill from Mosaik at the time ) couldnt be easier !!!

colmx
October 2nd, 2011, 03:31
I did exact same as martin911, same bank, same bill!

gregvc
October 2nd, 2011, 10:47
thanks for info, but can I ask what is the TOKUM building?

netrix
October 2nd, 2011, 12:02
TUKCOM IT Center - Computer Mall in South Pattaya
Photo and map: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14099281

danny99
October 2nd, 2011, 13:41
can a one month or 3 month tourist open a Thai banking account?

I have never been a resident but have had an account with Kasikorn [originally Thai Farmers] in Suriwongse Rd, very professonal and very helpful. Although I did get knocked back by a few banks I checked with earlier, including Bangkok Bank in Silom, but this was about 1999 or 2000.

Also had internet banking with Thai Farmers, and then Kasikorn, which was a convenient way to help local friends from time to time. However that became impractical when they introduced SMS generated approvals for transfers. No good if not in country.

Smiles
October 2nd, 2011, 15:15
Accounts can be opened at Krungthai Bank also, no problem with the Tourist visa.
Some provisos course to keep in mind (TiT): one branch's rules on certain things may differ from another, even if it's the same bank. So just because the KrungThai Bank (or whichever) on that corner won't let you open an account, it doesn't necessarily mean the one up the road next to the noodle shop won't.

pong
October 2nd, 2011, 17:34
adjustment/warning to all of above:
what once can will not mean you can tomorrow, even at same bank and same branch. It really differs from bank to bank but ALSO between branches of same bank. Plus it sometimes seems they only are willing to take a certain % of farang-accounts-if taken up, sorry, full!
Kasikorn (former Thai farmers) gets mostly mentioned as willing to, Bangkokbank is often very reluctant. Even if they will, they may still refuse you due to temporary status, due to not having a non-hotel adress or whatever the boss orders for the day/week. Keep on trying is the only answer.

francois
October 3rd, 2011, 00:12
I opened an account at Kasikorn one month ago using Tourist Visa; gave address of my rental condo with no proof of address. They did ask for a cell phone number as I recall.