PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on living in Thailand (2) ...

Smiles
October 1st, 2011, 12:19
Four years ago I posted a topic regarding my thoughts ~ mainly economic at the time ~ on living in Thailand in Hua Hin with the Beloved: << gay-thailand-f9/thoughts-budgeting-for-living-thailand-long-term-t16775.html?hilit=electric%20utilities (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/thoughts-budgeting-for-living-thailand-long-term-t16775.html?hilit=electric%20utilities) >>

We arrived in Hua Hin in late November of 2007, found a nice town-house rental within the second week, moved in on Jan 1, 2008. We've live there still.

The opening thread (below in quotes) was made just under a year after we started living in Hua Hin and was meant to give my experience on how the cost of living was in this particular town . . . i.e. a 'tourist' town not at all like the sex mill of Pattaya; not in any way like the BigCity-ness of Bangkok; not the remoteness of Phuket or Chiang Mai. All these other places have things to offer to those who choose them ... as Hua Hin has pretty much all that we wanted in a place to call home.

So it is four years on now: from that particular post to the far more important joys and entanglements of living with a Thai man . . . the same Thai man to boot :blackeye: ~ as horrifying as that thought my seem for many of you.
Suphot and I have actually been a happy going concern since late 2000 (the year we met ~ praise Serendipity ~ in Bangkok): the first seven years we were together 'On Holiday' ... the last four within the moveable feast of living-in-sin.

In this post I attempt to:

(1) Re-visit the money side of things ... mostly to show that the cost of living has gone up in some areas, stayed the same in others, but certainly not gone down in all. I think that dynamic is in general the normal way of the world.
Regarding the economic part, I have written that in Bolded Blue within the quote itself, in order to make the comparisons more easy to read. The original numbers four-year-old numbers were in Bolded Red and I have left them that way.

(2) Underneath the quote part I've gone back to real-time posting and attempted to get a bit more personal in my observations on living with a Thai guy (whom I cherish ... that should be obvious!) and hopefully be able to 'get objective' enough to describe it warts-and-all.

Since starting the 'long-term' part of my life in Thailand (i.e. 8 months in Thailand, 4 months 'back there') I've had ample opportunity to be able to come up with some very general expense amounts (in baht) which may (or may not) be relevent or interesting to folks who are contemplating making this step from holiday to day-to-day living.

The time line for me has not changed. I still venture back to Canada for 3 or 4 months a year. My parents, although in a very good care home, are going downhill at a rather fast clip (with much flat-lining between dips). Although I can not do much any more to alter their general 'happiness' quotients, I can at least make certain that all they need, they get.

Naturally, these amounts will be different to everyone according to their circumstances: incomes are different, areas within Thailand will vary in expense, spending habits are wildly different (e.g. if you think you would be inclined to go out to boy bars and off guys 4 or 5 times a week, then all bets are off regarding the 'entertainment' category).

It's turned out that we usually go out to one or two of the 5 gay bars in Hua Hin on average only about once a week. Pot is not a big drinker at all ~ he'll nurse a beer forever, then go on to orange juice ~ and I'll down hardly ever more than 4 in an evening. Mostly we go to shoot pool ~ which we are both reasonably good at ~ and to talk to the folks there.
Beer in Hua Hin bars is on average priced at 80 baht a bottle, and as there are no regular 'shows' in Hua Hin bars the price stays the same all night.
Beer can be had for as little as 60 baht if one searches hard enough, and in fact I've found a little bar in the back of the biggest and best night market in town priced at 50 baht ... a perfect people-watching joint.
Hard liquour is not on my radar at any time, but can be Pot's on an irregular basis ... usually with his Thai friends. We always have a bottle or two of reasonably good wine in the home: good choices in the 500 baht range at numerous outlets in town.
We go fairly regularly (i.e. about once a month) to our favourite Thai Music and Dance Bar named 'Look Nam' which is our main squeeze for letting hair down. It's not gay at all, but everyone dances with everyone anyway so no diff there. Lots of bar boys can be seen here after hours.
We hardly ever are able to get out of this place earlier that 2AM and never for under 1500 baht ....but for that, well-lubricated and well-fed.

So in the figures below I have left 'entertainment' completely out. I've just added to the list those things which might well be fairly common amongst us all on a monthly basis. Even adding 'food' is difficult (though I've made a stab at it) as I think most farang who end up living long term in Thailand will eventually fall into the 'eat-out' habit more the than 'cook-in-at-home' choice ... and deciding to do so usually means a very wide mix of eating very cheaply on the street, in small Thai restaurants, at night markets ~ or at more expensive, more farang-oriented restaurants. This kind of normal mixing makes it very difficult to generalize about monthly food expense.

I shall just describe our 'lifestyle' a bit ... your's of course will inevitably be different to some degree, or a large degree. All of the below description is included because it is relevent to spending and budgeting:

I am on a reasonably decent pension ... but certainly not a rich man.

I made a personal promise to myself that I would retire on only my pension(s). Any investment income I have is ploughed back into an investment account, which resides in Canada.
So far this promise has been kept (although when we decide to buy our own place that will certainly have to be re-visited ... but that particular re-visitation was already planned anyway) and the income and regular expenses are almost are comfortably in balance for the most part. Sometimes the unforeseen pops up, and is handled by a simple one-shot parsimony.
[/*:m:3if3z132]
We have chosen (for the near future at least) to rent rather than buy.[/*:m:3if3z132]
We are a monogamous couple (8 years and counting, with all intention of staying that way), thus spending no money at all (hardly :blackeye: ) on GoGo bars and off fees. [/*:m:3if3z132]
Our home is a two-story attached townhouse ... 2 bdrms, 2 bath, quite large. [/*:m:3if3z132]
We are easy walking distance to town, thus no transportation issues. We own a vehicle, but rarely use it 'in town'. [/*:m:3if3z132]
Our home is in Hua Hin ... which would make it reasonably comparable to costs to, say, Pattaya or Chiang Mai. If you choose to live in ~ for instance ~ Phuket or Bangkok your monthly costs may well be somewhat higher.[/*:m:3if3z132]
We would normally do some travel further afield within Thailand on average once a month[/*:m:3if3z132]
My partner has a tour guide/taxi business which brings him his own personal income ... especially in High Season.

Suphot's business has now, after 4 years, become a quite lucrative enterprise. He is very busy in the high season (approx November thru middle March) and surprisingly, this September has been very profitable as well: he is in fact away as I write this post ... to Udon for a week. He is of course (as I am) very proud of his accomplishments in this: he is a truly excellent example of the Thai Networking Facility travelling in high gear at all times. He networks everyone who appears even half alive and his rolodex is a heavy pinwheel indeed .... no sitting on street corners in small dark cubby holes waiting for customers for him.

There were significant expenses in December 2007 when we spent quite a lot on 'things' to make our home better furnished and more comfortable. There are still things we want to have sooner or later, but the largest purchases have already been made. None of this one-time outlay is taken into consideration in the list below, even though much of the stuff we bought will probably be on the list that most long-term stayers will be considering once they become that.[/*:m:3if3z132]

Regarding the last item: there have of course been items added to our life style over the years, but the initial, and majority of our spending orgy happened in the first year.
I've splurged on a new fridge recently, as well as a new camera I've been salivating over for some time: but Big Ticket items are not really needed any more (we've bought 'em all!) and will not be until we end up buying our own place here, which is in the cards for the near future.
Last year we spent somewhat significantly on items for the car: new tires, new shocks, new sound system ... of which I paid part, and he the other part. (More on this 'sharing' thing in the next post on 'The Relationship')

(All figures are average monthly costs)

Rent: 8000 baht (This amount is a good deal for the quite large place we have. We pay by the year which brings the monthly cost down to 8000. Paying by-the-month the place we have would rent in the 10,000 range. Similar townhomes on our Soi (in varying degrees of renovation) are For Rent now at 15,000, but they've been vacant for long stretches at a time)

4 years later our rent (at 8000 baht a month, paid annually) and landlord are the same.
She's a terrific Thai lady who just loves to have her town house paid up all year long and as well have us in there who take care of it in the best way we know how. Very 'basic' it was going in, but now feels like a real home with mood lighting, plants all over the patio, a new cover over the garage, our 'good' furniture everywhere, and her 'crap' furniture hidden away. The included sheets and pillow cases were long ago discarded for 500 Egyptian cotton beauties (" ... 4000 fucking baht for fucking sheets ... " was his cry ... and now can't live without 'em ~ I told him so!)

Water & Garbage(same bill): 45 baht

Still the same amount!! I don't get it ... but I don't complain either.

Electricity: 300 baht (Amount here is an average. All through September and October the heat and humidity in Hua Hin was very high, so we used aircon in the bedroom all the time at night (on 'low) ... the cost went up as high as 600 baht. The temperature and stickiness disappeared in mid November, and we haven't used the aircon at all since: cost dove to 200 baht)

If you have read the replies to the original post you would have noticed that of all the listed expenses, our 'electricity' costs generated the most controversy and unbelief: I was fudging the numbers ('why' I can't imagine); I was mistaken (more likely); our meter was wonky (definitely more likely).

Well, to those who were apoplectic then, may well be happier now: our electric bill has sky-rocketed over these 4 years and is now 3.5 times higher at an average of 1000 baht a month.
But our 'useage' remains much the same: the big 'draw' is the airconditioning, and that we use in almost exact similarity to before ... i.e lots of usage in this hot and sticky Sept-November weather and not much use at all from late November thru middle February, when it starts to ratchet up again.
1000 baht a month may seem like a hefty increase considering the 300 a month we were averaging back then, but it's still far less than the denizens of Pattaya and Bangkok were whining about even 4 years ago. God knows hat they pay now ... but I'm quite content with our relatively inexpensive Hua Hin version of the electric bill.

Television: 1560 (This is for True/UBC satellite reception with a dish. One can get regular cable from the local cable company for 2500 baht a year (i.e. 208 baht a month) (!!), but the choices are pretty horrendous for an english-only speaker)

This expense has in fact gone down. After realizing that I was only watching perhaps 20% of the Gold channel offerings, I switched to Silver and am now paying 750 baht a month ... and am quite happy. Pot still gets all his Thai music channels on the mega-cheap Hua Hin Cable (still only 2500 baht a year) and I still get my news, documentary, Bloomberg, some movie channels on the True Silver package.

Laundry: 1000 baht

Still the same. But it would have been more if we ~ as we did in the beginning ~ had kept taking our underwear there as well. We now hand-wash them (thousands of them) at home and save 10 baht a piece. Because the laundry's piece-price has gone up our monthly expenditure would easily be 1300 baht or more now if we didn't scrub our own underwear: we take turns ... this week mine, next week his.

Internet: 500 baht (I purposely did not choose to lug my laptop between Canada & Thailand. This is a decision that may change, but right now I use an internet cafe. Not looked into home internet connection as yet, but if I do bring (or buy) the laptop the cost above will change ... maybe more, maybe less)

Still using my favourite M&K Internet Shop. 1000 baht lasts me almost 3 months: the connection is very fast, the owner very agreeable, the flat screens excellent, the cappucino's delish and I'm happy.
I did end up bringing my old laptop over mainly because I store all my photos on it. Once in awhile ~ for certain needs ~ I haul it over to M&K where the owner lets me plug in for free. Those times are few and far between . . . and in fact, except for long posts like this one has turned out to be, my time (and desire) spent online is much less than it was 4 years ago. And happy I am that it has turned out that way.

Telephone: 500 baht (I buy 100 baht top ups at 7-11 about once every 2 weeks. That's 200 baht in-Thailand calls, but if I overuse the long distance then that pops it up 100 baht easily. Suphot gets one or two 100 top ups as gifts fairly often, so that makes it about to the 500 range)

Very little difference with phone costs. Negligible really.

Travel: 10,000 baht (This is comprised of monthly trips which usually last 3-5 days. We stay in Thai hotels at about 600-800 baht a night .... gasoline costs .... entertainment, and eating. Sometimes we will not go away at all, so this figure is a bit fluid and difficult to generalize. But over all, I think if I average out the trip costs over one year it would be close to the figure)

Transportation: 1000 baht (I give Suphot about 1000 a month for gas for the car ... the rest he pays himself. We spend next to nothing on taxis, tuk tuks, songtaoews etc)

I don't give him 1000 baht a month for gas anymore. :rolling:
The hell with that, considering his recent emergence into Thai middle class-ism. Now I only pay for gas if we're on a trip together.
Other means of transportation within Hua Hin are still negligible. I walk a lot, and am quite happy to do so.

Food & (home) booze: 17,150 baht (This is a tough one as it is rather a moveable feast. I'll try to show you how I arrived at this figure by adding up the following ... and it is very much a 'best-guess' average):
Four times a week we eat "on the street" (i.e. night market, small Thai restaurants etc) at an average 'check bin' of 250 baht for 2: that's 4000 baht a month[/*:m:3if3z132]
Three times a week we eat at higher end place at an average 'check bin' of 700 baht for 2: that's 8,400 baht for the month.

This has come down quite a bit. Frankly, Pot would rather eat at small Thai restaurants any old day, and I for the most part completely agree. I love Thai food and rarely crave western food of any kind, with the exception of pizza perhaps twice a month: thankfully Pot also loves pizza and will never say no.

Average dinner out 'gep tung' at any Thai hole-in-the-wall would be 200 baht without beer (add 100 baht for that). Average pizza meal at Corner (the best place in town by far) including wine and/or beer would be around 600 baht for two.
I go ~ alone, with newspaper or Kindle ~ to the Sofitel Hotel coffee shop amongst the Frangipani (sp) for cappuccino and tiramasu twice a month (average): 250 baht for the delicious British Raj ambience.
We shop at a supermarket twice a month with an average bill of 1500 each: that's 3000 baht.

The twice-monthly supermarket (in general, at Lotus Tesco ... the main one in Hua Hin) shopping excursion still carries on has certainly gone up in average cost. I haven't really taken a good look at this but I do know this much: we fill our buggy up with generally the same types of food which we always have and usually arrive at very much the same number of filled bags after we get through the till ... but it's now closer to 2000-2200 baht a trip, rather than the 1500 baht we seemed to average some years ago.
I don't whine at this ~ it's fairly common and not unexpected COL increase ~ but it is noticeable.

Miscellaneous: daily shopping for small items (bread, milk, eggs, fruit): about 1000 baht a month.[/*:m:3if3z132]
Booze is essentially one 24 pack of Chang beer a month in the fridge at 750 baht.

In general, close to same same for these last two. I definitely don't buy 24 beers a month any more ... but not because of price. Now it's closer to 12 a month.[/*:m:3if3z132]

I hope this post will give anyone who has vague (or specific) intentions of living longer-term in Thailand in the near future a reasonable idea of monthly costs which will not change that much.
If I have missed some things which I think I should be included, I will edit the post. But right now I think it is a reasonble collection of costs which anyone should take into consideration.

Well, my typing fingers are hurtin'. So my promised addition (#2) regarding some comments on " ... a bit more personal ... observations on living with a Thai guy ... " will have to wait until tomorrow. As well, I'd like to ponder on that a tad longer.

Hope these thoughts and observations ~ and those to be added ~ will be found interesting, and perhaps useful to some of those contemplating living long (or longer) term in Thailand.

October 1st, 2011, 13:19
Hi Smiles,

Great informative and useful post for many.

You are both living the life you wish to live for approximately $1500 a month, near enough, correct?

Smiles
October 1st, 2011, 13:29
Hi Smiles,
Great informative and useful post for many.
You are both living the life you wish to live for approximately $1500 a month, near enough, correct?
Actually, quite a bit more than that Kevin.

Most of that post is made up of ~ as intended ~ 'set costs' . . . though even then, especially trying to estimate food and fun costs, it's difficult to get deeply accurate.

After 'set costs' there is lots of 'fun money' which goes unaccounted for, and frankly I don't really want to necessarily account for it in the strictest of senses. I went through that tedious hoop most of my working life but damned if want to during my retirement.
Lets just say it this way: (1) Baht goes through my fingers like sand going through a sieve, and (2) if there's baht left in the bank one day before the cheques arrive ... I'm perfectly happy.

(PS and thanks Admin & Helpmate, for increasing the Edit Post time frame. Appreciated)

TrongpaiExpat
October 1st, 2011, 13:40
Electricity: 300 baht (Amount here is an average. All through September and October the heat and humidity in Hua Hin was very high, so we used aircon in the bedroom all the time at night (on 'low) ... the cost went up as high as 600 baht. The temperature and stickiness disappeared in mid November, and we haven't used the aircon at all since: cost dove to 200 baht)

If you have read the replies to the original post you would have noticed that of all the listed expenses, our 'electricity' costs generated the most controversy and unbelief: I was fudging the numbers ('why' I can't imagine); I was mistaken (more likely); our meter was wonky (definitely more likely).

Well, to those who were apoplectic then, may well be happier now: our electric bill has sky-rocketed over these 4 years and is now 3.5 times higher at an average of 1000 baht a month.
But our 'useage' remains much the same: the big 'draw' is the airconditioning, and that we use in almost exact similarity to before ... i.e lots of usage in this hot and sticky Sept-November weather and not much use at all from late November thru middle February, when it starts to ratchet up again.
1000 baht a month may seem like a hefty increase considering the 300 a month we were averaging back then, but it's still far less than the denizens of Pattaya and Bangkok were whining about even 4 years ago. God knows hat they pay now ... but I'm quite content with our relatively inexpensive Hua Hin version of the electric bill.

This Whining Bangkok Denizen paid 3,208.48 tax included last month. That might have been my highest so far. That's for 820kwh with an average rate of 3.660524.... per kwh. I would be interested to know if the Hua Hin rates are the same? I think the rates increase with higher usage.

My usage has been:
March 452 kwh
April 714
May 742
June 727
July 617
Aug 669
Sep 820
Average kwh: 677

I don't see myself as a extravagant kwh person. That's around 70sm, three ac units, not all used at once, a big aquarium, and cooking several times per week. One ac is set at 29c, the bedroom at 24c and second bedroom closed off most of the time.

Better than when I was on a high floor in a big high rise where the lowest I paid was 3000B. If you shut off the ac the place would turn into an oven. Now I am on a lower floor, and surrounded by shade trees and the usage went way down.

October 1st, 2011, 14:06
Hi,

Guys no joking, when I was living at my house in Pattaya, which has three bedrooms, living room and office, all of course, with aircons and this was at least three years plus ago, I was lucky to get a bill of less than 7,000 baht a month for electricity.

When Tam stayed there alone, it was around 1200 baht per month and we had a swimming pool pump going nearly all the time.

I think Smiles does well but there are other expenses he has that I did cheaper but TOO MANY were more expensive and certainly sheer wasteful.

martin911
October 1st, 2011, 14:20
I got my Electric bill yesterday -for the last month its 8200 ,lowest ive seen it was 6500ish and 1 month it was 9000
that is for a 4 bedroom house (only 3 bedrooms in use )-and it has a pool ,but not one what you would call big by any means- 4 arm strokes will bring you from 1 end to the other
only i air con used (but not constantly ) during the day --and the 3 in the bedrooms go pretty much all the time ,given the length of time thai guys sleep !!
I rem the letting agent saying i could expect bills in the region of 5000ish a month

Anyone else out there that can compare similar size house/pool re my bills ??-

October 1st, 2011, 17:33
I have a 3 bedroom bungalow style house which has a pool....small wading pool.
I leave the exterior lights on til 4 am, and the pool lights on from 7 pm til midnight. I have 2 refrigerators, a water cooler, washer and dryer and do the bars face clothes etc at home. One bedroom is used very seldom, and the other is used a lot with a/c and television.
My electric has always been at 6,000 and this month was 9,100. Thought I was gonna die. Oh yes, and I keep the a/c in my room on 24 hours a day. When I am not in the room, I set it at 26 so that it doesnt take forever to cool down when I return. When I am in the room it is at 24.

cdnmatt
October 1st, 2011, 17:33
We have it pretty lucky right now. For the last four months, our electric bill has been 41B each month. The meter's broken, they haven't fixed it yet, and I'm not about to tell them. :) They definitely know though, because here at least, a person manually walks around each month to check the meters and print off the bills. In typical Thai fashion though, he probably just shrugs and says to himself, "not my problem or responsibility if it's not working". I'm just worried once they figure it out, they'll average out our usage over the prior 12 months, and hand me a bill for five months of electric.

Ours was generally 1800 - 2300/month, so quite a bit cheaper than most of you. There's only one aircon in the house we use though, and that's in our bedroom, so it's only turned on while we're sleeping. Got it cranked down to 18C though, and surprisingly, Kim even prefers it that cold now. I'm fine with just a fan during the day, but when I'm sleeping, I want it cold. :)

Jellybean
October 1st, 2011, 18:58
An excellent post Smiles and a great aid to any member thinking of moving to Thailand and a great comparison for those of us who live here already. I can see that I have great deal of scope for reducing my costs!

It was however your very low electricity bills that aroused my greatest interest and my greatest jealously! My 2 bedroom apartment in Bangkok has an average monthly electric bill of around 1,200 Baht, which I think is reasonable. However, my tenants in Hua Hin run up monthly bills averaging 5,365 Baht for a three bedroom house with a small swimming pool. But they are on a temporary electricity supply, which is more expensive. For example, their bill for last month was 8,105 Baht, but the charge at the permanent rate would have been 6,053 Baht so still considerably higher than your bill. Unfortunately, I have to fund the difference in cost!

Lastly, if itтАЩs not too personal a question, can I ask why you decided to rent rather than buy?

October 1st, 2011, 19:06
Guys,

The size of the swimming pool doesn't matter unless you are heating the pool. It is the pump size that is all important. Refrigerators do not use much electric unless you leave the door open!

Lights are minimal usage even if you leave them on.

Swimming pool lights can draw a lot of current, as do Irons and the biggest of them all...your aircon units!

Those of you who have Thais living with you in separate rooms, turn the air off and replace them with decent stand up fans at 800/900 baht each. That is what they use in the villages.

If you explain to them about the expense, even showing them the bill, they will admire your cost cutting not resent your saving money and frugal approach.

Smiles,

These are things to obviously think about if you consider a pool when you purchase your new house. At the moment, in the current global climate rental is definitely the right approach.

October 1st, 2011, 19:08
For example, their bill for last month was 8,105 Baht, but the charge at the permanent rate would have been 6,053 Baht so still considerably higher than your bill.
Lastly, if itтАЩs not too personal a question, can I ask why you decided to rent rather than buy?

Jellybean. I know you asked Smiles and look forward to his answer also but if you would have ask me why I rent rather than buy, it is two fold. One, in case I decide later down the road to reloacte, I don't have all this poop to deal with in getting rid of one house to buy another house or condo. I just pack up and move at the end of my lease.

Two: Health issues. I would rather make sure that when that time comes, I don't want to leave behind too many things for someone to sell and get rid of. Leave cash if I don't spend it all on the boys and let my boys have the TVs and furniture and stuff around the house. Quick, easy.

The other thing I wanted to ask is what is meant by a PERMANENT where he would get almost 2,000 reduction. Never heard of this before and who is it available to and how?

bao-bao
October 1st, 2011, 21:29
Smiles, in my mind (or what's left of it) that was - hands-down - the most informative post on SGT this calendar year. Knowing you to be a logical and level headed guy I take such info from you as reliable, and I appreciate the thought and time you put into doing the update from the original post.

It's been a LONG time since I've actually copied and saved a post here as reference. Thank you! :cheers:

martin911
October 2nd, 2011, 01:32
Guys,

The size of the swimming pool doesn't matter unless you are heating the pool. It is the pump size that is all important. Refrigerators do not use much electric unless you leave the door open!

Lights are minimal usage even if you leave them on.

Swimming pool lights can draw a lot of current, as do Irons and the biggest of them all...your aircon units!

Those of you who have Thais living with you in separate rooms, turn the air off and replace them with decent stand up fans at 800/900 baht each. That is what they use in the villages.

If you explain to them about the expense, even showing them the bill, they will admire your cost cutting not resent your saving money and frugal approach.

Smiles,

These are things to obviously think about if you consider a pool when you purchase your new house. At the moment, in the current global climate rental is definitely the right approach.

Ok your spend was similar to mine for similar size house , -- And thats a good idea re the bedrooms ---il invest in the fans --
Its the air con /pool that drives it up def
My guy just back this evening from bkk and we were talking about the bills --his bill in bkk for a room w bathroom,lives alone (so he says haha ) and has only 1 air con and his bill was 2000 last month - - he manages his own money/bills (out of his allowance ! so will buy a fan also -now his place its in a student block and from what i rem from my student days its not beyond a landlord to fix rates as they see fit !!! --Mosaik do it also - i think there it was 5.5 bht per unit ---

Thanks for the tips Kevin

October 2nd, 2011, 01:40
Martin911,

You're welcome.

Yes, the problem with renting from private landlords that have sole access to your electric meters such as apartment blocks and some bungalows in Pattaya where they own the whole development is that the rental charged is only part of the story.

They are always making additional monies by charging you ' their ' rate as opposed to the electric company rates.

It's wrong and unfair in my view and should be spelt out when you go to view but of course they never do that! They have been known to do it with water too.

neoncrusade
October 2nd, 2011, 03:32
Thanks for the excellent post Smiles. Hope your fingers have recovered after all that typing.
Being close myself now to moving out to LOS, getting a handle on living costs has been on my mind for months; renting or buying has been another daily question floating around my brain.
Finally decided to rent. My reason is much the same as another poster on this thread. Political situations change etc etc and if a swift exit is ever needed, it will hopefully be quicker, without leaving money tied up in property behind.
One thing I would like to know is roughly how much it costs to fill up the tank of the usual type of motorbike I see everywhere in Thiland (Honda Wave or similar type), and what kind of milage a tank will provide?

christianpfc
October 2nd, 2011, 03:36
Very interesting post! I couldn't write it with more detail.

cameroncat
October 2nd, 2011, 08:19
Smiles, I could never get by without The internet in my home. IF you decide to get home internet, you can get access to U.S. Services such as netflix, Hulu, CBS.Com, BBC.com etc. by using "UnblockUS" (unblock-us.com) for $4.99 a month. Cheaper than paying for cable "gold" package in Thailand. If your computer has an HDMI out port, you can direct the output to your large screen TV so you don't have to watch everything on the Laptop screen.

Smiles
October 2nd, 2011, 15:28
" ... I could never get by without The internet in my home"
Precisely the reason I don't want it in my home! The TV is bad enough.
My I-Cafe gives me all I want using it on average every second day for half to one hour. I get a good walk to top it off, watch the brand new cement work on the brand new mall deteriorate before my eyes (it's 5 months old now), grab some bananas and a paper.

Sorry Cameron, but your description screams "stay away" for me. I've remained behind the techno curve by an average of 5 years since about 1990 (used Win98 until 2006), and I try valiantly to keep it that way. Tried Facebook ~ under pressure ~ for two hours: hated it, deleted it. Never opened a twitter, whatever a twitter is. Never come close to anything spelled 'Skype', or anything from which a tiny camera hangs. My flat screen is 5 years old and is not even all that flat.

" ... Lastly, if itтАЩs not too personal a question, can I ask why you decided to rent rather than buy? ... "
Not really personal at all Jellybean.

I'm just a slow on the uptake, or the desire to buy. Besides that, we really love our place.
It's a 5 minute walk to the beach and about the same to downtown. It's not stuck out in the boonies, surrounded by a security wall, loaded with farangs. It has a great mix of Thai folks (approx 75% and farang the rest). Two or three gay bars a few steps away.
The rent is ridiculously cheap for what we have (it would be probably 4 or 5 times that price for the same size rental in Canada, for instance), so I'm content to sit back, enjoy our place . . . and sooner or later slowly look around town for something we both agree on.

loke
October 2nd, 2011, 17:08
Is it cheaper to rent a town house than a condo ?

8000 baht that is cheap right?

I think I see condo from 10000 to 20000 bat for longterm rent.

And Hua Hin is it cheaper to live good there than in Pattaya ?

Jellybean
October 2nd, 2011, 17:15
For example, their bill for last month was 8,105 Baht, but the charge at the permanent rate would have been 6,053 Baht so still considerably higher than your bill.

Jellybean. I know you asked Smiles and look forward to his answer also but if you would have ask me why I rent rather than buy, it is two fold. One, in case I decide later down the road to reloacte, I don't have all this poop to deal with in getting rid of one house to buy another house or condo. I just pack up and move at the end of my lease.

Two: Health issues. I would rather make sure that when that time comes, I don't want to leave behind too many things for someone to sell and get rid of. Leave cash if I don't spend it all on the boys and let my boys have the TVs and furniture and stuff around the house. Quick, easy.

The other thing I wanted to ask is what is meant by a PERMANENT where he would get almost 2,000 reduction. Never heard of this before and who is it available to and how?

Thanks for replying to my question Smiles. Yes, you do seem to have a remarkably low rent and a great location. And if I were in your shoes I too would be most reluctant to change my circumstances. Your post did however give me food for thought and, as you will see from my reply to Justme below, IтАЩve actually gone some way to answering my own question to you. Hopefully, it will also assist others who are currently considering the pros and cons of buying or renting property in Thailand.

Hi Justme

In reply to the points made in your post above I would say that the reasons you gave for renting are the very ones I wish I had considered when I decided to buy 6 years ago.

And for the life of me I canтАЩt recall why I never thought of renting. Hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say, but honestly there have been many occasions when I have thought I wish I too had rented or, at the very least, tested the water by renting for the first 6 or 12 months.

To rent or Buy?

If someone was to ask my opinion today I would definitely recommend renting for at least 6 months to find out if you are happy with the city/town you have chosen to live in. To establish if you are happy with the location within the city/town you have chosen. To ask yourself if you are happy with the size of the house or apartment you have chosen. And ask yourself, do I really need a swimming pool and all the costs that are associated with it?

As you said there are a number of downsides to buying. For a start there is the initial large capital outlay. There is the cost of furnishing the house/apartment. Then there are the legal costs, which I found were as expensive as solicitorsтАЩ (lawyersтАЩ) costs in the UK. And then, in the case of buying a house, there is the rigmarole of setting up a company, becoming a director and paying for the annual submission of company accounts. And despite taking the best legal advice there is always the small lingering suspicion that there is a legal flaw somewhere and that at sometime in the future some official will come knocking on your door and tell you that, actually, you do not own the property after all! And, as you also mentioned there is always the possibility, though admittedly remote at the moment, for some future Thai government to introduce some draconian property laws that only apply to foreign owned properties.

There is also, of course, the very real lack of flexibility, you simply cannot just up sticks and move somewhere else within Thailand or move to another country. Ok, in 6 years IтАЩve never wanted to, but I can foresee circumstances when I might wish to do so. I know of two sets of straight friends in Hua Hin who are desperate to leave Thailand, for different reasons, but have not been able to sell their properties, despite them being on the market for over a year. That concerns me.

Health Issues

The other issue you mentioned was one relating to health, which is a concern for the future. At the first sign of anything serious, and assuming I was able, I think I would be on the first plane back to the UK. But leaving a rented apartment behind would clearly be a lot less hassle than leaving a bought property behind. And, added to that, are the obvious legal complications for relatives, partners etc, especially where a company is concerned, if you were to die in Thailand.

Electricity Rates

There are 12 houses in our small soi and the developer only got around to installing a temporary electricity supply and he subsidised our bills for the first 3 years. But 5 years on a permanent electricity supply has not been installed and for the last 2 years the residents have been paying the higher temporary rate. That, and other stressful issues relating to the developer, is the subject of legal proceedings, which will not be heard in court until July 2012. Yet another reason to rent rather than buy!

October 2nd, 2011, 17:39
Guys,

As a property owner for many many years in Thailand, I would recommend you RENT!

All the reasons mentioned by previous posters apply.

Any problems, walk away and lose a month or so deposit. It's just not worth the hassle. Company formations,, taxes, regulation changes, global economy, complications in wills, areas decline, etc.

RENT. I don't care how long you are with a Thai partner UNLESS you are specifically setting something up for them housewise as a bonus to them for your time spent together and know it is not yours, (that it is for their future), then renting is the sensible way.

I wish that I had.

cdnmatt
October 2nd, 2011, 17:47

Thailand is a little weird in this way, as the majority of property owners haven't caught up with modern renting practices (advertising online, getting an agent, etc.). Most times it's just word of mouth, or they'll put a small plastic sign on the utility pole on their street. That's it. You can definitely find places on the internet, but please know, they're about 300% above market value. For renting, your best bet is to simply show up in the desired city, and drive around looking for "for rent" signs. Or talk to various people in town, and hope you find something that way.

For example, here in KK if you search on the internet, you'll see small studio apartments for 6000 - 8000/month. All the while, we have a large 2 storey, 4 bdrm, 2 bath house for 4500/month.

pong
October 2nd, 2011, 17:56
thanks for the posting and the reads and happy long time living together for you 2 there in HHn=Stony Head!

cameroncat
October 3rd, 2011, 08:47
"Sorry Cameron, but your description screams "stay away" for me. I've remained behind the techno curve by an average of 5 years since about 1990 (used Win98 until 2006), and I try valiantly to keep it that way. Tried Facebook ~ under pressure ~ for two hours: hated it, deleted it. Never opened a twitter, whatever a twitter is. Never come close to anything spelled 'Skype', or anything from which a tiny camera hangs. My flat screen is 5 years old and is not even all that flat."

Well Smiles, It's OK for an Old Fart like you (just kidding, I'm 55 myself) to be technology ignorant, but I'd be surprised to hear your younger half feels the same. Younger Thai's seem to be addicted to Mobile Phones and social media (Facebook, Email, SMS, Tweets). I myself rarely use Facebook (because most of my friends are also Old Farts), and I've never posted a TWIT. I do use Twitter to keep up with breaking news stories. During the Bangkok Riots, It was the only way to find out what was really happening from the average guy on the street instead of news "filtered" by the Thai Govt or by the Red Shirt spokesmen. SKYPE is actually a very good way to keep in touch with family and friends across the world for Free (and you don't have to use the Video part LOL). I surely hope this forum is not your only source of things happening outside of Thailand LOL.

Smiles
October 5th, 2011, 14:46
Town houses in general are somewhat cheaper than condos, but I think that may be the case because of the much wider range you can get in a condo in Thailand: from very posh to those dark hallway'ed low end apartment blocks ... and of course everything in between.
Town houses are often more 'Thai Style' than condos and are pretty much the same in general layout. And they don't generally carry the same expenses (e.g. security guards, landscaping, parking areas etc etc). Many town houses are highly renovated and you'll certainly pay for that, but my feel for the economics of the two is that they are on average a bit less expensive, and in my opinion a bit better value for money.

Thai owners love to rent for the whole year (they can disappear, never to be seen for a year at a time). I pay the rent in one 12-month lump sum . . . they love that too, and are quite willing to rent for a deeply-discounted monthly rate, and without an increase for a very long time: in our case this November will be our 5th year still with the same rent of 8000 a month.
The rents on townhouses in our neighbourhood has been going up and if we left this place for another on the same street we'd be looking at not less that 10000 baht a month (for the year lease) and for quite a lot more for some of the newly-renovated ones.

Every year we talk about getting a new place, and every year we say the hell with it when it comes to crunch time (i.e. October 1). The rent is quite special (for Hua Hin ... I notice that Cndmatt rents one for 4500 a month, but I assume that would be the difference between Khon Kaen and Hua Hin ... i,e, between an Isaan farming community and a tourist resort on the ocean ); the landlord is also special (we have become friends); the location is well nigh perfect; the neighbours watch out for us when away; it's 20 small paces for a beer and a pool tournament.
Right now, I think this will be it until I decide to buy ... and even then it may take us another year or two to find the perfect compromise.

As for Pattaya prices: I'd make a guess that they might well be somewhat cheaper on average for the same type of accomodation ... and certainly the choice available is much greater.
That's my best guess, but I'd be happy to be proven incorrect by a Pattaya live-in.

" ... Well Smiles, It's OK for an Old Fart like you (just kidding, I'm 55 myself) to be technology ignorant, but I'd be surprised to hear your younger half feels the same. Younger Thai's seem to be addicted to Mobile Phones and social media (Facebook, Email, SMS, Tweets) ... "
Not even close Cameron. If anything he uses a computer less (much less) than I do and uses none ~ not a one ~ of your social media list. He uses the mobile a lot, but most of that is business and some family stuff.
He has a business email for his customers, but guess who checks it ~ and replies ~ for him?

When I bought the laptop over two years ago I essentially gave it to him, but he's expressed zero interest in using it . . . so now it's a bit of a white elephant sitting in a corner except for me and my photos.
He's an old fart too: 42 now ... and as dis-interested in being wired in as I am.

Smiles
October 5th, 2011, 15:18
" ... Most times it's just word of mouth, or they'll put a small plastic sign on the utility pole on their street. For renting, your best bet is to simply show up in the desired city, and drive around looking for "for rent" signs ... "
This advice is spot on (don't faint Matt).

I'd add these comments though: Search 'neighborhoods' first, rather than individual rentals. Find a pleasant area with a good 'feeling' to it, then start phoning the numbers on the rental signs you'll find stuck to the fence.
For this 'connection' part take along a (trusted) thai guy with you on the rental hunt as undoubtedly a goodly number of the places will be Thai-owned. Often times the owner will be over to meet you quite soon after the initial phone call and that will give your Thai friend a chance to 'feel' the owner out. If he has a bad feeling ~ no matter how vague ~ about him or her, walk away: I've listened to many a Thai-landlord-from hell story where the farang, in the beginning, thought she or he was pretty swell.

loke
October 6th, 2011, 03:53
OK thanks for the explanation Smiles .

I am thinking about buying a condo in Pattaya , maybe near Jomtien beach!

I have been looking at prices as low as 1.4 million for foreign ownership . Not big , 1 bedroom size but big enough for me .
Its nice with sexurity and a big swimming pool!

So maybe rent is better most of you will say that , but if I own it and its a nice place , its easier to rent out while Im not there.

But I never hear about town houses there , maybe its not allowed for foreigners to own ?

Dick
October 6th, 2011, 04:33
Nice one Smiles. I can relate to Hua Hin having spent an early "honeymoon" there ~ or that's what his colleagues back at the office described my first bf's holiday with me in Hua Hin as, after noticing upon his return the irrepressible (I'm not a virgin anymore) smile :love4:

I have intentions myself of putting down roots next year - but in Pattaya with bf Mk.II - so your update is appreciated. Yours is one of the 'known' long standing successful relationships, so very pleased to see the reaffirmation and long may it continue. It can 'work' and you are one of those couples that stand testiment to a loving workable relationship.

Question: RichLB once posted (and you'll no doubt remember it) the theroy that as a Thai person's basic needs were met, so the need to gratify their higher aspirations became more imperative. I rated his logic from my own observations as being very true. On the assumption that you know what I'm speaking of, has this particular aspect raised any issues in your relationship?

October 6th, 2011, 05:26
OK thanks for the explanation Smiles .

I am thinking about buying a condo in Pattaya , maybe near Jomtien beach!

I have been looking at prices as low as 1.4 million for foreign ownership . Not big , 1 bedroom size but big enough for me .
Its nice with sexurity and a big swimming pool!

So maybe rent is better most of you will say that , but if I own it and its a nice place , its easier to rent out while Im not there.

But I never hear about town houses there , maybe its not allowed for foreigners to own ?

loke,

You again have to be careful when buying a condominium. Once the allocation of units are sold, the condominium will go out to property management. If the owners of the condos are not included in this management, the units and the building in which they are in, can quickly become neglected and fall into disrepair and lose their value.

You can buy a town house by forming a Thai company. You will have annual taxes etc to pay and audit fees.

I can fully understand Smiles not rushing in to purchase when he already has a great deal where he is. Why uproot and fix something that isn't broken. I have nothing to gain or lose here but my advice, and I wished I had followed it myself, is to rent.

You can get wonderful deals from eager landlords, as Smiles can attest to. Having said all of that, 1.4 million isn't a fortune to have down in something.

October 6th, 2011, 05:46
You again have to be careful when buying a condominium. Once the allocation of units are sold, the condominium will go out to property management. If the owners of the condos are not included in this management, the units and the building in which they are in, can quickly become neglected and fall into disrepair and lose their value.
You can buy a town house by forming a Thai company. You will have annual taxes etc to pay and audit fees.
I can fully understand Smiles not rushing in to purchase when he already has a great deal where he is. Why uproot and fix something that isn't broken. I have nothing to gain or lose here but my advice, and I wished I had followed it myself, is to rent.
You can get wonderful deals from eager landlords, as Smiles can attest to.

I'll add to Kevin's post once you buy you are really stuck with it, one never really knows what the future holds as you might become bored or have to return home for some unforeseen reason, and selling your property might not be a quick thing to do, if indeed you can find a buyer. There are some great deals to be had renting, and providing you go about it in the right way you can end up with a great place to live with no permanent strings holding you back if anything does happen.

Smiles
October 6th, 2011, 11:43
" ... Question: RichLB once posted (and you'll no doubt remember it) the theroy that as a Thai person's basic needs were met, so the need to gratify their higher aspirations became more imperative. I rated his logic from my own observations as being very true. On the assumption that you know what I'm speaking of, has this particular aspect raised any issues in your relationship? ... "
Thanks for interesting question Dick, and no, I don't remember that observation from RichLB.
I think I understand it, though not sure whether the implication of the theory is that Thais become more 'demanding' of a farang partner as the Thai becomes more affluent within the relationship . . . or that the Thai simply becomes more 'confident' (without the 'demanding') that he will be able to continue further growth ever upward.
There is a difference in the two impications: the former has the obvious potential of putting strain on the relationship . . . the latter being a quite more reasonable, natural, and stress-free desire/dream.

Dick, if you don't mind, I think I'll take the time to think on this. I've already suggested that I will write a second post regarding "Thoughts on living in Thailand with a Thai Man" (this one being more about the domestic economics of it), and in fact that daunting ~ and much more personal ~ task is sloshing around in my head as I write this reply.
So I think I will post regarding this in that future ~ but soon! ~ topic as it gives me some time to add into the topic an aspect I had not really contemplated before.

Dick
October 7th, 2011, 08:15
Hi Smiles,

I found the article I was referring to in an archieve... here it is:

RELATIONSHIPS WITH THAI BOYS
by RichLB

Author's Credentials:
I am a Professor Emeritus of Human Relations from the California State University system. I have taught interpersonal relations for over 25 years and published a book entitled, "Life Skills", which is designed as a self help book for managing social interaction.
Additionally, I'm the author and producer of the Intimacy Game, a set of
exercises designed to bring two people closer together. The Intimacy Game was reviewed favorably by the Washington Post, New York Daily News, Los Angeles Times, Playboy magazine and several other media.

Message boards abound with the continuing argument over whether Thai-Farang, older-younger, relationships are valid. I think there is an accepted model from motivational psychology, which can help in understanding such pairings. Let me give a quick synopsis of the theory suggested by Abraham Maslow.
He suggests that to understand human behavior, one must look at the motivation behind their actions.
Human beings are in a constant drive to satisfy their needs. These needs occur in a hierarchy. This means that the lower level needs must be satisfied before the higher level needs can be dealt with. He has identified 5 such needs and subsequent psychologists have done extensive research based on this hypothesis and affirmed Maslow's theory. Remember, he theorizes that one does not move on to the next level of needs until a lower level is satisfied. His hierarchy is as follows.
The lowest level of need is the Physiological Need level. At this stage, man is concerned with getting food, water, and other things, which allow him to survive to the next day. At this stage of a person's development, everything else is sacrificed in order to provide for physiological survival. Anyone or anything that presents the opportunity to satisfy these Physiological Needs is sought and desired.
Once one has assured him/herself of these most basic needs he begins to concentrate on securing Safety and Security Need satisfaction. At this level, people become concerned with providing for themselves a future - one that will continue to provide food, water, and other factors that assure the person will survive. As with the previous level of need satisfaction, anyone who promises to satisfy these Safety and Security Needs is wanted and becomes central.
Upon satisfaction of the Safety and Security Needs, one desires Social Need satisfaction. The approval of friends and family, elevation of social status, etc. become the primary reason for behavior. Again, anyone who could possibly lead to satisfaction of these Social Needs is the focus.
If the Social Needs become satisfied, Maslow argues that one next moves to dealing with their Ego Needs. An individual behaves in order to develop self-esteem, to feel good about himself, and to feel a sense of personal power. As with the previous needs, at this stage one affiliates with people who can help one elevate their level of self-importance.
And finally, if one has successfully satisfied the previous four needs, he is now confronted with the need for Self Actualization. These needs comprise the drive for creativity, unconditional love, self-realization, and so on. Different from the previous needs, which exist to drive the individual to eliminate the frustration caused by their frustration, Self Actualization Needs create the drive for further creativity, love, etc.
Now, to apply this to the ongoing debate about the sincerity of Older/younger, Thai/farang relationships, one must look at the needs that each partner potentially fulfills.
If one of the two is at the Physiological or Safety and Security Need level, Maslow would argue that he would commit and feel "love" for anyone who presents the potential to satisfy the need to feel secure or not hungry. On the other hand, if the other is frustrated at the Ego or Self Actualization Need level, he would commit and feel "love" for anyone who presents the potential for elevated Self Esteem or Unconditional Love. The fact that both people seek different kinds of need satisfaction should not make the legitimacy of their relationship invalid.
It seems to me that most of the disagreements about whether a particular pairing of people is "okay" arises because well meaning people assume that everyone is working on satisfying the same level need that they are on. They often fail to recognize that someone operating on the Ego Need level may be very adept at satisfying someone else who is operating at the Safety and Security Need level. And similarly, that Safety and Security Need level person may reciprocate by becoming the perfect person for the other to satisfy their needs for Self Esteem. The two do not necessarily have to operate on the same level of needs.
I hope that it's clear that before one judges whether or not someone else's relationship is valid, it is important to look at the differences in needs being satisfied. For example, if a person is starving to death, it isn't really all that relevant to try to convince them not to feel "love" for someone who offers them food. Similarly, if a person is feeling starved for love, is it really sensible to convince them to not commit to someone who gives them love?
It's all a matter of which needs are important to the people involved.

Rush, Yet Again
October 7th, 2011, 10:50
Huh. Damn. And I thought I was the first to be guilty of applying MaslowтАЩs theory to Thai bar boys . . .

http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/maslow%e2%80%99s-hierarchy-of-needs-theory-and-thai-bar-boys/

But I am anxiously awaiting your тАЬThoughts on living in Thailand with a Thai ManтАЭ post, Smiles.

Smiles
October 8th, 2011, 14:31
Huh. Damn. And I thought I was the first to be guilty of applying MaslowтАЩs theory to Thai bar boys . . . http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/maslow%e2%80%99s-hierarchy-of-needs-theory-and-thai-bar-boys/
Them hifalutin 'plagarism' thoughts don't go over well in these parts, pilgrim. Him's ~ the one you're badmouthin' ~ is a kinda icon, RichLB is, after all.

Rush, Yet Again
October 8th, 2011, 19:52
Them hifalutin 'plagarism' thoughts don't go over well in these parts, pilgrim. Him's ~ the one you're badmouthin' ~ is a kinda icon, RichLB is, after all.

LOL
I just never pictured you channelling John Wayne before Smiles.
John Wayne Gacy, yes. But the Duke? Not so much.
Now will you please quite procrasturbating and get your story posted!

stevehadders
October 8th, 2011, 20:17
I think Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Theory applies to us all - at first we have to satisfy our basic needs (food, shelter, warmth etc) then we move up the pyramid.

aot871
October 9th, 2011, 04:39
one thing no one has talked about is the cost of health insurance once a person has reached the age of 65.

Dick
October 9th, 2011, 09:42
one thing no one has talked about is the cost of health insurance once a person has reached the age of 65.

Why don't you start a thread about it aot871?
I'm not old enough!

Beachlover
October 10th, 2011, 23:36
I think Maslow is valid but I also believe in the spinning wheel theory (I forget the correct terminology, this is just what I know it as). This says people's primary motivation/driver isn't necessarily linear and hierarchical but rotates around from moment to moment. Your primary driver of the moment can be something without the "lower" driver necessarily being satisfied. I.e. You can still be driven by social needs even if your more basic needs like hunger or security aren't met.

As for RichLB's stuff... I've read his posts and think his way of thinking is too rigid, static, impractical and incapable of adapting quickly to a dynamic environment. Just putting it out there.