PDA

View Full Version : travel visa to the USA for Thai

thrillbill
September 30th, 2011, 21:36
My Thai bf of ...6 years keeps suggesting for me to take him to the States (he's a young looking 42 year old, I am 51yr). We have traveled to China, Bali, Indonesia, Singapore where it is not an issue for him to into the country but the States is another issue. I know they are strict about who they allow in and not in based on ones education, carreer, and bank account. This is the problem. My bf doesn't have that much in his bank account and he does have a small shop (he's a tailor) but he is basically a poor fellow from Isaan. Has anyone had luck getting a visa for their Thai "friend"???

September 30th, 2011, 21:54
I don't think you will have a problem. You have nothing to loose by trying. Just be 100% honest and go to the website and follow the directions. Everything needed to apply is online.

http://evisaforms.state.gov/

maisoui
September 30th, 2011, 22:58
I think that the fact that his passport shows that he has returned to Thailand after many trips might stand you in good stead on the visit to the US Embassy. Having said that, I personally avoid visiting the US as much as possible.

September 30th, 2011, 23:47
As Pattaya Mail says you should try. From past experiences as long as the applicant tells the truth and doesn't try to hide anything he could well be successful. I have known very wealthy Thais who were refused, not because of their status but because they we not quite open and tried to hide 'something'..Keep the board posted as to how he gets on if he does apply.

chillnorth
October 1st, 2011, 12:13
It's well worth a try-- absolutely, go with the truth, though. You've been friends a long time and you've invited him to visit. If at all possible, send him to the interview armed with a return ticket with specific dates of travel (refundable, of course), hotel bookings in his name and/or a notarized invitation to him from you to host him during his stay with specifics as to where he will reside or travel in the States. The letter is not part of required documentation and notarizing it is only a personal suggestion. You're not allowed to actually "sponsor" someone or have any involvement directly in the interview, but it won't hurt to have a sworn statement from a real person specifying how long he will stay and pinpointing where they can begin looking for him if they need to. You might even mention in the letter that after he obtains his visa you will help him determine the best travel insurance policy to cover his visit.

I don't know if it makes a difference which Consulate to apply to-- maybe someone else will have a suggestion. It all sounds like a pain in the butt because it is, but his age, the fact of having any business (is it registered?) or property to return to, and having traveled and returned to Thailand before work to his advantage. I've known several people to make successful visa applications in the last few years without big bank accounts.

Others will have different recommendations, but I'd book him on TG in and out of LAX. Dreadful airport, but they at least see a lot of Thai people pass thru. Least desirable point of entry, based strictly on unscientific feedback from friends ranging from Thai to Australians to Canadians, is Detroit. No explanation from me for that.

Good luck!

thrillbill
October 1st, 2011, 13:16
Thanks for the info. I work in Thailand so he would going to the States with me and back. I don't know if I should be with him or have him go alone when he interviews for a visa at the US embassy in Bangkok. I wonder if he should say he would be going with me or alone...but I am not living/working in the USA but have worked in Thailand for 6 years. I heard from another friend that he would have to have a round trip ticket before going to the embassy to ask for a travel visa - true. What happens if he can't go, then I am out of $2, 200 US dollars? We would be traveling to gether next June 2012.
Though I would love for him to go to the States with me, I know of a Westerner whose Thai bf was rejected and this guy had a good job at a bank in BKK, and some cash in his bank account. (And speaks better English than my Thai friend.)

October 2nd, 2011, 18:27
To share a recent experience тАУ and I hope this reply helps in some way тАж

My boyfriend and I have been living together in Bangkok for over 9 years, and I wanted him to accompany me on a visit to my family in the US this October. I had for several years now hesitated to think of going with him since I had heard it was difficult, if not impossible, for a Thai person to get a US travel visa. But over the years he has accumulated a lot of money in the bank, now has a beautiful new house in Isaan, several rai of rice land, and recently earned a BachelorтАЩs degree. Armed with all of the supporting documents, plus a letter from me explaining the facts of our relationship and about his not needing to be employed at the moment тАУ except for the letter, the rest was not looked at in the тАЬinterviewтАЭ of LESS THAN one minute.

(Unless you live in the specific locations listed to apply at the Chiang Mai consulate, the only place you can interview is at the Embassy in Bangkok. No one is allowed to accompany an applicant during this process of hours of waiting, and buying an airline ticket would be a gamble or a waste of money.)

I suspect now that one of the тАЬred flagsтАЭ was that IтАЩm an American, and even though IтАЩve been working here for some time, the embassy immediately assumes that IтАЩm returning to the US and bringing my friend to stay illegally. Also, it may make a difference as to who the interviewer is тАУ although one does not have a choice when the number is called...but the woman as described in the letter below was talked about by some waiting applicants as not seeming sympathetic and giving applicants short shrift, and that the young man working there was more pleasant.

My friend returned home so depressed that he didnтАЩt leave the apartment for four days. That evening, I wrote the following letter (names deleted here) to the embassy. Of course a reply has never come, not to me nor to my friendтАЩs email.

Whatever the websiteтАЩs hopeful propaganda based on vague requirements (тАЬshowing tiesтАжтАЭ) from the US Embassy, you cannot think for one minute that a fair evaluation can be made in less than sixty seconds, or that the embassy staff are nothing less than cynical, harsh and overworked. And it would be na├пve to think that a notarized anything would convince them to make a positive decision.

(Also, calculate the $152 fees multiplied by the thousands of annual applicants to see what a profitable business this is: after assembling documents, spending a lot of time filling out the online application (truthfully), paying a $152 fee, waiting hours for a number to be called, "interviewing" through a bullet-proof glass window, and 55 seconds later, getting a "sorry"!! )

So, a pox on them all.

ThatтАЩs my friend's woeful vignette; perhaps someone may have a more positive anecdote to relate.

Here is a copy of the letter that I had sent on the day of the rejection:

Dear Visa section:

This is probably one of many letters of complaint that you get in a day concerning a rejected B2 Visa for a Thai citizen to visit the USA. Actually, this is also a consumer complaint of a person having been cheated after having spent $152.

I am writing on behalf of my friend, Mr. T. W., with whom I have lived here in Bangkok for nine years. He was interviewed on Wednesday the 17th of August. He handed to the interviewer (a mid-thirties woman with shoulder-length blonde hair) an envelope containing many documents supporting тАЬties to ThailandтАЭ, such as deeds to a house worth over 2 million baht, several rai of arable land, and bankbooks showing about 500,000 baht in the bank.

The interviewer spent not more than ONE MINUTE with him, asked him three questions, and NEVER looked at, nor asked to see any document other than a letter I had written. The letter attested to the fact that we have been together for nine years, and that financially he does not need to work, as I have sufficient income for us both, and that I am committed to working [in Thailand] for several more years, and that I intend to retire here, since I own property here.

In this one minute тАЬinterviewтАЭ, she asked how long we have been together, where we had previously travelled, and if we live together. The answers to those questions were in the letter. I have to say that it is circumstantially evident that she had her mind made up the very moment he approached the window. Nine years, or nine hours of knowing each other тАУ it must not have made any difference to her. So why ask the question? Was it some kind of phobia? Why did she not ask for more documentationтАж which was directly in front of her?

I understand that the decision is at the тАЬdiscretionтАЭ of the interviewer. But do you not see the disingenuousness of such a farcical proceeding? She handed him the paper checked тАЬYou have not been able to demonstrate sufficiently strong family, social or economic tiesтАжтАжтАЭ That very sort of information was in front of her. Or if she had spent a bit more time to read the documentation, would it not have mattered anyway? And how can any interviewer make an evaluation, since applicants are given short shrift and such vague interview requests. Now T. W. berates himself for not having been more assertive, which I can well imagine is the way many other Thais behave and the embassy staff might actually count on happening.

Why does your office take money from people when you know very well that so many will be rejected? He paid US$152 for waiting nearly four hours, and then being submitted to a ONE MINUTE INTERVIEW. He overheard other such outrageous interviews at other windows. I can now luridly imagine that the daily grind of interview after interview can become so inuring that to Embassy staff, people could become a blur, the тАЬdark skinnedтАЭ ones might especially be targeted for rejection, demeaning questions may be asked, all resulting in their humanity thus being degraded. I must say that you all have an unenviable task.

The rejection form states that тАЬtodayтАЩs decision cannot be appealedтАЭ, but it is actually the actions leading to the decision which I strongly denounce.

What I am asking you to consider is that he go back to an interview window and show someone the documents. Please ask him for the documents, clearly state your objectives, and THEN you may decide. Please, to the person who is reading this; think logically: How could an evaluation and decision possibly have made in one minute? I am asking this from one human being to another. No, donтАЩt hide behind your official policies by stating that he must reapply. From a human point of view, it is clearly shameful and disgraceful to ask for another fee when someone could have spent two more minutes in the interview.

Thank you for taking the time to read this communication, and I thank you for the consideration of your reply to my email address, or to Mr. T. W. at [email address].

October 2nd, 2011, 19:17
As an American I must say that I am embarrassed and have been for a long time of our policies on travel visas.
We let thousands of individuals cross our boarders illegally from Mexico and Canada and yet citizens from other countries are subjected to unfair practices. People who are honest, file the proper documentation and are totally up front with the reasons why they are going, their relationships and the fact that they will want to return.

I am embarrased about many of our goverment policies regarding foreign affairs and trying to be the policemen of the world. I am embarrased by what our goverment has allowed to happen to our banks and our economy

I am proud though to be from America and be an American citizen. I just do not understand how and why and I don't understand our citizens that don't rise up to tell our government that enough is enough.

I also can't stand those of other nations who belittle Americans as a whole group of people. Putting us all down because of these embarrasments and who feel that the fault lies on every single American. Treat Americans as individuals who seperately have minds and opinions, who don't necessarily agree with everything our government does such as being so ignorant as to be ready to destroy the nationalzation of the health bill. The embarrasments go on and on.

thrillbill
October 3rd, 2011, 16:56
In reply to Mandopie's bf's experience (and I have heard of similar stories) it makes me so angry how the embassy automatically says "NO" since (and I know I will seem to be "racial profiling" or???) it seems other nationalities from developing countries get visas and tourist visas to come to the USA. For example, Filipinos seem to come to America to visit/ live with no problem??? Or, legal Mexicans... I don't understand why the USA embassy says "NO" before really studying the situation. And what makes them think Thais would want to come to the USA now days to live????? It is the opposite, Americans want to come HERE to live -lol My Thai bf has family here and had no desire to live/work in the US. Visit? ---Yes.

October 3rd, 2011, 17:18
I know this is no consolation to anybody who has experience of having a US Visa refused, but the UK are worse!

As Justme says of the US, the UK is full of illegal immigrants who also work illegally - and whom nobody does anything about - yet try to get your Thai bf a 30 day visitors visa and you may as well forget it!
I even know str8 people who have married a thai woman and cannot get her into the UK.

At the same time, we allow in penniless Eastern Europeans simply because they are from an EU country,and give them full work entitlements and healthcare benefits.

I have long been of the opinion that, in the UK, honesty does not pay
Say whatever you have to say, or say nothing at all and just do it!
Lie, Lie, and Lie again to get what you want and once you have it the chances are you'll be allowed to keep it - try to obtain something honestly and legally and you'll be denied.

Rant over - and best of luck to the OP

:occasion9:

allieb
October 3rd, 2011, 18:09
I know this is no consolation to anybody who has experience of having a US Visa refused, but the UK are worse!

As Justme says of the US, the UK is full of illegal immigrants who also work illegally - and whom nobody does anything about - yet try to get your Thai bf a 30 day visitors visa and you may as well forget it!
I even know str8 people who have married a thai woman and cannot get her into the UK.

At the same time, we allow in penniless Eastern Europeans simply because they are from an EU country,and give them full work entitlements and healthcare benefits.

I have long been of the opinion that, in the UK, honesty does not pay
Say whatever you have to say, or say nothing at all and just do it!
Lie, Lie, and Lie again to get what you want and once you have it the chances are you'll be allowed to keep it - try to obtain something honestly and legally and you'll be denied.

Rant over - and best of luck to the OP :occasion9:

Most of what you say is quite correct, however I do know of cases here in the British consulate of visas being denied. Denied aplicants can appeal and get their case heard and reversed, many are. If you can prove that you have been living together in a relationship similar to marrage then you are home and dry not just for a vist visa but a settlement visa.

Mant Brit gays are living with Arab/ asian partners here in Saudi and all of those I have known who have applied have been granted visas. Only one case I know was denied and the Brit took the case to his MP and had the desision reversed.

BTW a vist visa to the UK from Saudi costs as much as 500 pounds for a mutiple entry. It used to be 100 pounds until the British government outsourced the visa departments to private comapnies. 18 months ago.

cameroncat
October 3rd, 2011, 23:31
Having read your letter, Your mistake may have been saying your BF does not need to work. 2 years ago when my now Ex Thai BF went to the US Embassy armed with similar documents to you, all the lady looked at was his letter from his employer stating that he had been granted a two week vacation and was due back on such and such a date.
In 3 minutes, he had a 10 year Visa. Was the letter from his employer the deciding factor? The fact that he was honest and told her he was visiting his Boyfriend in the US? was it his perfect english? his light skin? was the embassy lady just "gay friendly"? Who knows! Because the decision is totally at the discretion of the interviewer, it all seems like a crap shoot to me...

Beachlover
October 4th, 2011, 21:08
The rejection form states that тАЬtodayтАЩs decision cannot be appealedтАЭ, but it is actually the actions leading to the decision which I strongly denounce.
That's a heart breaker of a story, Mandopie.

It's not just the US. I've noticed among my friends, Asians with passports from the poorer countries in Asia, like Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines have to jump through so many hurdles to visit other countries.

Going to the US, Japan or anywhere in Europe is a right pain in the arse for them! They can't just jump on a plane and go there next week. There's a lot of fact finding on application procedures, working out the criteria, gathering documentation and then submitting the application and having no certainty whatsoever on whether they'll be allowed to proceed. Lots of planning ahead.

Doesn't seem matter what their income is either. I know guys on six-figures salaries who still have to go through all this, just because the COUNTRY on their passport is poor!

It really sucks that this is still the case when we live in such a well connected world.

It's made me realise how lucky I am not to have a third-world country passport...

Beachlover
October 4th, 2011, 21:13
On another note, there's allegations someone was murdered in Australia because US immigration rejected the suspect's Vietnamese wife...

Michelle Beets, a hospital nurse manager in Sydney was murdered last year.

The prime suspect who is currently on trial is a former US marine who worked as a male nurse for the victim. He moved to Australia with his Vietnamese wife because she wasn't allowed to live with him the US (f*** knows why the US government wouldn't let a married partner in).

The prosecutors are alleging that he murdered his ex boss, the nurse manager because she didn't renew his contract and he thought she was giving him bad references, which was hindering his ability to get another job.

He needed a job to stay in Australia and he was desperate to stay in Australia because if he went back to his home country, the US, they wouldn't allow his wife to enter the country and live with him.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 1k8yv.html (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/military-technique-in-beets-murder-court-20110914-1k8yv.html)

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nurse-tried-t ... 1kbzz.html (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nurse-tried-to-speak-before-death-20110915-1kbzz.html)

DragonMaster
October 6th, 2011, 11:07
Hi Guys,
I have been reading the board for some time, but have never joined the forum until now. After reading Mandopie's post regarding the attempt for a visa, I can relate a similiar experience to his and it made me angry all over again. In short to put it bluntly, these jokers who work in the visa section at the embassy are either incompetent, apathetic or downright liars. My bf and I also went to the embassy, waited for hours to submit his application only for him to be told later in a two minute interview that his application was rejected. I was quite angry, since we very carefully documented everything, including bank balances and a letter for him to present to the interviewer, which stated that he was being hired by my company to maintain an office in Thailand. The letter also carefully stated that he was being paid as a contractor until all of the required registrations were completed in Thailand. His bank balance was not an issue, since he could show about 45,000 baht per month in income. I too sent several requests to the embassy via email asking for specific reasons for the denial and asked for reconsideration. No replies were forthcoming. If you want to get a response from the embassy, contact your Senator or House Representative and they will write a letter on your behalf and submit it to the embassy for an explaination. My Senator wrote the letter at my request, and lo and behold, he received a written response from the Vice Consul with an explaination. They cited 4 or 5 reasons why his application was rejected including, 1. he was unable to show any financial resources, 2. he could not show any ties to his home country, 3. he was not qualified to work for me since his previous employment was that of a waiter in a resort area of the country, 4. he has never been out of the country, and the best one was,5. after checking there was no such company registered in Thailand that he was supposed to work for. Not only did they completely misspell the name of my company, but they apparently could not read that the address on both his visa application and the letter clearly indicated that the business was located in Falls Church, Virginia USA not Thailand.

Next I hired an immigration attorney in Bangkok to get advice and help us try again. That was quite a learning experience in itself. I discovered that about six or seven years ago now, all visa fees collected by the embassy no longer have to be accounted for here in Washington, and the embassy can use these fees for operating costs incurred by the local embassy. This certainly gives them an incentive to reject applications since you have to pay each time you attempt to get a visa. Next, I contacted the Dept. of State and submitted a FOIA (Freedom of Information) request, asking for the number of visa applications submitted along with the number rejected and approved as well as how many of these were granted on mutiple submissions. It took almost 18 months for the embassy in Bangkok to supply the information I requested and the numbers were not credible. They claim that nearly 80% of visa applications are approved which anyone who has dealt with this process knows is pure B.S. My lawyer also agrees that the numbers are most likely just the opposite of what is claimed. In addition to the letter sent to the Senators office, I also received a much shorter written response which said his application was rejected under section xxx of the law and he was welcome to reapply in the future for reconsideration. Having the copy of the Senators letter, I sent another letter along with a copy of the letter presented at the interview, a copy of the visa application and asked the Vice Consul how they were able to state that 1. he could not show any financial resource when the documents were not looked at, and since #2., he could not show any ties to his home country along with #4 he as never been outside of Thailand, just where did the Consul believe his ties were? I also asked what qualified the Consul to be my human resources manager. The Senators office suggested that I also send a request to meet with the Consul to discuss the matter in person which I did. I never received a response to the meeting request, but I did receive another written letter from a different Vice Consul in response to my second letter. Of course they would not admit that they lied through their teeth or were totally incompetent at stating the facts, but did tell me that my bf was welcome to reapply and would be given every consideration under the law. This is the usual boilerplate crap that they state. As Mondopie stated in his post, the decision of the interviewer is not subject to appeal and the State Department here in Washington has no say in the consular officers decision either. Another interesting option in the law is the ability to post a departure bond which would guarantee that the visitor to the U.S. would leave the country. Of course, the embassy will tell you that they do not support this option under the law and the other government office is that of the Attorney General which doesn't support this option either. Perhaps if more of us speak out we can change the attitude of the consular officers regarding the issuance of visas, or get your bf's to Mexico and let them walk across the border where they can get in state tuition and free health care while they persue numerous career choices. In addition, as long as they don't commit any criminal acts, they won't get deported or arrested either for being here illegally.