PDA

View Full Version : Russian Tourists

September 28th, 2011, 10:42
Hi,

It seems having a plentiful supply of the ' new ' Russian Tourists is bringing in more than its fair share of the wrong element to Pattaya, as predicted.

It doesn't seen so long ago that the wealthy Russians all the Thai businesses were welcoming with open arns have now been replaced by the less desirable ones.

If you read the link, it's interesting how they are now up to every scam in the book from Robbery to credit card scams to thefts in ever increasing numbers. That's not including all the former " Eastern Bloc " prostitutes operating there.

There is an absence here of British, American, German, French and many other nationalities from the arrests being made, while most arrests seem to be focussed on Eastern bloc and Middle eastern countries.

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/ ... ard-fraud/ (http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/36743/russian-couple-arrested-by-pattaya-police-accused-of-credit-card-fraud/)

arsenal
September 28th, 2011, 13:31
Leaving certain nationalities aside it does seem that so many people choose to comit crimes of such stupidity in Thailand. I get the impression that they must think the country is is in some kind of technological medieval dark age, that all they need to do is turn up with something looking vaguely similar to the real article and presto...instant riches. How else can you explain the idiots trying to pass forged banknotes or use fake credit cards to buy expensive items.
Apart from the fact that you are almost certain to get caught, you will then find yourself of a quite brutal judicial system that can keep you locked up for decades without trial.

September 28th, 2011, 13:35
Hi,

Klong Prem in Bangkok had an awful lot of Malaysians and Nigerians in for these sorts of crimes.

arsenal
September 28th, 2011, 13:54
I don't doubt it. There was and English man on the Big Trouble in Thailand tv documentary facing 33 years for trying to use a false credit card. As I aid, they must be complete idiots.

It takes me ten minutes to cash a travellers cheque in Pattaya and that's at the same bank every time and with my passport such are the checks they rigorously go through.

thanatorn-old
September 28th, 2011, 13:59
Not necessarily Russians, but what always amazes me is the trifling amounts of profit would be perpertators hope to achieve. On watching news, documentaries, reading the papers, people tell of for example being a drug mule or such through SE Asia - well known for harsh penalties - and they were going to get for example a ticket home and ┬г5000.

Hello??? Are you off your nutter to risk 20 plus years in a tough prison for 5000?

Beachlover
September 29th, 2011, 00:40
what always amazes me is the trifling amounts of profit would be perpertators hope to achieve. On watching news, documentaries, reading the papers, people tell of for example being a drug mule or such through SE Asia - well known for harsh penalties - and they were going to get for example a ticket home and ┬г5000.

Hello??? Are you off your nutter to risk 20 plus years in a tough prison for 5000?
I know of people who've been hung taking the risk to make less than $5,000. I have a friend who used to work for Singapore's drug enforcement agency, the Central Narcotics Bureau.

I once asked him how many people they hang a year and he said it varies. Don't remember exact figures but I think he said some years it can be 5 or 10 or a dozen, some years more.

They don't have a choice as the death sentence is mandatory under certain circumstances (e.g. if you are caught with a certain quantity). So when they catch a guy who is carrying over a certain amount, it's as good as looking at a dead man.

I wonder if Thailand would benefit from such a policy. I don't think I would advocate it as their legal and criminal justice system is too corrupt and inconsistent.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 29th, 2011, 20:25
I lurve the Russians. the language is so sexy. I love how they look at me like I'm a piece of dirt.

Perhaps it's because I had a Russian grandmother yet she was as mad as a cut snake and a peasant to boot.

loke
September 30th, 2011, 04:29
I noticed many russians in Pattaya ?

I think russian boys can be sexy

But the russians I saw were families....

thrillbill
September 30th, 2011, 06:04
My "stereotype" of what a Russian looks like (from the Cold War era---thrumpy, overweight Vodka drinking men ) has been erased by the new generation of Russians. The post Communist Russians here (40-20's) are fit, have class, and striking in appearance. When I look at the lean, toned, smooth skinned Russian men, I keep wondering ...Don't they have fast food restaurants and "junk food" in their country??? Americans, Brits, and Australians at the same age are not in that good of shape... Of course, we are seeing most of the Russians here being the "upper class" in Russia.

thrillbill
October 1st, 2011, 18:16
...and I forgot to say it's great the sexy Russian men don't wear the loose, long cargo shorts, but the short short athletic shorts and tank tops that show off their tone masculine bodies.

October 1st, 2011, 18:55
...and I forgot to say it's great the sexy Russian men don't wear the loose, long cargo shorts, but the short short athletic shorts and tank tops that show off their tone masculine bodies.

I weas referring to increased crime rates from undesirable Russians attracted by the draw of a money metropolis in SE Asia and most of the answers on here relate to Russians in speedos!

ikarus
October 1st, 2011, 21:43

I weas referring to increased crime rates from undesirable Russians attracted by the draw of a money metropolis in SE Asia and most of the answers on here relate to Russians in speedos!
That is because your bigot views are apparently not shared by majority of posters on this message board. You have not been in Pattaya for a number of years and your biased assumptions about Russians in Thailand are simply wrong. True, they opened a lot of businesses over here in Pattaya but vast majority of them are doing an excellent job be it restaurants, real estate agencies or even entertainment venues like Rasputin which attract international clientelle for example.

October 1st, 2011, 23:35
Ha,

The Sunnee Plaza kid is back!!

How can posting a link from a Pattaya newspaper be regarded as bigoted??

If it is a BIGOTED view arsehole, which I can't see how it is as they are merely reporting crime rates then it's the newspaper you should be taking it up with, not me.

The last point is I haven't made any assumptions other than pointing out the great influx of Russians is a ' all the glitters is not Gold ' scenerio, and with it has also brought problems,which you, with your silly nose buried only in the affairs of go go bars in Sunnee Plaza , have not appreciated.

Beachlover
October 3rd, 2011, 15:21
I agree, Kquill... Ikarus has a tendency to make accusations with little to no substantiation. He has no issue labeling people as anti-semitic or bigoted when there's no justification for it.

October 3rd, 2011, 15:59
I agree, Kquill... Ikarus has a tendency to make accusations with little to no substantiation. He has no issue labeling people as anti-semitic or bigoted when there's no justification for it.

Hi,

He attacks without justification and spends all his posts usually on the attractions of the seedier go go bars of Sunnee and slagging off Krazydragon. He appears to have little else on his mind, the sad man.