PDA

View Full Version : CherChez La Femme Restaurant

ultimo
September 27th, 2011, 00:51
Tried this restaurant ( opposite Bordeaux) a few evenings ago and it was quite good food. I understand that they have a new chef/cook.
There were two of us and the Menu was very comprehensive. However I understand the place is to be Italian themed and will be called Alicia Pizzeria with a trimmed down menu and a good selection of pizzas.
I had Thai food, chicken and cashew nuts ( very tasty) and the BF had a TBone (Thai meat) but said it was slightly chewy!! ( You certainly cannot beat a good NZ or Aus T bone, but then of course you have to pay the price!).
The cost was just under 800 baht, but I had a couple of wines and he had a couple of beers. So all in all maybe worth a try , particuarly when the Italian dishes are up and running on the menu.
That evening there were about 15 of us dining but I think that maybe four were the relatives of the owner. Service was a little slow ,but I understand they were new staff also.
Anyone else tried it? What did you think? Bearing in mind this chef has only been there I understand about 10 days.

francois
September 27th, 2011, 07:47
The actual name is Cherchez La Femme, meaning Look for the Woman. Not sure why they used that name. A French expression coined by Alexander Dumas in one of his novels. The appearance of the place did not appeal to me and have not tried it.

September 27th, 2011, 13:24
The actual name is Cherchez La Femme, meaning Look for the Woman. Not sure why they used that name. A French expression coined by Alexander Dumas in one of his novels.Doesn't it mean "look to a woman as an explanation for the problems you are having" which may be appropriate for Pattaya?

francois
September 27th, 2011, 17:11
The actual name is Cherchez La Femme, meaning Look for the Woman. Not sure why they used that name. A French expression coined by Alexander Dumas in one of his novels.Doesn't it mean "look to a woman as an explanation for the problems you are having" which may be appropriate for Pattaya?

Absolument!

christianpfc
September 28th, 2011, 03:11
The actual name is Cherchez La Femme, meaning Look for the Woman.

Thank you for bringing up this issue. If I remember correctly (I went past in August), the name is "Chercher la femme" which is pronounced exactly the same as "Cherchez la femme" and simply means "to look for the woman" (infinitive) which is grammatically correct. But I'm sure they refer to Dumas and mean "Cherchez la femme".

Another restaurant whose name is incorrect is "Caf├й royale" which should be "Caf├й royal" (as cafe is masculin so the masculin form of the adjective must be used, here again same pronunciation).

(Request to any native speaker of French: please correct me if I'm wrong, I speak French as a foreign language.)

francois
September 28th, 2011, 09:43
Thank you for bringing up this issue. If I remember correctly (I went past in August), the name is "Chercher la femme" which is pronounced exactly the same as "Cherchez la femme" and simply means "to look for the woman" (infinitive) which is grammatically correct. But I'm sure they refer to Dumas and mean "Cherchez la femme".[/quote]

The sign appears to be "Chercher" /(to) look for; the references per "Nickys Gay Pattaya'" use Cherchez/ (you) look for.
[/quote]