PDA

View Full Version : PHUKET : Rainy season blows in

May 8th, 2006, 00:46
Rainy season blows in

PHUKET: The annual southwest monsoon has arrived, dumping millions of tons of water on Phuket yesterday and flooding part of Karon.

Chumnong Chitpukdee, Director of the Southern Meteorological Center (West Coast) Phuket told the Gazette today that more heavy rain can be expected in the coming few days, especially in the afternoons and evening тАУ along with more flooding.

He said that the rain is unlikely to be heavy enough to cause landslides but warned people in exposed or landslide-risk areas to be on the alert nevertheless, and to listen to weather forecasts.

тАЬSome areas such as Patong, Kata, and Karon may have to watch out for flooding because there is a lot of construction [in those places] that impedes drainage,тАЭ he added.

Heavy rain yesterday afternoon caused flooding to a depth of around 50 centimeters in the area around the Nong Harn Circle in Karon, making the area impassable to smaller vehicles.

Tawatchai Tongmang, Chief Officer (Palad) of Karon Municipality, blamed the flooding on insufficient drainage.

тАЬThe drains were incapable of channeling the rainwater into the sea, which was also high at the time, and it took us about two hours to clear it all out.

тАЬKaron Municipality has had difficulties putting drains into this area because we need land to do this and land is extremely expensive here,тАЭ he explained.

тАЬThankfully, we do not have the worry about landslides in Karon,тАЭ he added

May 9th, 2006, 02:04
I hope it ends by the end of June when I make my first trip to Phuket since '02!

catawampuscat
May 9th, 2006, 10:57
It has rained the last three days in Pattaya for short periods..This morning it rained hard for a while.. It usually doesn't get like this until June but I have no complaints as it is hot and the rain is a welcome break..

wowpow
May 9th, 2006, 15:34
My car from Pattaya to Bangkok aqua-planed all the way past Chonburi. The rain did vary from gentle to monsoon but was non-stop and there were rivers at the sides of the motorway.

I almost turned back but my Tawan boys need me.

I may need to get a pink brolly for the Soi 4 party tomorrow night. It rained last year just as the Mr. Pink competition started. The great guys at Balcony speedily provided umbrellas for all the contestants - was that nice or what!!

Boxer
May 10th, 2006, 12:33
TeePee
Pink Party Reports and your close up pics please???? I cant be there.

May 10th, 2006, 23:54
TeePee
Pink Party Reports and your close up pics please???? I cant be there.

I hereby second the (gentle) request for photos -- would absolutely *love* to be there, but I must deal with visitors (tossers!) from corporate who are here on a 'partner visit' (boondagle!).

andrewcraig
May 11th, 2006, 09:02
about a month ago was thread about rain in phuket in late september.
Is that still monsoon