PDA

View Full Version : Beijing China hotel

billy2bs
September 8th, 2011, 06:34
I plan to travel to Beijing China in April. I am looking for a not too expensive hotel there. I have seen some reviews on many of them there which are indeed $50 a night category but those reviews have not been satisfactory. It seems the rooms are fairly dirty and service and language barriers have been met often. Also the breakfasts have been described as mediocre.
Can someone suggest a hotel in Beijing that is clean, not hidden, and will not break my budget.

pong
September 8th, 2011, 17:13
you probably fall in the same trap as anyone: only think that places that are on the www exist-and even forget the only chinese ones. Also you did not say what about anyone here worries about; the assumed ''gay friendly?
a WESTERN BF is always, everywhere mediocre to western taste anywhere in China. Even more for Brits or Ozzies wanting that cooked thingy. The exception seems to be backpackersland and buy/order yourself in an independent cafe in those tourist-niche towns like Dali or Yangshuo. That is why people go on holiday: to encounter strange customs, to see strange habits and to enjoy the local style delicacies.
For hotels about anywhere in China: anything there falls apart or gets dirty-no maintenance or no know-how about how to do that- at an alarming speed, even faster as is the case in Thaild. Thus any rec for budgetplaces is old by the time you get there. exception are those western-style and western managed 5/6** HTLs, like Hilton. Most of their houses also get dumped after the first 3-4 years-and changed into a yet newer building. They may then work under that tipical Chinese habit of brand-imitation and be named Hitlon or so.
Then on BJing: its a GIANT city, even ore strectched out as bangkok, and start with finding an area you would like to stay in. The metro is ever expanding and now serves most of the main tourist places, so somewhere nearby a stop should do.
Most recs I know of are about chain hotels, like hotel 188-like McDo the same anywhere-. Their www's are only in Chinese.

billy2bs
September 10th, 2011, 07:54
After looking at more reviews aboui Beijing hotels, it sure looks like the service is less than satisfactory at any price.The acccommodations ar overpriced. internet works maybe sometimes.free brakfasts are a waste of time. Extra charges or fees abound. Taxis do not know where anywhere is. Maybe one ought to bring a tent and set it up

Sooty
September 10th, 2011, 08:45
That is why people go on holiday: to encounter strange customs, to see strange habits and to enjoy the local style delicacies.I don't. I don't go anywhere where I already know I'll be uncomfortable. I go on holiday to relax.

chillnorth
September 22nd, 2011, 19:48
After looking at more reviews aboui Beijing hotels, it sure looks like the service is less than satisfactory at any price.The acccommodations ar overpriced. internet works maybe sometimes.free breakfasts are a waste of time. Extra charges or fees abound. Taxis do not know where anywhere is. Maybe one ought to bring a tent and set it up

Unfortunately, your research is accurate in my experience. I've spent a reasonable amount of time in Beijing and I've found ways to be disappointed (despite being a fairly easy guest) at twice the budget you've quoted-- or much more. It's a fascinating city-- once or twice. As the previous poster mentioned it's also huge, so having an idea in which area you'd prefer to stay would be helpful in giving advice.

FYI... April isn't such a bad month to be there, though a little spare oxygen never hurts.