PDA

View Full Version : Pre paid currency card

aot871
September 5th, 2011, 18:25
>am thinking of useing a pre paid currency card on my forecoming trip to cambodia, has any one used one of these , and if so , was there ant trouble?

September 5th, 2011, 22:10
>am thinking of useing a pre paid currency card on my forecoming trip to cambodia, has any one used one of these , and if so , was there ant trouble?

Hi,

Never used one but I know they like only USD and Cambodian riel. Also, try to change your USD into riel as a constant scam is to give a lousy exchange rate if you don't use local currency.

lukylok
September 5th, 2011, 23:48
When I was in Cambodia (november 2010 and July 2011) , $ looked like the official money, meaning that anything worth over 1$ was payable in $, and the change for lesser sums was in riel. There was no high denomination notes in riel. It is important to have a lot of small denominations dollars - one and five notes.
If my memory is good the change is roughly 4000 riels to one dollar. I didn't use a prepaid card.
Enjoy Cambodia, it's a fabulous country !

September 6th, 2011, 00:19
Hi,

To be quite honest about it all and if you are brave enough to carry it with you, Cash is King, especially from the UK. You don't have all the fees, like I am getting now, for changing Traveller cheques, You don't have the bank charges for overseas withdrawals etc etc.

I would take maximum cash but I know that that does not suit a lot of people and scares many.

Beachlover
September 6th, 2011, 04:02
Totally agree... honestly, just carry cash.

I think $10,000 cash is generally the limit you're allowed to carry (in and out of most countries, without declaring it) and since I never travel for more than 6 weeks at a time, it's easy for me to just carry whatever cash I'll need for my trip. All the big ticket items like flights and hotels are all paid for online via credit card. I can withdraw cash from my Aussie bank accounts at any ATM if I run out.

I'd only look at other options if I was doing what Kquill's doing and staying abroad for a few months. I've never done the comparison between rates/fees between TCs, home country bank account ATM withdraws and currency cards before for Australians and would be curious, which one works out most cost-efficient.

Brisboy82
September 6th, 2011, 10:38
Keep in mind that Cambodia has quite a high rate of armed robbery when you think about how much cash you carry. I have never had a problem but a local friend did get a drive buy phone grab while I was there. Theft is a bit of a problem.

pong
September 6th, 2011, 16:56
good you took the thinking to mention for what country; for Khmerland do NOt bother-just take cash-US$. These cards are not recognised and you will walk longer to find a place to accept them and have them cashed as reading all these posts here.
Plus: from hhwat I have read about them, and this may vary with the card and country it is issued in-most have VERY bad exchange rates and HIGH fees added to any purchase made with them. Expect to loose at least 5% of its worth in those fees. what is said about the US$ and riel is correct above. also take at least 1 crisp US$20 bill to pay for the visa-do stand your ground, as this is really the official price-though some waiting and reject other quoted might be needed at some borderposts (not airport).

aot871
September 6th, 2011, 19:24
im not looking to use the card in shops , but as a means of getting cash with out have to bring large amouts of cash $s, as far as im told , with a visa cash card , you can go to any visa atm , and with draw cash up to limit on the card

Beachlover
September 6th, 2011, 23:56
Keep in mind that Cambodia has quite a high rate of armed robbery when you think about how much cash you carry. I have never had a problem but a local friend did get a drive buy phone grab while I was there. Theft is a bit of a problem.
True... but only issue for me is if I get robbed between the airport and my hotel and insurance would cover it.

Walking down the street and talking on your phone is a bad idea in many Asian countries like Cambodia due to these phone grabs.

Brisboy82
September 7th, 2011, 03:52
True... but only issue for me is if I get robbed between the airport and my hotel and insurance would cover it.

Walking down the street and talking on your phone is a bad idea in many Asian countries like Cambodia due to these phone grabs.

Yes. It was night time and we were sitting in a tuk tuk and he was putting credit in his phone and I think the robbers saw the glow from his phone and they flew past on a motorbike and grabbed it.

September 7th, 2011, 10:30
Guys,

I was warned about this phone grab theft on at least ten occasions by Cambodians working in the guesthouse where I stayed...........and I was there only a few days.

In Phnom Penn, you have to keep your wits about you, dress down, no bling and no flashing the cash,in my honest opinion. I have to say I did enjoy it and will return soon.

I gotta say gents though, the gay scene is nowhere near as good as Lao!