PDA

View Full Version : Never over stay in Thailand even in Hospital.

September 5th, 2011, 13:34
If you have ever been on over stay in Thailand, even if its for a few days this can apply, if the police are involved in any way.

Arrested- when Kent Melmblom realized that his visa expired after he had been discharged from hospital,
he went to the police station in Pattaya. But received no help - but was arrested immediately.

Kent Melmblom, 52, got heart problems when he was in Thailand and was hospitalized. So long that his tourist visa in Thailand run out. Then began the worst 12 days of his life.

- I never thought that Thailand could be so dangerous, says Kent Melmblom.

Kent Melmblom from Stockholm rented a house in the town of Pattaya southeast of Bangkok, when he got a chest pain and was admitted to Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya.

When Kent Melmblom was discharged from the hospital, knew that his visa expired. One week after discharge, he went to the police station in Pattaya for advice.

But he did not receive any help - he was arrested on the spot.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/495 ... in-paradis (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/495340-swede-with-heart-disease-thrown-in-thai-prison-overstay-in-paradis)

- I was thrown into a detention cell. There was one person there. During the night it had been filled with other inmates, 67 people pressed together in five by five meters, said Kent Melmblom.

Chained with other The day after he was brought to justice. He was sentenced to pay 2000 Baht, 480 Swedish crowns, and would be released within one hour.

- It sounded reasonable.

But Kent Melmblom was not released. Outside the hall was instead a group of policemen waiting for him.

- I was handcuffed, shackled and chained with a lot of prisoners and taken to a cell. I had to live under terrible circumstances, he says. He was forced to pay another 1800 Baht, but not released. Went lost 16 kg weight.

He was arrested on July 16, but would remain in the narrow cell for several days. Every day he received a small bag of rice and a bottle of water. There was a fan of the cell to relieve the heat, but it broke after a few days.

- I lost 16 kg. I got diarrhea of the infected water and threw up every day. The sweat ran down on me. It was so crowded on the floor it just went to lie down on the page.

Began to feel increasingly ill.

One morning a man lay cold beside him. He had died, but was to remain in the cell. In two days. No one took him away. Kent Melmholm did not understand how he got there - in the cell that appeared to be the worst possible nightmare.

- There was no dignity at all. After two days he began to smell.

Kent Melmblom had no access to his heart medication and was feeling increasingly ill, both mentally and physically. He had no watch and could not see out any windows.

- I did not know if it was day or night. We only had a stone floor and opposite water bottle to rest your head on. And the toilet in privacy was not to speak of.

Bribed free by lawyer

The news reached after a few days, Kent's mother in Sweden who in turn contacted the Foreign Office. One day, opened the door in the cell. Someone searched for Kent.

With the help of a lawyer who knew the police chief could Kent Melmblom bribe himself free.

It cost a further 30 000 Baht, just over 7260 Swedish kronor.

Then the trip home went very quickly. He was not given the opportunity to either pick up their belongings in their house or change clothes.

Was flown home in the same clothes the same day, July 29, he was thrown into a car, was taken to Bangkok airport and put on a plane to Sweden. In the same clothes as he was jailed in July 16 - a pair of shorts, sandals and a tank top.

- I stank of urine, faeces and sweat, and would sit on a plane among the common people.

And totally uncovered without money or a few belongings.

Now he has had time to shower and rest, but still feel very bad for what he had.

- I do not know if I should laugh or cry. I did not know that Thailand was so dangerous. I still lived there previously for ten years and was no novice. I want to warn others. The police were just looking for my money, says Kent Melmblom.

Several similar cases of UD (Swedish Ministry of Foreign affairs)

One month after his arrival in Sweden, he finally had time to gather strength to talk to the Swedish police, his insurance company and the Foreign Ministry.
But Kent's case is not unusual.

- We have many of these matter. It is common to be taken for not having valid visas. One must follow the laws and regulations in the country, says Karin Nylund.

She would not comment on individual cases but said that UD (Swedish Foreign affairs) has many similar cases on their desk.

thonglor55
September 5th, 2011, 13:37
I'd have to say I think his mistake was to turn up unaccompanied. I'd have gone to my Embassy and asked them for assistance. Failing that I'd have gone to a reputable immigration agent, and if neither of them could help it would have been straight to the airport, do not pass go, do not collect 200 baht.. Going to the authorities like that is a disaster waiting to happen - and it did. And there are still people on this Forum (you know who you are) who post comforting messages about "If you overstay, no worries, my local Immigration office told me you'll be OK just go to the airport".

christianpfc
September 6th, 2011, 02:31
I somewhere read that you can get a visa extension if you are unable to leave Thailand (for health reasons), however this has to be arranged in the hospital while you are still legally in Thailand and a doctor has to certify that you are unable to leave Thailand.

billy2bs
September 6th, 2011, 09:39
Well whenever I have problems on my Visa I just swith to Master Card till the fix it up.

What?

OH...NEVERMIND

September 6th, 2011, 09:57
I somewhere read that you can get a visa extension if you are unable to leave Thailand (for health reasons), however this has to be arranged in the hospital while you are still legally in Thailand and a doctor has to certify that you are unable to leave Thailand.

Hi,

That's correct and places such as BUMRUNGRAD hospital in Bangkok even have dedicted desks for immigration Police to assist you.

The rule of thumb is or was if you had overstayed your visa and made it to the airport, you simply paid the fine at 200 baht a day, now 500 baht I think?

However, if you encounter difficulties or get into trouble, you will face an court appearance for overstay as well as the stuff you are in trouble for.

I find the original post here a little strange in that I think we possibly haven't got all the facts. Incidentally, there is no need to pay bribes to policemen once the court has awarded a fine. The fine is paid and you are handed to immigration for deportation. You have to pay them for their ' taxi ' service to take you to the airport.

I am not saying this didn't happen, gullible tourists are paying for things they shouldn't in Thailand all the time but I find this case a little strange. Are you sure the 30,000 baht wasn't to ' clear ' another problem?

September 6th, 2011, 11:37
Chained with other The day after he was brought to justice. He was sentenced to pay 2000 Baht, 480 Swedish crowns, and would be released within one hour.
- It sounded reasonable.
But Kent Melmblom was not released. Outside the hall was instead a group of policemen waiting for him.
- I was handcuffed, shackled and chained with a lot of prisoners and taken to a cell. I had to live under terrible circumstances, he says. He was forced to pay another 1800 Baht, but not released.

There is absolutely more to this story.
First released, then arrested again? A big mouth maybe? Lese Majeste during the court-session? Of something going on in Sweden?
Check this out and look at the last but one post: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/to ... ge__st__12 (http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/85558-overstay-no-big-deal-huh/page__st__12)

MARK
September 6th, 2011, 11:48
I do not understand why he did not just go to the immigration office and pay his overstay fine but went to the police station instead.
I am not 100% sure but I have been told that there is also am immigrations officer at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital to help with these things.

I could be totally wrong. :dontknow:

September 6th, 2011, 12:05
Maybe he actually believed that the Thai police are here to "Serve and Protect".

MARK
September 6th, 2011, 12:10
Maybe he actually believed that the Thai police are here to "Serve and Protect".

well he says he lived here 10 years think he would have worked that one out by now :hiding:

September 6th, 2011, 12:18
I don't know. Something sounds very fishy to me.
I guess what I would have liked to know is exactly how long his visa had expired? Was it only the 12 days?
Certainkly as Mark says, all he had to do was to go to immigration with the letter from the hospital and maybe the bills. If they did not accept that, all he would have had to have done ww=as to pay the overstay fee.
:tif:

Marsha-old
September 6th, 2011, 13:31
When I was in hospital, the first thing they asked me was about my Visa. As they know that you may need a Visa exstention. That was Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Silly man for going to the police, he should have asked at the hospital what to do first.

bao-bao
September 6th, 2011, 20:54
I find the original post here a little strange in that I think we possibly haven't got all the facts.
Nothing surprising there whatsoever when you consider who made the original cut-and-paste post. :cheers:

September 6th, 2011, 21:33
I find the original post here a little strange in that I think we possibly haven't got all the facts.

Nothing surprising there whatsoever when you consider who made the original cut-and-paste post. :cheers:

Agreed, it's a known fact to all those except idiots that an overstay for legitimate reasons is quite acceptable. Kevin has probably hit the nail on the head by citing other reasons not reported for the fine/bribe. And as for bao-bao's comment, you have it in one there.

Beachlover
September 7th, 2011, 00:03
LMTU is a complete utter disgusting moron of a low life but I give him credit this time round for at least posting a thread without a ridiculous title full of dopey as a dumb f*** hyperbole and exaggeration.

I agree there's probably more to the story but what the OP posted is what was credibly reported in the news and it's not his fault that's all there is go by.

September 8th, 2011, 14:47
Nothing surprising there whatsoever when you consider who made the original cut-and-paste post. :cheers

Author: Beachlover ┬╗ Tue 6 Sep, 2011 1:03 pm

LMTU is a complete utter disgusting moron of a low life but I give him credit this time round for at least posting a thread without a ridiculous title full of dopey as a dumb f*** hyperbole and exaggeration.

I agree there's probably more to the story but what the OP posted is what was credibly reported in the news and it's not his fault that's all there is go by.
:

When you won that fat turtle award BorBor and the writer said you was similar to a beach turd, I felt sorry for you, since then 5 people have mentioned in there dealings with you, that you are not such a nice man as you would have us imagine, now your trying to suggest there is something wrong with my very popular style of interesting information format, with a snide remark, I am inclined to now believe what I'm told, you dream of turning into a clone of BitterBore even though you think he is a slimy slug and a very uncouth low life, as most guys here do, he can only try to Insult people like an unloved wild cat who bites every one until they show him love or he can dominate them, but when he is stood up to or put in a corner by someone far more clever than him, he throws a swearing tantrum, you think you can do it more underhand and think others have not noticed, just becauase bitterbore thinks it is amusing to attack and insult people because he is sick, you really also have to show your very low self esteem by not putting the Queens English together, thatтАЩs why you have to write expletives.

At least "BiiterBore" has an Excuse as he claims to be Asian and can not ever hope to be considered to be able to write proper English, thatтАЩs why he has to swear curse and attack many people, he does not the intelligence to find words that attack or put people down with out swearing, but whatтАЩs your excuse "Bore Bore".

As I did add the page link from Thai visa, where I got this Information, you will be able to see if you read it, ( It may have lost something in the translation )as it was translated from Swedish to English , IтАЩm not use to cut and past as is BeachBores case, 90% of the time he is searching the www, even at 4am in the morning, and changes the writers words to his own, then pretend its his, as 90% of what I write my original material, so sorry IтАЩm not the except on plagiarism, like BitterBore, I do know of two other people who went to the police station to find out what to do about an over stay and were both arrested on the spot and it took at least 7 months to get out of the Notorious Immigration prison, after you are fined you have to pay off the fine, if you can not find the money you stay in prison until you can, I was told there are farangs in there for over 8 years for this reason.

So Be warned if you do have a Problem you can contact me, I can help Direct you to a safe haven where your overstay will be dealt with out persecution or even prosecution, but on the other hand if you have the Money, you donтАЩt want to take the chance of going to the Airport where I hear they are or can now arrest you even there, if you are on more than 42 days over stay, you can go to Court after a short stay of days if weekend or at least a day or 2 in the police station prison, and your get a on average 6000 baht fine, if of course you have a ticket to leave the kingdom, and your have no problem returning either.

September 8th, 2011, 15:03
Hi,

When you are fined by the Court and have no funds to pay the fine, you will be taken to Nong Palai, in effect to ' work off ' your fine. It escapes me now by how much as I have not been in that situation, but it is about, as I recall from others in there, 150 baht a day or something like that until the fine is cleared.

They will then be moved to immigration in Bangkok to await deportation.

The people mothersruin is hearing about spending years in jail are usually but not always remembering we are talking Thailand here, in two categories:

1. Under appeal against sentence or conviction with no funds for bail or considered a serious flight risk.

2. Trapped in the immigration centre in Bangkok as they have no funds for return air ticket to their homelands and have weak or disinterested Embassies or no Embassy representation at all. Some of these guys are in immigration cells for years and get forgotten.

Beachlover
September 12th, 2011, 22:15
Asian and can not ever hope to be considered to be able to write proper English
That's an interesting statement from you, LMTU.

Last week you also said all Asians were pathological liars...

I know Asian are pathological liars

gay-thailand-f9/sunee-plaza-t21488-75.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand-f9/sunee-plaza-t21488-75.html)