PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle in Bkk

billy2bs
September 3rd, 2011, 00:17
I have thought of booking into Pinnacle for next March but looked at some of the reviews which were not the most impressive as to customer service and attitudes. How was it for those who may have stayed there? Thanks.
Billy :hello2:

cameroncat
September 3rd, 2011, 02:25
I haven't stayed there in years, but I have heard it's not as "Gay Friendly" as it used to be. Why don't you checkout Vincent's Place across the street. It's a gay hotel/restaurant with about 8 rooms for about the same price as the Pinnacle. I've heard good things about it and I plan on staying there this December.

soi_toi
September 3rd, 2011, 02:54
I haven't stayed there for a few years either. I prefer to stay closer to Silom. The time I stayed there I was in a Deluxe room and it was OK, nothing really bad about it, the rooms were dated. Whether the rooms all got upgraded to LCD TV's, new furnishings and bed, I do not know. Painted and tiled floors could be their definition of 'refurbishment'.

I just got an email from Jimmy, the freelance agent in the hotel. He's updated the rates from Nov 2011 on. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I will forward it on.

Yraen
September 3rd, 2011, 07:48
In past years, I have stayed several times at Pinnacle Lumpini and had quite good service. The only 'issue' I really had was the lift does not go through to the car-park - hauling body and baggage up the very steep ramp or the front staircase was a pain in the freckle.

However, a friend stayed there and got nothing but rudeness and arrogance from one of the women on the front desk. She consistently ignored the customer, talking only to his Thai partner, and just made the whole front-desk experience worse than purgatory. K demanded to see the hotel manager and lodged a complaint. The manager apologised profusely, upgraded K to a corner deluxe room on the top floor. The woman concerned wasn't seen on the desk for about 2 weeks (K was told she her training was "being upgraded"). When I last visited Pinnacle, I think that person had found it expedient to follow a different career path.

Balancing that, my personal experience (including having my Thai partner as a guest) has been very good. And the reception we got at Pinnacle Jomtien was excellent.

I guess the quality of one's experience is a bit of a lucky-draw - it depends on the people with whom you interact.

thenorthguy
September 3rd, 2011, 08:07
I always stay at the Sofitel Silom Road, great location, walking distance to every thing you want.....there in February/March...great value....

September 3rd, 2011, 10:07
If your are on a really tight budget - the Pinnacle is probably a decent choice. I have stayed there several times, but not for about a year. Updated rooms means just new paint and tile floor - otherwise very tired, but clean. The breakfast is good (wait to spot someone at the egg station and you can get fresh cooked), the small pool area on the roof is relaxing (the spa appears to have closed), there are a couple free computers in the lobby for checking email - otherwise nothing much to recommend it except the rate (check out Agoda - you can frequently get a deluxe room for $35 +tax). Not sure if standard rooms have a safe. Rarely spot another gay person there - more likely to see young Russian or Asian tourists.
My main compaint about the PInnacle is the lack of anything else nearby - a 7/11 and street food is just about it. MRT is nearby, but Silom and Babylon are a bit of a hike. Stay on Silom (close to the bars) or Sukhumvit (if you like the malls). Depends on your budget. A very nice hotel in Bangkok is still reasonable and I don't know of any that aren't gay friendly - just check for joiner fees. Check Agoda - they have good rates for Bangkok hotels and their reviews tend to be fairly accurate and recent.

Beachlover
September 3rd, 2011, 10:28
I always stay at the Sofitel Silom Road, great location, walking distance to every thing you want.....there in February/March...great value....
I agree... great value hotel and especially liked the club lounge. But I think it's well out of the Pinnacle price range/league.

thenorthguy
September 3rd, 2011, 16:18
I think your right Beachlover...the Club Lounge is excellent. The pool is always good up until about 1 pm when the sun comes over the pool....overall hard to beat..., just on good places is the Sirroco good, featured in Hangover 2, thinking ofbooking for Dinner.....

Richsilver
September 3rd, 2011, 17:42
I think the Pinnacle is a very good choice. I stay there often and have never had a problem.

The deluxe rooms have all been updated and have rather nice views. They are large, clean and equipped with everything you might need, including free Internet, electronic safe, minibar, etc. Breakfast is pretty good. The price is quite reasonable. And the location (three minute walk to the subway) is very good as well.

Jellybean
September 3rd, 2011, 18:33
I stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel on many occasions before I bought my apartment in Bangkok, after initially staying in hotels in the Sukhumvit area. I never had any problems with the hotel and used Jimmy First when booking a room. But itтАЩs been about 3 years since I last stayed there so my knowledge is not up to date, but I see that several members with more recent experience still recommend it. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast facilities there.

If I was to book in at a hotel in Bangkok these days I think I would rather be much closer to the bars and clubs and would therefore be thinking of a hotel in Silom or Surawong Road. A discussion on suitable hotels in those areas was held here recently when many members using those hotels offered several suggestions for reasonably priced hotels.

Dick
September 4th, 2011, 05:35
Wowpow use to sing the praises of the Pinnacle Lumpini, especially when booked through 'Jimmy', as one of the best value hotels in BKK.
I only stayed there the once, and found it wise when entering the room to take the precaution of reaching in from the hallway to turn on the lights first, waiting 10 seconds, and then going in. That gave the cockroaches time to scurry away out of sight so I didn't have to see them. But I never the less checked under my pillow to shift the blighters off the bed before sleeping.

Just across the road from the Pinnacle is Vincents & the Seven Rooms. I tend to stay there when in Bangkok. Good value, charming host, good restaurant, independant access to the rooms, and not a bad location.

danny99
September 4th, 2011, 14:33
If your are on a really tight budget - the Pinnacle is probably a decent choice. (check out Agoda - you can frequently get a deluxe room for $35 +tax). Rarely spot another gay person there - more likely to see young Russian or Asian tourists.

You obviously never visit the swimming pool, sauna and steam room floor on the roof? Normally about 80% gay, and if you are lucky like I was early August, and one of those young straight Russians venture into the sauna alone then fill them with bullshit memories of a time previous when a girl came into the sauna [it is mixed but normally 99.99% male only] and did naughty things, watch their towel rise with a lump inside it, and then help them relieve the pressure.

What do you want for $30+ per day, it also has a big clean room, very comfortable big bed, multi channel TV, refrigerator, clean working bathroom with good shower, FREE buffet breakfast, FREE in room wi-fi [even if slow sometimes], no hassles with visiting friends, so what if some of the underpaid staff are grumpy [then go elsewhere where they get big salaries and you pay $100 p.n. for much the same but with a bit more gloss]...just avoid them.

As for location, a 5 minute walk to the MRT, and a 50Baht taxi home with a spunky Isan gropable driver late at night. If you don't like all that then why do you go to Bangkok?

Shuee
September 5th, 2011, 00:08
i would say the pinnacle is a good stay, but the morning breakfast buffet used to be very good, now its just ok, as its been scaled down alot!

is jimmy still operating in here im not sure? well for those that dont know booking through him is much cheaper then the front desk, all you need is his email

Beachlover
September 5th, 2011, 00:45
I think your right Beachlover...the Club Lounge is excellent. The pool is always good up until about 1 pm when the sun comes over the pool....overall hard to beat.
What I would love is if the Sofitel were positioned where the Dusit Thani is. Then you'd get the nicer rooms and club lounge (both superior to what the Dusit offers) in a more central location (Sofitel feels slightly isolated) and with those stunning views overlooking Lumpini Park... Having the pool on a high floor overlooking the skyline (instead of hidden away) would be a nice touch too.

just on good places is the Sirroco good, featured in Hangover 2, thinking ofbooking for Dinner.....
Haven't eaten there (it's on my list) but been up there for drinks often and it's a superb bar.

The round bar (with the glass bit jutting out over the edge) doesn't open until 6pm, but if you're with someone, it's worth getting there earlier as there's another "sky bar" next to it opens at 4pm. It's a nice outdoor lounge bar these nice loungers where you can lie back and chill outdoors. Once the main bar opens at 6pm, they move everyone from that little area to the round bar thing.

View from the little outdoor lounge bar many people miss...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/beachloversphotos/Misc%20Posts/IMG_0800.jpg

cameroncat
September 6th, 2011, 09:00
Just keep in mind that if you are staying in BKK for a month or more, you can get serviced apartments in the Silom area for much cheaper than staying at a hotel.

billy2bs
September 6th, 2011, 22:14
Thanks guys..I did get a room at Pinnacle for 933 a day with breakdast Thanks for the input. But what about those monthy apts that was mentioned. Is there a link?

Beachlover
September 6th, 2011, 23:59
Just keep in mind that if you are staying in BKK for a month or more, you can get serviced apartments in the Silom area for much cheaper than staying at a hotel.
True... in fact, you can get some attractive rates on good serviced apartments for as little as a week's stay.

Jason1988
September 9th, 2011, 18:26
If your schedule allows you a longer stay you might try the Tarntawan Apartments. You can also have your breakfast at the Tarntawan Place Hotel if you so desire. http://tarntawanapartments.com/