View Full Version : AMNESTIES EXPLAINED

September 2nd, 2011, 12:40
Hi Guys,

After a couple of enquiries not just here but in e mails, I will try to explain the complex way amnesties are given in Thailand for those who have friends incaracerated and hope it is helpful.

You guys will be told all kinds of rubbish on your visits by your friends and boyfriends. They are not necessarily lying, just misinformed by jailhouse lawyers and old lags that wish to appear knowledgeable.

Amnesties are given on joyous and celebratory occasions. They are not given for sad occasions such as deaths. Another common story circulating if the present monarch passes away, all prisoners will be set free. They will say it is in the constitution that a prisoner cannot serve their sentence under two Kings.I heard it all. It's nonsense but those in jail,desperate for good news will believe anything that anyone says.

Amnesties are given on behalf of both the King and Queen and include special birthdays, ascending to the throne, Coronation and other such events deemed special or noteworthy.

This year, as HM King celebrates his 84th birthday coincides with his seventh cycle in the buddhist calendar, each cycle being 12 years. You can imagine this will be a major event for a great King who has reached this exalted status. It is anticipated a major amnesty for all to enjoy this event across the nation.

These are done and prepared by the government on behalf of the Royal Family and subject to confirmation from the office of the King.

Amnesties differ widely and no two are the same in their content. They are awarded according to the crime and different crimes get different levels of amnesties. Drugs draws the lowest amnesty every time even behind murders, Paedophiles, rapes etc. When the amnesty is announced for example they may say a murderer gets 1 year in 4 or part thereof for exemplary class, I in 5 for very good class, 1 in 6 for good class etc etc. A drug case may start at 1 in 7 for exemplary class, 1 in 8 for very good class etc etc. Fraud can be 1 in 2 for excellent class, 1 in 3 for very good and so on and on it goes.

They have big and small amnesties depending on the importance attached to the occasion. When I was given amnesty for the Kings accession to the throne, I was given the highest amnesty which was 1 in 4. My case was under 'old Thai law' and if you recall, it was a charge of alleged possession only, not possession to sell. It was not classed therefore as a drugs case at all or I could not have drawn this amnesty. Drugs cases started at 1 in 9. that year.

Also special circumstances take priority for all cases. Those with final stage AIDS, elderly inmates, those with missing limbs of two or more, terminally ill etc and those with less than one year left of their sentence will be released first. It all must be concluded within thirty days of its announcement. The announcement sometimes can be a couple of weeks after the occasion/event.

Prisoners enter the system with satisfactory class. There are six classes. very bad, bad, satisfactory, good,very good and exemplary. A prisoner will get 1 day per month from his sentence for good class, two days for very good etc. Very bad etc get nothing. These days are deducted from the sentence and given by the prison authorities. These are nothing to do with amnesties and should not be confused. A bad or very bad class is given for attempted escape, extreme violence, drugs, mobile phones in jail etc. Behaviour classes upgrades and downgrades are done in January and July. That's twice a year. It takes six months to elevate from one class to another.

A Royal Pardon is a completely different animal. This is a direct appeal to the King himself for leniency due to extreme circumstances of hardship or difficulty. These are rare and take years and years to find their way through at least 15 government departments with all the red tape involved before even arriving at the office of the King. Lawyers who tell you they have inside fastrack methods are more interested in stealing your money than helping you or your friend. Many of these appeals go unanswered, some are lost in the system and many not worth the paper they are written on. My Royal Pardon appeal, with a complete denial of guilt and new evidence was submitted in 2008 and I still have had no answer even though I used one of the top Bangkok law firms. As you are all aware, my wrongful sentence and incarceration has now passed and sentence served. I am free but not innocent under their law and will continue to fight this injustice.

Finally, any person who is appealing to a higher court will receive nothing, no good behaviour days and no amnesty as the case is classed as unfinished.

neoncrusade
September 2nd, 2011, 15:13
An excellent post for those of us with banged up boys. Thanks Kevin.
The brother of my 'boy' told me only a few weeks ago that he may be eligible for amnesty connected with the King's birthday in December this year. I was jumping for joy. To be included for consideration however, he had to pay 20,000 baht. As soon as I heard that my heart sank because I thought it was just another ruse to get poor people to part with their cash. Time will tell.

Dodger
September 2nd, 2011, 17:01
Kevin,

Thank you for explaining this somewhat confusing process.

I hope for the best in Decemeber.

My birthday just happens to be one day after the Honorable Kings birthday...wouldn't that be a nice gift!

Thanks again.

bao-bao
September 2nd, 2011, 20:41
This is the most level-headed explanation of the process that I've read so far, and I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

Trial by word of mouth and Thai media are always suspect, but from what I've heard and read about your case so far I really believe you were maliciously framed - but at least you got out alive.

In cases where a gross injustice was possible (or probable) it's normal to wish to see those who committed the crime(s) punished, and I'm one of many who hope that the truly guilty get what's coming to them... and however the universe sees fit to carry that out is more than fine with me.

Now there are probably two clubs in that infinitesimally tiny speck on the globe known as Pattaya where only my money (but not me personally) would be welcomed!

Ah, well. :cheers:

September 2nd, 2011, 21:33
In cases where a gross injustice was possible (or probable) it's normal to wish to see those who committed the crime(s) punished, and I'm one of many who hope that the truly guilty get what's coming to them.

I'll go along with that bao-bao

Marsha-old
September 2nd, 2011, 22:26
I will go along with the comments above also. I wonder if the devilsadvocate will go along with it.

September 3rd, 2011, 01:02
An excellent post for those of us with banged up boys. Thanks Kevin.
The brother of my 'boy' told me only a few weeks ago that he may be eligible for amnesty connected with the King's birthday in December this year. I was jumping for joy. To be included for consideration however, he had to pay 20,000 baht. As soon as I heard that my heart sank because I thought it was just another ruse to get poor people to part with their cash. Time will tell.

neoncrusade,

All people are eligible for the amnesty unless they are repeat offenders for the same crime. It has nothing to do with 20,000 baht. Someone is attempting to steal your cash. After it's announcement, the papers are pinned up in the jail for all to see identifying each prisoner by name and the amount of amnesty given.

Dodger,

Your guy will also have good behaviour days to be given and deducted from his sentence amounting to a month or a bit more I should imagine, which he will have proibably forgotten about.

Let's hope it's a short, sharp shock and they avoid bad company in the future. It's too easy a trap for country boys to fall into in the bright lights of Bangkok and Pattaya.

September 3rd, 2011, 01:19
.... Let's hope it's a short, sharp shock and they avoid bad company in the future. It's too easy a trap for country boys to fall into in the bright lights of Bangkok and Pattaya.

Some ex-pats could do with following that advice also.

:rolling:

Beachlover
September 3rd, 2011, 01:30
A Royal Pardon is a completely different animal. This is a direct appeal to the King himself for leniency due to extreme circumstances of hardship or difficulty. These are rare and take years and years to find their way through at least 15 government departments with all the red tape involved before even arriving at the office of the King. Lawyers who tell you they have inside fastrack methods are more interested in stealing your money than helping you or your friend. Many of these appeals go unanswered, some are lost in the system and many not worth the paper they are written on. My Royal Pardon appeal, with a complete denial of guilt and new evidence was submitted in 2008 and I still have had no answer even though I used one of the top Bangkok law firms. As you are all aware, my wrongful sentence and incarceration has now passed and sentence served. I am free but not innocent under their law and will continue to fight this injustice.
Thanks for this insight into the system, Kevin. I doubt there's many people out there who've got their head around it as well as you have. Your description of Royal Pardons differs vastly from another we had here recently...

Good luck clearing your name and I agree with Marigar and Bao Bao's comments regarding justice above.

September 3rd, 2011, 02:20
.... Let's hope it's a short, sharp shock and they avoid bad company in the future. It's too easy a trap for country boys to fall into in the bright lights of Bangkok and Pattaya.

Some ex-pats could do with following that advice also.

:rolling:

Understand Scotty,

I should follow my own advice................................ :laughing3:

billy2bs
September 3rd, 2011, 05:39
I dont know but it seems to be quite impractical to be giving out amnesties at the drop of a hat. Maybe I should declare an amnesty on my birthday too. If someone grants pardon of sorts I would think it would be due to some form of proof of a miscarriage of justice of some sort, not simply to say that I will be generous since it is my birthday.
But it is your country so do as you will.

September 3rd, 2011, 07:24
I dont know but it seems to be quite impractical to be giving out amnesties at the drop of a hat. Maybe I should declare an amnesty on my birthday too. If someone grants pardon of sorts I would think it would be due to some form of proof of a miscarriage of justice of some sort, not simply to say that I will be generous since it is my birthday.
But it is your country so do as you will.

Hi,

No argument from me with your point but as you say, it's their Country and system. There could be an argument about the British system too, whereby a guy is given a 10 year sentence but is automatically released after five and the remaining five he serves in the community.

Why not just give him five then? OK there are certain restrictions placed on him/her but they are still at liberty.

With Royal Pardon, when they are successful, this Pardon comes at certain levels too. If they believe you have suffered miscarriage, you are released immediately or if they think sentence is too harsh, it is dramatically reduced.

Unfortunately, if you have served your sentence before it comes up in the Kings office, it is then binned and nothing more done on the matter.

Again, please don't confuse Royal Pardons with Royal Amnesties. They are very different.

anonone
September 3rd, 2011, 08:24
Just wanted to add my thanks for posting such a great write up on the system.

I have read a tiny bit about your saga, and I am sure I have only a minor glimpse into what you actually went through. Your spirit is resilient and admirable.

Good luck on your quest.

thonglor55
September 3rd, 2011, 10:09
In my opinion all criminals should be shot once convicted. It would save a lot of money.

September 3rd, 2011, 10:24
In my opinion all criminals should be shot once convicted. It would save a lot of money.

Absolutely Thonglor 55,

How right you are, We don't want people with speeding tickets or those with outstanding parking fines or even worse perish the very thought, a drink driver or benefit scrounger walking the streets, do we?

Shoot them all, line them up, What a great idea you have. It would also reduce some of the overcrowding in the World if all Countries sign up to this idea of yours!

Then let's just say a quick ' Oops,Sorry about that, my mistake! ' when we wrongly convict and shoot someone!

Got any more gems for us??

Beachlover
September 3rd, 2011, 10:38
I dont know but it seems to be quite impractical to be giving out amnesties at the drop of a hat.
Totally agree, with reference to amnesties... people who've done a crime need to do the time. But I acknowledge, it's easier for someone who's never been on the receiving end of the justice system (other than commercial disputes) to say that...

Having said that, it does look like the amnesty system does take a lot of mitigating factors into consideration and may be their version of the parole system.

LOL Kquill, for you of all people to be wound up by f*ckstick55...

thonglor55
September 3rd, 2011, 10:42
Then let's just say a quick ' Oops,Sorry about that, my mistake! ' when we wrongly convict and shoot someone! I think the more appropriate phrase is "Shit happens".

September 3rd, 2011, 10:45
I dont know but it seems to be quite impractical to be giving out amnesties at the drop of a hat.
Totally agree, with reference to amnesties... people who've done a crime need to do the time. But I acknowledge, it's easier for someone who's never been on the receiving end of the justice system (other than commercial disputes) to say that...

Having said that, it does look like the amnesty system does take a lot of mitigating factors into consideration and may be their version of the parole system.

LOL Kquill, for you of all people to be wound up by f*ckstick55...

Beachy,

Not wound up in the slightest, just being as flippant as thonglor55. He's having a go today and I have answered one or two of his other posts with equal flippancy on the ' any other Country ' board............. :laughing3:

Dodger
September 3rd, 2011, 11:02
thonglor55 wrote:

The only problem with that approach is that they would first have to find someone who is innocent enough to pull the trigger...or, perhaps that would be you Thonglor?

I can see it now...as the dinnosoars reclaim the Earth... when all mankind has perished for having violating each others laws...all but a lone man - standing bahind a puff of smoke drifting upwards from the barrel of his revolver - yelling to the beasts who are slowly surrounding him -" I am Thonglor...I have been convicted of nothing in my life...what have I done to be condemed to a life of loneliness"

thonglor55
September 3rd, 2011, 11:04
Beachy,

Not wound up in the slightest, just being as flippant as thonglor55. He's having a go today and I have answered one or two of his other posts with equal flippancy on the ' any other Country ' board............. You have to understand, Kevin - as perhaps you already do - Beachlover has no sense of humor.

Smiles
September 3rd, 2011, 12:50
You have to understand, Kevin - as perhaps you already do - Beachlover has no sense of humor.
But even worse ... he doesn't even seem to know he has no sense of humour.
Working his way diligently through the smilie list and placing one or two at the end of every sentence seems to function as 'Best Attempt'. :rolling: :tard: :boxing: :love4: :alc: :violent1: :headbang: :notworthy: :occasion9: :nud: :sharm: :bot: :glasses7: :sign5: :sign3: :pottytrain3: :happy7: :bigsmurf: :nud: :sharm:

thonglor55
September 3rd, 2011, 14:08
But even worse ... he doesn't even seem to know he has no sense of humour.Isn't that what Buddhism teaches - we will never achieve happiness until we know ourselves - or as it is written in the Christian Gospel according to John "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"?

September 5th, 2011, 11:40
But even worse ... he doesn't even seem to know he has no sense of humour.Isn't that what Buddhism teaches - we will never achieve happiness until we know ourselves - or as it is written in the Christian Gospel according to John "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"?

Hi,

Do they give out Amnesties????

thonglor55
September 5th, 2011, 13:43
But even worse ... he doesn't even seem to know he has no sense of humour.Isn't that what Buddhism teaches - we will never achieve happiness until we know ourselves - or as it is written in the Christian Gospel according to John "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"?Do they give out Amnesties????In the confessional maybe?

September 5th, 2011, 16:35
Do they give out Amnesties????In the confessional maybe?

In certain cases, catholic priests have been known to suck the sin out of the offender.

Dodger
September 5th, 2011, 17:43
scottish-guy wrote:

In certain cases, catholic priests have been known to suck the sin out of the offender.

LOL...and they receive carte blanche amnesty as well. :notworthy:

September 8th, 2011, 10:21
Hi,

Just to clear up a point guys who asked me by e mail and PM, I have asked and received a reply from the British Embassy that there was no amnesty given for the Queen's birthday but expectations are ' high ' for December, when H.M. King reaches his 84th birthday, as I previously posted.