PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Sihanoukville, Cambodia?

vpnoy
August 31st, 2011, 07:28
I'll be in Asia in a few weeks. Part of the trip I will be in Phnom Penh. Thinking about heading to Sihanoukville for a few days. Anyone been to Sihanoukville? Can you share your experience about places to stay, things to do, etc.

Found these two gay, or gay friendly places. Any thoughts?

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/
http://coolabah-hotel.com/

Thanks.
Andrew.

Brisboy82
September 5th, 2011, 11:35
I'll be in Asia in a few weeks. Part of the trip I will be in Phnom Penh. Thinking about heading to Sihanoukville for a few days. Anyone been to Sihanoukville? Can you share your experience about places to stay, things to do, etc.

Found these two gay, or gay friendly places. Any thoughts?

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com/
http://coolabah-hotel.com/

Thanks.
Andrew.

I dont know anything about the gay scene in sihanoukville but serendipity beach has a really chilled out casual vibe that I really love. It's one of my favorite places

September 5th, 2011, 11:43
Hi,

I can't help yet but will be able to around November, don't know if that's too late for you.

vpnoy
September 5th, 2011, 12:38
Thx Brisboy82. Yeah, I'm planning on checking out Serendipity beach area.

Kquill, I would be back home to San Francisco already by the time you are in SV. But please post your experience anyway. Thx.

Beachlover
September 6th, 2011, 04:01
I'd be interested in anyone's take on Sihanoukville... what there is to see and do and what the atmosphere is like. Are the beaches nice? Any nice resorts/hotels?

I kick myself for not getting out there when I was in Phnom Penh for a week. I had planned to take a side trip to Sihanoukville but urgent work issues came up and had to stay in Phnom Penh where I could stay focused and have a guaranteed reliable internet connection during those couple of days I had set aside.

Brisboy82
September 6th, 2011, 05:49
I'd be interested in anyone's take on Sihanoukville... what there is to see and do and what the atmosphere is like. Are the beaches nice? Any nice resorts/hotels?

I kick myself for not getting out there when I was in Phnom Penh for a week. I had planned to take a side trip to Sihanoukville but urgent work issues came up and had to stay in Phnom Penh where I could stay focused and have a guaranteed reliable internet connection during those couple of days I had set aside.

Very chilled out and kind of rustic atmosphere. Real laid back tropical vibe. Lots of shack like bars and stuff. Lots of sitting on the beach drinking 50 cents beers (some places had 25 cent happy hour last time I was there).

pong
September 6th, 2011, 17:02
have been-long time ago, the place will have been transformed unrecognisable. basically it is THE Khmer beachsidetown, with recently a lot of contruction going up financed by rich Chinese (maybe beachies family?) and the usual Khmer elite. As in Thaild do not fuss about gay friendly and all that-it is just nonsense or some advertsiing gimmick.
There is said to be a small gay scene, no idea of what that would entail. perhaps follow the links to gaycambodia etc. (maybe look at beachy's last report on his very succesfull visit there) and see what they say.
Nice would be in the Khmer meaning of that: the higher the building, the more concrete, the better that would fit in. Or, IOW: be specific here and do not think that anyone will think the same on what is nice or laidback etc.
1 final note: there have been some nasty reports about muggings and attacks beachside late after dark.

fedssocr
October 3rd, 2011, 04:07
I spent a few days in Kep a couple of years ago not far from Sihanoukville. Lots of old villas that were ruined by the Khmer Rouge. Bokor Mountain is nearby as well. I found it very interesting, but a bone jarring ride up a terrible road. It was under construction though as some Japanese company was building a new hotel up there or something. It's a hill station where the French and rich Cambodians used to go to get away from the heat. More cool old ruined buildings including a small home that was the king's. I'd be interested to know what it's like today. I was there about 3 years ago. But things can change fast in this part of the world.

There are lots of places to stay on the hillside in Kep. Great views of Bokor and the water. took a leaky boat out the Rabbit Island for a day which was nice. Very laid back beach. I had never seen cows on a beach before.

No gay scene, per se. But a nice place to spend a couple of days.

goji
December 11th, 2011, 20:48
Hi,I can't help yet but will be able to around November, don't know if that's too late for you.

So, is there anything to report yet?

December 12th, 2011, 13:29
Hi,I can't help yet but will be able to around November, don't know if that's too late for you.So, is there anything to report yet?I wondered that myself.

Cheers
January 26th, 2012, 09:17
There is a gay scene & gay resort

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com