PDA

View Full Version : You know what would be a great idea?

bucknaway
August 29th, 2011, 06:29
I was just tapping away on my ipad and was thinking how great it would be to use it while on a drive from Bangkok to Pattaya then it hit me! A taxi service should offer internet tablets to its passengers as an added service. They could even offer to rent them to the passenger if they don't want to have it as a included perk.

The passenger could surf the net. Send and receive instant messages or even watch a movie.

What do you think?

August 29th, 2011, 06:58
I was just tapping away on my ipad and was thinking how great it would be to use it while on a drive from Bangkok to Pattaya then it hit me! A taxi service should offer internet tablets to its passengers as an added service. They could even offer to rent them to the passenger if they don't want to have it as a included perk.

The passenger could surf the net. Send and receive instant messages or even watch a movie.

What do you think?

Hi,

In the minibuses they have been doing movies for years Bucky. Why not buy the Bangkok Post and do without your i pad for a couple of hours or read a book! I don't think your idea is the best thing since sliced bread nor will you make millions from this innovation.... :sunny:

bucknaway
August 29th, 2011, 07:07
You must mean "Read a Kindle" as in this day and age, the paper book is going the way of the buggie whip :rolling:

August 29th, 2011, 08:07
You must mean "Read a Kindle" as in this day and age, the paper book is going the way of the buggie whip :rolling:

I don't know. It depends on what you are doing with the whip :)

lonelywombat
August 29th, 2011, 11:07

I am amazed you even think about reading your kindle in the taxi, after what for you must have been a long flight. I might use kindle for a few hours on a 9 hour flight, maybe more for the 12 and 14 hour flights, but when I get into the cab for Pattaya , I opt for a granny nap.

bucknaway what is your routing from Delaware and total time in travel?

thonglor55
August 29th, 2011, 14:55
Another self-serving thread from bucknaway about what an iBore he is.

August 29th, 2011, 16:51
"Another self-serving thread from bucknaway about what an iBore he is".

Did your mother never teach you "if you can't say something good then you'd be better saying nothing at all" - such negativity is so unpleasant and just simply unnecessary, can't we all just try and get along - or keep our negative thoughts and dislikes of others to ourselves ? - ha ha opps I nearly forgot what board I was on there for a second - but we could "try" ??.

thonglor55
August 29th, 2011, 16:58
Did your mother never teach you ...My mother taught me - or at least attempted to teach me - not to play with other guys' cocks and not let them touch mine. Was that a worthwhile effort on her part? She also discouraged me from speaking critically of the Ku Klux Klan, encouraged me to suffer fools gladly, was forever setting me up on dates with the daughters of friends .... the list is endless, really.

August 29th, 2011, 17:38
Trouble is, if we all "got along" and kept "our negative thoughts and dislikes of others to ourselves", what little content there was would consist of discussions on cock size, exchange rates, incarcerated "boyfriends", child-molesters, and advertisements for bars.

Whilst some avidly devour such details, I find them incredibly boring and would far rather watch a good, old-fashioned custard pie fight among the "regulars".

In my case it is nothing to do with disliking people - it's about having some fun.
There is no-one on SGT whom I actually dislike, and only one persona whom I cannot stick, stand, tolerate and whose next shit I hope is triangular.

:occasion9:

August 29th, 2011, 18:05
"and would far rather watch a good, old-fashioned custard pie fight among the "regulars".

and there in lies the problem on this board sometimes perhaps, speaking personally I certainly find THAT incredibly boring and unnecessary and a few people whom I directed to the board who were left almost immediately after reading some of the silly bickering and bitching over nothing in particular from the same daily regular ( always negative ) posters who quite obviously had very little else to do with their day......but hey each to their own I guess....glad you're enjoying it I guess.

bucknaway
August 29th, 2011, 18:12

I am amazed you even think about reading your kindle in the taxi, after what for you must have been a long flight. I might use kindle for a few hours on a 9 hour flight, maybe more for the 12 and 14 hour flights, but when I get into the cab for Pattaya , I opt for a granny nap.

bucknaway what is your routing from Delaware and total time in travel?

It takes me about 30 minutes to get to the philadelphianairport from my home and Korean air says my flight will take about 22 hours of of my life. Hehe

But I was thinking this was a good idea because while on holiday I like to stay in touch withnthe local friends. I would think most people do. Look at all the social websites here in thailand and also look at Facebook and twitter. Face it. A Internet tablet puts the worldnin your hands.

I still think it's a great idea. :headbang:

bucknaway
August 29th, 2011, 18:13
"Another self-serving thread from bucknaway about what an iBore he is".

Did your mother never teach you "if you can't say something good then you'd be better saying nothing at all" - such negativity is so unpleasant and just simply unnecessary, can't we all just try and get along - or keep our negative thoughts and dislikes of others to ourselves ? - ha ha opps I nearly forgot what board I was on there for a second - but we could "try" ??.

Yep this post will make me the next Bill Gates :rolling:

August 29th, 2011, 18:32
"and would far rather watch a good, old-fashioned custard pie fight among the "regulars".

and there in lies the problem on this board sometimes perhaps, speaking personally I certainly find THAT incredibly boring and unnecessary ...

That's always going to be the case of course.

It seems to me that there are three camps on SGT - those who think it's some sort of serious resource, those who come for a laugh, and others who just like to moan at the first two camps.

:rolling:

August 29th, 2011, 18:34
Absolutely disagree with Bucknaway,

And I have just deleted myself from GR as well.

These social networks are overused and overrated in my opinion. Next time I am going out, I will call my friend, either Asian or Foreign and speak to them personally about a meet up for lunch, a chat, dinner or a beer!

I am also not prepared to put up with abuse or bollockings from young guys because I cannot make their schedules and the abuse they think they can dish out. Most are gay for pay that I have come across on GR , and the genuine lonely hearts are in the minority.

I don't want to know on a social site what time he/she had a bath or dinner every hour or second of every day. Facebook can be OK for photos, only my views I know.

You can't beat the personal touch. Linkedin deletion will be next immediately after that useless Twitter, I am a normal guy, I neither need nor want it.

Horses for courses, and this is a race I can do without!

I love the computer e mail facilities and some sites where you can hop in and out like SGT not ones that take over your every breathing minute.

August 29th, 2011, 18:58
Horses for courses, and this is a race I can do without!
I love the computer e mail facilities and some sites where you can hop in and out like SGT not ones that take over your every breathing minute.

I couldn't agree more Kevin...

August 29th, 2011, 19:15
I think, (not that anyone cares) that GR is downright dangerous. They lie about preferences and what they will and won't do. Their pictures are when they were young and beautiful. Not today. Yeah, some people will say that they have had good luck on GR and all the more power to you. And it has absolutely nothing to do with me having a go go bar or that GR is a free way to get boys rather than the bar. Yes, I admit that I have gone to GR on several occassions and I have not taken anyone twice!
:tif:

bao-bao
August 29th, 2011, 20:22
To put this back on topic, why in the name of everything allegedly holy would someone want to fly 8,000 to 10,000 miles (or more) and not get their money's worth out of truly "being" at their destination?

I understand that the technical realm is an overpowering - and addictive - means of existence, but if I fly someplace I want to experience all that place has to offer me - even merely what I can observe along the road from the airport. I spend enough time back home staring at a screen and merely dreaming about it, so when I'm there I want to experience it - and personally I find that difficult to do when plugged into "The Grid".

People visit Thailand for different reasons, I guess. Nothing against those who primarily go there for the sex - that's merely a choice and I'm not judging - but 98% of my reasons have nothing to do with clubs, "love for rent", booze, large unhealthy meals or online hook-ups.

Not picking on bucknaway, mind you; as I recall he's a tech person at home and I know it's difficult for my friends in similar fields to pull the plug and join the real world sometimes. One example: at his request I drove a friend from Singapore along a particularly scenic drive in the U.S. once, and he spent most of the ride looking down at the moving icon on his new-ish GPS instead of the scenery he'd asked to see. LOL

Yraen
August 29th, 2011, 20:57
I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, reading, doing mail, mucking about with websites, referencing material, following leads blah blah. But when I want to read, I turn off all the nearby electronic gadgets and sit and read and immerse myself in the book.

I have a housemate (Japanese) who is a bit like Bucknaway ... cannot eat a meal without having his nose glued to his laptop screen. (I haven't seen it go to the bathroom with him but I wouldn't be surprised) :rolling:

Simon & Garfunkle got it right -
"Ten thousand people, maybe more,
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share,
And no one dared,
Disturb the sound of silence"
When reading a book I like to hear the sounds of silence. And Buck, don't wait for books to disappear; I think you will be old and grey long before that happens.

As I see it, life is to be enjoyed - not 'managed'. I like to be organised, but I don't need an electronic gadget to 'manage' what I do. When I am riding in a taxi, I want to chat with whomever I am travelling, not further damage my eyes watching a jerky screen in poor light. I like to "smell the roses", watch the countryside. When I chat with people, I prefer to see their face and their eyes while we talk.

But - and here is the crunch - Bucknaway's idea is not new. When watching Wimbledon this year, the in-car interviews with the players often included a tablet as the mean of serving the questions to the interviewee.

To me, a computer - PC, laptop, tablet, phone - is a tool, just like a hammer or a screw-driver. Useful on occasion, but not something I have to depend on. Each to their own, of course.

Patexpat
August 29th, 2011, 23:11
Technology has earned me a good living all my life, but for me, a Kindle will no more make books obsolete as photography did for oil paintings ...

bucknaway
August 30th, 2011, 06:33
Come on.. Many of you guys are found on the internet 16 hours of the day and now want to take a dump on my idea for helping you stay connected :dontknow:

Well.....!!!!!.......!!!!!

bao-bao
August 30th, 2011, 06:49
Come on.. Many of you guys are found on the internet 16 hours of the day and now want to take a dump on my idea for helping you stay connected.
Oh, it's not a bad idea - it just seems a little impractical. Can you imagine the rows between driver and passengers over damage to them - or, worse yet, trying to get somebody to put down a $500 deposit? A taxi driver can't risk that much, I don't think. A limo service might try it, though.

Can someone with the know-how advise if it's possible to put some sort of wireless connection in a taxi that a passenger could access with their gizmos? Folks might pay for that online time, and that could make a little for the drivers.

As for your estimate that many SGT members are online 16 hours a day - I truly hope not. What a sad existence that would be.

bucknaway
August 30th, 2011, 06:57
Some Tablet PC's with Android can be had for as little as 6000 baht. Probably even cheaper in Thailand. Heck, the HP touchpad was just let go on a firesale for what would be about 3000 baht.

Even some airlines are handing them out to passengers to use on their flights. Sure something bad could happen. Heck, I bet the guy in on the stagecoach said that a gasoline car could blow-up with all them gallons of petrol in a tank under them :rolling:

thonglor55
August 30th, 2011, 09:35
It seems to me that there are three camps on SGT - those who think it's some sort of serious resource, those who come for a laugh, and others who just like to moan at the first two camps.I think you've forgotten to mention those who are quite camp enough thank you very much.

christianpfc
August 31st, 2011, 02:02
The idea is good, however I prefer to have a real keyboard for typing and furthermore as the taxi is moving, it wouldn't be so comfortable to use (especially type something) the internet. There are a few hotels (and Monty's bar) who offer free internet (i.e. they have computers standing there) in the lobby for guests, this is something I really appreciate!

August 31st, 2011, 02:08
Happy Place has free WIFI internet for its customers.

christianpfc
August 31st, 2011, 04:10
That's why I wrote:
(i.e. they have computers standing there) I don't take a laptop (or anything else that can be used to access the internet via WiFi) with me on holiday, so I need a computer (that is provided by an internet cafe or hotel/bar/restaurant) to access the internet.

bucknaway
August 31st, 2011, 04:30
Last year I found my Iphone to to so useful that I purchased the Ipad to use in Thailand and to surf the web when I am at home. After much thought I have decided to bring my Iphone, Laptop and my Ipad along with me on this trip. Many of you may find technology to be a burden but I am one who LOVES it. I will buy swag for it all and try to use each item to its full potential.

The Iphone came in handy to SMS my friends. I was able to use the map to navigate my way around and drop digital pin in locations I wanted to find again using the phones ability to guide me in real time to the saved location. So if I found a bar on a dirt road in a alley behind a building. I could use the map feature to lead me to the saved location and in the darkest of nights I could go directly back to the bar on the dirt road in the alley behind the building with no problem!

My Thai friends LOVED playing the games on my Iphone. Angry Birds being the favorite at the time.

The Iphone also kept track of my travel plans to let me know where to find my hotel and stored my reservation information using a free program for the phone.

If a driver had trouble finding the place I wanted to go, I was able to use my Iphone to pull up a map or directions or even google translate to translate my english into thai.

I also used the Ipad function of the Iphone to play music on the plane and in my hotel room.

I am a active person and I like to utilize things that let me remain active and not slow me down. I only have 4 weeks to have a blast in Thailand and I am going to make the most of it the way I know I will enjoy. If you guys want to enjoy it a different way, go for it :)

witchhunt
August 31st, 2011, 18:06
Happy Place has free WIFI internet for its customers.

I cannot believe that people come to Pattaya, and bring their Ipad to the bars to play with, whilst watching the boys.

Does justme really believe he would get one customer.

August 31st, 2011, 20:56
No my dear. I did not say that it was sucsessful or even that this was put in originally for that purpose. The purpose is so that I may monitor the bar from an outside computer and make sure that the customers are being well taken care of. I merely was saying if someone had a phone that gets messages or some other device, we DO have WiFi.

bao-bao
August 31st, 2011, 21:34
No my dear. I did not say that it was sucsessful or even that this was put in originally for that purpose. The purpose is so that I may monitor the bar from an outside computer and make sure that the customers are being well taken care of.
Going to a club and surfing the web sounds a little silly to me, too - although a customer could check Gay Romeo or some other site to comparison shop the rates of the guy on stage who also has a profile, I guess - although that would be cheating the owner. I'd think a lit screen in a club would be just as offensive as those inconsiderate folks who text in the movies.

What is a little surprising is that an owner would reveal that their bar was under not only legally required surveillance - as some are - but possibly personal surveillance (note the security info below), as it sounds from the statement above about "monitoring the bar from an outside computer". Of course if you're not doing anything you wouldn't do in public then it shouldn't be a problem if someone is able to watch you via CCTV(?) from a remote location.

For those who'd like to see how "secure" wifi networks can be (NOT) there's a lorry-load of technical information on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security. Far more technical than I can understand, but for that reason alone it's a good warning for those who use them.

christianpfc
September 1st, 2011, 00:14
Every time I am in Thailand I am amazed about the newest developments in the mobile phone market (including other devices like ipod and ipad). However, I still prefer conventional means: pen and paper, maps, studying the language and using a paper-dictionary. But the day will come where I get one of these devices.

I merely was saying if someone had a phone that gets messages or some other device, we DO have WiFi.

Phones and "Happy Place" are two things that don't go well together. I will probably leave my phone in the hotel should I decide to visit your bar, lest I inadvertedly pull it out for whichever reason.
These ipads have a touchscreen, I'm sure you can write messages on the touchsreen, how do you prevent customers from exchanging phone number with boys this way?

jinks
September 1st, 2011, 00:36
I merely was saying if someone had a phone that gets messages or some other device, we DO have WiFi.

how do you prevent customers from exchanging phone number with boys this way?

He won't let it go, please Neal ignore this wind up.

September 1st, 2011, 04:49
I will ignore them.
People walk outside sometimes and want to have a smoke as smiking is not permitted in the bar and can if they wanted to, check their messages.

September 1st, 2011, 06:51
Every time I am in Thailand I am amazed about the newest developments in the mobile phone market (including other devices like ipod and ipad). However, I still prefer conventional means: pen and paper, maps, studying the language and using a paper-dictionary. But the day will come where I get one of these devices.

Phones and "Happy Place" are two things that don't go well together. I will probably leave my phone in the hotel should I decide to visit your bar, lest I inadvertedly pull it out for whichever reason.
These ipads have a touchscreen, I'm sure you can write messages on the touchsreen, how do you prevent customers from exchanging phone number with boys this way?

Hi,

I don't think he has anything to fear from you using such technology, does he??

Just look for the drooling guy in the corner writing down everything on his double folded A4 paper wearing a dirty mac and eating 25 baht pattaya mangos!........... :thebirdman:

bucknaway
September 1st, 2011, 06:53
The internet is taking on a bigger and bigger role in our everyday lives and cell phones are finding new and wonderful ways to utilize it and enhance our lives. It is only a small segment of the worlds population that is falling to the ground, banging their fists and stomping their feet while crying out loud.

The internet is there for those of us that find a use for it and I thank you. :notworthy:

September 1st, 2011, 06:57
The internet is taking on a bigger and bigger role in our everyday lives and cell phones are finding new and wonderful ways to utilize it and enhance our lives. It is only a small segment of the worlds population that is falling to the ground, banging their fists and stomping their feet while crying out loud.

The internet is there for those of us that find a use for it and I thank you. :notworthy:

Hi

It is indeed, a tool to be utilised, not a God or to take over every persons solitary minute! and you won't convince many people who like to enjoy other peoples company and conversation without all kinds of bells and whistles going off on a mobile and someone being rude saying ' Just hang on while I get this! '

cameroncat
September 1st, 2011, 07:05
I was one of the lucky few that managed to get in on the $99 HP TouchPad blowout. I think it would be fine for a short vacation, but for my upcoming 2 month stay in Thailand, the TouchPad stays home and my MacBook Air comes with me. I can use my iPhone to do most things I can do with a Tablet.

And BTW, Buck, You fly Korean Airlines? You truly are one that likes to live dangerously LOL.

thonglor55
September 1st, 2011, 09:30
The internet is there for those of us that find a use for it and I thank you.My favorite sport is to watch those fools who sit at roadside bars and cafes, not talking to their companions, ignoring what's going on around them - all the rich tapestry of life - busily updating their Facebook page.

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 11:02
Good idea...

1. For feasibility, factor in the cost of the 3G connection (or whatever they use for mobile broadband in Thailand) and check if it'd work for all or most of the route between the airport and Bangkok/Pattaya.

2. You'd have to decide whether to use it as an extra-fee earner or as a free value add to attract more customers... I would make it an free value add.

3. Definitely ideal for high-end providers like Image Limos. They already do newspapers etc. Perhaps get rid of the print stuff and just have a tablet with links to major newspapers.

4. It'd be a good promotional tool for the low to mid-tier providers who charge 1,000-1,500 for a Pattaya ride to invest in. Many of these guys have absolutely NOTHING to differentiate themselves from their competitors. The benefit having an internet-connected tablet PC to play around with, check e-mails, connect or read the news at the end of a long (and disconnected) flight will be appealing to some. If I ran one of those services I'd briefly survey each customer for a fortnight (to gauge interest) and then implement it if practical/appealing.

I usually want to check my e-mail as soon as I get off any plane but I can only do that in Australian cities. That's about the only value I see in having internet in a Thai cab for me personally.

To put this back on topic, why in the name of everything allegedly holy would someone want to fly 8,000 to 10,000 miles (or more) and not get their money's worth out of truly "being" at their destination?
Firstly, for some people, being in Thailand or another country is no big deal. Secondly, for other people, life at home (e.g. work and business) still goes on regardless of where we are so it's good to stay connected.

Thirdly, in case some haven't noticed, being connected can help you get the most out of where you are... whether it's finding where you are, finding a hotel to book into for your next stop, looking up a good restaurantr or all the online/mobile dating/hook up stuff as Bucknaway mentions a lot.

Come on.. Many of you guys are found on the internet 16 hours of the day and now want to take a dump on my idea for helping you stay connected.
Oh, it's not a bad idea - it just seems a little impractical. Can you imagine the rows between driver and passengers over damage to them - or, worse yet, trying to get somebody to put down a $500 deposit? A taxi driver can't risk that much, I don't think. A limo service might try it, though.
I don't think risk of damage makes it impractical. They're not that fragile. Airlines already hand out tablet PCs and other mobile entertainment units. Some hotels hand out tablet PCs too.

I went to one restaurant where the menu was on a tablet PC... everyone punched in their order and then handed it back to the waiter... the main problem with that was they needed to have one tablet PER PERSON instead of one tablet PER TABLE.

I'd think a lit screen in a club would be just as offensive as those inconsiderate folks who text in the movies.
REALLY? You think texting in a movie is inconsiderate? That's getting pretty delicate. Everyone does it. Talking in a movie isn't good (unless you keep it right down) but texting is fine, I think.

I was one of the lucky few that managed to get in on the $99 HP TouchPad blowout. I think it would be fine for a short vacation, but for my upcoming 2 month stay in Thailand, the TouchPad stays home and my MacBook Air comes with me. I can use my iPhone to do most things I can do with a Tablet.
Ya bastard! I only heard about that a few days later or I would've grabbed one.

Actually, I thought I'd use my tablet for those times when you're out and about and just want to read/browse stuff, like when you go downstairs for breakfast and want to scan the newsd, go out to a cafe to grab a bite or are waiting for someone in a bar. Except I found that my smart phone works fine for that kind of stuff so I'm not using my tablet as much as I imagined I would. My phone's always on me but my tablet only comes out if I think to carry it.

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 11:05
Trouble is, if we all "got along" and kept "our negative thoughts and dislikes of others to ourselves", what little content there was would consist of discussions on cock size, exchange rates, incarcerated "boyfriends", child-molesters, and advertisements for bars.

Whilst some avidly devour such details, I find them incredibly boring and would far rather watch a good, old-fashioned custard pie fight among the "regulars".

In my case it is nothing to do with disliking people - it's about having some fun.
Totally agree! You say the most sensible things sometimes... :happy7:

only one persona whom I cannot stick, stand, tolerate and whose next shit I hope is triangular.
When are you going to give Newalaan a kiss and take him off ignore?

bao-bao
September 1st, 2011, 19:47
Firstly, for some people, being in Thailand or another country is no big deal.
Fine - those people are excused and have permission from those of us who truly appreciate travel to simply stay home. Problem solved. A vacation is a vacation - not breaks between meetings. Business travel is another animal entirely.

I'd think a lit screen in a club would be just as offensive as those inconsiderate folks who text in the movies.
REALLY? You think texting in a movie is inconsiderate? That's getting pretty delicate. Everyone does it. Talking in a movie isn't good (unless you keep it right down) but texting is fine, I think.
That's the crux of the problem: those who agree with that line of thinking are mainly thinking about themselves and what they're imagining as their needs and wants. No problem with that in and of itself, but it shouldn't inconvenience others.

Some theater chains here have had to start showing short MTV-type videos before the feature starts telling people to silence their phones and not to text during the movie, and you're still liable to have someone within visible range open their distracting contraption to post a breathless message to Facebook saying "at the movies seeing Harry Potter 7!".

Technology has in many ways been a godsend and has its place, but it obviously can become a crutch for some.

Patexpat
September 1st, 2011, 20:16
The internet is there for those of us that find a use for it and I thank you.My favorite sport is to watch those fools who sit at roadside bars and cafes, not talking to their companions, ignoring what's going on around them - all the rich tapestry of life - busily updating their Facebook page.

there is an excellent ad from DTAC showing at the movies .... essentially showing individuals using their smart phones, with the background fading out and showing what they are missing in 'real' life ... and how much more fun reality is when they turn off their phones and join in with what is happening around them ... I thought this was a great ad, especially from a mobile phone provider!

Over many years I have employed many IT techies, and it is technology that makes them tick, and technology is their raison d'etre ... I have learned to let them get on with it (after all they are always learning new stuff applicable to my business, always a bonus) but being a slave to technology leaves me cold. Applying that technology wisely is a different matter. (eg I had a car phone back in the early 80's and was great for business). But missing the ability to use the internet on a 2 hour drive to Pattaya is just nuts! Get a life! It already too short!

Smiles
September 1st, 2011, 20:22
"... But missing the ability to use the internet on a 2 hour drive to Pattaya is just nuts! ... "
All wrapped up in a nutshell. :hello1: Thank you Patexpat.

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 22:31
missing the ability to use the internet on a 2 hour drive to Pattaya is just nuts!
That's twisting the rationale of the OP. No one's saying they're "missing the ability" to use the internet for 2 hours. Bucknaway's just saying it'd be a great perk and a good promotional tool.

Honestly, what else are you doing, other than sleeping or listening to music during those two hours? Marveling at Thai billboards?

Personally, I don't care much about net access in cabs as I can wait until I check in but I'd love to have the net on the plane.

Fine - those people are excused and have permission from those of us who truly appreciate travel to simply stay home. Problem solved. A vacation is a vacation - not breaks between meetings. Business travel is another animal entirely.
People need your permission? Stay home? You're kidding right?

Sorry, but there's a growing segment of the population for which the concept of working 9-5 days to only vacation for 4-6 weeks a year is redundant. It's not about whether you appreciate travel or truly take breaks. It's about flexibility and choice.

I choose to stay connected when I'm traveling so when I REALLY need to disconnect for something like a week long trek through minority tribe villages, white water rafting trip or a kayaking expedition where there's really no phone/net access... I can. Lots of people do the same. So yes, having access to the net is important for lots of people.

And what about the third group of people I mentioned, like Bucknaway? You don't think it's ok for them to use technology for them to get the most out of their travels?

That's the crux of the problem: those who agree with that line of thinking are mainly thinking about themselves and what they're imagining as their needs and wants. No problem with that in and of itself, but it shouldn't inconvenience others.

Some theater chains here have had to start showing short MTV-type videos before the feature starts telling people to silence their phones and not to text during the movie, and you're still liable to have someone within visible range open their distracting contraption to post a breathless message to Facebook saying "at the movies seeing Harry Potter 7!".

Technology has in many ways been a godsend and has its place, but it obviously can become a crutch for some.
I agree to the extent of TALKING and RING TONES (including SMS beeps) as I get annoyed with that too... But to have an issue with someone else texting in a cinema is ridiculous. Everyone I've ever gone into a cinema with has done it.

Your line about people "mainly thinking about themselves and what they're imagining as their needs and wants" is better applied to yourself.

Patexpat
September 1st, 2011, 23:05
missing the ability to use the internet on a 2 hour drive to Pattaya is just nuts!
That's twisting the rationale of the OP. No one's saying they're "missing the ability" to use the internet for 2 hours. Bucknaway's just saying it'd be a great perk and a good promotional tool.

Well that would be true IF I was addressing the OP, but I'm not. I am addressing my feelings against subsequent postings that infer not being in constant communication with the outside world is somehow unacceptable.

I for one do not answer my mobile phone if I'm in a meeting or talking to someone, (that's what the answering service is for) but I don't know of any Thai that could resist answering their phone if it is ringing! May be I am old fashioned, but a lesson learnt over many years: there are very few things in life that can't wait a while to be attended to. :thumbleft:

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 23:38
Well that would be true IF I was addressing the OP, but I'm not. I am addressing my feelings against subsequent postings that infer not being in constant communication with the outside world is somehow unacceptable.
Fair enough... then I agree with you.

I for one do not answer my mobile phone if I'm in a meeting or talking to someone, (that's what the answering service is for) but I don't know of any Thai that could resist answering their phone if it is ringing! May be I am old fashioned, but a lesson learnt over many years: there are very few things in life that can't wait a while to be attended to. :thumbleft:
I don't answer my phone during meetings either. Funny, I've noticed that about some Thais and a lot of Asians in general, always answering, not matter the situation too. They don't seem to have the same standard of etiquette ingrained... I pick up less than quarter of the calls I get. The rest go to voicemail.

October 10th, 2011, 12:08
Most times I simply nap (quote)bucknaway

You'll have plenty of time for napping in Pattaya. :sleepy2:

Beachlover
October 10th, 2011, 23:56
Good on you, Bucky!

Hey, what prepaid/package did you get from Dtac and where? How much was it and what did it include? Have you picked up a sim card for your mobile too?

Beachlover
October 13th, 2011, 22:23
The number of restaurants using iPads to deliver their menu is growing...

I went to one restaurant recently, which had a paper food menu but their wine list was on an iPad with a nice leather cover. It was cool because you could filter your selection by certain preference, type or country. E.g. you can click тАЬwines by the glassтАЭ to only see what they offer by the glass.

Anyone been to any restaurants or hotels in Thailand, which have this?

bucknaway
October 15th, 2011, 10:06
Good on you, Bucky!

Hey, what prepaid/package did you get from Dtac and where? How much was it and what did it include? Have you picked up a sim card for your mobile too?

I went to Dtac in the "Silom Complex"? They have an unlimited Ipad/Iphone internet package. It cost less than 800 baht for the sim and the month of unlimited 3g internet on the ipad so I got the same package on the Iphone.

The only thing is that here in Pattaya there is no Dtac 3g, but it connects to Dtac Edge network.

October 15th, 2011, 22:32
my word whoring has really got technical now-a-days :snorting:
im surprised sompeople dont die whilst on the plane when the phone cant be switched on !!
mind you if it deprives the bars of 300 baht income its not all bad .. haha justme ... only joking dear.. cant beat looking at the real thing ...

bucknaway
November 27th, 2011, 21:05
I am still a fan of the idea of having a internet connected tablet in the car you hire to take you to or from Pattaya. Some of you wondered how you would mount it. Others wondered about connectivity. I have found a great mounting solution http://cnettv.cnet.com/ipad-your-car-re ... 14772.html (http://cnettv.cnet.com/ipad-your-car-rear-seat/9742-1_53-50114772.html) I can also tell you that I used Dtac to stay connected to the web on my iphone and ipad on my trip to and from Pattaya.

I still think this is a great idea and if I had a car hire service in Thailand I would try to be the first guy to offer this service and not play catch-up to others who already begun to offer rear seat entertainment/web - internet access.

Beachlover
December 6th, 2011, 19:57
Hey Bucknaway... Do you know a mobile provider that supports tethering*? I don't think DTAC does. Anyone done it with another provider? AIS or one of the others?

*Tethering - enables my phone to transmit a WiFi signal so my laptop can feed off my phone's internet connection.