PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowding on BTS/MRT

thonglor55
August 29th, 2011, 02:27
I had to travel extensively on the BTS and Airport Link services on Saturday and wonder if the management will start adding extra carriages to the Sukhumvit Line service now they have four extra stations. On Saturday evening the services between Siam and Victory Monument were reminiscent of rush hour on the Tokyo subway. The Airport Link has now instituted half-hourly express services between Phya Thai and the Airport. I think it takes about 15 minutes, and there's an introductory promotional fare of (I think) 90 baht. However almost all travelers I saw on Saturday used the standard service so perhaps it isn't being promoted at the Airport end? It's certainly heavily promoted at Phya Thai station, but passengers aren't allowed up to the platform until the train is ready, so have to mill about in a special (and small) holding pen behind the ticket barriers. Security then enables the elevator (maximum capacity 5 passengers with suitcases) just before the train pulls out. Passengers can only occupy the last car; the others are locked off. Why? Who knows! Another glorious This Is Thailand shambles.